What's new

Game Informer - Ed Boon On Mortal Kombat's Biggest Misconception

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I don't know where the link can be found, but there was that interview where the NRS employee said they would be supporting MK11 for a looooong time.
Yeah he immediately re contextualized it as "no I didn't mean that, I meant it more as MK11 is going to have a lot of content".

Everyone wants MK11 to break the NRS cycle curse, but until given concrete reason to believe otherwise I don't see why its going to.

Derico

Banned
He's bored of Mortal Kombat, or the characters, story?

Honestly, i don't think we will see nothing mk related for a while, vs, action game, nothing.

And it's the RIGHT decision. Mk and Injustice are starting to mix its ideas and gameplay concept.

Give a break, support mk11 for years and release an original ip! (im sick of marvel and dc games meh)

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I'd so be down for a Marvel vs Anything. I way prefer Marvel over DC

*ducks incoming chair

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's about time they made a new IP and branch out into another genre, they've been straight money for a decade. I hope they make that persistent online game that Boon was talking about.

Boons going to sound tired/bored regardless, he's probably counting the minutes to launch when he'll finally be able to get sleep. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear about fighter/MK fatigue in NRS.

"...That [Mortal Kombat] is just about the violence"
For me, it's not that -- not even close... Which is a good thing, given the violence has long departed Visceral Station, expressed past Shockingville, and is on the beeline for Absurdly Caricatured Point. However, I'm definitely in the minority (see: any fighting game related post I've made... anywhere... ever), and my 90's arcade gamer sensibilities are certainly not the overarching opinions of the wider MK-playing, normie consumer demographic.

If the series took the term "Mortal" literally, the game would not sell even a fraction of the "almost 11 million units" that MKX did. Sadly, the underlying gameplay [depth] simply isn't there to sustain the game in the niche genre it exists in. Hence, why so much emphasis is placed on productions values, story modes, ancillary game components (read: non fighting game specific elements), over the game's gameplay -- the former is seen as far more integral to the game's selling potential, than its fighting mechanics are. If anything -- and with the exception of the odd spike in complexity (example: "pro moves" in MKvDCU) -- graphed, MK games' gameplay has been on steady learning curve decline for years, and MK11 may prove to be the steepest dip yet.

Heck, when they even intimated towards freshening-up the gameplay, via the individualisation of the series' "EX" mechanic (i.e., non-universal "Amplify" input schemes), their idea was blow out of the water by a militia of seething casuals. Why would they even bother refining gameplay when people only care about cleavage splayed and claret spilt...? ¯\ (v_v) /¯

'Course, Boon could speak so candidly. It' is all just "busine$$", after all... And that's why the "it's [not] just about the violence" line rings so "Trumpian".
>inb4 all hand-to-hand / weapon-to-weapon combat inherently necessitates violence / semantics
---

Also, the comment we should all take the most away from:
"...The Internet is so many voice that, at some point, you just have to kind of tune out."

Last edited:

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I think Ed resents the idea that we only play these games because we love gore. There's such a universe to explore in these games too, stories built throughout the decades.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK's first element of attraction is of course the brutal, gory, bloody violence but MK has evolved a lot since MK 1 and is not the only reason people love MK. I mean just look at all the forms of media MK has also spawned over the years from cartoons, shows, movies, fanmade films/shorts, web series, comics, toys, collectables, fan lore etc, etc people would not invest this kind of time into something if they felt it didn't have anything to offer beyond just the violence.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Masters of The Universe could be badass, I know nothing about it, it’s before my time but looking at some of the art makes me see how fun it would be to use these characters in a fighting game.

Would legit cream myself if they got their hands on the marvel IP. I’d main either Star Lord or Black Panther probably, but I also love Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Cyclops, and Wolverine.

I would be excited for a NRS to try their hand at another type of game again. I can't help but think about those people who asked for a specific character like Beast Boy for multiple games and had to feel like "next game is the one." Only for NRS to switch to a different type of game entirely

I would love for them to just release and expansion pack for this with more kharacters,modes,skins,gears,fatalities,Brutalities and stages and move on to Shaolin Monks 2

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
I didn't interpret it as Ed being bored. It was more like "I don't want to be remembered as the MK-guy and do some other stuff as well." He reminds me of Toriyama, really. How much he hated loving Dragon Ball, and how much he couldn't get away from it and ended up coming back.
This.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Don't be surprised if He-Man or someone like that appears as a guest character in the next Injustice game or Marvel VS DC if that happens. There is an Injustice VS Masters of the Universe comic. :)

I didn't really get into it though because idk much about Masters of the Universe.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Don't be surprised if He-Man or someone like that appears as a guest character in the next Injustice game or Marvel VS DC if that happens. There is an Injustice VS Masters of the Universe comic. :)

I didn't really get into it though because idk much about Masters of the Universe.
No shit I didn’t know that lol. He man had some cool characters, it’s a classic. It didn’t hold up well today from what I watched recently but it was awesome in the 80s. I’m curious to see how kittleson reimagined them. Dolph lundgren plays him in the movie. It’s an okay movie if you can withstand the onslaught of 80s cheese lol.

Same with thundercats and a bunch of others. I would not hate on a PG-13 fighting game with the classic action cartoons. Ninja turtles in injustice looked awesome, I don’t play that game though. I’m just not a big dc fan besides the Batman stuff and a few of the oddballs like Constantine.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
No shit I didn’t know that lol. He man had some cool characters, it’s a classic. It didn’t hold up well today from what I watched recently but it was awesome in the 80s. I’m curious to see how kittleson reimagined them. Dolph lundgren plays him in the movie. It’s an okay movie if you can withstand the onslaught of 80s cheese lol.

Same with thundercats and a bunch of others. I would not hate on a PG-13 fighting game with the classic action cartoons. Ninja turtles in injustice looked awesome, I don’t play that game though. I’m just not a big dc fan besides the Batman stuff and a few of the oddballs like Constantine.
Ya the only fighting game i play in MK, but the ninja turtles are one of my all time favorite characters, so I kinda wish I would have gotten I2, just to play them . . .. but i'll wait for the next TMNT game.

I miss 80's movie cheese, add Flash Gordon to the game too, with his bad ass theme song by Queen.

J_in_CA

Noob
They are smart when it comes to supporting this game for a longer period of time than the last couple of games. I would guess it only takes a small crew to make DLC characters and skins and they can move the majority on for something else. Plus with a new gen coming next year they'll likely do a re-release with all of the DLC or even just upgrade the current version with new graphical enhancements etc. I will miss MK like crazy if they move on for a little while but I totally get them wanting to do something else after all this time.

Nulak

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nulak
I think Nioh or Sekiro could have been done by NRS in some way. They could use their own "horror-fantasy" game design experience to do something similar.