What's new

Game Informer - Ed Boon On Mortal Kombat's Biggest Misconception

Outworld Slasher

Cannibalistic Humanoid Fleshpit Dweller
Interesting.

Boon gives me the impression he's somewhat bored of Mortal Kombat. That could be me reading into it, but I feel like MK11 might be the last MK game for a while, maybe even more than four years given NRS got their hands on another IP; Marvel, perhaps?

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I definitely think this is gonna be the last MK game we see for a while tbh. I'm all for them branching off and creating new projects. I'm gonna hold out hope for a Marvel VS DC game though lol.

It's interesting though. Are they going to keep making fighting games, or are they gonna branch even further than that? I'm excited to see where they go!

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
It sounds like they're going to step away from MK, or at the very least they want to. Especially if that story ending leak is true, we might not see another Mortal Kombat for a very long time.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Interesting.

Boon gives me the impression he's somewhat bored of Mortal Kombat.
i don't know if bored is how I would describe it, but I agree that it seems like they want to pivot away from it for a bit. And who can blame them really? They keep knocking it out of the park every time, it would certainly build the confidence of the studio to try other things.

maybe even more than four years given NRS got their hands on another IP; Marvel, perhaps?
I want this so bad, but i'm torn of whether it should be a traditional VS style game or closer to Injustice.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am glad he said it because it's true. The blood and violence are a part of MK's identity but that was never the reason I kept playing them after first expierecning them as a kid. I was obsessed with the story/lore/character endings, the atmosphere, characters, stages etc. I never once bought one thinking "Yep, hope the fatalities are good in this one or im done with this series!" lol

And yeah like somebody else said Boon might be a little tired of MK. I don't think he has gotten to work on anything other than that since MK started has he? Ignoring Injustice of course.

I can see MK11 being it for along time as well at least as a fighter I can see a shaolin monks 2 or something similar Boon seemed excited about that in the rapid fire interview and Marvel vs DC would be so awesome I hope they do it I've wanted that for 29 years and I think NRS would be the best studio for it by far

Gamer68

Fujin!
Near the end of the Midway days they had to pump out MK games fast, then as NRS they have been on this constant flip-flopping between MK, Injustice, MK, Injustice, MK. He probably IS bored and wants to break the cycle.

It makes me wonder what exactly he wants to do, though? He's talking like he's done with FGs for a while and wants to do a new genre, but at the same time he's having meetings with Marvel about potential FGs.

I guess he's willing to do anything that isn't MK and Injustice again.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It's fair if NRS and Ed Boon get a little washed up regarding sustaining MK games at high level quality all these years, and want to try others things, other thematics stuff, other games experiences etc .... fair point, no argument here .... if they choose to release a new MK game only 8 years after MK11, ok, no hard feelings, we understand .... ;)

NRS is creative enough to venture in others IP and create/produce very good games outside MK franchise, no doubt about that.

However, always remember where you come from and be grateful ! MK is fantastic as franchise and IMO should never be abandoned indefinitely, even because MK is lucrative as hell as a product .... so, yeah, we can wait, but please, never give up of producing future MK games, they kick ass ! :D

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I didn't interpret it as Ed being bored. It was more like "I don't want to be remembered as the MK-guy and do some other stuff as well." He reminds me of Toriyama, really. How much he hated loving Dragon Ball, and how much he couldn't get away from it and ended up coming back.

EDIT: If, however, MK does end up getting released less frequently, adding fan favorites in the roster is more important than ever. It would suck for Reptile fans to play with their fave char in the latest game once every twelve years or something.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This and the developers saying that MK11 will have years of support makes me think that Injustice 3 will not come in 2021 (which is a great thing imo).

I'd love to see what NRS is capable of in other genre's. I'll support anything they do at this point as long as they keep supporting MK11.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
This and the developers saying that MK11 will have years of support makes me think that Injustice 3 will not come in 2021 (which is a great thing imo).

I'd love to see what NRS is capable of in other genre's. I'll support anything they do at this point as long as they keep supporting MK11.
said wisely here, Circus ! yeah, keep MK11 updated with new content, fresh with new DLCs along the next years, and we will support (AKA buying :DOGE) all others games NRS create next ! Do we have a deal, NRS ?? :)

Kishido

Noob
It sounds like they're going to step away from MK, or at the very least they want to. Especially if that story ending leak is true, we might not see another Mortal Kombat for a very long time.
What leak can you post it for me?

Further more there are more than one ending so how can one ending leak tell us something?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
From a marketing and sales standpoint, MKX could have sold so many more copies if Injustice 2 didn't come out and diminish it's burning flame.

Look at games like Overwatch that sold tons the first few years, but continues to make money because of the continuous support from Blizzard. There's no need for an Overwatch 2 anytime soon.

I believe that when MKX came out, they were expecting it to do good, but not "11million copies" good. They already had Injustice 2 in the cooker in the first year of MKX's release because they thought that the "more games more money" strategy would be the way to go.

Many ESports games last a good 4-5 years at this point though.

It'd only make sense that NRS and Warner Brother's see that they can milk MK11 for more years instead of investing tons of money into another fighter that'll overshadow the previous game.

If NRS make a new game entirely, MK11 will still be making boat-loads of money AND this new non-fighting game will be making money too without overshadowing MK11.

It's a win-win.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Time to revive THRILL KILL!!

(lol I wish)

He does seem bored. I'd like to see a new fighting game from him.
Someone else could carry on with MK, like Vogel. Or bring back John Tobias, we're missing some mystical stories here.
I had that game! I liked it. Didn’t understand why it got banned/cancelled/whatever... it didn’t seem any worse than Mortal Kombat really. They definitely should’ve released it.

E

Eldriken

Action. Game.

Make it happen, NRS. I believe you could pull a Platinum Games quality action game. It's just there waiting for you to take the leap.

Combat, environmental creativity, polish, quality, etc. You have all the skills you need to make it happen.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I think they might do one more Mortal Kombat game ala Trilogy/Armageddon, and then probably move on to new projects. Not that there won't be anymore MK games in the future, but the franchise might be put on the shelf for a bit, or maybe some other teams will pick it up and do a new adventure style game, something like that.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I think they might do one more Mortal Kombat game ala Trilogy/Armageddon, and then probably move on to new projects. Not that there won't be anymore MK games in the future, but the franchise might be put on the shelf for a bit, or maybe some other teams will pick it up and do a new adventure style game, something like that.
Yes!
Having a "dream team" game once in a while is fine. Other franchises do that all the time.

This MK should have all rosters from MK9 to MK11. It'd be godlike!