What separate good players from pros?

• Combos

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Fundamentals

Votes: 86 96.6%

• Total voters

Sanjo

Noob
Recently today, I had a discussion with another poster and now I'm really interested to know the global opinion here regarding the topic :
FUNDAMENTALS OR COMBOS
Between these 2 :
what makes the difference between good players and pros?
What requires more skill ?
What's harder to master ?

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Recently today, I had a discussion with another poster and now I'm really interested to know the global opinion here regarding the topic :
FUNDAMENTALS OR COMBOS
Between these 2 :
Fundamentals by a landslide. You could have the most optimal shit in the world and get bodied by someone who can only do 20% max in a combo because they simply know how to play better than you. Its like with combo artists, they make interesting stuff and find the highest damage but that doesn’t indicate in the slightest that they understand the game.

Gaxkang

Banned
Well fundamentals yeah...especially if things are balanced enough.

I'm not really a combo player...and the dial system makes it more difficult for me too, or how some moves just...are nitpicky about inputs. In another game inputs would come out fine, in this no.
So with me it's more actual fighting, rather than looking for that touch to enter the single player game of long combo inputs. I myself don't like big damaging combos in fighting games, really. Which goes against the grain I suppose.

So I rely on a lot of fundamental stuff. As well as one can in this game...I think the game kinda doesn't promote it enough in its gameplay.

Like other day I was playing Shao Kahn and the other person chose Shao Kahn too. I could tell they could do Shao Khan combos, while I was not using combos beyond very simple stuff like say, meter burned shoulder charge and uppercut.
He lost.

Then he switched to Jacqui...and the combination of her natural advantages plus combos, left my Kahn with little to do.

And they were cocky about it and I'm thinking like, if you were that skilled you would have beaten with me with Kahn and not needed to lean on Jacqui. :rolleyes:

Now if say a character can take half a lifebar with a combo...will they need fundamentals as much? A question of balance I suppose... ;)

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I think fundamentals. When I first started taking fighting games seriously I thought it was about combos, so I would spend a ton of time just learning combos...then realized once you face another person those combos do no good if you never get the chance to actually perform them on your opponent.

So IMO fundamentals are more important because I feel like in most cases the person who is a better player fundamentally is going to be the player who actually gets to use those combos. Obviously this is not always the case because balance and stuff but I feel like just at a surface level fundamentals are going to carry you farther than knowing a bunch of combos because like I said knowing a bunch of crazy combos do you no good if you never get the chance to do them.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Fundamentals by far. Jab anti Airing consistently alone was a pain in the ass to get used too (especially in mkx). There is also way more Knowledge involved. The better your fundamentals and understanding of the game is the easier and faster you can adapt to the shitty habits people have.

Vagrant

Noob
This is not even close. Requires much more mental execution and a much broader field of preparation and skill development.

I would argue a player isn’t even “good” if they just have combos memorized and don’t have any sort of fundamentals.

What separates the good from the elite is how much you know about the game, how consistently you can execute, and how quickly you can interpret information and adjust.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
This is a strange question as they go hand in hand.They are both important.
Fundamentals is a very broard term.
You utilize your fundamentals to set up situations where you can cause your opponent to make a mistake so you can cause damage. You want to take advantage of the situation by doing the most damage possible. Combos will give you you the most damage.

Lokheit

Noob
Learning combos is what puts you above your button masher friends. Once you have your BnBs you need fundamentals. You don't even need to learn that almost impossible combo that deals just 3% more damage, usually it won't matter as much as the number of times you can open up your opponent.

Fundamentals are way harder to learn and define more what a good player is (and I'm saying this as someone who has had a lot of time to lab combo routes and setups and very little time to actually play against people to get better, the struggle gets real).

In a nutshell "fundamentals" are the implementation of your overall understanding of the game and its mechanics. Offense, defense, neutral, what your options are in a given situation vs your opponent's, so on and so forth. Combos are just one small facet of the overall. There you go. A great fundamental player would beat a combo video highlight reel creator without even using combos if it came down to it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is a strange question as they go hand in hand.They are both important.
Fundamentals is a very broard term.
You utilize your fundamentals to set up situations where you can cause your opponent to make a mistake so you can cause damage. You want to take advantage of the situation by doing the most damage possible. Combos will give you you the most damage.
this is actually where the depth of tekken comes in play so much and i love it.
Some character have easiest tools for whiff punishing, but isn't scary, and they have a combo one, which iis dificult to use as whiff punish consistently and requires more work.

another part where this takes a huge notice its during neutral, whoever has a life lead, plays usually to get a little more, as the match develops, if one finds a big opening the combo he does, might decide who takes the lead so the momentum might shift and who is following who might actually change.

Which is a big quid pro quo between fundamentals and exeuction, you can't have one, you need to have both, and while fundamentals are important it dosn't make execution far less important

Matix218

Get over here!
Is this even a question? I use all the same combos as the pro players who use my character but they would destroy me. Fundamentals of course.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
FUNDAMENTALS OR COMBOS
Between these 2 :
My answer is fundamentals but I'd argue combos are part of fundies. I think you misunderstood me in the other thread. Side switches, reading you opponent and punishing with the most optimal response, setting up oki, corner carry into restands ect are apart of fundamentals as well as proper spacing, identifying player tendencies, adjusting to your opponents, making good reads, footsie, Wiff punishing, shimmy, setplay, optimizing staggers, Anti Airing JIK/JIP, Frame perfect-frame traps, wave dashing and cancels is all needed to play at a high level.

How you start, carry and end your combos are very important in every MK but you can't play at a high level without fundamentals.

Having the execution and awareness to optimise your combos reduces the number of times you'll have to outplay your opponent to win a match but you need the fundamentals to land the combos in the first place.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Having the execution and awareness to optimise your combos reduces the number of times you'll have to outplay your opponent to win a match but you need the fundamentals to land the combos in the first place.
totally agreed !