What's new

Guide - Sorcerer Full Sorcerer Guide by PND Ketchup

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
you can only say you dont like the way other sorcerers play when you place like ketchup until then he is undeniably the best sorcerer
I took what he said as "I see most quan's do unoptimised stuff." I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out, because no quan is doing the exact optimised combos for each situation. If you're know you're going for chip, your max damage bnb's change. I haven't seen quans make these kinds of adjustments yet. And Gustavness' corner stuff is most definitely the highest damage stuff we've seen so far.

Let's talk dudes. Not bicker.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
I took what he said as "I see most quan's do unoptimised stuff." I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out, because no quan is doing the exact optimised combos for each situation. If you're know you're going for chip, your max damage bnb's change. I haven't seen quans make these kinds of adjustments yet. And Gustavness' corner stuff is most definitely the highest damage stuff we've seen so far.

Let's talk dudes. Not bicker.
but he literally said other quans arent playing him right which is funny i dont see him ttop 8 at rvo annd 3rd at a major right after

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
but he literally said other quans arent playing him right which is funny i dont see him ttop 8 at rvo annd 3rd at a major right after
For the third time I'll reiterate that it doesn't matter what he said. WE don't have to engage with how it was delivered, just the quality of the content. Discuss tech. If you think he has an ego, who cares? Let's just ignore it.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
For the third time I'll reiterate that it doesn't matter what he said. WE don't have to engage with how it was delivered, just the quality of the content. Discuss tech. If you think he has an ego, who cares? Let's just ignore it.
third time? And i will i just want him to stop being an egotistical moron

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Jesus Christ

Lets be clear: Listen to the video again, and i said "..because I don't feel like people are doing certain things right...and thats just my opinion"

My opinion hasnt changed. The whole thing that started this was me saying i disagree with the combos he does, and how every single quan i've ever talked to approaches the chip portal in the corner. and i still do. I just posted what i felt were optimized combos, and a different way to think about chip portal in the corner.

Quan is a two touch character from anywhere on the screen. I watched ketchup and was rooting for him this weekend regardless of him screaming for me to go fuck myself. it pains me to see him do 30% combos and drop rounds/matches he should have won. I WANT HIM TO WIN

I'm sorry people took offense to whatever the fuck they took offense to. I am not a "Ra Helios", i have already openly stated that he is a better player than me, I do not play online, I just play locally with some good players once a week. I dont know what the hell else you all want. It's like nobody fucking reads.

The video was not a tech video, again, just demonstrations on what i feel are his best optimizations and my reasons why.

At this point, i'm scrapping the other stuff i was going to post on. God speed, you will no longer have to listen to me be an egotistical moron. Or actually read what i'm writing.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
So basically this thread arguement is about why ketchup is not using quan chi to it prime and he is limiting himself by doing so?

Solignac

Noob
Well if anybody cares about Sorcerer Quan discussion anymore:
In the corner, after the standing 3, it can be a little tricky to run cancel and land the F212 in time into the Close MB rune to start the rune trap, mainly if you're playing online with the awesome netcode.
I can imagine this is because one too many presses of 2 will lead to the full F2122.
Instead of F212, it appears you can jail with a run cancel 14 after the standing 3.
While this does build less meter AND inflicts less chip, it can be a more reliable way of closing out the round. Before his graceful in-game and real life brutality on Forever King Jr, this is how Ketchup closed the match out at EVO. See roundabouts 5:15

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey guys! Now EVO is done and dusted, I thought id put together a guide for those looking into playing Sorcerer a little more! This isn't necessarily a guide on everything you should do, it's more of a video compiling some of the tech that I use that everyone should incorporate into their game in my opinion.

Sorcerer is lethal. Although he suffers the same issues as Summoner when he's knocked down, he receives a different bag of rewards when he lands the all important hit, depending on the type of player you are. Feel free to give it a look, share he love if you like what you see.

Cheers! - Ketchup
Is skull to far rune a true frame trap?

Also is kitana one of those characters where u must run xx 14 MB rune for the hex setup to work?

@Laos_boy
Maybe my timing is off but last night was my first time vs a mournful (for any character) and I swear man 14 after d3 always whiffed . Is this a "me" timing issue? Probably is

I will say when the hex thing worked OMG it felt dirty lol

Main issues I'm having 3 days in w quan is constant drops of 141 ended into portal. I miss the wonder a lot, it's embarrassing lol

Knowing my best BNB to go to per situation. For example, if I hit someone w a raw NJp understanding instinctually what to do.

Let me ask you this. Anytime the opponenet has 40% life left and I just hit them w a raw trance or b2 trance is it best here to go for hex or bigger combo into armor portal?

Also is it just me or does quan d2 kinda suck?

I'm really enjoying this character, all info is appreciated

Picking up summoner too this weekend

Pig Of The Hut

@PND_Mustard also is it just me or is RUNE/RUNE MB always guaranteed after a throw on hit? This has been working ridiculous for me . I know they can wake up armor but that's definitely adv quan

Creates a serious threat on knockdown

@Laos_boy

Solignac

Noob
Is skull to far rune a true frame trap?

I'm not sure but in warlock, portal kick after a skull that hits is.

Also is kitana one of those characters where u must run xx 14 MB rune for the hex setup to work?

Maybe my timing is off but last night was my first time vs a mournful (for any character) and I swear man 14 after d3 always whiffed . Is this a "me" timing issue? Probably is

Ye, she has a small hitbox so you have to run after the 14 in order to jail. Very strict timing. Keep in mind no matter what character, you have to be mindful of the range. If you do a max range d3, it's tougher to jail. Sometimes it feels like you still can after a run, sometimes it feels like you just can't jail because you're too far away.

I will say when the hex thing worked OMG it felt dirty lol

Main issues I'm having 3 days in w quan is constant drops of 141 ended into portal. I miss the wonder a lot, it's embarrassing lol

Yeah it feels like after they messed with the run cancels, they became harder. There's one thing to keep in mind and one thing you could do to guarantee it on most characters. Remember that if you hit your opponent too many times, you won't be able to do the run cancel because they have too much gravity. So for example instead of doing b324, njp, 4, trance INSTEAD do b324, 4 trance so you won't use up all the gravity. Another is b2, close mbrune, b2 trance INSTEAD do b2, close mbrune, trance. Rule of thumb is, you go for more damage, go for even more by doing the hex right after trance (because you can't f2122 rc 141 into the armor) or just armor during the trance. Alternatively, you can just 141 while they are tranced instead of juggling them into an air 141. Some characters can punish this but most can't. I think it was summer jam where michaelangelo did this. Reliable way to get a rune out. Opponents recover after trance, 141 faster than trance f2122, rc, 141 but unless they're wake up superman'ing, you should be safe.

Knowing my best BNB to go to per situation. For example, if I hit someone w a raw NJp understanding instinctually what to do.

This just takes practice. You'll be NJPing alot since Quan has a great NJP. Most of the time I just go with a standing 4 after an NJP and do a rune setup.

Let me ask you this. Anytime the opponenet has 40% life left and I just hit them w a raw trance or b2 trance is it best here to go for hex or bigger combo into armor portal?

If you're in the corner, after a b2 trance, you could probably shave 39% without a rune at all.
b2, trance, (hex if you want), f2122, njp, 4, 4, 14, close mbrune, 4, close rune. Drop the 14 for i think 37% dmg. Much easier.
Armor is always a safe option since you're left at an advantage.
I would probably armor if I was midscreen if you want reliability. Seeing as if they roll away, you're the best zoner in the game, and if they rushdown, you have a hit of armor.
You could try for the hex but the rune traps are tough to do.
I usually go for traps after a b324 starter since i can get more damage than just a b2 or a raw trance.

Also is it just me or does quan d2 kinda suck?

With a 6f d1 and a d3 that can jail with 14, I don't ever use d2.

I'm really enjoying this character, all info is appreciated

Picking up summoner too this weekend
Sorry for any spelling mistakes or more optimal combos, not in game atm.

Last edited:

Israfel

Designer for BxA
@PND_Mustard also is it just me or is RUNE/RUNE MB always guaranteed after a throw on hit? This has been working ridiculous for me . I know they can wake up armor but that's definitely adv quan

Creates a serious threat on knockdown

@Laos_boy
Raw trance get's a lot of ppl after a throw as well now that throw is +2 for Quan Chi. So many people I've played get mad because of the trance after throw.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
His uppercut starts in 9 frames. That's not bad for an uppercut. I don't think it sucks.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Now @Pig Of The Hut your bnbs will change slightly depending on if you're going for the chip portal or not. It can be hard to adjust on the fly but it's still useful knowing what's best for each situation. The combo's I'm gonna list are all from memory (haven't played quan in a while so if I'm slightly off someone let me know).

Highest Damage without chip:

Meterless

b2xxtrance, f2212xxrc, njp, 141

f2212, st4xxtrance, jip, f2212, 141

b324, st4xxrance, jip, f2212, 141

njp, st4xxtrance, jip, f2212, 141

1bar
b2xxmb rune, st4xxtrance, jip, f2212xxrc, 141 (the timing here is quite tight, omit the st4 before trance to make it easier)

b32xxmb run, trance, jip, f2212xxrc, 141 (st4 won't work here, gravity scaling too high)

f2212, st4xxEN trance, jip, f2212, 141 (EN trance reduces scaling on second half of combo, adds more damage than mb rune can. Best used midscreen, meter better for chip in corner)

njp, st4xxEN trance, jip, f2212, 141

Highest Damage without chip:
Here I'll just list the pre trance notation. You just wanna get in as much damage pre-trance basically.

b2xxtrance (nothing else you can do here)

b324, njp, st4xxtrance, chip summon

b2xxmb rune, forward dash, njp, 14 trance, chip summon
b32xxmb rune, forward dash, njp, 14 trance, chip summon

There's some basic stuff to start with. Someone else may be able to round out what I'm missing. One corner combo that's particularly nice that wastes time to allow another portal, does lots of damage and builds a bit of meter is:

f2212, st4, st4xxmb rune, jipxxair skull, 14xxtrance, chip summon, f2212, etc. The timing on the jipxx air skull is hit jip early as you can, cancel the air skull as quan's falling, as close to the ground as possible. If you can't get the air skull, just omit that and do jip, 14xxtrance.

AeWhole

Noob
After the pop up with B324, B1xxTrance, JIP, F2122 the 141 seems to be really hard to hit. Does it require a run cancel? It feels like they fall too fast as opposed to just F2122, 141.

Pig Of The Hut

After the pop up with B324, B1xxTrance, JIP, F2122 the 141 seems to be really hard to hit. Does it require a run cancel? It feels like they fall too fast as opposed to just F2122, 141.
Don't do b1 trance

Just do trance

AeWhole

Noob
Nah, the optimal there for Sorcerer is B324, 4xxTrance, Jip f2122, run xx 141
The run cancel is necessary and the run has to be very short but it isn't hard to do.
Okay, so the run cancel is necessary. I need to start practicing run cancels now haha. Thanks for the info.

It was just weird because you can just walk forward a bit for F2122, 141 but as soon as I tried doing the before trance then the after trance it became impossible. I guess it is scaling gravity.

Hi everyone, today a hit the lab with my favorite character in the game Sorcerer Quan Chi and find out that regardless he lost his +16 on block Ex Skull he can still do a very good damage midscreen using the Final Hex spell. This set up is 2 bars and the only way to escape is using block/combo breaker. 67% damage using safe ender F142 or 70% using unsafe ender 14 db1 or 4 db1. Keep in mind you can end this reset into another 50/50.

The second version of this set up does 5% more damage but is unsafe at the end

Last edited:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Hi everyone, today a hit the lab with my favorite character in the game Sorcerer Quan Chi and find out that regardless he lost his +16 on block Ex Skull he can still do a very good damage midscreen using the Final Hex spell. This set up is 2 bars and the only way to escape is using block/combo breaker. 67% damage using safe ender F142 or 70% using unsafe ender 14 db1 or 4 db1. More to come.

that is assuming they block incorrectly on the overhead