What's new

Guide - Sorcerer Full Sorcerer Guide by PND Ketchup

What are your suggestions for my combos then?
I don't know what his suggestions are, but I know that almost anytime you go for [njp, 4, 14xxTrance] you can instead do [4, njp, 14xxTrance] for more damage.

I am curious, though-- after trance, is there any reason you go for stand 3 instead of stand 4 to setup the Hex blockstring?

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I don't know what his suggestions are, but I know that almost anytime you go for [njp, 4, 14xxTrance] you can instead do [4, njp, 14xxTrance] for more damage.

I am curious, though-- after trance, is there any reason you go for stand 3 instead of stand 4 to setup the Hex blockstring?
Faster start up time so it's easier to land after hex, there's also no chance I'll accidentally get F4 by accident while trying to run cancel.

I use standing 4, because I want to use up as little gravity as possible mid combo. The more hits, they faster they fall. I'd rather lose 1/2% damage to make sure I land my f2,1,2,2 into 1,4,1 every time without fail. The armour is what you want, not damage.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
I havent forgotten about this. I am going to make a quick video with explanations in the next few days I just have a lot going on at work

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
For the life of me I've been spending all week trying to get that small hitbox blockstring going, and It just does not want to work. Makes me feel like a real winner seeing EX Roll come out time after time. Was a damn good video nonetheless

I havent forgotten about this. I am going to make a quick video with explanations in the next few days I just have a lot going on at work
Sweet, there is a small exhibition tournament at a local in two weeks so I want to absorb as much Quan Chi tech as possible!

Let me tell you about Quan.... for 23 minutes.

Scrub doesnt even know that Quans 141 isnt a hard knockdown, learn your character noob.
I'd love to see a Ketchup vs A F0xy Grampa match where both players are using characters the fans pick for them. Let's see who's the better player then!

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
So, i'm just gonna put this here.

Few things to remember:
Not my new tech video...be on the lookout for Part 3, I got juice :D
Yeah, there's some new stuff in this one too that you may not know
I didnt wanna make this super long so I didnt put too much in there, just some of my general thoughts
I've moved on to Ancestral Kung Jin and Dualist Liu Kang so don't flame me and leave me alone!

(I tried to make this one a nice presentation. Sorry if it sucks :p)

@AoK Ryan
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup
@Kwamensah (since you're on the hunt)

Last edited:

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

Few things to remember:
I didnt wanna make this super long so I didnt put too much in there, just some of my general thoughts
I've moved on to Ancestral Kung Jin and Dualist Liu Kang so don't flame me and leave me alone!

@AoK Ryan
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup
I agree that sorcerer quan isn't to be played heavily as a 50/50 character. The combos are great in the corner, you really get that air skull down. About time usage, are these combos using more time than the ones i posted using multiple standing 1 juggles?

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
I agree that sorcerer quan isn't to be played heavily as a 50/50 character. The combos are great in the corner, you really get that air skull down. About time usage, are these combos using more time than the ones i posted using multiple standing 1 juggles?
The main one I use (4, NJP,4, 14xxMB Rune jip1 14 trance) in this example are enough to do full loops, as you can see. I whittled them down based on ease of use, Total damage, and length of time

Edit: to clarify, in the loop im using look at when you do your trance and when mine occurs. I tend to think of trance to chip portal as a standing reset, so i want it to occur as late as possible to maximize not just damage but so that i have more time to change the portal thats down.

I've settled on that as my main combo over time to trance as late as possible so that not only can I switch portals but always still get at least 40%+ with the opportunity to kill, or at the minimum get an armor loop.

The idea of time being important became apparent to me when i would find myself in situations where armor ran out mid strings and i wasnt sure what my next move should be. Thats when i began optimizing with that in mind. with the type of output he has, making that choice is important depending on if your opponent is in the first 50% of his life or the last 50%.

Last edited:

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S

Few things to remember:

@AoK Ryan
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup

This makes me so happy. I've been eagerly awaiting your wisdom and I wasn't disappointed haha.

We have our second major for MKX in Australia in about a month. I was going to stick it out and train with Summoner but man, I'm really starting to second guess that decision... Great work!

(Also had a quick look at your Ancestral Kung Jin stuff, god damn...)

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
I dont have anything with ancestral. I accidentally saved that video file lol. I am just looking at meter drain as a use against characters like shinnok who are super meter reliant as my foray into the character. I find myself hardly using stun arrows and just doing fire or drains

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I dont have anything with ancestral. I accidentally saved that video file lol. I am just looking at meter drain as a use against characters like shinnok who are super meter reliant as my foray into the character. I find myself hardly using stun arrows and just doing fire or drains
Either way what you're doing with Sorcerer is still awesome work man. This variation is by far one of the most interesting in the game, and seeing your creativity with the character is very entertaining. Looking forward to whatever you decide to share with us next.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"

Few things to remember:

@AoK Ryan
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup
I'm not trying to cause drama or anything, but I seriously got an real sense of disrespect towards your remarks at the beginning of the video. You also remark about things that "everyone says" AKA me and say that they aren't practical. They have worked and continue to work on every top player I've ever used them against. It's not "unpractical" just because you don't do it this way.

You have some interesting tech here, things that I'll obviously look to add into my own game on top of my findings, but I disagree that my way isn't playing the character properly. It's worked for me so far so I'll continue to think that my Sorceror method is also effective.

I also use combos that exist to use up time so you can Hex the opponent mid combo after the armour rune disappears, but mine are more about shorter resets that force armoured 50/50's. Same result but two different methods.

I personally wouldn't state that Sorceror isn't a 50/50 character like Mayo mentioned, as quan really has no way to open you up outside of 50/50's that require bar to make safe. You will almost never hit an opponent with a raw f2,1,2,2 if they know how to fight quan, it's just too slow and can't wiff punish.

I rarely get defensive, but it's difficult not to be in this situation.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm not trying to cause drama or anything, but I seriously got an real sense of disrespect towards your remarks at the beginning of the video. You also remark about things that "everyone says" AKA me and say that they aren't practical. They have worked and continue to work on every top player I've ever used them against. It's not "unpractical" just because you don't do it this way.

You have some interesting tech here, things that I'll obviously look to add into my own game on top of my findings, but I disagree that my way isn't playing the character properly. It's worked for me so far so I'll continue to think that my Sorceror method is also effective.

I also use combos that exist to use up time so you can Hex the opponent mid combo after the armour rune disappears, but mine are more about shorter resets that force armoured 50/50's. Same result but two different methods.

I personally wouldn't state that Sorceror isn't a 50/50 character like Mayo mentioned, as quan really has no way to open you up outside of 50/50's that require bar to make safe. You will almost never hit an opponent with a raw f2,1,2,2 if they know how to fight quan, it's just too slow and can't wiff punish.

I rarely get defensive, but it's difficult not to be in this situation.
He is weak, like curry.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions

Few things to remember:

@AoK Ryan
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup

Theres a few bits n pieces in there that I like, such as using the skull for meter build.
However, some of those portal set ups, I'd murder you for.

Also, while I respect the obvious dig in the video, not at my PND bretheren.
Ketchup is the Quan father.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Whoa, whoa, whoa

@PND_Ketchup

There is no disrespect intended, so let me clarify a few things. First, you are a better player than me. You have much more character and matchup experience, play more competition and play on a global scale.

When i say impractical: Almost every quan player i've talked to that has ever played sorcerer (more than just you) has always told me pretty much the same things. MB trance is useless, save all 3 bars and rune trap in the corner, etc etc. you know how often that happens in the games i play with that exact situation in the exact perfect positioning? Sure its glorious when it happens, but it's not practical

Make no mistake: your way of playing is effective and has served you well, but i still disagree with the combos you do as well as your approaches in Midscreen and in the corner. It is just my opinion though. My standard corner combo (non air-skull one) nets me more damage and provides the exact same setups that you use, plus allow more flexibility in portal usage due to how long they last

However, some of those portal set ups, I'd murder you for.
As for you sir, I wouldn't dig into Ketchup, but you aint murdering shit lol. go back to spamming MB orbiting hat and let the men talk :p