What's new

Strategy frog hopping

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Oh, I agree with you, it's certainly an option. But I just wouldn't want to have to rely on it. There are plenty of other ways for you to get beat. Why not instead just walk or do standard dash blocking, which allows you to block instantly? Thats my line of thought.

Honestly, you're the best Ermac in the world, and as far as I know, you're not using this. That says to me that this is more of a gimmick than something that is going to evolve into the basis of Ermac play.
I am using it. I just dont OVERUSE it. There is a diference. I m not spamming it all the time. To use this move you need to be precise with your spacing, cause one whiff and qq except if you have breaker.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I've always liked Ermac's B2 and I believe it you mastered his cancelling on it and the timing for it... for example.. cancel it in to push... it's basically like Stryker's gun cancels.
Its nothing like Stryker's gun cancels. The threat of releasing 1 and firing the instantaneous projectile is enough to keep people hesitate for a second or two. If they hesitate you can cancel and pressure, if they retaliate you can fire away.

What can Ermac do? If they block, nothing happens cause you dash blocked backwards. Create distance at most. If they retaliate.... what, you can hold b2 for another 2 seconds and hope they get hit by it? Try to cancel into block which takes so long you'd probably give the enemy free pressure?

The big difference here is that Stryker's gun is instantaneous with a nice AA hitbox. That is enough to keep people in line. B2 is nowhere near instantaneous and you will get blown up if they are aggressive enough.

Also, Stryker's gun cancels are for pressure/setups reasons, this should only be used to get away quickly. And it doesnt even do that job very well, when dash blocking is somewhat of the same thing but so much safer.

Let me reiterate from my previous post. In 99% of situations, there are better alternative methods that achieve the same or better results than this garbage.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
This isnt new, if you all are wondering.

Ive seen this tech circulating for a few months now.

Kfrog is just popularizing it.
My biggest question is why didn't we see him do this at Toryuken if it's that great.

Personally, I cancel a B2 now and again, but I don't see myself doing this... isn't this what you would call a "gimmick"?

In the right hands though, this could be great... someone good enough with cancels and not using this carelessly.

zaf

professor
I feel like he could get caught in this and so fucked up. Perhaps this is just because I play sektor, Lao, and rain. How quick can you block?
You take forever to block after this. Almost to the point where Im too much of a pussy to even attempt using this.
You can cancel into normals and specials quite fast however.

That video is cute, but its nothing we didn't know already, and I don't see it being that useful. Why do that insane canceling backdash - where you can't block! - when you could walk backwards to cover more ground? The only time I use this technique is to do a single double backdash when trying to create some space in certain situations.

The second someone sees you doing that, they're just going to throw a projectile, or hit you with something really fast like a red kick or some shit.

I'll eat my words when I see someone b2'ing through an entire set and making it look broken. I don't see that happening, but when someone posts a video of it, I'll say "I was wrong!" and eat a bug.
Now like you said the second someone see's ya doing this, they are going to shoot something at you or hit you with something really fast. Isn't this kind of the entire point of this tech? Getting people to react and let go off block to blow them up with tks/tkp?
I mean I would love to be b2 canceling all over the place and get lifts like there's no tomorrow, but just like you said how people will try and hit me out of this green glowing dash, I feel even with the best reaction times that you will get hit out more often then not.
I do prefer to walk around instead of this, but i think the confusion it causes can be worth using it. But at the same time, i dont like the risk/reward on this. Like , you do not have to be risky and make a lot of tks reads with ermac to be good.

KRYS9984

Noob
I do prefer to walk around instead of this, but i think the confusion it causes can be worth using it. But at the same time, i dont like the risk/reward on this. Like , you do not have to be risky and make a lot of tks reads with ermac to be good.
zaf , Perhaps B2+cancel would work for your style of game play. While keeping a steady pace, wouldn't B2+cancel be effective since you are walking and not constantly dash blocking or blocking in general?

For example; your Ermac is keeping a consistent walking pace throughout the match (for spacing) and every now and then throws out a B2+cancel quickly opening or closing the gap between the 2 characters. Your opponent will have to react to this because all of a sudden you steady paced Ermac is quickly within jump distance or at 3/4 screen.

It wouldn't be as effective for a dash blocker but increasing speed / spacing on "walking Ermac" could be a mindf**k.

Just a though.

QjonPL

Low Tier Fanatic
b2 cancel dash doesn't cover more distance than normal dash; by using normal dash you can cancel it anytime into block. If you want to confuse opponent why not just randomly crouch (or crouchblock)->dash? It will force him to react because of uncommon animation and also you can cancel into block or special/normal anytime, lol.
Oh, I know, it won't have that badass light effect :(

Isn't this kind of the entire point of this tech? Getting people to react and let go off block to blow them up with tks/tkp?
If he had, let's say, armored TKP, he could've used b2 cancels to bait projectiles/specials and it would be 100% awesome.

But he doesn't.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If he had, let's say, armored TKP, he could've used b2 cancels to bait projectiles/specials and it would be 100% awesome.

But he doesn't.
At this point, I'd settle for a safe EXTP. A safe landing on block into hopping, or using the frog hop from a distance to bait a slow projectile like Cage's Forceball or Scorpion's Spear, so you could hit said EXTP, THAT would be quite a bit less dangerous.

Also, I hereby motion that anyone who develops a strategy around this refer to it as "playing Frogger."
As it is both named after a Frog, and if played the wrong way, will get you hit by large amounts of oncoming traffic.

We've known about this for a while and like I've said before, this is only useful if you can bait a jump out of it. Why? Because it pretty much leads to a TKS into the teleport shenanigans. And hell, if you are confident enough, you can even start that with an AA 1 into a nice 30%+ combo.

It's really nothing special because you can't block at all and if you overuse it, you're pretty much giving the game away.

This is really good if you expect them to try and poke you out of your b2 charge. The dash in very fast, and if they are poking with something slowish you will tks, or even d3 them out of it. So basically I only use this to punish whiffed moves. It's neat but not god like or anything. It's also decent for baiting upclose, and full screen(I use it to fake a projectile then cancel into teleport, you have to commit but if they go for a trade it' helps.)

Almost makes me want to pick up Ermac. Mind games with the Frog Hop. Doing shit like that stimulates the opponent's mind to brace for something to come up. It can work to your advantage in ways very similar to Stryker's Gun Cancels, but Frog Hops need to be incorporated a little differently.

I'm a guy that enjoys fighters with dash-cancel-able moves.