What's new

FR IGAU Staff Blow up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say my 2 cents and then slip back into obscurity. It sounds like fr was a bit of a shit show for igau. A lot of people want to bash on the bracket runners but as many people have said they are volunteers who want to play as well as help out. The simple solution is paid bracket runners. This solution was already mentioned. I'm a big advocate of this. I do not play any games on a competitive level and do not enter tournaments. Many people on here know I am a more then capable bracket runner. I can no longer offer my services for free because I have a 2 month old child and wife who makes very little money so most of my Saturdays are spent working overtime. I have told my brother 9.95 that if I'm wanted to help with brackets for igau or mk I have to be paid since I can't give up my ot money. The answer he has gotten back is NO not gonna happen when there are volunteers that can be used. The 2 majors and countless locals I have run have all aside from venue issues gone off without a hitch. If the players want someone who is only there to be a professional and just run the brackets (no mingling no playing casuals) then as a group you need to make this known. Not just after a tournament which had glitches but prior to them so that if there are problems with volunteers you can all say see this is why we need professionals.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm going to say my 2 cents and then slip back into obscurity. It sounds like fr was a bit of a shit show for igau. A lot of people want to bash on the bracket runners but as many people have said they are volunteers who want to play as well as help out. The simple solution is paid bracket runners. This solution was already mentioned. I'm a big advocate of this. I do not play any games on a competitive level and do not enter tournaments. Many people on here know I am a more then capable bracket runner. I can no longer offer my services for free because I have a 2 month old child and wife who makes very little money so most of my Saturdays are spent working overtime. I have told my brother 9.95 that if I'm wanted to help with brackets for igau or mk I have to be paid since I can't give up my ot money. The answer he has gotten back is NO not gonna happen when there are volunteers that can be used. The 2 majors and countless locals I have run have all aside from venue issues gone off without a hitch. If the players want someone who is only there to be a professional and just run the brackets (no mingling no playing casuals) then as a group you need to make this known. Not just after a tournament which had glitches but prior to them so that if there are problems with volunteers you can all say see this is why we need professionals.
Embrace it, guys. You've witnessed the passing of a forgotten god.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
My point is players SHOULD have an idea. I know players don't. In an ideal world, yes, every human being would have the stones to approach another human being and concisely express their feelings, but we don't live in that world. Sometimes the other party needs to extend the olive branch. That's just courtesy.

If you agree to a ft10,20,50,whatever, afterward you need to have the self-awareness to take a breath, look around, and say hey, I've had enough for now. You can always pay it forward.
SO if we should have the common courtesy to ask if someone else wants to play why cant the players watching find the ability to say oh hey can i play. Its a two way streak. All players involved should probably be involved. But AGAIN. If you are deep into the game you are tunnel Visioned to the game and have no idea whats happening around you. You do not look behind you to see if someone is there to even bother asking. Asking is the easiest way and waiting for someone to notice you and say Hey do you want to play is very slim. If everyone asked to join in on casuals instead of standing around expecting for someone to ask who wants next then more people would get to play. Or ask the other people watching who has next. If noone says anything then ask for next. That happened a lot where i would see like 4 people standing behind a station just to watch. Considering people seem to have success with asking for Casuals instead of expecting people to turn around and ask who wants to play next it seems that just asking is the simple way to do this. And if they say no then get a TO to get them off the Causal station so you can play. OR. Even suggest OH HEY. Could i get in after you guys do a first to 3 then keep score for them since sometimes people actually forget the scores mid game. If i stood around expecting someone to ask me if i wanted next i would have gotten ZERO casuals in and it would have been a waste of a trip for me.

Also one last thing. Someone said they would gladly throw 2 extra bucks in to help pay for a bracket runner. I can tell you right now at a 100 person tournament that 200 bucks won't cover it. That might cover a hotel. A bracket runner should get enough to cover a hotel and regular pay. I would need at least 400 bucks for a 2 day tournament

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'll let someone who were there elaborate, but the summary is this:

-PL is playing on a play n' charge kit, and he's in the middle of his first match against ForeverKing, and is up significantly in life and in the middle of a combo (about to win the round) when a controller desyncs.

-PL assumes the controller was FK's, and gets excited, drops his controller and starts looking around

-When staff looks into it, everyone else assumes it was PL's controller -- PL says it was a 3rd controller attached to the system that desync'ed
Waaaaiiiiittttt isn't this just PL's description of the events?

The screen showed that it was p1, which was PL.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Dont use introversion as an excuse for not speaking up. It will only hurt you in the long run.

Believe me I know.
Don't I know it! I just think some don't understand that it's a real factor in why some people don't talk when they want to play, and I don't think people should shit on each other when all of the variables aren't in place

trufenix

bye felicia
This'll be my last reply; You don't have to preach to me about "how it happens". I AM (or was) a tournament player. I was doing this back before "casual stations" existed, back when the casual station was the contra machine in the corner with the retarded jump button. Back when if you wanted a set with your friend, you had to beat the guy who was already there and hope your friend was next in line. And for the record I was never good. I was never somebody people wanted to play, or invited onto a station or even asked "hey is fenix here". I was just another player, burning the occasional weekend to go 2 and 2 at best and maybe make back bus fare on a side bet.

My point is, its been at least 4 years (god, that's sad to say) since I've even been to a local, and in that time it seems nothing has changed. People still think sitting down on a casual station for an hour (or longer) is okay simply because "nobody says anything" or worse because "i deserve to do my thing, i paid to get in here". I don't agree with it. This isn't your house. This isn't a salty suite. This is one of 5 (if you're lucky) places the 100+ people in this tight ass sweaty room can sit down and play while they're waiting for another match (or instead of going home mad early). I think if we're all getting together to invite people to play in a competitive environment and grow the scene we should have the clarity of mind to ACTUALLY DO THE INVITING and not merely say well this is ours and if they want in, they better man up or just watch.

I'm not saying change your life, or the way you do it. You don't have to. It sucks that tournaments are crowded busy affairs and nobody ever gets to do as much as they want to do, cause unless you're top 8 royalty nobody is going to bend over backwards to make sure you get time on the station with a friend or a rvial or someone you just met. But the "imma get mines, you gotta get yours" attitude isn't going to turn wall flowers into warriors. If you just say well noobs should speak up that's the law, nothing is going to change. It hasn't changed in 20 years, it isn't going to now that tourneys are bigger and more intimidating than ever. The senior people in this scene need to put in work too, and sometimes that means getting up off the stick and leaving an open station actually open.

Edit: ANd for the record, I mean you no disrespect. I salute you for repping Shazam, but we can all be better at this.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I would've been able to play casuals...

If @ISF_AWG_Indecisive stopped donating the only disc we had xD
I did it for the Community so they would have access to every costume. I don't mind letting KN Borrow my disk since @Shock has done so much for me. And lending my disk is nothing compared to how much he has done for me. Also Who really wants to get 3 stars in every mission to get the special Flash Costume. I also bring it if anyone else ends up needing it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I did it for the Community so they would have access to every costume. I don't mind letting KN Borrow my disk since @Shock has done so much for me. And lending my disk is nothing compared to how much he has done for me. Also Who really wants to get 3 stars in every mission to get the special Flash Costume. I also bring it if anyone else ends up needing it.
Yeah yeah I know, you overly helpful bastard. :p I'm playing around. I got plenty of casual matches in.

not "cheap" ones, unlss you wanna try and dress a tourney up like a wedding, this is about the best grass roots can do.
So than the o
Imagine pressing the change stance button and instead of changing stance it did 20 perfectly slow IAZB for u w one click or in mk 15 perfect 2 Ndc w kabal
No dude this is misinformation out of the ass.

He had no macros, a macro is a pre-programmed sequence of buttons.

What Full Schedule had was a Button Bind, all it did was input Up-Left and Up-Right, same as moving your stick, on either the upper left or right corner, there was no macros.

Well that's what I got from reading this, http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/hardware-button-bind-ruling-for-ufgt10/

and I played games with macros, and it wasn't a macro from what I understand.

And to all the people saying, say something to get off casuals, man, there are tons of different personalities in the world, tons of different type of people, not everyone speaks up, and especially at a GAMING fucking event, you know people are shy, and a FGC event at that where it's full of urban "culture" everyone loves, it's not something a new comer would easily be accustomed to.

Have some courtesy.

Last edited:

Zyos

Zyos aka Mr Mix ya Girl
My 2 cents is the same as @Kombat Nazi in my many MLG tournaments after i stopped playing i helped run call of duty and am very good at running things but i do believe a TO shouldnt play in the tournament id be more then willing to help run brackets and not play i go for the people anyways

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I just want to say I agree with the criticism in this thread.

I mostly want to speak about the pools and seeding situation. FR was unacceptable. If you have the opinion that players don't deserve to see who they're playing early or that skill/results based seeding shouldn't be a thing that is fine. We can have that debate in other contexts. What isn't debatable is that FR was supposed to have these things. FR was sold to us on the promise that late reg entrants fucking with the seeding wouldn't be an issue. FR was sold to us on pools being up early. This is something some players take seriously and it's a difference maker between spending money to enter or not. FR completely failed in this regard.

A few issues need to be cleared up.

Is it true that certain players were DQed from their pools for no showing and then moved to other pools?

Is it true that certain players missed the cut off time for registering and were still allowed to compete?

More openness on who did the seeding, who decided the pools should be combined, who decided how the pools connect.

I agree with Pig that we need more answers and accountability. Not to crucify the staff, just to find out what happened and what needs to happen next time. Pig went out of his way to hype up FR as having solutions to the shenanigans of WB only for FR to be even more messed up. That's a serious problem that can't be swept under the rug.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I just want to say I agree with the criticism in this thread.

I mostly want to speak about the pools and seeding situation. FR was unacceptable. If you have the opinion that players don't deserve to see who they're playing early or that skill/results based seeding shouldn't be a thing that is fine. We can have that debate in other contexts. What isn't debatable is that FR was supposed to have these things. FR was sold to us on the promise that late reg entrants fucking with the seeding wouldn't be an issue. FR was sold to us on pools being up early. This is something some players take seriously and it's a difference maker between spending money to enter or not. FR completely failed in this regard.

A few issues need to be cleared up.

Is it true that certain players were DQed from their pools for no showing and then moved to other pools?

Is it true that certain players missed the cut off time for registering and were still allowed to compete?

More openness on who did the seeding, who decided the pools should be combined, who decided how the pools connect.

I agree with Pig that we need more answers and accountability. Not to crucify the staff, just to find out what happened and what needs to happen next time. Pig went out of his way to hype up FR as having solutions to the shenanigans of WB only for FR to be even more messed up. That's a serious problem that can't be swept under the rug.
@ShinBlanka @Shock your move

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I did the seeding.

no idea about the second

The pools were connected (i think youre talking about like top 32 connection) in an odd way because FR tries their best to make sure no players aren't in like two games at the same time frame.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Man I can't wait for UFGT after reading about your first experience at a major

*checking to see if plane ticket is refundable*

SZSR

Noob
I did the seeding.

no idea about the second

The pools were connected (i think youre talking about like top 32 connection) in an odd way because FR tries their best to make sure no players aren't in like two games at the same time frame.
Who is bobsmack?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I did the seeding.

no idea about the second

Exactly which top players were playing multiple games that day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.