What's new

First Glimpse of MK1 wavedashing

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Multiple people who have had hands on the game have mentioned that block dashing doesn't seem to be in the game, but Ketchup and Mustard mentioned that dashes could be canceled with crouches. Justin Wong mentions this as well and even calls it a "Korean Backdash type movement", which is a Tekken term for how they cancel their backdashes with crouches. You can briefly see him do it below. He does 3 backdashes normally, then he does 2 of them cancelled

Here's Wong's full video if you wanna check it out in its entirety

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So, NRS clearly didn't like dash-blocking for whatever reason, and players found a workaround instantly. At this point, I don't know why bother with NOT allowing dash-blocking again? People are quite clearly still going to do it, it just requires an additional step - unless they ALSO make the crouch-dash not a thing anymore.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
This reminds me of wave dashing in MKX, I was almost able to do it really consistently, but then I stopped needing to it thinking about it and forgot.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Justin Wong joined Max in another talk about MK1 and when Wong brings up the "new" wave dashing mechanic, he said a dev saw him do it and said "We don't want players to have to do that, so thats why we made walk speeds faster". So it seems this another unintended mechanic.

I just hope they don't further nerf dashes to dissuade players from exploring this possibility more.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
dash,down is arkward as fuck.... it could be a choice to limit combo potential to all but the most execution skilled. The combo system looks like it allows a lot of crazy stuff... maybe making a proper dash cancel was jst opening up to make insane posibilities?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Justin Wong joined Max in another talk about MK1 and when Wong brings up the "new" wave dashing mechanic, he said a dev saw him do it and said "We don't want players to have to do that, so thats why we made walk speeds faster". So it seems this another unintended mechanic.

I just hope they don't further nerf dashes to dissuade players from exploring this possibility more.
I wonder if it would be that hard for them to just remove that and force the player to commit to dashing.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I’d love the run button again, UMK3 and MKX are probably my two favorite MKs to play and watch, but it’s too late to be asking for that lol. It would probably break the game as is.

But from everything I’ve heard on the early access videos, I think dash speed can be increased. And it probably will, judging by Maxs comments of devs saying they don’t want players to have to wavedash

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I'm not seeing the benefit of trying to wavedash, at least not in these clips so far. Doesn't seem like they're covering much ground does it?

Are there some clips of guys cancelling with normals? Still seems to me like they want dash cancels only to be involved in juggle combos or maybe extending a poke's range or something similar to MK9.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The walkspeed, from what I’ve seen and heard/read, is fast enough to where wavedashing and dashblocking won’t really be needed. I mean, I wish they would’ve done the overall good walking speed PLUS dashblocking, but fast walk speed is the best option of the 2, as long as it’s overall high, and then there’s differences between characters (which I don’t see why there wouldn’t be seeing as they’ve done this since the classic MK’s, well MK3 at least)

dash,down is arkward as fuck....
Unless you're playing on keyboard or hitbox...

I wonder if it would be that hard for them to just remove that and force the player to commit to dashing.
I guess there's no reason to remove it if normal dashing is a better option as no one will bother trying it. But if it serves a purpose other than being faster than dashing then maybe the devs might look to remove it assuming that it doesn't benefit the game the way they want.

From a spectator view anything like that irks me, just looks stupid.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The walkspeed, from what I’ve seen and heard/read, is fast enough to where wavedashing and dashblocking won’t really be needed. I mean, I wish they would’ve done the overall good walking speed PLUS dashblocking, but fast walk speed is the best option of the 2, as long as it’s overall high, and then there’s differences between characters (which I don’t see why there wouldn’t be seeing as they’ve done this since the classic MK’s, well MK3 at least)
My biggest issue with MK walking is that sluggish delay when you first start moving to gain momentum. Its realistic, yeah, but it feels terrible.

everything else about the game looks good but movement kinda looks like ass. even though sauce and degeneracy is back on the menu they still wanna hamper the game with some footsies aspect
this is my biggest worry too. The slow, awkward, stuck in the mud ground moment.

I agree with people above talking about the awkwardness (visually) of crouch dashing. But the more I think about it the more I like it. Instead of the dash block of mk9 (that I loved) or the blink and you miss it wave dashing of mk11, I like the thought that I can still check a player if I read they’re gonna do a crouch dash. Similar to sf6 drive rush. Since crouch dashing doesn’t end in a block, or at least as instant of a block as a dash block or wave dash into block/flawless block. At least thats my hope, I haven’t seen enough gameplay.

if crouch dashing is as difficult to execute as wave dashing, and still as essential to gameplay, then fuck that shit just return to the goddamn dash block. Fuck

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
My biggest issue with MK walking is that sluggish delay when you first start moving to gain momentum. Its realistic, yeah, but it feels terrible.
The dash blocking basically started with the 3d games (including sidesteps) but what's interesting is...

In MK Deception for example, there wasn't actually a forward dash. But when you initiated walking forward, you started off with this like lunging, quick first step. So we just used it like a dash and cancelled with normals and block like future games.

I haven't studied that part of these MK1 clips to see if it's like that, but your comment reminded me.

GXX XX BXXXK

Purrp 4 Sale
Gone be hard to juggle your opponent because the launching attacks sends them so far away, and the dashes are a little too slow and short in distance.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Gone be hard to juggle your opponent because the launching attacks sends them so far away, and the dashes are a little too slow and short in distance.
Kameos seem to remedy this somewhat, as you can call sonya to punch your opponent in the air and juggle him for a bit longer while you can move and cover enough distance to reach them again. But I'm betting the speed of dashes are going up, even if only by a little - they did the same for MK11.

GXX XX BXXXK

Purrp 4 Sale
Kameos seem to remedy this somewhat, as you can call sonya to punch your opponent in the air and juggle him for a bit longer while you can move and cover enough distance to reach them again. But I'm betting the speed of dashes are going up, even if only by a little - they did the same for MK11.
This was my biggest fear once Kameos were revealed to be in the game. I dont want to have to rely on Kameos to do combos, and Im sure others dont either. As much I like most of what I seeing in this new installment, the "its basically MK 11 PT II" narrative is kind of holding some truth (though it LOOKS nothing like MK 11, that observation amongst the doubters is still valid to an extent)

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
This was my biggest fear once Kameos were revealed to be in the game. I dont want to have to rely on Kameos to do combos, and Im sure others dont either. As much I like most of what I seeing in this new installment, the "its basically MK 11 PT II" narrative is kind of holding some truth (though it LOOKS nothing like MK 11, that observation amongst the doubters is still valid to an extent)
Well, the whole core concept of this game is built around kameos. There isn't even a mode where you cant use them, if the interviews so far are correct. So, one way or another, the cat is out of the bag. Personally I don't mind the whole gimmick of them, and we've already seen some pretty nice combos without kameos (mainly Liu Kang and Sub, from what I observed).

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
There is one thing that i really couldn't understand the reason behind it; what the ..ck is wrong with MK9's dash block? Give me a reason NRS, it was a great job that you done, you don't need to discover the secrets of the universe, is the reason players who is having a hard time while pressing ff or bb +block? There is no hope for them unfortunately, i don't think those type of players are capeable of doing crazy Kameo supported Air combos either. if this is the reason you are wasting your time with them. They gonna buy the game without a question, gonna play the story than 3 weeks later they will go back to Fortnite.. stop overthinking on them.

Last edited:

GXX XX BXXXK

Purrp 4 Sale
Well, the whole core concept of this game is built around kameos. There isn't even a mode where you cant use them, if the interviews so far are correct. So, one way or another, the cat is out of the bag. Personally I don't mind the whole gimmick of them, and we've already seen some pretty nice combos without kameos (mainly Liu Kang and Sub, from what I observed).
Youre clearly misunderstood. I said nothing about Kameos being in the game being a problem, but rather that it looks almost impossible to catch opponents in juggles. I didnt even mention Kameos in my initial post. Combos with and without Kamoes can AND should co-exist. Youre stating the obvious as a refute when I never argued against for whatever reason.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
There is one thing that i really couldn't understand the reason behind it; what the ..ck is wrong with MK9's dash block? Give me a reason NRS, it was a great job that you done, you don't need to discover the secrets of the universe, is the reason players who is having a hard time while pressing ff or bb +block? There is no hope for them unfortunately, i don't think those type of players are capeable of doing crazy Kameo supported Air combos either. if this is the reason you are wasting your time with them. They gonna buy the game without a question, gonna play the story than 3 weeks later they will go back to Fortnite.. stop overthinking on them.
the reason is Nrs thinks it looks stupid, during mkxs development they mentioned it to I believe RIP the Tekken player. That’s why they brought run back for X.