What's new

Final Round Conversation With BobSmack, Chief Technical Officer of Final Round LLC

I$AAC

Noob
Ok, I know I'm late to the party but I now have free time to tell you about my experience with FR17. Let me just preface this that I like Larry and I'm appreciative of all the volunteers that help out with the tourney, but I must call a spade a spade here.

1) Combining pools: Now this may not be a big deal to everyone, but it was to me. I don't care if in the past pools were not posted yadda yadda, but they were. The responses for combing pools and seeding I didn't like either. "Well be lucky we actually post the pools" is like me ordering a pizza, getting a grilled cheese sandwich instead then the restaurant saying "Hey man, be lucky you're actually getting food" WTF really? ALso, I'm just getting back into the scene after a9 month hiatus and I'm not at the level that I should be yet, so my goal at FR was to simply make top 32 and go from there. So know who was in my pool was just as big of a part of my preparation as going to training mode etc. The whole "You don't play the other pool till you get fursther in the brackets" is a croc of shit. I played 4 players and only one player (7L) was in my original pool. Again it may not be a big deal to most people, but combining the pools took a big chunk of my preparation and threw it out the window.

2) Late start times: Now maybe because I live in Florida I'm spoiled by the fact that Tong Lee and Alex Jebailey run everything on time, but this was also another black eye to the tournament. I understand things come up and unfortunately you won't be able to start on the dot, but my pool(s) was scheduled to start at 4pm. I didn't get to my first match till AFTER 830 pm. This is unacceptable. It's one thing to have something come up and be 30 minutes to even an hour late, but to be late 4 hours and 30 minutes!? Thats clearly unacceptable. I'm not going to mention the lack of stream time that our pool got cause I heard the stream went down for 40 minutes so I'll leave that alone (which is a shame, cause Me vs 7L was hype as fuck)

Well those are my thoughts. I let this go back at FR14 (9am pool didn't start till 4pm, ST top 8 being changed from Sunday 11am to 9am ON Saturday morning) but 3 years later we still have the same issues? I'm sorry that just unacceptable.

haketh

Noob
Final Round is the new Devastation? Just without the Madden setups?

#grassroots
Not even fucking close.

I swear you MLG kids really trying hard to fuck guys that have been doing this for so fucking long, put the community on their backs at multiple times, stay supporting the community despite getting treated like shit, all over one screw up, admittedly a big one but just one real one in a history of trying to do whats best for the community. Plz let MLG take over so y'all can know whats it's like to get screwed completely out of nowhere and this idea that MLG is the fucking promised land of Roses and Happiness can die.

I think it's time to be over and done with.

Ya guys gotta stop somewhere, you have all your answers, everything is public. There is no need to keep blowing people up here.
Let people decide with all information that has been put on the table to have their own opinion. You guys are starting to beat a dead horse now.

All its doing is giving everyone a headache(including myself, and I wasn't even at FR), even if they say they like the drama or the blow ups.
Its just not good for our community. Shit happens, in the end though shit got done and the tournament had great results.
oh god, that is THE WORST THING you could have said!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you say that? People didn't show up for free, or $5 for some local tournament, or even a big tournament's first time doing it where people expect shit to go wrong. How much money did people spend, hmm? That is not anywhere near good enough. Oh, the tournament did in fact happen and we had a winner. All's well that ends well. GTFO

Outside of the players in top 8, who else that attended would say, oh boy the tournament had great results? We're talking about 100+ people who spent a large amount of cash for something they would have enjoyed more watching the stream AT HOME FOR FREE. Player fees have reached the level where you expect far more then, did the tournament come to a conclusion. This is not Final Round's first rodeo. This is not KN's first rodeo. We get it, volunteering for this stuff sucks and has no reward. BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS GOING IN. How can people expect others to just give them a free pass after spending hundreds of dollars?

How many years is the FGC gonna do the same song and dance? Pay us large fees and pray the volunteers we have lined up get the job done and we give you a proper room with proper setups and internet access. Keep in mind that while it is guaranteed we get to keep your money, there is no guarantee you will get all of these things YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Not every tourney is gonna have a Vandy, or Jebailey, or Keits, or Valle. And even they are at the mercy of their "volunteers" not screwing up when they are off taking care of things.

If TO's dont want to pay for people and streams, is it really worth everyone's time anymore? It's such a huge financial risk for most people. A lot of you also fail to realize that new players basically give the scene one shot to prove themselves, after saving up money to go to this Final Round, would you ever want to go to a tourney again?

Not even fucking close.

I swear you MLG kids really trying hard to fuck guys that have been doing this for so fucking long, put the community on their backs at multiple times, stay supporting the community despite getting treated like shit, all over one screw up, admittedly a big one but just one real one in a history of trying to do whats best for the community. Plz let MLG take over so y'all can know whats it's like to get screwed completely out of nowhere and this idea that MLG is the fucking promised land of Roses and Happiness can die.
Sometimes change is needed. The community has not grown nearly as fast as it should. Everyone can see that. Running the show the same way for 20 years is not a good thing.

Also, I have been reading about this kind of stuff for, oh i don't know, 4 years? how many (just one screw up) does it take to reach something we should actually complain about?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
oh god, that is THE WORST THING you could have said!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you say that? People didn't show up for free, or $5 for some local tournament, or even a big tournament's first time doing it where people expect shit to go wrong. How much money did people spend, hmm? That is not anywhere near good enough. Oh, the tournament did in fact happen and we had a winner. All's well that ends well. GTFO

Outside of the players in top 8, who else that attended would say, oh boy the tournament had great results? We're talking about 100+ people who spent a large amount of cash for something they would have enjoyed more watching the stream AT HOME FOR FREE. Player fees have reached the level where you expect far more then, did the tournament come to a conclusion. This is not Final Round's first rodeo. This is not KN's first rodeo. We get it, volunteering for this stuff sucks and has no reward. BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS GOING IN. How can people expect others to just give them a free pass after spending hundreds of dollars?

How many years is the FGC gonna do the same song and dance? Pay us large fees and pray the volunteers we have lined up get the job done and we give you a proper room with proper setups and internet access. Keep in mind that while it is guaranteed we get to keep your money, there is no guarantee you will get all of these things YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Not every tourney is gonna have a Vandy, or Jebailey, or Keits, or Valle. And even they are at the mercy of their "volunteers" not screwing up when they are off taking care of things.

If TO's dont want to pay for people and streams, is it really worth everyone's time anymore? It's such a huge financial risk for most people. A lot of you also fail to realize that new players basically give the scene one shot to prove themselves, after saving up money to go to this Final Round, would you ever want to go to a tourney again?
Insert slowclap.jpg

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Not even fucking close.

I was just making a simple joke...stuff happens at tournaments, and I get it. After helping organize quite a few, I feel their pain. I'm sorry you took the joke to heart.

P.S. I'm not about that MLG life. I'm all grass roots.