What's new

Final Round Conversation With BobSmack, Chief Technical Officer of Final Round LLC

How It Should Be: A perk of Pre-Registration be that you're guranteed a spot in the bracket. Coming in at the door has limited spots. Thus incentive. Those who can't fit into the bracket took that risk and they KNOWINGLY went into this agreement. Doesn't mean you have to leave, you can stay, enjoy the hype, play casuals and all that. However you go willing to take the risk. Then lets say not enough people are there to make the brackets even, insert those few people evenly around the pools. I mean if College Basketball can toss in 4 extra teams into a 64 man bracket to make it 68. I'm sure we can do it with individuals. As far as brackets being uneven and having to play more rounds. Once again that should be a slight/penalty for not pre-registering.
Don't think limiting spots at the door will work. That is asking TO's to turn away money.

Don't think limiting spots at the door will work. That is asking TO's to turn away money.
Well with majors mvc3 holds so many people. Don't see how we can't do the same for less. In this scenario. But that format was in context of him saying it is "time and equal brackets" being prioritized. If money is prioritized youd just run it like any other major that's gotten it right or half right.

flipkev

Tank Top Guy
The "death" pool did happen at Final Round, it was under the guise of pool 7 and 8 being combined.

:DOGE
Thank god I barely missed being placed in that pool :) Don't mean to derail but PM me man I'm not able to visit your profile page. This is in regards to what we talked about on the trip back.

I dont like the idea of only allowing pre registration because thats not fair to people who find out about the tourney after pre reg is closed or couldnt prereg. The real problem with Pre reg is there isnt a guarntee of refund if you cant go because shit happened and shit happens alot. GGA Han is out $40 because he got bodied by the real life mu after he pre registered

REO

Undead
Good to see you back. You need to be more active both on the tourney scenes and the forums.
TBH, the reason I haven't been active is because I don't have anything good to post and be active on. I'm getting my laptop of seven years replaced soon courtesy of 995. It should be next week or the week after that. My laptop has run it's course, I have to literally wait around 15 minutes per page click when browsing TYM. Right now I'm doing the "option select" where I have two pages already loaded, and I use the back and forward options on the browser to see if the threads got any replies. Anything more than that is just not worth it.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
The tourney in general was okay. The biggest issue for me was how late everything ended up being on Saturday. However, getting to meet all the celebrities of the community like Pig, REO, and Sonic Fox made up for it. I would go again, but considering I'll probably only get one or two out of state tournaments a year, it probably won't be anytime soon.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks Kyah, I appreciate you confirming everything I said. The only thing we don't know is who authorized the moves in MK9, as the moves were brought to my attention after they were done, and not like "Hey Shock, so and so was DQ'd because they were late, can we move them to a later pool?" I'm under the impression these players were unfairly DQ'd, meaning they were called once and knocked out. This isn't how the DQ system works.

If FR was willing to go through with the death pool, I would have had no objection to it, but as you can all see, we were never told this was a go. The punishment for players who register at the door is having to pay more money. This is very common for events, as some increase by $10 in increments every few weeks leading to the event, with around a $50 at the door fee. That is your punishment. If you cap a tournament, show up and register and your game is full, that is another punishment, you can't play. If there's no advertised cap, and there is an at the door registration, you can't punish players by ignoring past performance for registering at the door. If you advertise this as such, then you will turn away players. Sometimes people don't prereg for reasons other than laziness. Sometimes they don't know if they can go for sure until shortly before the event so I don't think there's a true way to gauge this.

The only other way to do this is for every major to have seeding points at smaller/other events across the year and only have those players get seeding placement. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I really can't think of any time where a handful of players came up with such an arbitrary rule and tried to force it upon a tournament they were merely attending. Seems like a huge conflict of interest to me. I hate to drop the logic bomb here, but it really seems like the only thing a death pool does is create an easier path to the top for players who might otherwise not make it there.

Again, I apologize for the lateness of the brackets. The absolute main reason for this was the system hotfix bug. This is limited us to something like 3 working stations upon go time. In addition to that, the merging of the pools slowed down progress a bit because they had to be reorganized. Had they been merely slammed together side by side, it would have been an even bigger shit show. As Kyah stated, he was fine with us shuffling players as long as they stayed in their time frames. There were still some casualties due to the shuffle, and again I apologize, particularly to PPJ and would like to work something out with him for a future event, as he won NEC and I feel did not get a fair shake.

The only other factor for slow pools was the over emphasis on the stream matches. Granted, I supplied the stream setup, but I was at the stream at most 10 minutes of any hour because I was dealing with many other issues across the night. I didn't know there were problems unless I asked, and over the course of the night, 3 different times I demanded that the losers brackets be moved along and let the bracket runners send the matches to the stream, run commercials, ads, talk about sponsors, etc during down time.

The tournament finished through to the top 8 at 11:56 PM. Considering the delays in the tournament and the size of the bracket, that's not bad.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm still disappointed about FR but I like that we're getting these answers. It helps.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Some of the diologue here is good.

But please people that attended, don't downplay the lack of leadership and organization that was FR17 because it had some hype match's or you met people that you've seen on-line and played a game with them, or went to their room for whatever. It had some of the best match's to date in many respects. But if you can't be real about it you're delusional.

Shoutouts to the people I had real talk with that are now silent.

But please people that attended, don't downplay the lack of leadership and organization that was FR17 because it had some hype match's or you met people that you've seen on-line and played a game with them, or went to their room for whatever. It had some of the best match's to date in many respects. But if you can't be real about it you're delusional.

Does this mean the status quo is back in effect? So soon?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

I am glad you're speaking up. Because according to some on the FR staff this is just Pig and I wanting to blow things up.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I am glad you're speaking up. Because according to some on the FR staff this is just Pig and I wanting to blow things up.
Apparently I'm the only one that is willing outside of you two. Pig was right when he called out the floor and said that no one else would say anything.

I tried the real talk thing three times. @AK Pig Of The Hut can tell you about the progress we've made
Yeah I've found that to be a rare thing in these parts. It's truly sad.

Last edited:

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I've been silent on this since FR but I feel like I have to throw my thoughts in too before this gets buried.

This was the worst tournament I've ever attended. I'm sorry to anyone that offends, it's just a plain fact. In my personal opinion, I have never been more disappointed in an experience.

I am not throwing this on the AK guys. I love them, and it is unfortunate that it was in their backyard.

First and foremost, I felt like I was "lost" the entire time I was there.

Immediately upon arrival I hear rumors of players missing registration or even their pools, and getting allowed to play anyways. That never sets a good stage.

Then IGAU pools get changed around. Look. It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with pools being released early. The FACT is that they were. And once they were, someone, somewhere needed to abide by that, or if there was a change, they needed to step up, be the man, and explain to everyone what was going on while it was happening. I do not understand how that didn't get cleared up until now. No one at the venue would talk to me about it, or why changes were made.

Seeding. This has been beaten to death. It was bad. I'm not going over it again.

How the tournament ran. I don't know if people are lying, or just oblivious as to what happened. There were HUGE chunks of time where multiple tournament setups were being used for casuals. Every non streamed match I played I had to either ask someone playing casuals to let me use the setup, or the setup next to me was being used for casuals. Call me a dick, but I flat out do not believe that the reason for this was because everyone demanded to be in stream. This was a huge factor in the pools running late.

To finish up my rant that no one cares about, if I brought a team from my job out to a work site and acted this way, I'd be fired. No questions asked. My customers would have paid me for a product I would have changed on site, without telling them why (but keeping their money) and then ran way over my time, inconveniencing them further.

Note. I do not blame the volunteers. I felt this was a lack of leadership, order, and instruction. No one, volunteers included, had any clue what was going on, and no one was telling anyone anything.

Please Note: I am not a top player nor do I pretend to be. I had no aspirations of top 8. My complaints are coming from a customer standpoint. As a paying customer, I will not be "doing business" with Final Round or Kombat Network again. The 4 days I took off work, and travel expenses were an utter waste of time. I'm sure by expressing my opinions here I am now blacklisted, and will be looked down on forever by certain members of this community. I would just caution anyone involved that even if you hate me, take my criticism to heart. I was a paying customer, and now I'm not. And I'm not the only one.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I just noticed, do you have a damn DISPATCH quote in your signature? I knew I liked you.

Also, thanks to anyone and everyone speaking up about this, as a future traveler, I'm glad people are letting us make an informed decision about some of these tournaments.

Vandy

Kumite!
Hey guys, I realize there were some valid logistical complaints about the tournament that need to be improved for next time, but why discount the positives? I had a great time seeing old and new face and watching a ton of great matches.

Final Round is one of the most important tournaments of every year and I hope everyone considers coming back after hearing of some improvements. Shock's biggest mistake was trying to do too much by himself - run a stream, run the tournament, deal with the hotfix issues, and officiate. He needs more help.

I will personally take charge of Injustice next year at Final Round.