What's new

Discussion Final MKXL Tier List (post yours!)

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
A patch came out after Evo 2016, so that example is dated in more ways than one.

I can see why D'Vorah may be underused despite being strong - she has an ugly character design and has never really garnered any fan following. You can't compare that to Ermac. Ermac could be popular enough to be top 5 fan favorite. (Edit: I just realized Ermac is in my profile pic :D)

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I just find it extremely hard to believe that Mystic and Spectral are S tier in the current patch and yet not one top level player uses either of them.
Ok first off, D'Vorah is arguably the best newcomer from MKX in terms of both gameplay and design, I for one really like D'Vorah, her personality just fits perfectly with the scheme-ish bitch bug lady character and her design with cape and hood is just as awesome, and I know I'm not the only one who likes her. The reason that almost nobody picks D'Vorah is that she is a very execution heavy character that requires precision with her long combos, and that format is going on across all of her 3 Variations (except maybe Venomous). It has absolutely nothing to do with her design. On top of that, not everyone is gonna pick a character based on the looks or character legacy alone (like that Ermac is a classic legacy character since UMK3), some pick their character just based on the gameplay or just ease of use, and some pick their character based on combination of these criterias, like me, as I pick Reptile based on all of those criterias, plus more.

Also as for Ermac, @Nausea (the player that commented above me) has picked Spectral Ermac in the ESL Community Cup and made it to top 4 several times with him, and that was after the final patch.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Also as for Ermac, @Nausea (the player that commented above me) has picked Spectral Ermac in the ESL Community Cup and made it to top 4 several times with him, and that was after the final patch.
Ayyyyy, ty kind soul!

And its also helped me learn a few things:-

> Online will always be online.
> Never play a losing MU and try to outplay a good player just because you love your character. It's a recipe for disaster.
>Nerves are a real thing.

Roy Arkon

Ayyyyy, ty kind soul!

And its also helped me learn a few things:-

> Online will always be online.
> Never play a losing MU and try to outplay a good player just because you love your character. It's a recipe for disaster.
>Nerves are a real thing.
Yes online will always have at least a few frames of lag, even if the netcode is good, also the connection between the players must be good enough. And yes Nerves can be your worst enemy, you need to know how to control them.

As for the MU thing, that's an opinion based, I used Noxious Reptile 99% of the time and yes, I had some really tough matches, but I also beat some really good players using characters with a winning MU on Reptile. Just saying.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
How many times do you fools gotta be told?

Tier lists consist of MU charts NOT who the fuck plays them and where they place. Spectral and Mystic don't have a lot of losing MU's hence the high tier. If I was a bit more confident in myself, I could have took Ermac to the top in EU. (Spectral and Mystic cover about 95% and the other 5% MoS can have.)

I've also went toe to toe with many a top player with Spectral and his tools make him hard to deal with when played correctly.

For anyone who is still giving it "oMg mOm sPeCtRal iSnt ToP tIeR cOs IvE nEvEr sEen hIm uSeD iN A tOuNeYmEnT"

Please, stop.

Have a lovely day, and roll on I2 :)
OK lets do a little MU count with Spectral if you don't mind. Since you play Ermac you ought to know. Educate me.

Can Spectral hold 5-5 or better against the following ? :

Ethereal, Ravenous
Imposter, Boneshaper
Sektor, Smoke
Royal Storm, Assassin, Mournful,
Possessed
Hollywood
Sorcerer
Full Auto
Grandmaster

Nausea

Soul Ascended
OK lets do a little MU count with Spectral if you don't mind. Since you play Ermac you ought to know. Educate me.

Can Spectral hold 5-5 or better against the following ?
Ethereal - 5-5 (Would pick Mystic over this to make it 6-4. Piercing is a losing MU).
Ravenous - 5-5 (Again, Mystic for a 6-4)
Imposter - 4-6 (Hard MU for Spectral, would be better picking Mystic or even MoS for Imposter)
Boneshaper - 5-5 (Lack of Tricky Portal evens this out but be careful for Hellsparks)
Sektor - 6-4 (Contends well in neutral and deals with full screen effectively).
Smoke - 6-4 (Nothing scary to worry about minus the vortex).
Royal Storm - 4-6 (probably even 3-7. Mystic turns this in his favour to 6-4)
Assassin - 4-6 (probably 3-7 just the same as RS)
Mournful - 5-5 (or even 6-4 due to air glaives being reactable)
Possessed - 6-4 (Deals with tele really well. Mystic is a comfortable pick also).
Hollywood - 6-4 (Maybe 5-5. Played alotta Hollywoods and normally come out on top).
Sorcerer - 7-3 (Maybe even 8-2 because Spectral at full screen nullifies Quan altogether more or less)
Full Auto - 4-6 (5-5 maybe. Had some success against FA with Spectral but its probably a losing MU).
Grandmaster - 6-4 (Flight can take the piss out of GM. Corner game nothing to worry about for Spectral).

So basically out of your list, the only 2 I would really worry about playing with Spectral would be Imposter & Kitana. Jaq maybe depending on the player.

Last edited:

callMEcrazy

Ethereal - 5-5 (Would pick Mystic over this to make it 6-4. Piercing is a losing MU).
Ravenous - 5-5 (Again, Mystic for a 6-4)
Imposter - 4-6 (Hard MU for Spectral, would be better picking Mystic or even MoS for Imposter)
Boneshaper - 5-5 (Lack of Tricky Portal evens this out but be careful for Hellsparks)
Sektor - 6-4 (Contends well in neutral and deals with full screen effectively).
Smoke - 6-4 (Nothing scary to worry about minus the vortex).
Royal Storm - 4-6 (probably even 3-7. Mystic turns this in his favour to 6-4)
Assassin - 4-6 (probably 3-7 just the same as RS)
Mournful - 5-5 (or even 6-4 due to air glaives being reactable)
Possessed - 6-4 (Deals with tele really well. Mystic is a comfortable pick also).
Hollywood - 6-4 (Maybe 5-5. Played alotta Hollywoods and normally come out on top).
Sorcerer - 7-3 (Maybe even 8-2 because Spectral at full screen nullifies Quan altogether more or less)
Full Auto - 4-6 (5-5 maybe. Had some success against FA with Spectral but its probably a losing MU).
Grandmaster - 6-4 (Flight can take the piss out of GM. Corner game nothing to worry about for Spectral).

So basically out of your list, the only 2 I would really worry about playing with Spectral would be Imposter & Kitana. Jaq maybe depending on the player.
I expected a lot more red numbers to be honest (at least with Spectral). 6-4 against Sektor and Hollywood ? 7-3 against Sorcerer :eek: I wonder how.

I drop my case.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I expected a lot more red numbers to be honest (at least with Spectral). 6-4 against Sektor and Hollywood ? 7-3 against Sorcerer :eek: I wonder how.

I drop my case.
Sorcerer at full screen can't touch Spectral. Warlock is even worse lol. At least with Sorcerer you can sit in a portal lol.

callMEcrazy

Sorcerer at full screen can't touch Spectral. Warlock is even worse lol. At least with Sorcerer you can sit in a portal lol.
I don't get it. How's Spectral gonna avoid all those ruins and fireballs at full screen? And what exactly does he have to neutralize that portal up close. Can he break armor?

6-4 against Sektor and Hollywood is a BIG deal too. Those are some nasty variations. I main Sektor myself.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I don't get it. How's Spectral gonna avoid all those ruins and fireballs at full screen? And what exactly does he have to neutralize that portal up close. Can he break armor?

6-4 against Sektor and Hollywood is a BIG deal too. Those are some nasty variations. I main Sektor myself.
Honestly, go into training and go full screen with Spectral. Hover to the top left/right of the screen and try and hit him with Skulls or Runes. Doesn't work. Sky Drop fails also. As for up close, Soul Ascension strings to break armor. Either that or B124 to move them out the portal and be safe. Nothing concrete as far as breaking armor.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy

You are asking many questions for a person who acts like he knows so much about this character and his MU's, lol.

callMEcrazy

You are asking many questions for a person who acts like he knows so much about this character and his MU's, lol.
Actually no I don't know Spectral very well at all. I've never faced it myself and very rarely seen it in tournaments.

However, I'm very surprised looking at those match-up numbers Nausea posted. The variations in that list are very commonly seen in tournaments and I usually take it for granted that they roughly make up the top tier. That train of thought has suddenly been derailed a bit. Hence the questions.

dubson

Noob
lmao, this thread is getting krazy.

@Nausea I acknowledge you're a good player based on your results (I've never played you or seen you play), but what dictates match-ups? Joe Schmoe's opinion based match-up chart (regardless of how good that player is) or results? Well, that's like what came first: The Chicken or The Egg.

You have to assume optimization. So yes, there is some validity to @kabelfritz point in that you need top player/scientists of each specific variation coming together to make match-up charts. While you may or may not be a top Spectral Emac player, your match-up charts are only your opinion. Discussed with no other top player/scientists of any variation. You just fired it off based on your own opinion/experience.

Honestly, you would need basically computers to play every match-up for every variation vs. every variation in the game in something like a FT10 to optimally assume optimization (lol, that just sounded funny). Which obviously is impossible. So what is there to go off of? Top players. Scientists can discuss all they want, but if they can't make their theories work it's pretty much useless. They have to give those theories to top players who can apply them.

Regardless of @callMEcrazy lack of Spectral Ermac knowledge, there is some validity in his point that results are a piece of the pie as well as some evidence in what dictates tiers. Has Pretty Lady Leatherface ever won a tournament? No. If a character supposedly has more losing match-ups than winning match-ups, and that same character takes 7 of the top 8 spots in a Top 8 in a major tournament like Evo, well it's probably impossible that character isn't Top Tier based on those heavily weighted results. It's basically impossible for all 7 of them to have gotten that lucky all the way to Top 8 to where they didn't have one poor match-up that entire way in a tournament of that caliber. Nor is it really plausible that they all 7 played weak competition the closer it got to Top 8. That's where results matter, as we are human beings playing the game not robots. That's called statistics.

It's harder to imagine something like that with MKX... because most of the time it's the same top players with the same variation or two at most tournaments. It's more plausible in a game like Street Fighter where the player base is much, much bigger. Results and match-up charts are related. Evo 2004 in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Sentinel was in 7 out of 8 teams in the top 8. I can't even tell you the results of the Top 32 because I don't know that it's on the net. Point being, you don't need a match-up chart there to see he is top tier.

On that point, as @Youphemism said, popularity in itself is not a piece of the pie (even though as a mod he didn't have to be unprofessional about his opinion). Take a character like Possessed Kenshi. @Tweedy is really the only dude to place/win big tournaments with him. Does that make him top tier in itself, no. Tweedy is obviously a very good player. Point being, at some point you do have to factor in whether it is the character or the player, as well as the competition.

As you can see, it turns into a very complex task/theory to generate a tier list and that is why they are ever changing, really. Based on how long people are still playing the game and who it is still playing. There are many variables that are taken into account, but you cannot say it's simply one piece of an entire pie. You need both a combination of results and match-up charts, but again who are making these match-up charts? It's too hard to make the charts, especially with a small player base like MK. It rarely happens, and sadly, most of the top players in MKX do not post on this site or discuss (for whatever reason, it is beyond me and it's sad really), compared to say Street Fighter V. The Street Fighter players are much better about all of it. That's not to say that your match-up opinions are worthless because it's only your opinion. You're widely acknowledged as a very good Spectral Emac player. I'm just commenting on the entire picture.

It's also damn near impossible when your game has technically over 100 characters (variations), compared to a game with a smaller cast (Street Fighter V). It's both harder to balance and predict. Rarely does a player in MKX use only one variation the entire way through a tournament and win first place. In a game this big, you really need an arsenal. Thankfully it looks balanced enough at this point to be that way, at least.

Last edited:

dubson

Noob
Long post is long post, but that's how complex a true tier list really is (if that term really exists).

Now that that is out of the way,

@Dankster Morgan I am curious as to why you have Dragon's Fire Liu Kang in the highest possible tier, amongst the variations he is with and above Flame Fist Liu Kang.

After every week of Konquest, Kombat Cup, and major tournaments so far this season, I think it's pretty clear Flame Fist both does well and shows up often. I don't play Liu Kang currently, so I can't really argue either way and justify it, nor do I know enough about Dragon's Fire but imo Flame Fist on paper is extremely strong. What (in your opinion) puts Dragon's Fire over Flame Fist? Not that either have to be or are necessarily in the highest tier. Please include match-up reasons and character design reasons when comparing the two.

I think Displacer Raiden may be in the highest possible tier. How many losing match-ups can he have and what does that character not have besides a parry, a command grab and a 7 frame-ish meter less reversal (that not many variations have in general)? If execution is a reason against him, I'd say that goes against Mystic Ermac too. Have to assume optimization and be fair across the board.

I think Ronin is probably bunched with the other two variations of Takeda.

Just one man's 2 cents.

Last edited:

callMEcrazy

If you dont know anything about spectral then how can you say hes in the bottom half of the cast?
As I've said already, Spectral barely being used in tournaments seems to indicate he is weak. Plus just looking at his move set and game play gives me that impression as well.

It's roughly the same reason I think Dualist Kang is a weak character. I don't actually play it and so don't know it in great detail. It simply has the signs.

I respect what Nausea said and the numbers. But tier lists are mostly theoretical. What we see in tournaments is how things actually play out at the sharp end. And while they are still inconclusive, they are the best sources to draw conclusions from IMO.

Last edited:

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I aint one for long winded forum discussions @dubson but everything is relative. I've been playing Spectral almost exclusively from day 1 and played offline with some of the worlds best and went toe to toe.

He is a strong character who doesn't really struggle against 80% of the cast. I just agree that in theoretical tier lists, he belongs among the top. Those who have played an optimized and space control orientated Spectral know why he is such a strong variation. Don't ever let his popularity dictate his stature.

On now to Injustice 2.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Honestly, go into training and go full screen with Spectral. Hover to the top left/right of the screen and try and hit him with Skulls or Runes. Doesn't work. Sky Drop fails also. As for up close, Soul Ascension strings to break armor. Either that or B124 to move them out the portal and be safe. Nothing concrete as far as breaking armor.
Sorcerer has to make a read and air skull when he thinks your gonna slam. Sorcerer has options but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a hard 6-4, with Summoner making it a bit easier but still not quite a 5-5.

I wish I could just move on to Injustice but us poor Englishmen have to wait till Friday...

Evil Presence

Representing STB
Ravenous is better than Piercing man.
Also Spectral is on the same, if not better level than Mystic.
I think Hunter, Lasher, and Brood Mother are slept on too and could possibly go one tier higher.

Also I've always wondered; Who is the worst character (all variations included) in this game?
And is there such thing as a 10-0 match up across any variations?
Mmm I'd have to disagree. Mystic outshines Spectral in many ways. All variations of Ermac are good tho. Spectral has good air mobility and fast ground pounds that 7-3 some characters. Mystic is a different beast. If Spectral didn't have gaps then it may be a different story.

Evil Presence

Representing STB
Well look at it as in who loses to who

Mileena loses to shinnok right?
Triborg loses to mileena right?

Necromancer gets pooped on by a few variations

Who tf does Ermac lose to lol (seriously asking)
As an Ermac main I dislike playing Cry Tremor. His armor up is hard for Ermac to handle. Sorcerer and Ruthless can be hard to deal with if Ermac is cornered

Evil Presence

Representing STB
LOL what?? Ermac is S tier and not one top player is gonna use him to try and win all the cash that's on the line in tournaments?

It's common sense. If a character/variation is that good and has so many good match-ups that it is S tier, it WILL be abused by professionals to win tournaments. Heck people even abused Alien, which is not even an original MK character and has very little loyal following in this community. Ermac has tons of fans. Yet he is never played at the sharp end. That is a clear indication to me that he is nowhere near S tier.

You wanna talk match-ups ? Spectral probably belongs in the bottom half of the list so lets talk about Mystic. Mystic has better match-ups than Sorcerer Quan ? Better than Kenshi Possessed ? Better than Ravenous Mileena ??? All those are listed as A+ (which is probably ok). It's Ermac that's listed way too high.
2 seasons of kombat cup has made it clear to me that Ermac is a very over-hyped character. The way I see it, match-ups and tiers only apply at the highest level of play where the game is extremely tight and very few frames are left on the table. In that setting Ermac doesn't seem nearly as good as it seems in this forum.

In years gone by most good players just had one character that they played at any given period. These days that's no longer the case. Most good players seem to have 2-3 characters/variations that they are comfortable playing at a tournament. This makes it even more obvious to me that Ermac is average.

Fox has like 5-6 variations ready to go at any time.
Dragon has 5
Semij has 2
Rewind has like 4
Illusions has 2
Tweedy has...just 1 I think
Yungmonster has 2-3
Revetleafing has 3
Destroyer has 2
Scar has 2
Deoxys has like 4

Not one of those variations is Ermac.

Mystic and Spectral are S tier ? Give me a break !
That's because Big D and Toxin were not there. Flowchart has a really good Mystic beat a few if those mentioned above. Ermac is S tier. No question about it.

dubson

Noob
I aint one for long winded forum discussions @dubson but everything is relative. I've been playing Spectral almost exclusively from day 1 and played offline with some of the worlds best and went toe to toe.

He is a strong character who doesn't really struggle against 80% of the cast. I just agree that in theoretical tier lists, he belongs among the top. Those who have played an optimized and space control orientated Spectral know why he is such a strong variation. Don't ever let his popularity dictate his stature.

On now to Injustice 2.
For the record, I hope I did not imply I underestimate Spectral Ermac's power in this version of the game. I do think he is very strong. In fact, I do not know who I think is stronger atm between Mystic and Spectral, but atm I am actually leaning on Spectral. I think he has definitely been underplayed to date in big tournaments(at least in the US).

move on guys come on, ya'll feel better, play injustice 2 and Tekken 7
Not all of us are interested in Injustice, bro... I'm an MK-head.

I will kontinue to play MKX until 11 comes out and I want to help keep it alive.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Not all of us are interested in Injustice, bro... I'm an MK-head.

I will kontinue to play MKX until 11 comes out and I want to help keep it alive.
Same here. I am a little perturbed at how quickly "MK" fans leave MKX for another game, when it is still a perfectly viable game. I've been playing it a lot lately and I love it just as much as I did back in 2015. With such a big and varied roster, out of which I've only really explored 3-4 characters, there is so much replay value left. Just started practicing with Kenshi yesterday, for example. Also, I am happy to see there is still plenty of competition left on PSN.

callMEcrazy

Same here. I am a little perturbed at how quickly "MK" fans leave MKX for another game, when it is still a perfectly viable game. I've been playing it a lot lately and I love it just as much as I did back in 2015. With such a big and varied roster, out of which I've only really explored 3-4 characters, there is so much replay value left. Just started practicing with Kenshi yesterday, for example. Also, I am happy to see there is still plenty of competition left on PSN.
Oh absolutely. 100 variations ! That's a hell lot of stuff to explore. And IMO the latest patch left MKX in a pretty good state. People still play games like KOF 98 and Samurai Showdown 2 to this day. And there's Smash Bros Melee as well which has big community even now, 16 years after release. Compared to those games MKX is still a brand new game. I'll play some Injustice 2 if it comes out on PC but MKX is here to stay. I aint quittin.

Roy Arkon

Oh absolutely. 100 variations ! That's a hell lot of stuff to explore. And IMO the latest patch left MKX in a pretty good state. People still play games like KOF 98 and Samurai Showdown 2 to this day. And there's Smash Bros Melee as well which has big community even now, 16 years after release. Compared to those games MKX is still a brand new game. I'll play some Injustice 2 if it comes out on PC but MKX is here to stay. I aint quittin.
This and this.