What's new

Fighting Game Designer looking to plug in.

Welcome to TYM Mr. Strange! I'm surprised to see you in this neck of the woods but info on a new kaiju fighting title is a sight for sore eyes for a couple of us.

While it's great to see you putting out a title, I think elaborating more on your direction with this project would help sway people to your side.

Right now CKC looks a lot like Save the Earth/Destroy all Monsters Melee, which is great in my opinion, but does this mean you are going back to your roots?

Living Corpse
Living Corpse would probably like/know about this, if he doesn't already. i've seen him mention and discuss these games quite a bit.

welcome to the forums btw!

edit: actually, i think living corpse made a thread about this. i remember seeing a few of the kaiju shown in the char select in your video.
I know, I told him about this site on the CKC forums. ;)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Welcome Mr. Strange

If you're aiming to make a competitively viable game it is important to make a design decision and stand by it in terms of how the characters play, and imo go full-steam ahead with it. Are the characters going to all have very similar tools like standardized attacks, jump heights, movement speeds, etc and then just a few unique attacks? Or are they going to completely unique and have their own tool set for example some run faster than others, some fly, some can go underground, some are up close characters, some are crazy "zoners" (Not sure on your familiarity with the community's terms but it basically means using projectiles)? The latter, if done properly, is a lot of fun because it allows for a multitude of experiences and variety for the user to enjoy; but as I'm sure you know, it is quite hard to achieve a nice balance using such a design philosophy.

In my personal opinion, I feel like a 3D game such as this should follow the whole "big and unique" design philosophy because that is how your going to appeal to players, by making some over the top crazy fun and unique game. If you could do this, while still making the game fairly balanced, then I believe you will find some success within the expanding modern-era fighting games.

Things I can say:

There needs to be some sort of universal mechanic(s) to allow for characters to compete regardless of the match-up. If you have a fast flying character who shoots lots of projectiles against someone who is rather slow and needs to be close to damage it's pretty obvious who is going to win here. Things like varying life amounts or even meter to spend on special enhanced moves that would allow the slow-grounded character to advance with ease.

Expanding on meter, I feel as though it is almost a necessity in fighting games today, because it not only helps balance the game as mentioned earlier by providing special enhanced attacks that would be broken normally, but also because it introduces a new level of depth to the game. I recall playing a PS2 game called "War of Monsters" and me and my brother had a really fun time playing this game, but one thing I vaguely remember is that there was no meter. You had to pick up health packs that spawned around the map and little energy balls (which allowed you to use supers) which gave an unfair advantage to the more mobile characters in the game. I think it would be very interesting to see a proper meter system implemented into a game such as this.

If you're going that split-screen route like War of the Monsters, rather than the traditional shared-screen like in fighters today, you could even add another level of depth by introducing a mechanic used in the popular MOBA League of Legends, which is known as a "skill-shot". Because you would be in complete control of your own character in the map, it should be very possibly to allow players to aim their attacks and projectiles in a certain direction. In a competitive fighter the neutral game (state at which nobody is being pressured or zoned, it's kind of like a stalemate) spacing and positioning is very important. Imagine having players be able to aim their projectiles thrown, rewarding you for making a proper read and throwing that fireball in the right spot. Or what if your in a map where there are destroyed buildings you could angle a fireball a certain way to give you a positional advantage.

There's a lot of possibilities in a game like this honestly. I would personally heavily advise against making any sort of map-spawning buff (like those pesky health packs that spawned like I mentioned above) and I would try to think of some sort of mechanic to stop the game from becoming a game of match-ups alone, there has to be some sort of stabilizing factor if you will.

Respect that you came out of your way to speak to the MK Community, hopefully we're able to help you.

awesome I own all those games =D world does need more giant monster fighters
Well right now we have super hero games cause those kinds of movies are doing well as a trend. We have a Godzilla film coming May 16 and a lot of people liked Pacific Rim so if giant monsters catch on as a trend in films again that'll mean game companies will jump on the bandwagon and milk it for it's worth.

We totally need a daikaiju fan club on these forums so we can all find each other. XD

No need to tag me Living Corpse, i was already looking at this and already looked up all of the monsters. I don't think i can contribute from a FGT perspective though.

Destroy All Monsters Melee was one of my FAVORITE games for the Gamecube. That game got more playtime at my house than Smash Bros did!

If this game comes out as good as that did, I will definitely buy it!

Though it would have to be on XBL- as I have a PC but my operating system is Linux.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Quick random note Mr. Strange: you might want to look at videos of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram on YouTube if you're not already familiar. It's probably much faster and somewhat more range-based than you are planning for, but it's also one of the only fighting games I can think of which has basically no stationary defense mechanic and you may want to consider how some of what they did applies here.

I have a lot more to add, but that was a quick source to draw from. I may come check out your forums, it's hard to stay away from a developer actively looking for input and especially from people with high level background.

Are those character models (of the 4 that are available) finalized versions of those characters, or will they be improving over time to look closer to the concept art that is posted on your character section?
Many of them are final. (Duncan, Lycanoid, DragonLotus) The four Kaijuland characters (Komododon, Gigashark, Magnarok, and one unshown) are part of a separate game, with a more colorful, cartoony look. Those are also close to final.

There is a dangerous lack of any Cthulhu inspired monsters!!! Show me a tentacled monstrosity, and I would be on board for this!

We have plans for including Cthulhu himself in our "elder Gods" game! The community votes on each roster, so I can't guarantee anything, but I suspect that will be our follow-up game to the Fall of Nemesis.

Also, Ikameijin is totally a tentacled squid-mastermind...

Quick random note Mr. Strange: you might want to look at videos of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram on YouTube if you're not already familiar.
I'm quite familiar! I played a ton of Virtual On in arcades back in the day.

If you're aiming to make a competitively viable game it is important to make a design decision and stand by it in terms of how the characters play, and imo go full-steam ahead with it. Are the characters going to all have very similar tools like standardized attacks, jump heights, movement speeds, etc and then just a few unique attacks? Or are they going to completely unique and have their own tool set?
We're going for wild asymmetry, just as you suggest.

Things I can say:

There needs to be some sort of universal mechanic(s) to allow for characters to compete regardless of the match-up. If you have a fast flying character who shoots lots of projectiles against someone who is rather slow and needs to be close to damage it's pretty obvious who is going to win here. Things like varying life amounts or even meter to spend on special enhanced moves that would allow the slow-grounded character to advance with ease.
My fighting game design philosophy is to have "nested R-P-S loops" which provide the sort of tension you're describing. We have four fighting styles in the game - Melee, Ranged, Cotrol (Grappling and a few other special-case things like freeze & stun), and Charging. Each has a certain advantage/weakness compared to other styles. All monsters use all four styles, but most have a favorite.

On top of that we have a damage type system, which means attacks deal different amounts of damage to different characters. In general the combat styles that have an advantage deal a type of damage to which the opponent has a strong resistance. So you need to decided - deal reduced damage but keep the fight in your favorite style? Or go for more damage by branching out?

Then within both of these we have Quick->Chain->Fierce, our three attack buttons. (And Power, but that's limited by the energy meter.)

There's a lot of possibilities in a game like this honestly. I would personally heavily advise against making any sort of map-spawning buff (like those pesky health packs that spawned like I mentioned above) and I would try to think of some sort of mechanic to stop the game from becoming a game of match-ups alone, there has to be some sort of stabilizing factor if you will.
Well, you'll be slightly disappointed to here that we do, in fact, have powerups which spawn during battles. But we didn't just throw them in lightly - they form part of our movement system, which is heavily based around weapons cover and environmental destruction.

There is a dangerous lack of any Cthulhu inspired monsters!!! Show me a tentacled monstrosity, and I would be on board for this!

We have plans for including Cthulhu himself in our "elder Gods" game! The community votes on each roster, so I can't guarantee anything, but I suspect that will be our follow-up game to the Fall of Nemesis.

Also, Ikameijin is totally a tentacled squid-mastermind...
Pic and link for reference.

http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ckc_monster_list:ikameijin

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
Not trying to hijack the thread but what happens if a game has no footsies?
Nothing o.o just saying that it looked like being better than your opponent in this game is knowing the range of your attacks better.
In the end each attack has different reach, it's quite hard to create a fighting game without footsies :|
From the developer's reply, the game is going to be all about footsies and wiff punishing.

And really, Injustice is only my third FG ;) don't ask me as if I know anything

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I might be like, the only person in America that liked this game but I thought Deadliest Warrior was fun spiritual successor to Bushido Blade. Granted it had some issues (broke ass Ninja) but I played it for a bit.

kronspik

Noob
For that same reason, we don't have a very strong notion of combos. There is no way you can guaranteed a string of hits - because if your opponent guesses your next attack they are almost always able to counter.

Not to say we don't have attack chains which combo assuming your opponent mis-guesses!
So, for example, if you are hit by the first attack in a chain, you are then put into a situation where you have a 50% chance of countering the next attack in the chain, and that repeats until the chain ends or you guess correctly?

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Quick random note Mr. Strange: you might want to look at videos of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram on YouTube if you're not already familiar. It's probably much faster and somewhat more range-based than you are planning for, but it's also one of the only fighting games I can think of which has basically no stationary defense mechanic and you may want to consider how some of what they did applies here.

I have a lot more to add, but that was a quick source to draw from. I may come check out your forums, it's hard to stay away from a developer actively looking for input and especially from people with high level background.
Favourite game of all time. (Hence my tag)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Living Corpse The only monster game I really got into was War of the Monsters, but boy did I love it. Gimme more of that. :p I wanna throw some beast through a building and watch the building collapse in their wake. That being said, this looks like it might be my next monster fix. I've been needing one. :)