What's new

Fighting Game Designer looking to plug in.

So, for example, if you are hit by the first attack in a chain, you are then put into a situation where you have a 50% chance of countering the next attack in the chain, and that repeats until the chain ends or you guess correctly?

That is more or less correct. There are other special-case options on a per-character basis, potentially using the Energy meter, Defense, etc.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Mr. Strange : I was really upset when they took down Rampage off the PSN store..

I really look forward to this game though. Was thinking about a game like this just yesterday and I was trying to figure out how to balance a Kraken... lol.

I had two stances in mind for it. Walking stance where it has shorter range but it kan maneuver better. And Tentacle Stance where it kould attack with ranged tentacles but lacked mobility. It would be hard to implement a kreature like this though I'd imagine.

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
It's not how many fighting games you've played. It's how much time you've put into those fighting games...
True true, it's just that many people like to show off how long they've been playing fighting games. (and it's just that this way it's much simpler to say: )
But I had 10 friends who I used to play frequently the first two (which means only offline) and Injustice I only have 1000 online matches which is nothing compared to 90% of the TYM community (estimation)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
True true, it's just that many people like to show off how long they've been playing fighting games. (and it's just that this way it's much simpler to say: )
But I had 10 friends who I used to play frequently the first two (which means only offline) and Injustice I only have 1000 online matches which is nothing compared to 90% of the TYM community (estimation)

What games did you play?

PS: There's also offline only players. I don't really play online that much in Injustice. For MK I definitely didn't.

CommonNick

What games did you play?

PS: There's also offline only players. I don't really play online that much in Injustice. For MK I definitely didn't.
MKvsDC and MK9. I'm not an offline only player because we were friends from highschool and all but one have already joined the army.
I would LOVE to play offline with other good players, it's just that there are not so many people from my country that are playing Injustice, so we all just play online through PSN.
Do you go to specific arcades to play Injustice with other players?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
MKvsDC and MK9. I'm not an offline only player because we were friends from highschool and all but one have already joined the army.
I would LOVE to play offline with other good players, it's just that there are not so many people from my country that are playing Injustice, so we all just play online through PSN.
Do you go to specific arcades to play Injustice with other players?

What kountry are you from?

I'm part of the So Cal Scene...

Super Arcade (WNF) is the most known location for Injustice but I don't usually go since I'm usually short on kash. I usually play at Krayzie's or lab it up in practice mode for hours. I used to be extremely active for MK. Would never miss anything for that game..

CommonNick

What kountry are you from?

I'm part of the So Cal Scene...

Super Arcade (WNF) is the most known location for Injustice but I don't usually go since I'm usually short on kash. I usually play at Krayzie's or lab it up in practice mode for hours. I used to be extremely active for MK. Would never miss anything for that game..
Israel, if one day I'll decide to come for a month to USA I'll make sure I visit some good arcades.
People here like to play soccer games and shooters (I don't like any of them =P ) and many play LOL(which online only anyway), fighting games are not so popular here :(

BTW are you a Harley player too? (your signature)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Israel, if one day I'll decide to come for a month to USA I'll make sure I visit some good arcades.
People here like to play soccer games and shooters (I don't like any of them =P ) and many play LOL(which online only anyway), fighting games are not so popular here :(

BTW are you a Harley player too? (your signature)

There aren't that many arcades so don't be disappointed.

Harley was my first main. I used to use her before the game kame out but dropped her when it did. (She really sucked kompared to others in the pre-day 1 patch build. Nightwing, Green Lantern, and Superman had block infinites. Aquaman's Low Scoop was safe. etc..)

When the game kame out I decided I didn't want to be limited by my character. I'm not a tier whore but I'm not a low tier player.

Pre-Day 1: Harley Main, Raven Secondary
Day 1: Raven Main, Superman for the Day 1 tournament since I knew he was broken and I needed to kover my bad match ups like Lex and Grundy.

I kan explain my progression of characters if you want to know?

CommonNick

There aren't that many arcades so don't be disappointed.

Harley was my first main. I used to use her before the game kame out but dropped her when it did. (She really sucked kompared to others in the pre-day 1 patch build. Nightwing, Green Lantern, and Superman had block infinites. Aquaman's Low Scoop was safe. etc..)

When the game kame out I decided I didn't want to be limited by my character. I'm not a tier whore but I'm not a low tier player.

Pre-Day 1: Harley Main, Raven Secondary
Day 1: Raven Main, Superman for the Day 1 tournament since I knew he was broken and I needed to kover my bad match ups like Lex and Grundy.

I kan explain my progression of characters if you want to know?
Go for it, I will read it and it sounds interesting if that's what you're asking. why not :)
I picked HQ, than HG-->Flash-->NW-->Grundy and than came back to Harley cuz I love her <3 and I hate mirror matches.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Go for it, I will read it and it sounds interesting if that's what you're asking. why not :)
I picked HQ, than HG-->Flash-->NW-->Grundy and than came back to Harley cuz I love her <3 and I hate mirror matches.

Ok. Here's what follows. lol.

After that I mained Flash for the longest. Then I bumped Nighting up to a main for two days because I thought (and still do) that he was kinda dumb in a good way. I used him for a large (almost a major) tournament kalled "Vindication" then I dropped him since I thought he was boring in staff but I felt like that was his strong suit.

During that time I was messing with Arrow but I didn't use him because I thought he was too simple. Eventually when I dove into him I found him really fun to use and stuck with him ever since. I was starting to use Batman as a kounter to Superman and to kover Arrow's bad match ups since he was the funnest top tier character at the time. Two weeks later Martian kame out and I picked him up the day he kame out.

Somewhere along that time I picked up Deathstroke because I loved his oki and found that he kould deal with Superman as well. I didn't want to use him because he was too much of a zoner for me at first. The main reason I originally picked him up was to help my training partner learn the match up. (At that time Aris was winning the local WNF tournaments konsistently with that character.) So I picked up Deathstroke after the nerf, never really used him before the nerf.

PS: I hate Grundy.. lol.

CommonNick

"since I thought he was boring in staff"
Exactly why I ditched him.

"PS: I hate Grundy.. lol."
Exactly why I picked him (you're not the only one)

I hate MMH, I still don't know how to deal with his zoning.
So what's your main now?

Mr. Strange : I was really upset when they took down Rampage off the PSN store..

I really look forward to this game though. Was thinking about a game like this just yesterday and I was trying to figure out how to balance a Kraken... lol.

I had two stances in mind for it. Walking stance where it has shorter range but it kan maneuver better. And Tentacle Stance where it kould attack with ranged tentacles but lacked mobility. It would be hard to implement a kreature like this though I'd imagine.

We use a very flexible state machine on our character back-end, so it's actually very simple to implement multi-stance characters. The cost there comes from additional animation needs rather than technical concerns.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
We use a very flexible state machine on our character back-end, so it's actually very simple to implement multi-stance characters. The cost there comes from additional animation needs rather than technical concerns.

I was imagining the komplications would arise from balancing the character and the technical aspects behind the tentacles rather than the stances. But it's good to know that stances are easily implemented.

A few of you have jumped into our forums, and that's great! We're still pre-Beta, so there isn't a ton to actually do in assistance to the project yet - but staying informed is a good first step.

We're also in the last 3 days of our Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/colossal-kaiju-combat-expanded-and-upgraded-ouya

We'll still get the game out regardless of success or failure, but this money would really help us get things done on a quicker time-table. I'll especially point out the $200 reward tier, which allows you to submit a character design and skip the first (and hardest!) step of being selected out of the 1,000 fan-monsters. This puts your character on a card, and makes it eligible to be voted into the game as a playable character. You have to collaborate on the character with me & our art director - so $200 doesn't give you the option of adding a giant dick monster. But outside of the wildly inappropriate, you'll have a lot of creative freedom.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Any news on this?
They're still working on it and Simon has been very attentive to the Kaiju forums. Unfortunately the goal was to have a release by the end 0f 2013 or Jan 2014. That hasn't happened yet. They did meet the kick-starter though. I'm really hoping the first pack is definitely worth the cash so that way they can keep on expanding on it.

Justice

Noob
Punts @Mr. Strange out on his ear.

I played Rampage and followed Deadliest Warrior. It looked awesome but was never able to get my hands on it :(

I also feel you on the graphics. My fave wrestling game is Fire Pro Returns. It looks like an SNES game on the ps2 but is hands down a better game than anything being released today.

Welcome to TYM. I'm sure you'll find lots of nice and helpful peeps here :D

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
It certainly is an interesting concept.Not many fighting games in the EVO circuit in the past years have a 3D environment, Tekken and Soul, off the top of my head.

I do recall members from Atari Community mentioning that you were big on community feedback for G:U. (2007-2008 for me mind you, following the release of G:U)

Members from this Website (a small minority, but they are registered users) have worked with Netherrealm Studios and WB Games on Injustice, so they certainly are knowledgeable on working with fighters. You might be able to contact them unless they have some sort of binding contract with Warner Brothers.

EDIT: This kaiju artwork on the wiki looks familiar, were they made by Matt Frank?
That Hollywood status those ppl have though.