What's new

Fair Play in MK 11

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I played a KL set once where this Raiden player waited for me cause someone was at the door and it was the most wholesome thing I ever experienced. Waiting is good sportsmanship sure, but you can't expect people to know what's happening, especially when you play in the KL for points. Suck it up, buttercup.

Wigy

There it is...
I back off and let them come back, which is usually met with an appreciative teabag when they are.

Unless they play Liu Kang Jax or cetrion. Then I do the fastest damage possible and teabag their potato characters

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I wouldnt expect my opponent to pauze when i stop moving so why the hell would i do the same. If you cant play game for 3 minutes without having to get phonecalls, open the door for the pizzaman, get your dog inside, switch batteries for your controller, whatever you had to do , then dont play ranked.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I've only played MK 9 and MK11 on a.... competitive level.
For me it's always fair play in whatever condition and aspect of the game.
I don't care about stuff some people say in this thread (like: it's KL, gear and stuff are on the line). If sth happens and I understand that the other guy stopped playing I wait for 7-10 seconds, i go full screen and wait there.
If i get matched up with a 150+plus ping with a higher rank than me, I never click ACCEPT just to go for those sweet 120+points in case i win. I respect the other guy's points and let them decide 1st before i click 'accept".
If I keep destroying someone in the corner and I'm already up 1-0,I uppercut them to get him out of it. I've even done that twice in tournaments back in the mk9 days and have it on stream for proof.
If the other guy teabaggs me on the 1st game and i am Lucky enough to comeback, i do the Quick sweep during "finish him" . I must have only done like 4 or 5 fatalities and another 5 or 6 brutalities in around 1000-1100 online games. Never send hatemail, Never respond to hatemail or open mics, i create my own party to avoid stupid people that leave their microphones near a source of loud noise on purpose and during boss tag towers, after i beat the boss myself, i get them in during the "finish him" screen for them to get the skins. Because If you don't get your turn during those fights, you get nothing on gear/skins etc.
That's it for me.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
But in good tone they should. It's my personal opinion. That is essence of fair play: you don't have to but you will do. Do you like football (soccer)? Once in english league football player Paulo di Canio had chance to score goal. Goalkeeper of the opponent team was injured and lied on the pitch. Di Canio had empty goal. He catched the ball and let medical service to help injured keeper.

After many years everybody remember this. He should score goal and win one single match. Now history remembered Di Canio as a most fair play player in football history. He is immortal.

Have you get my point ? You can wait and then you will get big respect. You can also win one single match in Kombat League. About that match everybody will forget soon. MK is like a football game.

ps. tak się produkuję z angielskim, a kolega z Polski :)

No, it's in bad tone that you were so rude and irresponsible enough to hop on line without checking your battery.

It's all great and fine that it happens and if someone wants do you the solid of waiting on you, but framing it like they owe it to you to deal with your laziness is not cool.

A broken controller is one thing but nobody can really know what's happening.

For the record I do tend to wait, but it happens way too often that people just sit there. I don't know what's happening, and whatever it is is ultimately not my fault and already damaged the outcome.

No, it's in bad tone that you were so rude and irresponsible enough to hop on line without checking your battery.

It's all great and fine that it happens and if someone wants do you the solid of waiting on you, but framing it like they owe it to you to deal with your laziness is not cool.

A broken controller is one thing but nobody can really know what's happening.

For the record I do tend to wait, but it happens way too often that people just sit there. I don't know what's happening, and whatever it is is ultimately not my fault and already damaged the outcome.
You didn't get a point. What bad will happen to you when you will wait 5-7 seconds ?

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I don't really care one way or the other. There's no way of knowing if someone had a controller die or you just morally crushed them and they stopped trying or they intentionally want to throw a round for bravado. If it's it blatantly obvious then sure I might give it a few but usually I just keep it moving man it's not that serious. I don't expect people to psychically know why my character stopped moving.

You didn't get a point. What bad will happen to you when you will wait 5-7 seconds ?
You've basically ignored everything that has been said to you. We get your point, it's nice and fuzzy to have the opponent wait for you to get your shit together, but nobody owes that to you.

What bad will happen to you when you will lose a single match?

Many of us wait, we're telling you we agree in part with what you're saying, but it also goes both ways. If I'm expected to sit on my hands until you're ready, you also are expected to accept a loss if you delay a match for any reason.

And as others have said: check your battery before going online, that way you avoid this entire situation and nobody has to walk away salty about it.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I absolutely did not. If you are going to play a competitive mode then you need to act like a compeditor and show up prepared.

It's nobody elses burden to help you be prepared. In the case of a battery failure this is actually framing one person's totally lack of foresight and sportsmanship as the other's.

Mechanical failures are another matter because stuff happens and it's just nobody's fault. Its hard to know what the right call is sometimes, and the outcome is already damaged, so just move on to the next match.

I consider it a faux pas on my part if my controller dies, if something happens that delays my selections, or if I accidentally choose same character very similar skin. I don’t expect to have extraordinary courtesy extended to me, although of course it’s appreciated.

I’ve come across lots of people with manners and common courtesy whilst playing, and of course some bizarrely toxic people. KL or not, if I notice that someone is AFK, I’ll wait as long as possible.

Bear in mind a lot of people can’t hear your mic if you ask for a favour, or perhaps even understand what is being said if they can. Toxic weirdos aside (they all use ninja characters, right?!), I’ve been impressed with the etiquette I’ve witnessed.

To be honest I wonder that anbody knows what is fair play rule ? I don't expect from anybody to wait 20-30 sec or more. I only expect that my opponent will wait 3-4 sec when he realize something that something is wrong. ONLY THAT KIND OF SITUATIONS. How many times will you have that kind of situation ? 2? maybe 3 ?

I played yesterday. I hit my opponent with 1,1 and then another 1,1 without block. On high level that should not be happen. So I wait a few sec. Guy stay in one place, then he pressed down, down, block, block and we continue. I played on PC and his cable dissconected from his pad.

Did I lose something ? No. I lost that game but I lost fair.

This guy had just given me a Mercy in the previous round match, when he could have taken the set. After posting in this thread, I felt compelled. Ouch.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
You've basically ignored everything that has been said to you. We get your point, it's nice and fuzzy to have the opponent wait for you to get your shit together, but nobody owes that to you.

What bad will happen to you when you will lose a single match?

Many of us wait, we're telling you we agree in part with what you're saying, but it also goes both ways. If I'm expected to sit on my hands until you're ready, you also are expected to accept a loss if you delay a match for any reason.

And as others have said: check your battery before going online, that way you avoid this entire situation and nobody has to walk away salty about it.
This x100000

I'll attack, kill him and move onto the next match. If he says over the mic that his controller died and he'll need a second to change the batteries, I'll wait, but other than that, I don't know what the guy's problems are and they're not my problems. I'm not going to sit there staring at a screen until he comes back from going to the bathroom or making a sandwich or whatever he's doing. I loaded up the game in order to play the game and if he can't do that, I'll move on to somebody who can.

mrapchem

Noob
I do not mean to be mean, but the author's post is a patent example of a Scrub-Complex. Scrubs impose arbitrary rules and limitations on themselves when playing fighting games and then get upset when their opponents don't subscribe to those same rules.

Not attacking an immobile opponent is a courtesy, not a rule, especially when it comes to people that aren't familiar with each other.

Other posters in this thread have laid it out clearly: in a fighting game, you are owed nothing but an ass-kicking at the hands of your opponent.

To be honest I wonder that anbody knows what is fair play rule ? I don't expect from anybody to wait 20-30 sec or more. I only expect that my opponent will wait 3-4 sec when he realize something that something is wrong. ONLY THAT KIND OF SITUATIONS. How many times will you have that kind of situation ? 2? maybe 3 ?

I played yesterday. I hit my opponent with 1,1 and then another 1,1 without block. On high level that should not be happen. So I wait a few sec. Guy stay in one place, then he pressed down, down, block, block and we continue. I played on PC and his cable dissconected from his pad.

Did I lose something ? No. I lost that game but I lost fair.
Again, many of us have already agreed that we're willing to wait a few seconds, yet you just repeat your same points again.
What do you want?