What's new

Video/Tutorial Face Rearranged!: The Ultimate Wing Evade Guide

Boodendorf

Woooow....so I just filmed the gaps for Green Lantern...his entire mix up game from his B1 (the low starter) is incredibly easy to interrupt with Wing Evade...it's laughable. This MU just changed, imo....
Well Lantern can just do b1 xx lanterns might to catch your wing evade every time.... but then you can not do wing evade and just block and he'll eat a combo.

At least now we have options against that ridiculously good b1 string starter... but lanterns still gonna give HG a tough time as any WE3 they read they can punish with a lantern's might MB combo still. It's still gonna be tough to get in and start an offense on lantern, but at least now we don't have to give up free pressure to to his strings.

4x4lo8o

Noob
It's easy to figure out which strings she can possibly interrupt. Just pick a char, set AI to always block and jump, then do the char's strings or strings into specials on it. If the AI attempts to jump then you know what you tried is not true block string and that HG can most likely interrupt it with her wing evade as long as the next move in the string doesn't have the reach to hit her while in last few frames of WE animation.
It's easier than this. Set the bot to Hawkgirl and turn on reversal-WE and start trying out strings. It should attempt to WE out of any gaps, and it will be very easy to see which gaps can be successfully evaded and which ones get stuffed. The only thing is that this method won't show you any strings that have 2 gaps, because it will always try to reversal out of the first gap. I guess other than trying to test everything by hand the best way to find gaps like that would be setting it to random reversal and trying all the strings with early gaps multiple times or just turning on reversal mode mid-string(I don't know if this works)

RunwayMafia, Ares f1d3 string has a gap that wasn't listed because the d3 hits low making the gap unparry-able. I haven't tested if Wing Evade works and Ares players don't really use that string but there are probably other character with similar strings that you should look for. Also, Ares d1~d4 has a gap, although I suspect that gets stuffed and you can also interrupt with d1 it could be useful because some Ares players like to use d1~GS if they notice you interrupting d1~d4 and WE should handle that

I suppose the other thing to test after you get all the string gaps would be multi-hitting specials and maybe specials that can be MB on block adding another hit(like Superman's heatvision or GL's fireball, although I'd be surprised if it worked on either of those).

When you release the final guide can you be sure to also post a written list of all the strings and gaps. This is the kind of thing I'd have to check back on frequently as I learn match ups and whatnot and sometimes a video can be hard to reference quickly, especially from a phone

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
It's easier than this. Set the bot to Hawkgirl and turn on reversal-WE and start trying out strings. It should attempt to WE out of any gaps, and it will be very easy to see which gaps can be successfully evaded and which ones get stuffed. The only thing is that this method won't show you any strings that have 2 gaps, because it will always try to reversal out of the first gap. I guess other than trying to test everything by hand the best way to find gaps like that would be setting it to random reversal and trying all the strings with early gaps multiple times or just turning on reversal mode mid-string(I don't know if this works)

RunwayMafia, Ares f1d3 string has a gap that wasn't listed because the d3 hits low making the gap unparry-able. I haven't tested if Wing Evade works and Ares players don't really use that string but there are probably other character with similar strings that you should look for. Also, Ares d1~d4 has a gap, although I suspect that gets stuffed and you can also interrupt with d1 it could be useful because some Ares players like to use d1~GS if they notice you interrupting d1~d4 and WE should handle that

I suppose the other thing to test after you get all the string gaps would be multi-hitting specials and maybe specials that can be MB on block adding another hit(like Superman's heatvision or GL's fireball, although I'd be surprised if it worked on either of those).

When you release the final guide can you be sure to also post a written list of all the strings and gaps. This is the kind of thing I'd have to check back on frequently as I learn match ups and whatnot and sometimes a video can be hard to reference quickly, especially from a phone
Thank you for all the great info! Did you watch my mock/preview in the OP? I will have a live demonstration of every gap with it listed on screen...did you want an actual list on paper as well?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Thank you for all the great info! Did you watch my mock/preview in the OP? I will have a live demonstration of every gap with it listed on screen...did you want an actual list on paper as well?
Yeah, the paper list is what I wanted. If I'm in the middle of a casual set or before a tournament match or something like that I want to be able to quickly pull up this thread on my phone, scroll to the character, and at glance be reminded of which strings I can interrupt

RunwayMafia

Man, pulling this off online is really damn hard, even on GL's b13/b12 :/. Offline it ain't as hard.
Yeah..as usual offline is easier. But with a lot of practice and anticipation it will become easier online...people used to say it would be impossible for Jade to interrupt strings with glow in MK9 (online) and I started to do it with ease. :)

RunwayMafia

I think ice arrow is either db4 or df4. Once you equip the arrow, just do d1 xx d4.
Ok...when I set HG as the AI to do a reversal Wing Evade she definitely get's up in the air....however when I'm the HawkGirl I keep getting hit by the arrow while im in the air....so there is def. a gap...and stuffed it with D1...i'll keep trying....it could be my timing

RunwayMafia

Ok...so how do I calculate the actual number of frames in the gap? In MK there was a formula where you subtracted the Execution frames from the block advantage frames or some shit. For example...HawkGirl has a gap in 12B3...gap being between 2 and B3. So I'm looking at the frame data in the game and it says 12 has 14 recovery frames while 12B3 has 11...so is her gap 3 frames? I have no idea on how to list the frames for each gap...

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ok...so how do I calculate the actual number of frames in the gap? In MK there was a formula where you subtracted the Execution frames from the block advantage frames or some shit. For example...HawkGirl has a gap in 12B3...gap being between 2 and B3. So I'm looking at the frame data in the game and it says 12 has 14 recovery frames while 12B3 has 11...so is her gap 3 frames? I have no idea on how to list the frames for each gap...
Yeah, that was one of the first gripes I had about the frame data. There doesn't appear to be any way to calculate the gap from the numbers it gives. You need cancel advantage. You can't even see where the gaps are from the data, so anything you get you have to find by testing your self. Somberness really spoiled us in MK9.

If you want to get a rough idea of the size of a gap you can play against the Flash and set him to do reversal Flying Uppercut. If you do a string and he tries to reversal and gets stuffed the gaps is less than 6 frames. If he knocks you out then it's more than 6. If it's more than 6 you can move on to slower specials until you find one that's not fast enough or you can just start testing poking out with various normals. If the gap is less than 6 you test with Batman's 1 frame parry and Jokers 2 frame parry, but if the gap is between 2-5 frames then I can't think of any way to figure out the exact number of frames.

In general most people just need to know if the gap is greater or less than 6 frames and if it's more than 6 they can poke out and if it's less than 6 they can only dash. With Hawkgirl's WE she can probably take advantage of gaps less than 6 frames, but it probably has more to do with the properties of the string - hitbox, forward advancing, etc - than it does with the size of the gap.

So I wouldn't worry about listing the size of the gap other than what Hawkgirl can do with it. Maybe just note that it's greater/less than 6 frames so people tell if they can d1 out.

There are other gaps like this in which parry moves get stuffed. Back Dashing works reliably though.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The list of gaps came from a parry guide, so there were some gaps that can be back dashed or otherwise abused that intentionally didn't get listed because the hit after the gap is low and the parries don't work on lows.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Ok...when I set HG as the AI to do a reversal Wing Evade she definitely get's up in the air....however when I'm the HawkGirl I keep getting hit by the arrow while im in the air....so there is def. a gap...and stuffed it with D1...i'll keep trying....it could be my timing
Have you tried doing wing evade xx flight and then move back and up to avoid the arrow? Flight stance slightly reduces your hurtbox, this could work.

Swoops

Noob
So, not sure if anyone else has seen this happen, but yesterday I was testing gaps and my general ability to hawk block (it's already catching on :eek:) and I noticed something odd. In gaps where the move following the gap was special cancel-able, I could wing evade out but I was still able to special cancel the string leading to a punish. In this instance I was in training with HG vs HG. I set the dummy to reversal wing evade, and started testing f1,1. Even though the dummy could wing evade out of the two hits, I could easily cancel the recovery of the second into MC/MT. Sometimes I could even hear the hit sound of the second 1.

So yea...weird. Some food for thought, haven't tested if this is universal for all characters with gaps before cancel-able normals.

On another note, I'm starting to become less intimidated by superman with the addition of hawk blocking. His gameplan seems so 2 dimensional, and hawkgirl can actually time a wing evade command just right to avoid a lot of his pressure. For example, a reversal against 11,2/low scoop can be timed so that you still block the low scoop if he goes for it, giving you a free punish. Breath is only +1 too, and midscreen I think d1 beats all of his options.

RunwayMafia

So, not sure if anyone else has seen this happen, but yesterday I was testing gaps and my general ability to hawk block (it's already catching on :eek:) and I noticed something odd. In gaps where the move following the gap was special cancel-able, I could wing evade out but I was still able to special cancel the string leading to a punish. In this instance I was in training with HG vs HG. I set the dummy to reversal wing evade, and started testing f1,1. Even though the dummy could wing evade out of the two hits, I could easily cancel the recovery of the second into MC/MT. Sometimes I could even hear the hit sound of the second 1.

So yea...weird. Some food for thought, haven't tested if this is universal for all characters with gaps before cancel-able normals.

On another note, I'm starting to become less intimidated by superman with the addition of hawk blocking. His gameplan seems so 2 dimensional, and hawkgirl can actually time a wing evade command just right to avoid a lot of his pressure. For example, a reversal against 11,2/low scoop can be timed so that you still block the low scoop if he goes for it, giving you a free punish. Breath is only +1 too, and midscreen I think d1 beats all of his options.
In regards to Superman...I totally agree. I play DanCock's superman quite often and if you anticipate his full screen laser just up and mace throw...also HawkBlocking against him is pretty easy...it just amazes me at how much press Superman is getting and everyone bitching about him, while HawkGirl players really don't have to worry TOO much while fighting him. It's glorious.

RunwayMafia

Boodendorf any/all
What are your best combos off of a naked WE(2)...I'm filming the intro right now and I have combos ranging from 16% to 30%. Meterless or Meter.