What's new

F Champ Receives Lifetime Ban, Racism in the FGC/USA, and Other Prevalent Social Discussions

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's not too surprising, actually. Tax policy in the US has been heavily influenced by lobbying groups for decades. It's somewhat ironic, but the wealthier you are, the easier it is to take advantage of tax planning policies ( or "loopholes").

I'd love to have some actual tax reform in the US, but most politicians are only interested in lowering tax rates or raising tax rates instead of actually reforming the tax code. There's just too many interested parties with money to spend.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
This is disgustingly transphobic what the fuck

EDIT.

(I realize I'm disobeying my own advice above but it's less me calling out Dave here than it is me calling out TYM mods who let this fly)
I get it, but this is a political thread with lots of users talking about their own political opinions. If I were to delete all Right/Conservative comments, it would just be people talking to themselves. I understand there's a limit to freedom of speech and yes saying trans people shouldn't be addressed by the pronouns of their choice is transphobic, he's stating his opinion and not calling to hurt any trans persons.

Do you guys want to debate, or do you want me to police every single post? Because if you chose the later, I'll just close this thread.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I mean as long as XX is kept separate from XY in prison, following pronouns shouldn't be a big deal for the guards to do. Just because that presents pretty big safety concern to XX if they are in the same place as XY for prisons...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I understand there's a limit to freedom of speech and yes saying trans people shouldn't be addressed by the pronouns of their choice is transphobic...
You are misrepresenting my position. I will address any individual in the way that he or she or they would like me to, but I dislike the government dictating what is acceptable speech and what is not.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I mean as long as XX is kept separate from XY in prison, following pronouns shouldn't be a big deal for the guards to do. Just because that presents pretty big safety concern to XX if they are in the same place as XY for prisons...
I just quickly skimmed it so far... But from what I gather, the intention is in fact to allow XX and XY to house together.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You are misrepresenting my position. I will address any individual in the way that he or she or they would like me to, but I dislike the government dictating what is acceptable speech and what is not.
Ah okay! Thanks for the clarification. EIther way, I think for threads specifically made to discuss political views it wouldn't be helpful if we would police opinions unless there is actual hatred and flaming going on.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I just quickly skimmed it so far... But from what I gather, the intention is in fact to allow XX and XY to house together.
Yeah that doesn't seem like a good idea. Recognizing someone's gender identity and respecting them is one thing that should be done, but for things like housing or athletics where the physical differences between XX and XY are extremely relevant, yeah....

Pangolin-man

My trusty sidekick is not amused!
Just curious, but do you have an alternative method of election? I'm going to assume that, if so, it's something other than "whoever gets the most votes," so I'm legitimately interested in your thoughts.
@Second Saint beat me to the punch on this one. His voting idea is fairly close to what I believe in as well.

The one thing I would like to say is that I would prefer a parliamentary system instead of the federal system we have now. In a pipedream world that I know will never happen, I would turn the House into a more parliamentary system and abolish the Senate. The Federalist Papers rightly warned about forming political parties, but people are inevitably going to do it anyway. At least with a parliamentary system, there would be more parties that reflect people's ideals and governments would have to be formed with some form of compromise.

The Senate is too powerful and it gives more proportional influence to states with tiny populations. Mitch McConnell is the most powerful man in Washington in many ways. Yet, he represents a small state and has been entrenched in corporate power for decades. It is not fair or democratic for California to have the same amount of senators as Wyoming or Kentucky. To be fair, it is also not fair that Texas has the same amount of senators as Vermont. Since the Senate is more powerful and influential in drafting and approving legislation, picking federal and Supreme Court judges, approving treaties, etc., it gives disproportional representation to the small states at the expense of the big states.

I have lived in the NYC and Philadelphia. More people lived in my neighborhoods than live in Wyoming. Yet, we have the same amount of representation in the Senate. It is intrinsically unfair.

Lastly, I would like term limits across the board for all federal, state, and local offices, including all judge positions and the Supreme Court. I would like national voting holidays so it is easier for people to vote. And, public-funded elections to keep corporate money out of politics. These ideas are probably not going to happen anytime soon. But, one can dream I guess.

What do you believe should be done?

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Seems really weird to me to wonder if a law that will almost surely never be enforced on police officers regarding calling someone by their preferred pronouns is the first wave of authoritarianism when the government is openly declaring what wrongspeak is (critical race theory) and actually punishing people for it, as they have for civil rights issues in the past.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Trump is wrong on critical race theory and the 1619 Project. If states, counties, and school districts decide to teach bogus social theories to students as other students are learning authentic history, how to read and write, math, science, and foreign languages, they should be able to do so, but parents should not be surprised when their children know nothing when they attend college. Speaking of colleges, students will be required to take a social science class in which these theories are taught anyway so no worries. If they do not learn the material in high school, they will certainly learn it in college while accumulating a plethora of debt.

I used to believe conservatives were delusional until I took a graduate class on instructional methods of English language learners. What in God's name does the class have anything to do with critical race theory and white privilege? The social sciences in American universities are arguably irreparable. These classes literally engage in indoctrination.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Trump is wrong on critical race theory and the 1619 Project. If states, counties, and school districts decide to teach bogus social theories to students as other students are learning authentic history, how to read and write, math, science, and foreign languages, they should be able to do so, but parents should not be surprised when their children know nothing when they attend college.
And now we have "increased focus in History class on the tragedy and fallout of slavery, and it's pivotal role in shaping US history = the students will 'know nothing' when they graduate" to add to the list of false narratives in this thread.

Come on man. You're writing a masterclass on the techniques used by racists, and then you wonder why people connect you to racist movements.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Trump is wrong on critical race theory and the 1619 Project. If states, counties, and school districts decide to teach bogus social theories to students as other students are learning authentic history, how to read and write, math, science, and foreign languages, they should be able to do so, but parents should not be surprised when their children know nothing when they attend college. Speaking of colleges, students will be required to take a social science class in which these theories are taught anyway so no worries. If they do not learn the material in high school, they will certainly learn it in college while accumulating a plethora of debt.

I used to believe conservatives were delusional until I took a graduate class on instructional methods of English language learners. What in God's name does the class have anything to do with critical race theory and white privilege? The social sciences in American universities are arguably irreparable. These classes literally engage in indoctrination.
Wait for it...

And now we have "increased focus in History class on the tragedy and fallout of slavery, and it's pivotal role in shaping US history = the students will 'know nothing' when they graduate" to add to the list of false narratives in this thread.

Come on man. You're writing a masterclass on the techniques used by racists, and then you wonder why people connect you to racist movements.
...aaand Crimson sums up what I'm thinking better than I'm capable of doing.

Now I know what wrestlers feel like when they lose their innocence and realize the fight they're in is a lie.

Defending dumb ideology is dumb.
Teach everyone the truth.
Let them figure it out for themselves.
Everyone's okay with capitalism's "survival of the fittest" standard until it's applied to people learning the truth for one's self about centuries-long institutionalized racist bullshit.
Because it's okay to disparage people at will whenever you please over the problems and woes that YOU escaped, but you can't get out of your own way when it comes to people telling you about what's real in the place THEY live and have endured decades on decades of this kind of stuff.

Cool.

:coffee:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The 1619 Project has been been described as a "displacement of historical understanding by ideology" and offering a "historically-limited view of slavery", according to several historians and scholars, while critical race theory has its own share of criticisms, one of which includes the argument "the white skin that some Americans possess is akin to owning a piece of property, in that it grants privileges to the owner that a renter (in this case, a person of color) would not be afforded."

You, King Hippo, TruFenix, Lt. Boxy, etc. have literally called every single person a racist with whom you disagree, including a gay black dude from the Netherlands who was flamed for two consecutive pages. I could not care less about your labels at this point.

By the way, I like the following discussion on Real Time with Bill Maher last Friday night. I obviously agree with Coleman Hughes.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Feel I have to mention, for the 150th time, that one can repeat talking points based in racially biased talking points or be ignorant to the origins of those racially biased talking points and not actually discriminate people based on their skin color. Most people aren't openly racist until they can get away with it, like being a police officer or a government official.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
The 1619 Project has been been described as a "displacement of historical understanding by ideology" and offering a "historically-limited view of slavery", according to several historians and scholars
Yeah, the same scholars that called it "a praiseworthy and urgent public service" (the part that you left out). They aren't against the project, or against using it for education -- they simply submitted some corrections that they'd like to see be made first, which is fair.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Any comments on this development?

I like that "At any time, if inmates raises concerns about their health or safety, the law says the state must reassess where they are housed", but I dislike that "The law also requires officers to address transgender inmates based on the pronouns of their choice."
Why do you dislike that part necessarily? Do you think these women should be referred to as he/him and be put in men’s prisons simply for being trans women? 1746617467Your answer is probably “no” because they’re passing as biological women. Even for trans women who are less lucky to pass as biological women due to their height or built should not be called men and go to men’s prisons simply for being unfortunate to pass less as a biological woman. Like these women:17468
It’s quite backwards to think like that, you act like men just say they’re trans and then go to a women’s prison and can abuse those women.

Well honey, lemme tell you that is not how it works. In order for trans women to go to the prison for women they have to prove they got gender dysphoria, and have been getting hormone treatment. They need an actual medical diagnosis from a licensed doctor, they need to have change their gender set to female on their legal documents. There’s a lot trans women need to do before they can go to the prison for women.
It’s not like the non binaries that just claim they’re both or neither gender without any actual diagnosis, proof or any changes on their legal documents.

Regular trans women actually try to live their life as women, they’re not like these kind of people like Alok Vaid-Menon or Jacob Tobia who say they’re trans but don’t try to pass as women at all. You really need to educate yourself on this subject before discussing it. Because right now, you’re unfit to discuss about trans people in my opinion.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah, the same scholars that called it "a praiseworthy and urgent public service" (the part that you left out). They aren't against the project, or against using it for education -- they simply submitted some corrections that they'd like to see be made first, which is fair.
Some submitted minor corrections while some rejected several aspects of the Project such as the depiction of Abraham Lincoln as a white supremacist. Children only ought to be taught the facts without any surreptitious agendas.

You really need to educate yourself on this subject before discussing it. Because right now, you’re unfit to discuss about trans people in my opinion.
You need to educate yourself on my position on this issue before criticizing me. Authorities in prisons should obviously do what is in the transgender person's best interest in terms of safety. Nobody wants to see transgender people being abused in prisons. I am merely concerned about governmental mandates and penalties on the misuse of pronouns because I do not trust radical leftists, who I think would pursue such draconian laws if they could.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Some submitted minor corrections while some rejected several aspects of the Project such as the depiction of Abraham Lincoln as a white supremacist. Children only ought to be taught the facts without any surreptitious agendas.

You need to educate yourself on my position on this issue before criticizing me. Authorities in prisons should obviously do what is in the transgender person's best interest in terms of safety. Nobody wants to see transgender people being abused in prisons. I am merely concerned about governmental mandates and penalties on the misuse of pronouns because I do not trust radical leftists, who I think would pursue such draconian laws if they could.
But isn’t misgendering a trans person harmful towards trans people? I think there should be a law for discriminating trans people through misgendering them, because that can be harmful. I think nobody should go to jail for it, but like a $200 fine for discrimination wouldn’t be that bad. This doesn’t make me a “radical leftist”, but there should be repercussions for people who do that on purpose.

trufenix

bye felicia
I call racists racists. It has nothing to do with wether they agree with me or not. Trust me, you can be as racist as you fucking want in this country. SOMEONE will defend you. My dad was racist. My kids are racist. I try not to be racist, but I certainly don't think its outside the scope of my capability.

But look at Dave here. Racist as fuck, constantly. Doesn't think he is. Says what he wants because he has a "valid opinion". Even if it directly puts blacks and black organizations down. Literally tells us we are the cause of our own problems. And when you disagree with him his only defense is that by whatever metric he choses at the time, we are the bad guys.

Review his character. Has he ever been on our side in a discussion? Has he ever defended us to a white supremacist? Has he ever defended a white supremacist? Has he ever benefitted from white supremacy and looked the other way? Which does he do more. I know the answers because he hasn't yielded his position even an inch in almost 90 pages. He hasn't even considered for a second that all of this opposition might have a valid point. He never does. Does he even acknowledge white supremacy exists? Can he point to it on a map?

He won't answer those questions. He can't. But I bet he can give me a bunch of reasons why the answers don't matter, why his actual actions and opinions aren't relevant, and why I'm a shit head for even asking, why anyone and everyone I support is also a shithead, even though he has no idea who they are.

That's because he's a racist, not because we disagree.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
But isn’t misgendering a trans person harmful towards trans people? I think there should be a law for discriminating trans people through misgendering them, because that can be harmful. I think nobody should go to jail for it, but like a $200 fine for discrimination wouldn’t be that bad. This doesn’t make me a “radical leftist”, but there should be repercussions for people who do that on purpose.
Who decides whether someone mislabeled a transgender person intentionally or inadvertently? How exactly will you know in each case? Which governmental entity will reinforce this rule? The police? A special police force that supervises the public's pronoun usage? You are opening a big can of worms. You are not a radical leftist, but this idea is radical.

If you intend to create a tolerant and accepting society, you can educate people at an early age without limiting their first amendment rights. For this reason, schools run anti-bullying campaigns that include LGBTQ throughout the school year.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Children only ought to be taught the facts without any surreptitious agendas.
You've done an amazing job of demonstrating how not to do that in this thread.

With that said, I think that anything that goes into school curriculum should be subject to rigorous historical review. So again, given that none of the historians suggested not using this in schools, and they've stated that it's an important mission, I think that's fair and a normal process.

trufenix

bye felicia
Calling your own children racist... Y I K E S
See? Did he address my words? Did he address my content? Or did he go right for the validity of my character? For my parenting skills, at that.

Tell me, super parent, by what standard do you comfortably sit that you're sure my child is or isn't racist? Is it because you think children can't be racist or that a real parent would not recognize racism in their child, and simply excuse it? Where do you think racists come from? Do you think they turn racist when they hit 18? Do you think there's a certification course? I DARE you to answer any one of these questions.