What's new

Evidence Leading to the Possibility That NRS is Unlikely to Repatch MK9

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
I guarantee you UMK9 would outsell current fighters.

The MK fanbase is HUGE
casual wise

MK always tends to have low numbers at tournaments.

Whether it be UMK9

or a free balance patch

you can bet that I will most def spend another 2 years on MK until mk10 comes out.

I'm not even going to bother with Injustice tournament wise.
Outsell SF,Tekken,Soul Calibur or Injustice?

Hahahaha.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I agree that UMK9 would sell good.

But the way Injustice is going at the moment (most sold game two months in a row, possibly even more by the end of the year due to the holidays), do you really think it'd be wise for NRS to just crank out UMK9 or a balance patch to detract attention from Injustice?

It just wouldn't be a smart move from a business standpoint. It'd be great for MK9 fans, hell yea, but aside from that it just wouldn't be too benefiting to spend so much on the project of UMK9 or an MK9 patch from now until next year.

I honestly think the biggest and most likely possibly is that they are starting to crank out some blueprints for the game they will be releasing in 2015 which will in my opinion be MK10.
An MK9 balance patch would only be a major concern for tournament players. Casuals don't give a crap. They respond only to resets and x-rays, cause it's fun :)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Of course it won't sell as well as the original game, but it wouldn't cost as much to produce a UMK9 , imo.

Just a balance patch would cost sooooo much work/money at this point for MK9. A full blown remake of UMK9 would take an immense amount of resources and time they could put into something else like the current most selling game of the year, Injustice, or their future titles.

It'd almost be a risk to release UMK9 considering many casuals who bought MK9 wouldn't feel compelled to get a rehashed version unless there is about 4 new characters. And why would they put new characters into a 2 year old game that might not sell well when they could allot there time into putting the same characters in MK10?

It just doesn't boil down to a good decision for them.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
(First of all, just know that this is just a discussion. This isn't being shoved down anyone's throat so don't get defensive and enter the thread with an attitude.)

At EVO this past weekend during early commentary for MK9 Hector and Arturo were commentating some pool matches. This is when Hector slips some information through his body language and the things he says. Judge for yourself:

Conversation starts around 0:14:30 but the slip is from 0:14:52 - 0:15:30

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429512256

Really pay attention to Hector's body language change when he pauses after he says "..lessons learned from MK went into Injustice and now lessons learned from Injustice are going to go into --------- pause ------"

At this point Arturo quickly says "next game", to cover the possibly of the pause becoming awkward and as to not have Hector accidentally blow himself up.

But really pay attention to the shift in mood, the looking down, and the fidgeting after it's all done. Of course they go onto another topic just like regular conversations fluctuate, but if you really break down that segment of the conversation as if it was a trial you could see that the segment speaks a thousand words.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observation and Opinion:

I think that NRS isn't going to spend more money for a final balance patch for MK9. I honestly think from a business standpoint and this conversation that they will go straight into their next game like MK10 after Injustice DLC and patches are solidified. I know Ed hinted at something MK related in the works, but I don't think a balance patch is exactly what he had in his head.

Again, this is just speculation with evidence. That doesn't mean that it's set in stone, it's just an opinion.

What do you all think about this?
he didnt hit at something mk related, he said they he recognizes the need for a patch but cant say anything more about it.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
An MK9 balance patch would only be a major concern for tournament players. Casuals don't give a crap. They respond only to resets and x-rays, cause it's fun :)

Agree.

First of all, money is not needed for a new patch.

Huge no. This a big misconception. It actually takes a large amount of time and money to do patches for every platform. They were actually talking about it at EVO this weekend too, but I'm not as motivated to dig for that conversation. Don't even know who was having the conversation but they went into detail on how tedious and expensive it is.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Agree.

Huge no. This a big misconception. It actually takes a large amount of time and money to do patches for every platform. They were actually talking about it at EVO this weekend too, but I'm not as motivated to dig for that conversation. Don't even know who was having the conversation but they went into detail on how tedious and expensive it is.
Several weeks ago Microsoft announced that they won't charge anything from the devs to patch their games. So did Sony earlier I believe. So only time is the issue.

D7MHellcat

Frozen Earth
I just hope MK10 comes out by next year. If MK10 isn't coming out next year then they might actually consider patching MK9 but who knows
There is no way MK10 comes out next year. They obviously set a 2 year development cycle for their games. I don't think they'd have time to make a brand new game by next year even after they release that last dlc for Injustice and never look its way again. Plus didnt they want to make another Shaolin Monks style game at some point? Not only will next year be one without MK it might be a while before we see the next MK fighting game. Yet people wonder why we want one last rebalance for MK9.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Agree.

Several weeks ago Microsoft announced that they won't charge anything from the devs to patch their games. So did Sony earlier I believe. So only time is the issue.
You both are correct, MS stopped charging for patches.

But it still costs WB money, because they are paying the salaries of the people who are making the patch, and they would rather pay those people to be working on something profitable.

However, there is the whole rumor/w/e about Paulo basically doing the entire patch himself on his off time.

The only people who know enough to really comment on this situation all work at NRS, and they are probably not allowed to discuss stuff like this on a public message board.

Street fighters way of releasing ''new games'' is not nrs way of doing things imo. They have said in the past that they always like to try out new things, a patch after a game is out 3 years is very unlikely. If they really decide to release an mk patch it would really be them doing us a huge favor.

What I am afraid of is that mk10 will be completely different from mk9. Keeping the legacy curve in the game is what will keep its fans loyal and imo the only way to attract more tournament players. imo mk10 will be even bigger than injustice because it will attract both mk9 and injustice players.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
However, there is the whole rumor/w/e about Paulo basically doing the entire patch himself on his off time.

The only people who know enough to really comment on this situation all work at NRS, and they are probably not allowed to discuss stuff like this on a public message board.

What are your opinions on the conversation at EVO I linked in the OP?

there will be no patch for mk9.
if there was going to be a patch it would have already been done.
NRS are fully aware mk9 will not be at evo next year.
so what would be the reason for a patch ?
yes people will say sf4 has lasted so long , but sf4 is huge globally and is the main reason for EVO popularity.
NRS are more concerned on patching injustice before they run out of dlc.
i really dont think they are working on any patch mk9 related.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
What are your opinions on the conversation at EVO I linked in the OP?

I can't watch it right now, I'm on a computer that can't use twitch very well, and I don't know the context of the stuff you quoted.

IMO about the patch, it probably won't happen... but there is still a small chance it could.

For UMK9 though, not happening, not ever.
MK10 is coming out in two years. MK movie is coming out in two years, no way in hell there will not be a game to go with it. Plus the director basically confirmed the games existence anyway, said a brand new character will show up in both the movie and the game.

aj1701

Noob
Developers and testers don't work for free. Everything a business does costs money.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Just a balance patch would cost sooooo much work/money at this point for MK9. A full blown remake of UMK9 would take an immense amount of resources and time they could put into something else like the current most selling game of the year, Injustice, or their future titles.

It'd almost be a risk to release UMK9 considering many casuals who bought MK9 wouldn't feel compelled to get a rehashed version unless there is about 4 new characters. And why would they put new characters into a 2 year old game that might not sell well when they could allot there time into putting the same characters in MK10?

It just doesn't boil down to a good decision for them.
heres my thing tho, if capcom can make an updated re-release of sf4 why can't nrs do the same for mk9?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I stepped on my disc accidentally this morning it was in the case) and it cracked.

So, instead if being a bitch and writing it off as a loss... I went out and bought another copy because MK9 is amazing. Game is hype and I love it

And I know this has nothing to do with the patch.

Inb4coolstorybro

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374100025.104184.jpg

-__- @ this thread and negative comments towards the hope/possibility of MK9 getting final patched/title updated.

Instead of running your mouths about what isn't (or shouldn't be) happening, you SHOULD be shouting at NRS to give us what we want.

Where the fuck is the drive here? Are you really content of just taking the bones and worthless pieces of meat NRS throws at you?

Again, the DIFFERENCE between this community and the Capcom community is that Capcom reacts to what is community/fan diven (or demanded). Money is not the issue! Warner Brothers has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more money than probably both Capcom and Namco combined.

LBSH.

IMO this thread was OVER after Mr.Mileena 's first post. Keep your head up and hope alive man. -__-

redeyes

Button Masher
how many times have you guys tried to get MK9 patched?

wasnt their a donation drive at one point?

MK9 is 2 years old. let it die on a good note.
who knows what broken shit couldcome from the next patch.

just play ...
injustice /marvel /sf/ WoW/GG/CoD/GoW/ etc.
to keep you held over till MK10.
bugging the devs and shit probly gets annoying to them when we cant take a hint.
remember they're people too they get annoyed when you bug them 10000000000 times over the same thing.

redeyes

Button Masher
Money is not the issue! Warner Brothers has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more money than probably both Capcom and Namco combined.
Thing is WB also has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more investments to worry about then patching a 2 year old game that is slowly dying.

Thing is WB also has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more investments to worry about then patching a 2 year old game that is slowly dying.
And Capcom doesn't?

yeah okay. like I said. they have the sources and man power, it's just are they going to do it or not.

and i'm also SICK of people like you telling folks to "just go play something else". fuck you! A LOT OF OTHER FUCKING FIGHTING GAMES ARE FUCKING TRASH...INCLUDING INJUSTICE!

why don't you...JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! and let the ones who want...no...DEMAND...for their MK9 to be patched/updated appropriately...be.

I'm done with this thread and threads like it. if you're NOT talking about the positive aspects of MK9 getting final patched/title updated...I don't even want to hear from you.

REAL TALK!

redeyes

Button Masher
And Capcom doesn't?

yeah okay. like I said. they have the sources and man power, it's just are they going to do it or not.

and i'm also SICK of people like you telling folks to "just go play something else". fuck you! A LOT OF OTHER FUCKING FIGHTING GAMES ARE FUCKING TRASH...INCLUDING INJUSTICE!

why don't you...JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! and let the ones who want...no...DEMAND...for their MK9 to be patched/updated appropriately...be.

I'm done with this thread and threads like it. if you're NOT talking about the positive aspects of MK9 getting final patched/title updated...I don't even want to hear from you.

REAL TALK!

Capcom games are also played world wide pull in 1k+ at evo
MK pulled in 1/4 of that

dude i said play something else till MK10 comes out. i didnt name only FGs, i threw MMO, FPS,3rd person shooters too!

digi i can pull up shit from early this year of u shitting all over MK9 dont come back like ur the god of it.

Where were you when MK needed the real support from the community? oh thats right u were shit talking it to the ground calling it trash.

real talk that douche.