What's new

Evidence Leading to the Possibility That NRS is Unlikely to Repatch MK9

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
(First of all, just know that this is just a discussion. This isn't being shoved down anyone's throat so don't get defensive and enter the thread with an attitude.)

At EVO this past weekend during early commentary for MK9 Hector and Arturo were commentating some pool matches. This is when Hector slips some information through his body language and the things he says. Judge for yourself:

Conversation starts around 0:14:30 but the slip is from 0:14:52 - 0:15:30

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429512256

Really pay attention to Hector's body language change when he pauses after he says "..lessons learned from MK went into Injustice and now lessons learned from Injustice are going to go into --------- pause ------"

At this point Arturo quickly says "next game", to cover the possibly of the pause becoming awkward and as to not have Hector accidentally blow himself up.

But really pay attention to the shift in mood, the looking down, and the fidgeting after it's all done. Of course they go onto another topic just like regular conversations fluctuate, but if you really break down that segment of the conversation as if it was a trial you could see that the segment speaks a thousand words.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observation and Opinion:

I think that NRS isn't going to spend more money for a final balance patch for MK9. I honestly think from a business standpoint and this conversation that they will go straight into their next game like MK10 after Injustice DLC and patches are solidified. I know Ed hinted at something MK related in the works, but I don't think a balance patch is exactly what he had in his head.

Again, this is just speculation with evidence. That doesn't mean that it's set in stone, it's just an opinion.

What do you all think about this?

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
I think 's pretty unlikely that a new patch will come and his body language says the same. I mean what if we hate the patch or they ruin some characters then were stuck with it forever. If they did go out of their way to give us a patch they would probably be the best fighting game company ever.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
MK vs DC 2 wouldn't be too bad. Idlike to keep Harley around.
I wonder who the guest character would be if its MK10.
Jason maybe? I'd never expect a horror movie character to make it into a fighting game lol.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
I don't think so either. I think they're probably well into work on designing MK10. Why now, of all time to do it? Unless they're going to make an UMK9, which I also doubt, I can't see it.

Though I'm not quite sure what Hector's response here says. It's probably more along the lines of MK10 not being announced and he's under NDA, and not allowed to explicit state "lessons learned from Injustice will go into MK10".

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
1000$ bucks there will not be any patch for MK9

it will be very stupid of them to do it from a business standpoint. Why would they divert attention from injustice and The dlc and spend more money just to patch an old game that likely nobody new is gonna buy..it just doesn't make sense

1000$ bucks there will not be any patch for MK9

it will be very stupid of them to do it from a business standpoint. Why would they divert attention from injustice and The dlc and spend more money just to patch an old game that likely nobody new is gonna buy..it just doesn't make sense
I guarantee you UMK9 would outsell current fighters.

The MK fanbase is HUGE
casual wise

MK always tends to have low numbers at tournaments.

Whether it be UMK9

or a free balance patch

you can bet that I will most def spend another 2 years on MK until mk10 comes out.

I'm not even going to bother with Injustice tournament wise.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I think one thing to take into account here, and it by no means anything solid, is the fact that MS isn't charging Devs an exorbitant amount of money for games to be patch and updated on ht e360 anymore. The risk / reward for a game being touched again and has gone down a lot just in the last couple of weeks.

I'm still hopefull.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Sorry, I'm new to the MK/InJ/FGC scene, I don't know who half of the people are. :| Only name I recognize is KDZ because he won EVO, after that... no one... :| Why you gotta hate?
Hector is one of the most public designers and is in 90% of all the press release videos regarding NRS games and goes to some competitive majors to spectate and knows a bit of the players of this community on a personal, professional, and competitive level.

That being said, I'm not hating lol. But it's good you know now so that people don't blow you up for it later

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
If anything, I think he might have let slip that a new game is at least in the planning phase. Well, he made it pretty clear when he called it a "new trilogy."

I would rather MK10 come sooner than later, which would be the case if they don't spend time patching MK9. I'm all for a new MK, in its short life-span IGAU has been ever-changing and extremely divisive in the FGC.

Business 101...NRS is not going to allocate resources to a game we have already purchased vs. allocating them to a game we will purchase in the near future. OP is right, it ain't happening, especially not after this length of time since the last one.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

The MK fanbase is HUGE
casual wise

Whether it be UMK9

or a free balance patch

I agree that UMK9 would sell good.

But the way Injustice is going at the moment (most sold game two months in a row, possibly even more by the end of the year due to the holidays), do you really think it'd be wise for NRS to just crank out UMK9 or a balance patch to detract attention from Injustice?

It just wouldn't be a smart move from a business standpoint. It'd be great for MK9 fans, hell yea, but aside from that it just wouldn't be too benefiting to spend so much on the project of UMK9 or an MK9 patch from now until next year.

I honestly think the biggest and most likely possibly is that they are starting to crank out some blueprints for the game they will be releasing in 2015 which will in my opinion be MK10.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes

The MK fanbase is HUGE
casual wise

Whether it be UMK9

or a free balance patch

you can bet that I will most def spend another 2 years on MK until mk10 comes out.

I'm not even going to bother with Injustice tournament wise.
We are not talking about UMK9 here, we are talking about just a simple patch.

if they were to add 4 new characters stages etc and call it UMK9 and sell it that is different

The MK fanbase is HUGE
casual wise

Whether it be UMK9

or a free balance patch

Doesn't Marvel have a gigantic fanbase as well? UMvC3 didn't sell well at all in comparison to MvC3. I don't really think a UMK9 would appeal to casuals because they would wonder why they are buying the same game again. I think there would be a very high possibility that people would pass it up and it would only be the people that play in tournaments that would buy it.

Doesn't Marvel have a gigantic fanbase as well? UMvC3 didn't sell well at all in comparison to MvC3. I don't really think a UMK9 would appeal to casuals because they would wonder why they are buying the same game again. I think there would be a very high possibility that people would pass it up and it would only be the people that play in tournaments that would buy it.
Of course it won't sell as well as the original game, but it wouldn't cost as much to produce a UMK9 , imo.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
First of all, money is not needed for a new patch. Second - a fix/patch was in progress the spring of 2012. That fix/patch was entirely done by Paulo in his free time of work, but for some reason it got postponed, or maybe canceled altogether. Nonetheless, 2 things are certain: finances is not an issue and some of the developers have the desire to work on the game. Weather they will or not, it's their choice. Only thing the community can do is support the game and show interest in it's development.

As for what Hector said, only thing that is certain it is that NRS is ready for another project which will have aspects of MK9 and Injustice, which leads me to believe it'll be another fighting game. The only problem with MK9 patching would be having the time to do it.