What's new

General/Other - Erron Black Erron Black General Discussion Thread

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Working on figuring out everything Erron can tickthrow from. If the opponent is aware you're trying for it they can just block low, but eh.

So far I've got f12xxdbf2 and 211xxdbf2. On block these both work as tickthrows. Strange thing I found in training was that with Sub Zero set to 'random kombo' blocking, he wont eat the f12 tickthrow, but if set to 'Always' block, he eats it. Really weird. I'll keep looking, it's a great way to earn some free damage and make your opponent a little more scared of blocking.
I noticed this variability too. Need to test it by recording the bot blocking rather than setting them to always block. NRS games tend to have issues with these things sometimes... dunno why.
Also, I know d3 and d4 tick throw, which is awesome because they have great reach and are relatively fast.
D3 is my personal go to because it's fast, hard to react to, has solid range, and the tick throw will work on block OR hit because the hit advantage is sufficiently low.

RizRaz

Errons with combos - always hot.
just how good IS erron black at playing a distance game, because im torn between him and kenshi.
Marksman Erron has a decent ranged game with rifle shot. It's got solid damage and you can out-damage certain characters at their own zoning game. Faster projectile users will mess you up though. You can also play keepaway with backwards shots, though its startup is pretty poor. Erron's not much of a zoner even with Marksman if you ask me - it's just a nice tool to have if you play that variation.

I'm more of a rushdown player and will only space and zone to try to mess with the enemy for a moment and make them think my strategy is changing up before I start back on the aggressive push into the corner, so someone more dedicated to a ranged game might fare better at it than me.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Currently testing out his normals , found out that 12 is actually +2 on block , decent mixup potential with (12)1 overhead , 12 into d1 frametrap or even 12 into b3 low
Not home to test myself, but d1s in this game aren't special cancel able from what I've heard. Is there another move in its place that can be done and then xxinto dbf2, while still being quick enough to take advantage of 12's plus frames?

StevoSuprem0

Not home to test myself, but d1s in this game aren't special cancel able from what I've heard. Is there another move in its place that can be done and then xxinto dbf2, while still being quick enough to take advantage of 12's plus frames?
Nothing that keeps them on the ground will combo in this situation on hit, the throw will simply whiff. D3 (as mentioned above) is great because it has solid range and will tick throw on hit or block because of the low hit advantage on the move. Startup is 10 I believe, so they need something faster than 8 frames and a good read to beat it out.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Marksman Erron has a decent ranged game with rifle shot. It's got solid damage and you can out-damage certain characters at their own zoning game. Faster projectile users will mess you up though. You can also play keepaway with backwards shots, though its startup is pretty poor. Erron's not much of a zoner even with Marksman if you ask me - it's just a nice tool to have if you play that variation.

I'm more of a rushdown player and will only space and zone to try to mess with the enemy for a moment and make them think my strategy is changing up before I start back on the aggressive push into the corner, so someone more dedicated to a ranged game might fare better at it than me.
ah, i see :). so if you dont consider erron a prime zoner then who would be? Kenshi?

StevoSuprem0

@RizRaz I forgot to mention that 11b3 works for tickthrows as well. With db2 being interruptable on block, this is great as a hit-confirmable string too. If the block, go for the tick throw or a gun cancel to back off. If not, confirm into db2 (marks) or db4 (outlaw) for a combo. Really good.

babalook

Noob
has anyone tested if rifle dash run cancels give adv on block? I dont have the game yet so I can't test it myself but im dying to know.

InFlames

dead
F13xxGun Cancel makes F13 safe on block, it's probably around -4 since I can't punish it with 6 frame moves
I swear they secretly nerfed this. I'm trying it right now and the gun startup doesn't even finish when the reversal hits me(I used Mileena's ball roll which is 7 frames). I have footage from yesterday of being able to block in time, and you can notice his gun comes out quicker than it does now. What gives?

Is there any other change in frame data?

EDIT: you can no longer combo off F13xxGun Cancel.

@HeroesNZ
@StevoSuprem0
@RizRaz
@DownfouralitY
@Any other Erron main

Last edited:

RizRaz

God damn it. This might start sealing my choice to stick with Outlaw. I like the rifle and all but the start of killing the gun cancel has kind of turned me off of Marksman a little more. Shame, really. Nice job on checking this though man.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Quan Chi is looking to be a top tier zoner I think. Kitana has decent zoning but her keep away game is meh. Haven't seen much on Kenshi.

K, i'll give both kenshi and quan a try and see how i like em. i don't want to commit to anything just yet, seeing as how the game is plenty new, they're will be plenty of nerfs/buffs to come.

InFlames

dead
has anyone tested if rifle dash run cancels give adv on block? I dont have the game yet so I can't test it myself but im dying to know.
4xxGun Cancel is around +5 on block, that's the only one I know

God damn it. This might start sealing my choice to stick with Outlaw. I like the rifle and all but the start of killing the gun cancel has kind of turned me off of Marksman a little more. Shame, really. Nice job on checking this though man.
F13xxSand Trap is a tick throw now atleast. Meh

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I swear they secretly nerfed this. I'm trying it right now and the gun startup doesn't even finish when the reversal hits me(I used Mileena's ball roll which is 7 frames). I have footage from yesterday of being able to block in time, and you can notice his gun comes out quicker than it does now. What gives?

Is there any other change in frame data?

@HeroesNZ
@StevoSuprem0
@RizRaz
@DownfouralitY
@Any other Erron main
Damn, are you sure? I was using F13 xx Gun Cancel as a starter just now and it was working pretty consistently. Unless there's some kind of hotfix I haven't gotten.

That sucks.

EDIT - Colt said that a Jax change is a side-effect of the Jason compatibility patch going live, and the day 1 hotfix data isn't compatible with it. He also said it'll be back to normal overnight. Hopefully this applies to the gun cancels as well.

Last edited:
Not anything gameplay related, but a small change I noticed is that they changed Erron's player two costume colors from Orange/Green to just Green/His normal shade of red. I like it a lot more, especially the green cape/scarf thing instead of it being bright ass orange.

InFlames

dead
Damn, are you sure? I was using F13 xx Gun Cancel as a starter just now and it was working pretty consistently. Unless there's some kind of hotfix I haven't gotten.

That sucks.

EDIT - Colt said that a Jax change is a side-effect of the Jason compatibility patch going live, and the day 1 hotfix data isn't compatible with it. He also said it'll be back to normal overnight. Hopefully this applies to the gun cancels as well.
I just installed the update. I can combo off F13xxGun Cancel again!

So basically I was playing without the day 1 patch? If so then that's strange since I was able to play online just fine.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Practicing a few things with Erron. f242 is great for pushing to the corner, and seems pretty safe if they block the entire string.

But the most fun I've been having so far is with opening the match. A wonderful offensive starter is f12 and buffering a db motion. If it hits - db4 for outlaw or db2 for marksman and combo from there. If they block, you can use that buffered db motion and input f2 and get yourself a free grab. It's a helluva way to open a match.
Nice, I came into this thread ready to ask about good ways to start a round.

RizRaz

I just installed the update. I can combo off F13xxGun Cancel again!

So basically I was playing without the day 1 patch? If so then that's strange since I was able to play online just fine.
Yeah, seems that way. F13 doesn't tickthrow, F12 still does though.

In other news, pushing for the corner, landing a combo finishing prematurely with F24xxCaltrops and then catching them in the mixup for a quick Tarkatan Infection is absolutely filthy. DoTs forever.

I'm not sure how much Caltrops do per tick given that for some reason the game doesn't show the damage values, but I'm going to assume it's 0.5%. It ticks 15 times OR until it expires - whichever comes first - so if somebody is stuck on caltrops the entire time, that's a solid 7.5% damage added on to whatever combo you push for. The first few ticks of Tarkatan Infection scale depending on the length of your combo and the moves within it, so the damage on that can be a bit iffy.

But for example, if I've pushed the opponent into the corner and then land f13xxdb4, b32u1, njp, f24xxdb1b (close caltrops) I've got 24% + 7.5% for all fifteen caltrop ticks for 31.5%. But of course the opponent isn't going to stand there and eat caltrops forever, which is where the mixup comes in. Provided they were to then assume I was going for a b33 low starter, but I instead go for a f12 overhead I have two options - I can launch after my db4 with a b32u1 and finish with f24xxdf2 for Tarkatan Infection, but the entire time the enemy is in the air AND while they're suspended on the tarkatan blade for a few frames (essentially any time the enemy isn't touching the ground), the caltrops' timer is running out, and I lose out on damage. The alternative is to simply cut out the juggle and continue with f24xxdf2 after db4.

HOWEVER, after testing this it definitely seems like the better option is to just go for the juggle and combo, getting what you can out of the caltrops for the moments where the enemy is stuck on them, rather than relying on the caltrops and tarkatan infection to compensate for not comboing - as seen here:

Note: This is done straight from the corner rather than from a push, just intended to show the total damage you'd get from a standard f13 starting combo ending early in f24 Caltrops, followed by a f12 combo ending in f24xxtarkatan stab AFTER or WITHOUT launching with b32u1. Damage in a real match would obviously be much different - essentially if you'd pushed to the corner and managed to pull this off with no armoured wakeups knocking you back - they'd be dead or on 1%.

You'll still get a few decent ticks out of the Caltrops if you go for a juggle, and I'd say the extra percentages still are definitely worth it.

Sorry for the GIGANTIC post, just wanted to explain all this stuff clearly.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I agree with the above post. I said this before but I'm really not feeling tarkatan stab so far as it nerfs Erron's njp for a few seconds and dbf2 is an all-around better ender.

Caltrops are godlike, however. Not only do they do a pretty hefty chunk of damage even on block, putting them under your opponent in the corner will generally make them nervous and force them to make stupid decisions to try and get themselves off of it

GroovyMango

Bullseye
Anyone else notice frame data changes? 21122 is now -1, EX slide and Low ball regular are -16 now. They were not like that last night...

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Yeah Sand Grenade was nowhere near -5 point blank, and EX Slide never felt safe.

GroovyMango

Bullseye
Alright that's cool then. Hopefully they'll fix the throw frame data next time, because it's definitely not negative on hit