What's new

General/Other - Erron Black Erron Black General Discussion Thread

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Doesn't seem like anyone else was going to do it so I thought I might as well. Feel free to post anything about Erron Black in here.

Can we talk about how good his D3/D4 are? D4 is roughly like +22 on hit only -2 on block and has pretty good range so you can confirm into a run on hit, then do a D3 tick throw or whatever.

D3 has hella cancel advantage, pretty good range and is safe on block. It also tick throws on hit or on block which is really useful.

Also I'm loving Marksman right now.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
How is Gunslinger? I've never tried it but so far I've heard kinda negative things about it.
It just doesn't excel at anything moreso than the other two variations. Marksman seems a bit better for zoning and outlaw is stronger for being up close, with both exceeding gunslinger in damage.

StevoSuprem0

So do you think its worth learning then?
Not until it gets improved. The zoning with the coins is decent and kinda hilarious, but it's lacking in most other categories. A few little setups, but nothing that isn't made up for I'm the other variations. It's a shame.

RizRaz

Errons with combos - always hot.
So far I've found Marksman to be the most effective out of all three variations. Outlaw is great for laying on DoTs especially if you push for corner caltrop setups, but 31% meterless with Marksman on a low starter is pretty nifty. Still trying to get used to run-cancelling the rifle shots in combos - though trying that online might not be viable, just gotta find out.

It's a real shame that Gunslinger doesn't have anything that sets it apart from the other two variations. Any combo I've managed to fit a coinshot or EX coinshot in has had pretty lackluster damage, going fullscreen with Stance 4 gunshots is a cool looking move, but then once you're there you don't have the rifle like Marksman does for a little keepaway, you can only do another Stance 4 to hit from there, or a 32 string for a gunshot that takes too long to get out.

Meanwhile, Marksman gets a free launcher and decent zoning tools with a holdable and dash-cancellable rifle to create some threat, wonderful corner combo potential, and its launcher is barely negative and pushes back, meaning that provided you don't get predictable - you're safe on block. Only thing I've found is that you can be interrupted at the start of the db2 if your opponent is expecting it.

Outlaw gets a wonderful DoT, extra damage inside certain combos with a neutral jump punch, extra normals and compensates for having slightly less damage than Marksman by being able to go for tarkatan infection and caltrop setups.

Gunslinger slings less gun than Marksman, and doesn't gain enough variety to make up for Outlaw's lack of projectile game. Seems like there's no point to play it, which is a shame. That hat is pretty slick.

StevoSuprem0

I really hate than the rifle swing is interruptable. At high level, you're going to NEED to hit confirm into it, which is really hard to do with him mixup strings, all of which are pretty fast 2 hit moves.

HaZed

Noob
I have the hardest time when I am getting pressured, what are ya'lls moves to get out of a corner or after succesfully blocking a string, i know MB slide is his best wake up option, but any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Gunslingers application is extremely niche. For example, there will be occasions during matches where you can go into Stand Off Stance and force the opponent to stop and think: "is he going high mid or low?" immediately giving you control of the neutral game.

This is particularly effective with non tele port/attack characters.

Also, the fact that it gives EB a 3 -way guessing game should not be discarded - that's a strong tool no matter how you slice it, especially when one of those guesses is a multi hitting low that hits full screen. But overall it is definitely the nichest of his variations.

By comparison, Outlaw and Marksman have a lot more obvious and practical applications; so if you are getting good results with either of these two, I'd advise to sticking with them.

RizRaz

Practicing a few things with Erron. f242 is great for pushing to the corner, and seems pretty safe if they block the entire string.

But the most fun I've been having so far is with opening the match. A wonderful offensive starter is f12 and buffering a db motion. If it hits - db4 for outlaw or db2 for marksman and combo from there. If they block, you can use that buffered db motion and input f2 and get yourself a free grab. It's a helluva way to open a match.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
^^ good thinking Riz!

On another note how do I get the meter burned sand tackle to come out? Where he fires a shot on the opponent after the tackle. What's the timing on it?

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
^^ good thinking Riz!

On another note how do I get the meter burned sand tackle to come out? Where he fires a shot on the opponent after the tackle. What's the timing on it?
You have to wait until he finishes shooting his guns in their faces then spins away. It's good because you can see whether or not the tackle killed them before you MB it.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Really loving outlaw over marksman and gunslinger so far, but I think marksman has potential

-21122 is an amazing string. It can punish things from a far range like D'Vorah's trident rush, it does 4% chip and is neutral on block, can be tick-thrown into command grab (dbf2) or confirmed into sand toss (outlaw db4). If they read the command grab and you decide to do slide or sand toss instead, it will hit them :)
-f12 has very good range but it's a little slow. Can be hit-confirmed into sand toss, on block I do f122 to make it safe (-6). From what I've tested so far, works as a tick throw but not against the whole cast? Weirdly some characters the command grab just seems to whiff on...maybe someone else knows something about this
-I do NOT like tarkatan stab (outlaw df2) as it takes away his godlike njp for a few seconds and dbf2 is just as good an ender
-Not loving 112, on block it puts you in a bad place and 11b3~sand toss is a better option to punish with standing 1.
-My unprofessional opinion at this point is that marksman db2 is a bill. I know it's safe but when the meta pans out, using that move to end a blockstring is gonna get you blown the fuck up. Opponents have more than enough time to react and interrupt

What are people using to anti-air? Uppercut is the only thing that's really working for me and even that gets stuffed sometimes. I like backing up and doing command grab as they land but that has the potential to get me blown up. Sometimes when I njp on reaction I still lose but right now I think that's his best answer

Also it's awesome that he's voiced by Troy Baker. I feel like I'm maining Joel from The Last of Us

Last edited:

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I'm still learning all the angles and hit boxes for AA purposes

Db4 in marksman and gunslinger
B2 in all variations
D1
D2

I've had varying degrees of success with those 3 in particular but nothing where I can do it on reaction for example. Something for the lab!

RizRaz

Also it's awesome that he's voiced by Troy Baker. I feel like I'm maining Joel from The Last of Us
Dude I had no idea. I probably would've noticed if I heard Erron unmasked. It's a shame that Erron seems less popular than I'd hoped - we probably wont be seeing a duster kostume for him in the future ;_;7

Anti-air wise, I've been going mostly for b2 or uppercut. b211 for outlaw seems to whiff a lot if you connect the b2 on an aerial opponent though, so I wouldn't advise it.

StevoSuprem0

I haven't tested it, but in Marksman you should be able to use b2 as an anti air and cancel it into a rifle shot dash cancel and punish with a pretty solid juggle follow-up. Someone test that? I can't right now. Worst case scenario you should be able to run into b33 xx dbf3 if it's fast enough.

Crathen

Death is my business
Currently testing out his normals , found out that 12 is actually +2 on block , decent mixup potential with (12)1 overhead , 12 into d1 frametrap or even 12 into b3 low

StevoSuprem0

Currently testing out his normals , found out that 12 is actually +2 on block , decent mixup potential with (12)1 overhead , 12 into d1 frametrap or even 12 into b3 low
Hmmm. Sweet. That's good to know when you have people on top of caltrops and wanna stall with block strings to keep them there. I was doing the same last night, but forgot to write stuff down. I believe standing 4 is neutral on block and spaces you for a d3 poke, which you can tick throw off of on hit or block. 11b3 is also a good option for tick throws if you're closer, and can be hit confirmed into db2 (marks) pretty easily for a launch. I just need to work on hit confirming consistently; my reactions are balls.

RizRaz

Working on figuring out everything Erron can tickthrow from. If the opponent is aware you're trying for it they can just block low, but eh.

So far I've got f12xxdbf2 and 211xxdbf2. On block these both work as tickthrows. Strange thing I found in training was that with Sub Zero set to 'random kombo' blocking, he wont eat the f12 tickthrow, but if set to 'Always' block, he eats it. Really weird. I'll keep looking, it's a great way to earn some free damage and make your opponent a little more scared of blocking.