What's new

Enter the Bane: General Discussion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What characters do you guys think Bane actually beats? Im trying to find motivation or a legitimate reason to put effort into him alongside Sub-Zero and Aquaman, because right now iv only been sorta messing with him just because it's very fun and satisfying to use Bane. And it doesn't really apply to me how bad he gets creamed by Batman or Superman because Aquaman does good against Batman and Sub-Zero does good against Superman, so Bane getting shit on doesn't really mean much to me.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
What characters do you guys think Bane actually beats? Im trying to find motivation or a legitimate reason to put effort into him alongside Sub-Zero and Aquaman, because right now iv only been sorta messing with him just because it's very fun and satisfying to use Bane. And it doesn't really apply to me how bad he gets creamed by Batman or Superman because Aquaman does good against Batman and Sub-Zero does good against Superman, so Bane getting shit on doesn't really mean much to me.
Green Lantern? He beats B1 and GL's zoning doesn't really mean anything to Bane. Raiden?

Yeah nah doesn't feel good.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
you should play him for nothing more than goofs and laughs, but even those can be taken away and replaced by salt thanks to horrible matchups.

Cursa

Against characters who don't beat him he's pretty good to play if you know the matchup, but his counter picks are pretty popular or top tier characters. Batman, Superman, Supergirl are all favourites in many a ranked set. I don't see a whole lot of Black Adam in ranked myself (I'm in Aus) but pretty top character who beats Bane convincingly.

Cursa

Also is Red Hood's 323 string a block infinite against Bane? +2 on block and startup is 10 frames, so comes down to 8, unless Bane gets a perfect frame S1

Cursa

if you're in debuff though..
i don't get why debuff nukes his dash and jump, as if his jumpins were that good, other rushdown characters have half screen jumpin normals or FULL screen jumpins.
Bane's jumps ins are deceptively good. JID3 and JI2 are both pretty great jump ins in terms of oki and difficulty to anti-air, especially after a knockdown. It's not Batman J2 good, but I'd put it up there with someone like Flash's jump ins in terms of being pretty difficult to anti-air and very very risky to anti air. Bane can turn a jump in into about 70% damage if he commits the bar and venom, or about 50% unclashable.

But in debuff you're probably getting anti-aired for sure, you might get away with it in level 1 debuff but level 2 or 3 are pretty free in terms of anti-airs unless you do it off a knockdown.

Cursa

I take it back, Batman and Superman both 7-3 minimum. Just played as Supes vs a Bane and literally wasn't even trying, just spammed backdash at all times and popped trait whenever I heard venom coming up. Not even mentioning the zoning game and that lasers break armour when MB'd, great jump ins and F2 to contest Bane's lack of neutral, ridiculous damage on a debuff Bane and breath jails into D1 unless Bane uses armour.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Is there a way to actually use the plus frames Bane gets off 112d and 113 on block? They aren’t real plus frames vs most characters

Cursa

his only somewhat viable + move is that stupid push. I like doing push, s2 bounce cancel.
F1? I use that for knockdown setups after F3. But you are right, it is like +7 or something and probably works well if you've conditioned your opponent to respect your other options.

Last edited:

Cursa

So apparently we are going to get reduced recovery on elbow... And that's about it?
I thought it was a little weird but they are right in that you at least have to know your punishes now. Elbow low profiles a good amount of mids while recovering.

But yeah I see your point. I am just way too hype for all the CW and SG nerfs to care.

I think he might have some bette rmatchups now. I think Supergirl might e bit of a better matchup with a 9 frame D1 makes it way easier to challenge SG's mashing D1out of frost breath. B2 into D1 or 1+3 feels way easier to fuzzy now as well.

GL buffs don't feel like anything happened to that matchup still. I can't fully remember what they were off the top of my head, but I remember combo scaling changes and the exploding lantern is now plus but has gaps when cancelled into some strings I think? (From my 30 seconds of testing it feels like all strings)

Grodd, cool changes. Can still occasionally armour through plus frames I think if 11 doesn't armour break you.

Slack to test Catwoman but I don't see why it wouldn't be a slightly better matchup now even though her backdash is still an answer to nearly everything Bane does.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Actually, our buffs are far more substantial than what was indicated in the stream. Elbow is now -16 on block and has better whiff recovery, but we low profile during the majority of its revovery so punishes will have to be specific.

More importantly, elbow is now +14 on hit, up from +4 from allowing us to get some actual guaranteed oki if we use it as a combo ender. Remember that elbow is also an hkd.

F1 is now 16 frames of startup, down from 19, and on hit it knocks down and splats for a whopping 37 hit advantage. It's 16 startup frames mean that we can jail into f1 out of d1 on hit. It's still +7 on block but appears to leave us in a more favorable range for followups, particularly in the corner.

When all is said and done, our counterpoke game still sucks, but these buffs are actually fairly significant.

Cursa

In other news, I am struggling with Dr Fate. I find DB2 for Fate to be a really braindead move and it feels difficult to stop him from doing something like F2xxDB2 into a D1 just because of how far back it pushes him. Not to mention getting past MB orb feels impossible because if Fate puts it right next to him he anti-airs you for free if you even manage to jump over the orb, plus you can't raging charge through any zoning at all if orb is up since it takes a hit of armour.

Cursa

Actually, our buffs are far more substantial than what was indicated in the stream. Elbow is now -16 on block and has better whiff recovery, but we low profile during the majority of its revovery so punishes will have to be specific.

More importantly, elbow is now +14 on hit, up from +4 from allowing us to get some actual guaranteed oki if we use it as a combo ender. Remember that elbow is also an hkd.

F1 is now 16 frames of startup, down from 19, and on hit it knocks down and splats for a whopping 37 hit advantage. It's 16 startup frames mean that we can jail into f1 out of d1 on hit. It's still +7 on block but appears to leave us in a more favorable range for followups, particularly in the corner.

When all is said and done, our counterpoke game still sucks, but these buffs are actually fairly significant.
Also remembering that since it is also harder to punish, if the opponent fails to punish Bane can do an armour reversal since everyone tries to press buttons even if their punish whiffs.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
In other news, I am struggling with Dr Fate. I find DB2 for Fate to be a really braindead move and it feels difficult to stop him from doing something like F2xxDB2 into a D1 just because of how far back it pushes him. Not to mention getting past MB orb feels impossible because if Fate puts it right next to him he anti-airs you for free if you even manage to jump over the orb, plus you can't raging charge through any zoning at all if orb is up since it takes a hit of armour.
Believe it or not even Superman has the same problem with f2xxdb2, so you know that Bane is fucked.

His meterburn orb ignoring projectile invulnerabilty is a problem. As far as I can see, the optimal way to play the Fate MU as Bane is to trait level 3, get your mix and damage in, let Fate chip you out with mid projectiles for what feels like a whole minute while you are in debuff, then go back into trait level 3 again, and rinse repeat...

It can be surprisingly effective, but it is still a problematic MU.

Not nearly as problematic as Blue Beetle or Wonder Woman, however. I think that those two are Bane's only current 3-7's, pre-patch at least.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
can't you do venom BB to catch Glyph?

Does f2 xx Glyph leave a gap? if it does then he can't throw that out if you have Venom.