What's new

Enter the Bane: General Discussion

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
it would scale heavily and lead into no more than a 123 grab, 250 max damage by itself. it'd be more fair than a direct damage buff because you'd be able to clash or air escape.
for ref, it does about 150 as of now. instead of 200 unclashable, it'd do 250 clashable. it really doesn't seem that outrageous if you ask me.
Is also unsafe as shit.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I feel like Bane is so fun because moreso than any other character, you actually feel like Bane when you use him. The way you have to manage your venom and make reads, and how intense his animations are, playing Bane is more immersive than other characters I feel like, maybe it’s just me though.

Cursa

I feel like Bane is so fun because moreso than any other character, you actually feel like Bane when you use him. The way you have to manage your venom and make reads, and how intense his animations are, playing Bane is more immersive than other characters I feel like, maybe it’s just me though.
Landing 70% combos is also fun

until you pay the consequences

Cursa

20 frame startup.
-29 on block
62 on recovery
Regular does 93 on Supes. MB does 155 (62 extra)
If you land a MB one at the start of Level 3 venom, you're halfway through the timer by the end of it.

Making it combo doesn't seem so major.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
BF2 launching would be too much, it would let him do too much, its not just raw BF2 launchung, it also gives him a mb combo extender that he can confirm into off lots of safe stuff.

BF2 buff should just be making the normal and mb +20 on hit so Bane can sacrifice damage for advantage

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Literally the S2 buff is all he needs, I haven’t played Bane a long time but I’m sick of doing a string (doesn’t matter which string, his plus 2 isn’t real plus frames for Bane) and my turn is automatically over unless I do an armored move that isn’t worth nearly what I’ll be getting punished for.

Cursa

I think S2 buff would be a start. Even 8 frame S2 means that he can trade with 6 frame move at +2. And that's best case scenario - I thought 8 frames would be lucky.

Cursa

10F isn't enough for me. Some characters have like D1 infinite against him unless he either commits to armour or just has to eat it in debuff. What do you do as Bane against traited superman spamming D1? 6 frames and -3 on block

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
10F isn't enough for me. Some characters have like D1 infinite against him unless he either commits to armour or just has to eat it in debuff. What do you do as Bane against traited superman spamming D1? 6 frames and -3 on block
You can always backdash.

It's why I don't think buffing his 112d2 and 113 to +4 on block in addition to the faster mid is too much to ask. You can backdash out of far more negative situations in this game and get away with it.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
You can always backdash.

It's why I don't think buffing his 112d2 and 113 to +4 on block in addition to the faster mid is too much to ask. You can backdash out of far more negative situations in this game and get away with it.
Not in debuff lol, get clipped

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Not in debuff lol, get clipped
Well, yeah, but nothing goes your way while you are in debuff. It's basically designed to fuck up every single aspect of Bane's game. The debuff penalty to his dash is just stacking overkill on top of overkill, ffs.

Do you guys use 113 or 112d/112d2 more? And why?
Midscreen definitely 112d2, due due 112d ticking and 112d2 catching people trying to jump out of it. I'm pretty sure they can just take advantage of the autoblock option select and mash backdash for no risk, but people like to jump tick throws.

113 in the corner because it launches and we get some pretty nasty meterless damage off of it. 113, b23, 123xxdb1. You can cancel the 123 into db2mb if you want to stack on a little extra damage for a bar.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Do you guys use 113 or 112d/112d2 more? And why?
If you can make them block a 11 midscreen usually 112D is better because it gives you more options such as the tick, 112D2 > D1xxring toss conversion, or confirm into 112D3 for hkd corner carry. 113 is much easier to confirm into special or mb b3 cancel though. 112 also very good against characters like Superman when trying to challenge F23, F23 or breath into F23 pressure on block because if Supes does not go for another F2 and backdashes etc then you can "confirm" that the 11 whiffed and dash cancel the 2 rather than whiff the whole 113 string and get punished. This is just a general thing if theres a chance the 11 will whiff. If they are backdashing the gap in 11(3) mid screen you can also start to mix in 112 dash cancels ti chase them down.

In the corner 113 is better because you can confirm on hit into big meterless damage with 113, b23, 123xxVenom uppercut. 112D2 also really good in the corner tho cus 112d3 lets you do whatever set up you want after and if the get clipped by 112d2 jumping the tick then its a full combo conversion.

Cursa

Also being cornered is a thing where back dashes become slightly less effective.

Cursa

Even just being unable to poke out of D1's is annoying as shit. You can condition Bane with D1's and if he starts to back dash or armoured reversal you can just sit there and block or go for a forward dash into full combo.

This means that Bane can also poke out on a good read but if he tries to poke out and you just mash D1 there's a chance he can get combo'd, especially against people who have D12's like Robin, Wowo, Flash etc.

And he like MIGHT get a tick grab off or something if he gets a good read and the opponent decides to block expecting an armoured reversal.

I just hate his risk reward factor. It's just far far too much out of his favour to the point of actually being kind of unfun to play, since the opponent can kind of do whatever and you have to make HUGE risky reads on armoured reversals or gaps in order to even get your pressure started.

And even then, once your pressure is started if you make a bad read on a tick throw or something it gets whiff punished into way more damage than you probably would've done with said grab into you being knockdowned, in debuff because it would be a pretty risky play to boost venom while getting combo'd.

Maybe I'm just accepting that I'm trash at this character because he literally can't poke out of +4 unless he uses an armoured special or goes for his S1 which is a high and can be ducked considering a common strategy that I myself use against Bane is just to mash D1 out of any string since he can't contest it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
10f will be adequate imo
A reminder that even when you're +2 (which you only get for free against conditioned opponent, which in turn requires you to do some unsafe reads most of the time, for the record), 10 f mid will still lose to 7f poke, which kinda kills the entire point of suggested d2 buff.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
The superman matchup... man
is it 3-7 or 2-8? I'm honestly really inclined to call it 2-8, Bane is pretty much SOL in every scenario. Can't even oki because the fucker's backdash avoids everything and he has 2 grab immune wakeups.

Cursa

The superman matchup... man
is it 3-7 or 2-8? I'm honestly really inclined to call it 2-8, Bane is pretty much SOL in every scenario. Can't even oki because the fucker's backdash avoids everything and he has 2 grab immune wakeups.
Not sure really. Mostly agreed to be 4-6 but probably could be a 3-7. My only issue with making it 3-7 is if Superman is 3-7 what is Batman? Batman is a fucking atrocious matchup, you might as well put the controller down because you get fucked at every point on the screen and Bats literally kill Bane.

But yes you are correct. Everyone already knew it was losing due to how their traits obviously interact with each other, but like you mentioned, good backdashes and grab immune wakeups are good tools against Bane's oki, and F23 Breath pressure is difficult to deal with as Bane, particularly if trait is out. You got to make a close to frame perfect read with S1 if you expect him to F2 again (comes out at 9 frames). In which case he could just D1 into more pressure, since breath jails into D1 against Bane.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Not sure really. Mostly agreed to be 4-6 but probably could be a 3-7. My only issue with making it 3-7 is if Superman is 3-7 what is Batman? Batman is a fucking atrocious matchup, you might as well put the controller down because you get fucked at every point on the screen and Bats literally kill Bane
There's no fucking way Bane-SM is only 4-6, in the corner with his trait out you can literally get block infinited by his d1, f23 into f23 is an actual thing and f23 breath is really hard to manage trait or no traits involved.
Then there's the fact that Bane pretty much gets no fucking oki, SM's backdash just checks so many damn options and you can't bane bomb into bane bomb AT ALL.
then there's the zoning.. the air mobility.. can't use raging charge.. damage he does while you're debuffed.. yeah.

I haven't played the BM matchup a lot but I don't think it's as bad.

Cursa

There's no fucking way Bane-SM is only 4-6, in the corner with his trait out you can literally get block infinited by his d1, f23 into f23 is an actual thing and f23 breath is really hard to manage trait or no traits involved.
Then there's the fact that Bane pretty much gets no fucking oki, SM's backdash just checks so many damn options and you can't bane bomb into bane bomb AT ALL.
then there's the zoning.. the air mobility.. can't use raging charge.. damage he does while you're debuffed.. yeah.

I haven't played the BM matchup a lot but I don't think it's as bad.
Bats break armour for free like 95% of the time. MB Beatarang breaks armour. B11 breaks armour pretty well. Batman gets way more pressure against Bane than he does against anyone else. Bane gets zoned for free for most of the match so long as the Batman player doesn't just watches out for MB roll which is Bane's only really option. Batman has very few gaps which can be armoured.

The big parts are the zoning and the pressure. I don't mind how well Batman breaks armour, that's an inconvenience. Oh and slide often causes grabs to whiff. It can be timed to not do so on wakeup but then he can go for other stuff like MB Beatarang (which breaks armour and gives Bats a full combo into restand cause he'll have the bar for it).

Batmans backdash is also up there with some others for being difficult for Bane to deal with, not the worst but definitely not easy to deal with. Making reads with armour becomes even riskier aside from the whole armour breaking because Bats can just backdash and go back to zoning and wait for mechanical bats and then just do it all over again.

I'm sticking with it being 3-7 but I think Superman would be around there, I haven't fought any Superman players who know how to deal with Bane properly (because let's be honest, you don't have to lab the MU as Supes, it's pretty free as is). But I've picked up Supes recently and you just see it all come together. Trait breaking armour is like the nicest part of the matchup