What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Iv also been having the problem of not wanting to branch out from bloodhound fang any time I do a new character. I’m always thinking “it’s RIGHT there and it’s so good” and just end up going back to my comfort zone

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Iv also been having the problem of not wanting to branch out from bloodhound fang any time I do a new character. I’m always thinking “it’s RIGHT there and it’s so good” and just end up going back to my comfort zone
It’s a pretty good PvE weapon. I used it a bunch on my 1st playthrough. Then I used it with the Dismounter, since they’re both great curveswords, it allowed me to powerstance them which made them pretty strong in PvE. Only issue is how slow great curveswords are, which, they’re not the slowest weapon class or anything, I think their speed is balanced with their dmg output. It’s just that vs some bosses, it was just too slow so I ended up mainly just doing jumping L1’s. Which does great damage, but got boring after awhile.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It’s a pretty good PvE weapon. I used it a bunch on my 1st playthrough. Then I used it with the Dismounter, since they’re both great curveswords, it allowed me to powerstance them which made them pretty strong in PvE. Only issue is how slow great curveswords are, which, they’re not the slowest weapon class or anything, I think their speed is balanced with their dmg output. It’s just that vs some bosses, it was just too slow so I ended up mainly just doing jumping L1’s. Which does great damage, but got boring after awhile.
They’re slow but the weapon art on BHF is what makes it so fun to use for me. Definitely gonna try out a different weapon next time. How is bastards stars? Only care about PvE.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I mainly PvP, it’s what keeps me playing these games long after their release. Definitely looking forward to the DLC, cannot wait.

Anyway, been trying out a bunch of different builds for the Colosseum duels. I eventually found the fist weapon class weapon the “Katar”, which has been super fun and actually pretty good. But as I said, been trying a bunch of different builds out, some meta but most off meta. Anyway, started trying out regular curved swords (not great curved swords, the smaller ones) and found out that both the Mantis Blade and the Beastman’s Curved Sword both have their own unique true combos. The Mantis Blade’s charged R2 true combos into R1, and the Beastman’s Curved Sword’s jumping R2 true combos into R1. And since both are curved swords, I can powerstance them as well. They have good synergy and ontop of all that, both also can get custom Ashes of War. Now these definitely aren’t meta weapons and this isn’t a meta build, but it has been super fun do far. Made a short video showcasing them. But this was after very little play time with them, so just keep that in mind! Anyway, check out the video and if you could, please subscribe! It will help out tremendously!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Malekith and Godskin Duo are such awful stupid fights. Malekith is pretty fun as beast clergyman though, but the run back gets tedious.
Morgot/Margit, Godfrey, and Godrick make up for it though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The paid, PvE DLC, “Shadow of the Erdtree” for Elden Ring has finally been announced. However, the announcement was just stating that it’s “in development” and of course announcing the title of the DLC. Also included a picture, but it doesn’t seem to be an “in game” picture, almost looks like concept art. Anyway, here’s the Tweet

So, I’m assuming we won’t be seeing this DLC released anytime soon. Imo the earliest we can expect it is late fall of this year, but probably more likely will be early next year. Which is a bummer but it is what it is

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Looking forward to more ashes of war and spells etc.
Can we please have the Bone Fist back? PLEASE?
The closest to the moveset is actually the Caestus in this game. Which since the last patch that buffed all fist weapons, Caestus are actually super good and possibly even OP now.

But yeah, Bone Fist was an amazing weapon. Good moveset and that DBZ projectile move it had. Such a badass weapon.

As far as weapons & armor and all that, I’m honestly expecting at least 20 or so new weapons (aside from the regular melee weapons this of course also includes shields, bows, staffs, seals, etc), about a dozen new armor sets, about 10 or so new spells & incants, around 13 new Ashes of War, about 6 new Talismans, and also some new items like consumables and what not. It really depends on if they’re planning multiple DLC’s or not like Dark Souls 3 got for instance. If this is the only DLC we get, there may be even more than what I’m expecting. And yes, I do have high expectations. Because FromSoft’s DLC has always been fan-fckn-tastic!

Regardless, I just hope it’s released before the end of the year. And early 2024 at the absolute latest.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Yeah I started playing more again once the DLC was announced.

What do you mean about the “Soul System”?
Runes/Souls. Sekiro's Sen was less of an issue but still problematic.

Compelling mechanics in the environments to make you not want to die but often becomes a nuisance when bosses come around. Consider this an elegy to all my lost experience points

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Only thing I dislike about the souls system is that you have to stop leveling at around level 125, otherwise you will have a hard time finding pvp players - and when you do try to invade above that level, its two-three players just camping in ambush spots so they can one shot you with coordinated attacks.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Love this game still, very excited for the DLC.

Has the high points and low points (low aside from DS2) of the series for me. Sekrio is still my favorite.

Playing through Demons' Souls before going into Elden Ring again gave me an appreciation for the "gimmick" bosses. Like in Boletaria 1, theres fire bombs everywhere, which intuitively tells you that you need them for the boss. I don't like the dorks that put 1 million hours into these games acting like Demons' Souls is some stupidly easy game in comparision, it's about overcoming a level rather than busting your balls against a boss. In Sekiro, the combat is so good that if you understand it you can beat many bosses first try. Genichiro killed me like 25 times but Isshin and Owl the Father, despite being much harder killed me less than 10 because I got it by them.

In Elden Ring I feel neither rewarded for paying attention to the environment or that my skills in overcoming one boss carries over for the next (in most cases). Fighting Morgott didn't prepare me for Malekith in any meaningful way, in both cases I was running it back till I memorized their shit.

But that seems lack of cohesiveness is unavoidable because of all the incredible variety and exploration this game offers, which is what it does better than maybe any game I've played.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Love this game still, very excited for the DLC.

Has the high points and low points (low aside from DS2) of the series for me. Sekrio is still my favorite.

Playing through Demons' Souls before going into Elden Ring again gave me an appreciation for the "gimmick" bosses. Like in Boletaria 1, theres fire bombs everywhere, which intuitively tells you that you need them for the boss. I don't like the dorks that put 1 million hours into these games acting like Demons' Souls is some stupidly easy game in comparision, it's about overcoming a level rather than busting your balls against a boss. In Sekiro, the combat is so good that if you understand it you can beat many bosses first try. Genichiro killed me like 25 times but Isshin and Owl the Father, despite being much harder killed me less than 10 because I got it by them.

In Elden Ring I feel neither rewarded for paying attention to the environment or that my skills in overcoming one boss carries over for the next (in most cases). Fighting Morgott didn't prepare me for Malekith in any meaningful way, in both cases I was running it back till I memorized their shit.

But that seems lack of cohesiveness is unavoidable because of all the incredible variety and exploration this game offers, which is what it does better than maybe any game I've played.
No doubt about that. The enviromental cohesion between enemies/bosses/items is unsurpassed in Demon's Souls. In the Dirty Colossus fight, you can set yourself on fire by stepping into the torches scattered around the arena as a way to get rid of the flies. There are other bosses with those neat little mechanics which were amazing.

Personally I just hated back then (before the remake) how inconvenient the game as a whole was. And I'm not talking about "oh you die twice and lose all your souls". It's just the menus are all over the place, literally THE worst UI I have ever seen. Then there's the upgrade system with tens of different materials, upgrade paths, and the fact that you need to find a specific NPC and choose the specific dialogue option after defeating a specific boss JUST so you can upgrade a boss soul weapon - with the specific colorless demon souls that drop from specific enemies under specific world tendencies. And none of this is said or hinted at ANYWHERE. Like, get the fuck out with that. I am all for rewarding exploration and initiative from the player and not guiding them by hand, but Demon's Souls was almost purposefully obtuse in that regard. This was a trend that continued in Dark Souls 1 and 2, eventually getting more friendlier/easier to understand systems in Bloodborne and DS3.

And while I also love Sekiro and its combat, it is paradoxally the only fromsoft game I feel doesnt let you beat bosses by your skill alone, but rather you have to know some specific things about their weaknesses and fit your playstyle to the boss fight instead. In dark/demon's souls you can beat bosses as a mage, cleric, spear wielding tank or fast nimble swordsman. In Sekiro, I remember dying an absurd amount of times to the Guardian Ape, and then seeing in a youtube video I had to use the upgraded spear prosthesis contraption thing to pull the centipede out of the ape's neck and stun him, while also having to drop fireworks into a specific sequence and then only slash in specific moments. There was simply no way, no matter how excellent my dodging and parrying was, that I could beat it with only using the sword, instead of exploiting the fireworks/slash/spear thing sequence flowchart.

I also remember trying to beat the secret demon fire boss and dying so many times I started to count how many hits I had to land to empty one of his lifebars. Fifty. You needed FIFTY sword slashes for each of the 3 phases to kill him, all the while you were 3-shotted if not healing, the demon is flying everywhere and exploding everything and stunlocking you, even if you had the fullest upgrade healtbar/defense/sword attack. I genuinely never felt a boss was so unfun in any other fromsoft game.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
No doubt about that. The enviromental cohesion between enemies/bosses/items is unsurpassed in Demon's Souls. In the Dirty Colossus fight, you can set yourself on fire by stepping into the torches scattered around the arena as a way to get rid of the flies. There are other bosses with those neat little mechanics which were amazing.

Personally I just hated back then (before the remake) how inconvenient the game as a whole was. And I'm not talking about "oh you die twice and lose all your souls". It's just the menus are all over the place, literally THE worst UI I have ever seen. Then there's the upgrade system with tens of different materials, upgrade paths, and the fact that you need to find a specific NPC and choose the specific dialogue option after defeating a specific boss JUST so you can upgrade a boss soul weapon - with the specific colorless demon souls that drop from specific enemies under specific world tendencies. And none of this is said or hinted at ANYWHERE. Like, get the fuck out with that. I am all for rewarding exploration and initiative from the player and not guiding them by hand, but Demon's Souls was almost purposefully obtuse in that regard. This was a trend that continued in Dark Souls 1 and 2, eventually getting more friendlier/easier to understand systems in Bloodborne and DS3.

And while I also love Sekiro and its combat, it is paradoxally the only fromsoft game I feel doesnt let you beat bosses by your skill alone, but rather you have to know some specific things about their weaknesses and fit your playstyle to the boss fight instead. In dark/demon's souls you can beat bosses as a mage, cleric, spear wielding tank or fast nimble swordsman. In Sekiro, I remember dying an absurd amount of times to the Guardian Ape, and then seeing in a youtube video I had to use the upgraded spear prosthesis contraption thing to pull the centipede out of the ape's neck and stun him, while also having to drop fireworks into a specific sequence and then only slash in specific moments. There was simply no way, no matter how excellent my dodging and parrying was, that I could beat it with only using the sword, instead of exploiting the fireworks/slash/spear thing sequence flowchart.

I also remember trying to beat the secret demon fire boss and dying so many times I started to count how many hits I had to land to empty one of his lifebars. Fifty. You needed FIFTY sword slashes for each of the 3 phases to kill him, all the while you were 3-shotted if not healing, the demon is flying everywhere and exploding everything and stunlocking you, even if you had the fullest upgrade healtbar/defense/sword attack. I genuinely never felt a boss was so unfun in any other fromsoft game.
Agreed on fuck the demon of hatred, I beat him once, I’ll never choose to fight him again.

I bet you’re underselling yourself on the guardian ape. In phase 1 I like to sprint and bait him to flop, then use mortal draw, you can melt him pretty quick doing that. Phase 1 will be a health kill rather than a posture break. In phase 2, it’s ironically much easier because he uses a sword and you can parry him a lot easier. The animations in sekiro are so good in terms of matching the hit box. You can totally use the prosthetics like that, but I only really use fire cracker and umbrella. Fire cracker for obvious reasons and umbrella is a great reward for managing spirit emblems in that if you’re using only your sword, you’ll have the emblems to protect yourself for attacks you have trouble with.

I agree with your criticisms about Demons’ Souls and these games in general being a little more obtuse than they need to be, or just inconvienent. The best thing about DS remake is being able to send your crap back to the stockpile from inside the level

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Only thing I dislike about the souls system is that you have to stop leveling at around level 125, otherwise you will have a hard time finding pvp players - and when you do try to invade above that level, its two-three players just camping in ambush spots so they can one shot you with coordinated attacks.
The PvP community comes together to decide the meta level. And it has been 125 in every Souls game except I believe DS2. For those that don’t know, it’s low enough to where you have an actual build and not too high to where your character can do too many things. Other things are taken into consideration, and people still argue with the meta level at least in Elden Ring and a lot believe it should be 150. This is why I go to 138, that way I can match with 125’s and 150’s. That said, there’s a lot of levels that are active outside the meta levels. Like level 50-70, 90, 200, and 301+ are all popular. Any level 301 and above goes into the max level bracket. So if you’re level 301-713, you can match with others within that level range. They started doing this in DS3 and kept it with Elden Ring. Which, it makes sense, so I’m glad they kept it even though I’ll never have a character anywhere near even lvl 301 let alone max level.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Im one of the very few people who didnt dislike the Astel rematch. I mean, we are fighting lots of Fallingstar Beasts and full-grown Fallingstar Beasts while also encountering the "malformed stars" (which look exactly like the Astels, just desaturated) hanging from ceilings underground well before we reach the second Astel. Everything points out to those being stages in a creature's lifecycle, so it is pretty obvious that there is more than a single "Astel" and those are just a species or something. I also read somewhere that the correct translation for "Astel" would be "Aster" instead, because Japanese has that thing with switching Ls for Rs and such. "Aster" is the Greek word for "Star" - its where the "Asteroid" word comes from.

So yeah, the lore implication is that the stars in Elden Ring universe are actually Astels - or at least some of them are. So maybe there are billions of them lol. Radahn is said to have kept the stars at bay with gravity magic - this has a completely different meaning when you factor in that those "stars" might be actual living eldritch abominations from the cosmos. There is some cut animation where supposedly Astel would fall from the sky as a meteorite - I'm pretty sure that was initially planned to be Radahn's phase two.