What's new

Ed Boon Q&A on Twitter

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Boon talked about a bunch of cool stuff with potential remakes and some talk of DLC guests, but it sounded like he wasn't super confident that Injustice 3 will happen :confused:

Also I can't find the tweet again but he said that MK12 story will pick up where MK11 ended. He had another tweet about 3d characters and seeing the 3D games in 2D. Maybe they just hop back on the new timeline going through the old games with Fire God Liu doing his thing to make it happen.

I think signs are pointing to MK12 being the next game, maybe releasing in 2023.

Best one yet, here’s what we’ve got:
  • reveal within 6 months
  • game releases in 2023
  • it’s MK12. Not injustice.
  • MK12 story starts after 11
  • Tremor is very very likely to return at some point
  • Reptile’s chances to return are good
  • we will see 3D era characters. Reiko pretty much confirmed, Drahmin is out and Boon would be surprised if we never saw Sareena again, so nothing about her being in or out, but smart money says playable is unlikely the way he phrased it.
  • chance at guest repeat DLC
  • no Mike Myers, never considered Doom Guy but may appear in the future - he uses interesting for several DLC suggestions - and he wants to tell us what happened with Ash

Ugh, 3D era characters...

If they do pick the story up after Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, I'd honestly like to see it go forward from Shang's ending as opposed to Liu's.

Ugh, 3D era characters...

If they do pick the story up after Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, I'd honestly like to see it go forward from Shang's ending as opposed to Liu's.
People are running with the 3D era thing too much, since technically we’ve gotten not more than 2 in the NRS games outside of MK4, and those were Kenshi & Bo Rai Cho. Former is pretty much staple and latter heavily favoured by NRS.

Since 3D era includes MK4 to NRS, that means very little. So just ask yourself, are you really that upset with Tanya, Reiko, Quan Chi or even Fujin again? There’s not a single Deception character yet in NRS era and Kenshi has been in 2/3. So only Bo was a non-staple 3D era character.

Boon saying more 3D era could just mean a whole bunch of MK4 again. And maybe Havik. Wouldn’t rule out Onaga as a boss. I’d love to think we could get Reiko, Kai, Havik, Mavado, Ashrah and Onaga but that’s just not happening.

Only ones with a serious chance for MK12 I’d say are Reiko, Tanya, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi, Bo Rai Cho, Li Mei and Onaga as boss (not playable).

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Tanya, Ashrah, Li Mei, Onaga and Shujinko please

Seriously though, if the first three and Kitana, Mileena and Sindel were in it, I would pee myself. I don't care what the rest of the cast would be!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Regarding female guest characters:

Buffy would be interesting. Sarah Conners and Ripley are great movie characters but I'm not really sure how they'd translate into fighting game characters. Both are tough as all get out, but pretty generic in terms of possible fighting moves, unless Ripley gets to wear her mech outfit.

Female character I'd like to see: Beatrix Kiddo. Totally fits in to the ninja aspect, and she kicks ass.

Honorable mention: Borg Queen, Wicked Witch of the West.

People are running with the 3D era thing too much, since technically we’ve gotten not more than 2 in the NRS games outside of MK4, and those were Kenshi & Bo Rai Cho. Former is pretty much staple and latter heavily favoured by NRS.

Since 3D era includes MK4 to NRS, that means very little. So just ask yourself, are you really that upset with Tanya, Reiko, Quan Chi or even Fujin again? There’s not a single Deception character yet in NRS era and Kenshi has been in 2/3. So only Bo was a non-staple 3D era character.

Boon saying more 3D era could just mean a whole bunch of MK4 again. And maybe Havik. Wouldn’t rule out Onaga as a boss. I’d love to think we could get Reiko, Kai, Havik, Mavado, Ashrah and Onaga but that’s just not happening.

Only ones with a serious chance for MK12 I’d say are Reiko, Tanya, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi, Bo Rai Cho, Li Mei and Onaga as boss (not playable).
Nah. In this case, 3D era is Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Mortal Kombat: Gold is an odd game between 2D and 3D (while technically 3D is played far more like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is it's own thing.

No issue with Mortal Kombat Gold characters at all.

From the 3D era, we've had Kenshi (the only very well received 3D era character, so he made sense), Bo'Rai Cho (who's a waste of a roster space), and Frost (who's a waste of a roster space, but less so than Bo).

Lei Mai, Sareena, and a few others have appeared in Story Mode as unplayable NPC's or mentions.

And that's the way it should stay. One to two characters playable from this sorry era at most.

Marinjuana

Nah. In this case, 3D era is Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance through Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Mortal Kombat: Gold is an odd game between 2D and 3D (while technically 3D is played far more like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is it's own thing.

No issue with Mortal Kombat Gold characters at all.

From the 3D era, we've had Kenshi (the only very well received 3D era character, so he made sense), Bo'Rai Cho (who's a waste of a roster space), and Frost (who's a waste of a roster space, but less so than Bo).

Lei Mai, Sareena, and a few others have appeared in Story Mode as unplayable NPC's or mentions.

And that's the way it should stay. One to two characters playable from this sorry era at most.
Bo' Rai Cho is one of the best and most interesting designs they have done. I love the character in the story and I love his gameplay. MKX Bo' is one of my favorite fighting game designs.

Frost is cool.

I think the 3D era had a bunch of dope characters and lore but also with some of the the worst designs.

I'm hoping to see Hotaru, Darius, Ashrah and Havik all get redesigned. I also really dig Khameleon

Gimme Onaga bro

Blaze vs Tremor as co final bosses

Bo' Rai Cho is one of the best and most interesting designs they have done. I love the character in the story and I love his gameplay. MKX Bo' is one of my favorite fighting game designs.
To each their own, but I disagree on all of the above. He's a comic relief garbage character that should stay in the 3D era as far as I'm concerned.

Frost is cool.
She's also rather redundant as a playable character with Sub-Zero or the Cyber Ninjas in the mix.

For the rest of your post, again, to each their own, but I strongly disagree.

Keep in mind, it's been over 15 years since the 3D era ended and Mortal Kombat media, be it games, movies, animation, etc., have all avoided the characters from this time frame (some did show up in the Mortal Kombat X comic series, generally just to die or appear for a panel or to and then vanish). There's a solid reason for this.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm someone who never really played any of the old MK games beyond once or twice at a friends house, so I'm about as uninvested in the lore and/or 3D era characters as they come. However, based on NRS's progression from MK9 to MK11, I have confidence that whichever characters they choose to include, they'll find a way to make them look cool or be interesting. Hopefully both.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I just want Ermac and Tanya and I’m good, if not I guess i’ll have to decide who’s gonna be my fav for the game.

Regarding female guest characters:

Buffy would be interesting. Sarah Conners and Ripley are great movie characters but I'm not really sure how they'd translate into fighting game characters. Both are tough as all get out, but pretty generic in terms of possible fighting moves, unless Ripley gets to wear her mech outfit.

Female character I'd like to see: Beatrix Kiddo. Totally fits in to the ninja aspect, and she kicks ass.

Honorable mention: Borg Queen, Wicked Witch of the West.
As a Kill Bill fan, I don't agree with Breatrix being a good guest character. All ninjas and guest characters in MK have supernatural powers, and she doesn't have any at all.

Marinjuana

To each their own, but I disagree on all of the above. He's a comic relief garbage character that should stay in the 3D era as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah he's a comic relief character but so is Johnny Cage, he has a part in the story. Trained Liu and Kung Lao , being an important part of the DA/Deception mythos. His small role in MKX's story was Raiden confiding serious conversation with him. His dialogue in two intros with Tremor was compelling stuff.

He's not for everyone, he farts on people, but he's a great part of the lore. Crazy that it took like 5 games to get the Drunken Master character

It wouldn't matter tu me anyway but I don't agree that characters haven't shown up. Just watched a movie with Kira(Zzzzzzz) and Kobra(I'm the one guy who likes Kobra I'll admit) in it for Pete's sake! Of course the OG era with crazy selling games was where the most beloved characters came from.

Lot of unused potential from that era, Deception is just underrated as a game in general IMO

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Also people say like X character is waste we already have an ice ninja etc..
They had Supergirl and Superman in the same game and they played way different.

Cyber Frost was a really interesting take on the character and made her story more compelling. I don't think it was NRS' best gameplay design but it wasn't for lack of concept creativity