What's new

ECT 2019 Jade Matches

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
This.

I don't take him AS seriously since he said Sub's bottom tier and his overhead is 100% reactable online lmao
He then proceeded to not react to it 100% himself.
Sadly I think he is being serious. I don't think she is broke, there are many things wrong with her but in that variation there is some things going for her that can be strong.
What he is saying is her D4 is free spacing and the +3 is free respect/turns once conditioned.
To Sonic this translates to Broke

I don't think she is top tier or broke. just decent in that variation with some strong tools.

But I don't think Sonic is using her to prove anything. From what I know about Sonic, he only uses characters he thinks has strong tools that he can exploit.
Cassie, Jax, Nightwolf, D'Vorah, and now Jaded for the pressure and range.

I'm willing to bet Sonic uses Johnny way more than Jade. I don't think Jade does the best vs the entire cast so he is gonna be picking Outtake JC the majority. He says Outtake is Top 3. He is literally calling Johnny the new Cassie since he got her Glow kick right when she lost it and he has a good D4 for spacing and amazing Footsie not to mention 9f mid forceballs.

I don't think everyone should automatically agree with Sonic on everything but he does see potential in characters before others. Remember when he said Kotal and Shao was good and can play the meta just fine in the first month? Everyone said Shao, Kotal where garbage. He did FT10's with top players beating them using those characters B4 patches. Then VideoGamezYo comes along with Shao making 4th only using Jax for a couple MU's.
Furious Pillow & Azeez as well as Quark all made top 16's using Kotal when he was bottom tier on every list.
Sonic also labbed up stuff I never seen the other top players use long before we see others use it in majors. Then Everyone criticized sonics TL and then he showed them new tech and all of a sudden Deoxys and others came out with Tier Lists deathly close to Sonics.
He clearly understands the game better than most.
But he has made wild claims before and is generally hyperbole about everything so its hard to tell when he is right and wrong. And many just write his word in gold Tablets.

I take his opinions seriously but always test it for myself and get several other high level players opinions before I believe it fully.
I think everyone listens & takes him seriously to some kind of degree, but he ALSO said "SS Vegeta sucks" in DBFZ when everyone said he was really good especially his assist vanilla which resulted into a lot of people hounding him because a lot of players that he lost to were Vegeta players. GO1 being one of the main ones & then he challenged him to the 1st to 10 the 1st time. Now out of the other times, Sonic Fox has been phenomenal against the DBFZ community, but a lot of them also aren't afraid to speak up & say if they agree/disagree. Most in this community outside of a few I see on Twitter in most cases are afraid to disagree with him like they have some kind of knife to their throats or something.

Darkseid in Injustice 2 at the time he said was top 3 then he told his community that they were playing him wrong & that he'd win with him. He played him in tournament & not that he wasn't good with him because he was, but he immediately stopped playing with him when he started losing matches with him & then it wasn't like 2 days later, he didn't list him in his top 5.

Mk11 Sub-Zero he 1st said he was stupid & broken, now Sub-Zero isn't that good anymore (when this is clearly not the case). He runs through characters like day & night. The moment he picks up a character or drops them, people follow.

It's not an accident as to why people find it hard to take him seriously even though he is serious in most cases. I myself look at everyone's opinions, but I do own research. I tend to agree with him sometimes, but certain not all the time or use the "He's a top player" line as to why you should agree or disagree with him. We already know how good he is. I've met him before & he's cool as hell. He actually will have a convo with you if he has time. Me & his brother are actually friends. So it's nothing against him at all. Hell I don't even think this is his fault. It's more of the fact people aren't exploring enough or don't exactly know what to look for. He like other players has his tendency to reach at times. If this were someone like Tom Brady or Perfect Legend, if they were at the mountain top in this game, people would be quick to shout out their statements more often than his.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Mk11 Sub-Zero he 1st said he was stupid & broken, now Sub-Zero isn't that good anymore (when this is clearly not the case). He runs through characters like day & night. The moment he picks up a character or drops them, people follow.
I remember when he said Subs was top tier then said F2 was reactable for him. Later after playing Scars and Foxy's Sub he changed his mind saying it wasn't reactable when used from footsie range. It was mostly that 90% of the tournament substance where easy to react to having similar tendencies that made him feel a 19f overhead was reactable. Many corrected him stating that its damn near impossible for a player to react to 20f moves when they have more than 4 things to look out for as options. Not to mention overhead/lows, strike/throw, staggers, jik empty, JIK early, frame traps, throw, D4 adv etc.
I'd say he can react to 22f mixups while scouting it but if they are wavedashing into mad pressure controlling the pace I don't think he can react.

But yes he is like every other top player, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. There are some circumstances where he knows tech others don't but I'm always reluctant to just take his word.
I've seen every top player say some pretty crazy stuff recently and some questionable tier lists or opinions on characters.

Reactions: JDE

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I thought this thread was for posting matches not for everyone to be passive aggressive and childish or never learn from past history especially related to random declarations.

D'vorah was a big focus of his recently, but she's absent now. The real tea is even with people acting like this proves something is Sonic understands who to use her against and who not to use her against hence why no usage against HeyGeorge's Frost.

People are just too eager to be negative/toxic and try to throw something in someone's face.

LawAbidingCitizen you very often likes to said thing that pro said, when they actually never said them, like SonicFox said Jade is broken or when he admit that Sub Zero F2 isnt reactable.
Be my guess to post videos of him saying this things.

As far as Jade goes, she is bottom 5, no matter what Fox said. Even he have many problems with her and lost badly with her against top players like ninja with that 10-1 against Liu Kang.
He also goes life and death on this tournament with Jade. And it was mainly because of the character.

Until Squandered Potential gets buffed we'll be waiting a long while..

For as low as Jade seems to be we still see her pop up in tournies and KP is always there, Kollector is pretty rare to find in pools let alone make top 16

LawAbidingCitizen

He's the best there is and he'll play whoever he wants, and he took D'Vorah to grand finals which speaks volumes of how he's handling his choice of character lately. He also said Sub-Zero is bottom tier and then went and wrecked faces with him in exhib matches
TO be fair D'Vorah has some really dirty setplay. Only thing bad about her is she needs to constantly improvise.
He said she was top tier and I think he proved it. There was literally moments that his bugs where everywhere on screen being walls of hitboxes. And the loops of anti WU setups that cover all options but back jump which she can react to with JIK/JI1 into more setups and loops.

As for Sub yes he was wrong, he wasn't bottom tier offline but to be fair he quickly changed his statement on stream saying after playing Foxy's Sub he believed Sub could be unreactable and high tier.

But I don't believe Sonic will use any character he doesn't have complete faith in at majors to at least make Top 8. It would screw him in points and there is only one stop left.
I do think he would use underated characters if they had dirt he feels is cheap or at the very least strong.

So far he used Jaded the majority of his matches up to Top 8 only breaking out Johnny Outtake for specific matchups he knows is very much out of Jaded's favor like Liu Kang. Geras is a no brainer since Johnny is a counter.

I agree with you that ED is below mid tier. I believe Jaded is mid tier at least possibly higher. I'm almost betting Sonic will claim she is broken S- Tier in his upcoming list from the sound of his last stream.
He and many others will place Outtake top 5 and I've heard Sonic, Scar, Dragon and a few others say the D1xxRising Star & 9f mid projectiles are dumb.

We will see around 8pm where Sonic places with Jaded & Johnny. So far its Top 8 with Jaded as main and Johnny as pocket.

LawAbidingCitizen

LawAbidingCitizen you very often likes to said thing that pro said, when they actually never said them, like SonicFox said Jade is broken or when he admit that Sub Zero F2 isnt reactable.
Be my guess to post videos of him saying this things.

As far as Jade goes, she is bottom 5, no matter what Fox said. Even he have many problems with her and lost badly with her against top players like ninja with that 10-1 against Liu Kang.
He also goes life and death on this tournament with Jade. And it was mainly because of the character.
Everything you said is false.
I'm not getting into it because I know how you can single handedly derail a thread.
The things I said where said on stream and in person. Believe it or not.
Look at Sonics is my jade ready for tournament video on YouTube he says in there several times Jaded and Johnny are broke in certain ways. I believe he was playing Scars Lao and Sonya. And Scar agreed in that video and was getting annoyed. But I never said jade was broke and specifically stated I don't usually believe Sonic as he is often hyperbole.

Remember what I told you in the Liu Kang thread. I felt Liu Kang would only get his F4 nerfed to 11f and that would be considered normalized. And that's what we seen. He us still super strong obviously. But I said that's what would happen.

That's some passive aggressive false equivalence going on. Dragon's Kitana vs. Jaded is an entirely different issue than Dragon STOMPING Fox's Jaded as Cetrion.
And then he brought out Johnny Cage to stomp his Cetrion.

Call it what you want but this has been a running theme for MK11's first year, I'm hoping Sindel will help him in situations where Cetrion doesn't work out.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
And then he brought out Johnny Cage to stomp his Cetrion.

Call it what you want but this has been a running theme for MK11's first year, I'm hoping Sindel will help him in situations where Cetrion doesn't work out.
I.. I'm so flabbergasted right now. What you're talking about has 0 bearing on the current topic of "ECT 2019 Jade Matches." Take it to https://testyourmight.com/threads/ect-2019-top-8-results-and-breakdown.72134/

Anyway, good on Sonic for putting in the time to have a fierce pocket Jade. It's sad that she's just a "pocket" type of character, but I guess that comes with the territory of having a kit that's so polarizing for matchups.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I am EXTREMELY Grateful to SonicFox for taking Jade up there and showing everyone what this character's second variation is capable of after Emerald Defender got washed up. NRS can now probably clearly see most of the issues with Jade that they may not have so far and I'm hopeful that she'll get the MKX Kitana Treatment soon enough.

She needs it.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I don't understand how Emerald Defender wouldn't have been a better pick against Cetrion than Jaded. But im just a skrub

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I don't understand how Emerald Defender wouldn't have been a better pick against Cetrion than Jaded. But im just a skrub
Jaded closes the gap better and threatens Cetrion. Cetrion just shits on Emerald. Emerald is literally helpless in that matchup. You glow, you get teleported or vined. You try to zone, you get outzoned / teleported on. You try to get in, on Cetrion? Really? Think again.
All in all, Emerald has fewer bad matchups but Cetrion is always a 7-3 at best. That matchup feels like you're SF2 Cammy trying to beat Inj2 Starfire.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
everything you say is invalid, of course.
you are a pretty bad, irrelevant online-only player. you were never even decent, you have always been trash.
that being said, you also must be really sick in your head if you believe that the nonsense you have been allowed to post on this site, has any value or any relevance.
Oh, did I touch a nerve somewhere?
You sound angry.

Feel free to fight me anytime and show me just how bad I am.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Closing this thread to clean it up. If you can't have a discussion without insulting people, this is not the place for you. Any personal insult will be deleted, if you continue after the warning, more severe consequences will follow.

Thanks.

Edit: re-opened.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@Zer0_h0ur I just fought a Cetrion. It's ridiculous how helpless Emerald is against her. Literally any button Emerald can press just automatically loses.