What's new

Echo Fox Sonic Fox Wins VGA's Esports Player of the Year

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Yes Sonic, you really did win this. The Video Game Awards made the right choice in awarding Sonic Fox with Esports Player of the Year, closing out what has been a great 2018 for everyone's favorite furry.

In his short acceptance speech, Sonic came out all Sonic, dropping the first swear of the night and making sure everyone knew that he was black, gay, and the best fighting game player on the planet. Really not much more for me to say here beyond "he deserves it" and we'll drop the snippet with his speech down below when we get the video.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
People like this are ruining video games and making a joke out of the community. I was genuinely happy for the man until he brought politics into it. And his last comment about how Republicans hate all gays and blacks was sickening. Attention whore much? Like P2W said, CRINGE.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Leonardo DiCaprio made a speech about global warming at his acceptance. There's nothing wrong with using your platform to promote something you believe it. If Sonic Fox feels that his identity is a big part of his journey, that's his place to say so.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
he dominated 2 separate fighting games at once (the highest execution non RTS genre of eSports) and also competed in various others
I'm not sure how you define dominated because he's a great player in DBFZ, but not the runaway bore he is within NRS games. And you seem to discount the incredible performance of the rest of those nominated.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If you vote for a President who openly and repeatedly says derogatory things towards women, minorities, immigrants, foreigners, and the mentally challenged, I'd say It's a pretty safe bet that you're not very opposed to various forms of discrimination.

I don’t identify with a particular party, but I support Sonic standing up for his people and his cause.

Either way the politics are not the most important part for our community.. This was a huge award and a huge stage, and Sonic has earned it 100%. Congrats to him, and this is great for the scene as a whole.

If you vote for a President who openly and repeatedly says derogatory things towards women, minorities, immigrants, foreigners, and the mentally challenged, I'd say It's a pretty safe bet that you're not very opposed to various forms of discrimination.

I don’t identify with a particular party, but I support Sonic standing up for his people and his cause.

Either way the politics are not the most important part for our community.. This was a huge award and a huge stage, and Sonic has earned it 100%. Congrats to him, and this is great for the scene as a whole.
I’m a republican. I do not support trump. I do not hate black or gay people. Everything you assume is wrong.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Supporting the party is being complicit in the racial and gender discrimination said party engages in.

What a great moment for Sonic. Especially in gaming, where I think a lot of marginalized folks have a (understandable) hard time trying to be their best selves, having a person like Sonic just get up there and say it loud is a great, great thing. Better luck next year, Tokido!

Matt94

Noob
Leonardo DiCaprio made a speech about global warming at his acceptance. There's nothing wrong with using your platform to promote something you believe it. If Sonic Fox feels that his identity is a big part of his journey, that's his place to say so.

Promoting something that you believe without even checking if it's true or false is very bad
I don't live in USA. I am gay and Asian. And I am very interested in American politics. From my point of view Democrats and politically moderate people are too busy demonizing Trump and Republicans instead of focusing on real issues of the US which is disgusting. Republicans too do this but it's very uncommon compared to the other side. I bet you can't even quote things that Trump repeatedly said against women, immigrants, minorities etc. That's my observation that these toxic thoughts are usually cannot be verified by the people who spread them.
I hope someday you will sit down and analyze what's going on in your country.
If I lived in America I would have definitely been a Republican.

kevkopdx

Noob
Promoting something that you believe without even checking if it's true or false is very bad
I don't live in USA. I am gay and Asian. And I am very interested in American politics. From my point of view Democrats and politically moderate people are too busy demonizing Trump and Republicans instead of focusing on real issues of the US which is disgusting. Republicans too do this but it's very uncommon compared to the other side. I bet you can't even quote things that Trump repeatedly said against women, immigrants, minorities etc. That's my observation that these toxic thoughts are usually cannot be verified by the people who spread them.
I hope someday you will sit down and analyze what's going on in your country.
If I lived in America I would have definitely been a Republican.
Maybe you should do more research lol Trump is no friend to gays, minorities and women

kevkopdx

Noob
Why is he no friend to gays, minorities and women?
If grabbing them by the pussy is the only thing you know about his stance on women then that should be enough.. if you can’t see the inherent racism in his immigration policies/travel bans on Muslims, then I don’t know what to tell you... if denying visas to same sex partners of diplomats, lgbtq content immediately being removed from the white house website etc etc the list goes on forever

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I’m not going to derail this thread further, but you can PM me if you want to talk more.

The focus should be on what a big thing this award is both for Sonic and for this community.
you know I agree with you here, but you DID just make a bunch of claims and tell him you could source every single one of them. It makes the other people on your side of the argument look bad as well when you just say "I don't want to derail the thread so I'm not going to post it here".