What's new

EAST COAST THROWDOWN 2 - THE RUNBACK - May 22 - 23 2010

Tim Static

Adminerator
Static @ ECT2

Alright, finally some time to type this all out.

My trip actually began on Friday. My buddy Frank Bisesi called me and told me he was gonna save me a trip to Cleveland from Columbus on a Greyhound and pick me up via Dayton, Ohio (90 minutes SW of Columbus) and bring me to Cleveland. I lucked out. MAD PROPS TO FRANK!! The man is a legend in the Street Fighter WW/HF/ST world. He also placed 2nd @ HDr at ECT2 to secure a seeding at EVO 2010, I might add. I will also add he is a very good MK player who used to not only travel (and by travel, i mean Greyhound) to Cali to play Mike Watson and other SF legends but would also bus over to Chicago to play Lex, Jason Wilson and other LEGENDARY MK players. I will also add he put me in the losers bracket @ UMK3 too lol

Nevertheless, we arrived in Cleveland at Chris Ghaleon's house (Ghaleon, aka another good MK player, aka HALF the duo that brought the world SEASONS BEATINGS). I watched in awe of those Cleveland guys (Harmon too!) play some nasty HDr matches. We also got in some NBA JAM and WWF Wrestlefest in too on Ghaleons cab too. Awesome shit. The real godlike part of the night was watching Ghaleon and Frank do money matches @ Mega Man 2 time trials lol. Also some Mike Tysons punch out too. Amazing shit. Then it was sleepy time.

We left Cleveland, well, Solon, Ohio's Enterprise around 9:50am and make our way to Morristown, NJ around 5pm-ish.

And from then on, I got to meet some very cool people, for the first time in person. It was epic!!!

Shock - you know the story. I wouldnt have been there if it wasnt for you. You are Professor MK and your dedication to this gdlk game is inspirational. I am determined to keep this games spirit alive, as well as Ryan's too. It was awsome to finally meet you sir, and believe me its the first of many!! THANK YOU! PS- Happy Birthday on Saturday, brotha!

DreemerNJ - You werent there, but you were. I put the $50 to have the sponsorship of THIS site, and everything you have done with and for this site is SO special to me. Its been my homepage since i got my laptop in Spring of 2008 (yes even through the downtime!) it was an honor to speak to you on the phone. Hopefully next time it will be in person. Thank you!

Phil - Again, an honor to meet you, my friend. You are just as awesome IRL as you are on here and such. What you do not just for MK but for the FG community is awesome. For those that didnt realize, Phil ran 2 POOLS of Super Bleh Fighter 4...and let me tell you, Saturday was nuts. The ballroom was a hat sauna of hell and both you and Matt were running pools for a game that WASNT Ultimate. Best wishes to you and the wifey, and love to the kids ;) Hope to see you again soon!!

Simon - My friend, you sir are on such another level. The finals might have not turned out how you had liked, but you sir, will be cracking heads for it all very very soon. You are godlike!! Thank you taking the time to work with me, especially on that Sindel v Lao match up we did :) Work on that stick, and we'll get some matches in on p2p VERY SOON! Take care my friend. will see you again very soon! PS- let me know about Andrey! ;)

Dark Rob - holy shit, bro. holy shit. It was sooooo awesome to meet you in person. You are such a great dude, and is really motivated by this game we love (aka Ultimate Mortal Krack 3 lol) and what you already do for the community is just so beyond what alot of these forums kids wish they could be. You are the real deal and by the next time i see you, i wont want any part of that HSmoke. But those HSmoke v Kano matches and all the rest until you couldnt keep your eyes open Saturday night was a big high light. awesome shit bro. :)

Scotty! Thank you sir for letting me room with you, and all around all the BS i give you for this and that, but it was an honor to meet you in person. What you give the MK community and what MKE will give it will be huge. I cant thank you enough! Driving all the way you did just to support us, man, thats awesome. The stream was awesome, and yes, i gave MKE some love on it! ;)

Nit - You are the man, bro. You have the slickest set up, are such a great player. I was so very bummed you couldnt wreck me in some MK2. But thank you thank you thank you for helping give us the sickest set up in the room. Word cant describe how important you are to this community. Until next time (October, right? ;)) my friend...

iloveu joe - once again you taking money from me. lmao you never ceased to amaze me. I know Super 4 didnt go well for you this weeked, but its tough running shit and RUNNING SHIT hehe wink wink. Nevertheless, you definitely showed up in MK's biggest moment post arcade era and showed how versatile you are. For such a basic HSmoke, you sure do make some good CASH with him. hehe see you @ Seasons Beatings for sure again, bro. :)

Sweeeeeeeet, Sweet JohnnyCage! John, you are the fucking man. Sticking up for MK, helping us, providing for us, pushing us into the limelight. The tourney was awesome and again, an honor to meet you. If you ever need anything, you already know how to get ahold of me, my friend. Next time too, we gotta play each other!! take care buddy!

Versa...dont think i didnt forget. It was very cool and very unexpected to run into you. You is a very cool cat. Best of luck doing what u do, bro. See you around :)

Outlaw...my friend, i didnt even put 2 and 2 together until it was too late. You are that UMK3 DS player, i believe. Sorry it just didnt cross my mind until LOTS later who you are. Thank you for comin out.

All the other guys who stopped over and played....Kyle, BlueNine, Kazy...THANK YOU!! (if i forgot you, my bad!)

All the losers who put this game down....here is a spoon......If you still dont know what to do..............................

Of course, the Cleveland guys....thank you! the ride to (3rd Strike in the back seat lol) and on the way back....Boon & Tobias....Disco Fries....Chris in the middle of the front seat lmao lmao....ohhh jesus......see you guys Saturday :)

onward to this Saturday in Cincinnati for UMK3 on a cab, June 26th in Cleveland for MK on a cab and then of course, mid October-ish for UMK3 on a cab.

If there was never a better time to jump on the wagon............................

its now.

Thank you UMK, MKE & CMK!!!

Static.......out?

ECT2 MK crew:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I played games on stick before I got an NES, then I got the NES Advantage very soon into having NES around 1987, maybe 88, then for SNES I got the Super Advantage as soon as possible in 93ish, which was unfortunate that the button layout was so goofy, and for PSX I got an arcade stick eventually for that as well, but it wasn't until around 2000. I had a friend with the Genesis one as well and used it whenever I could. I have a PSX to DreamCast converter so I could use my PSX stick on the DC. I was always 1 to 2 years late getting every new system, including PS2 and 360.

For example, I will even play Super Mario Brothers on stick.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
DreemerNJ and I played UMK3 at a video store across the street from my grandmother's called West Coast video probably more than I played UMK3 combined everywhere else in the 90s. The guy Terry who owned the place made sure to keep a steady supply of arcade games. He always had 2 arcade games and a pinball machine, usually 2 fighters. I played the Simpsons there originally, I know they had something else at the time, but then MKII was there, then MK3 and Children of the Atom, UMK3 and Marvel Super Heroes, UMK3 stayed for a while, he also had SFA at the time after MSH. I'll have to ask Dreemer what other ones were there if he remembers. Then eventually UMK3 was gone and he had Marvel vs Street Fighter, and then eventually no stand up arcade machines, just a pinball I think and a sit in racer but he wasn't really in charge of the place anymore and had a couple other businesses. I believe it closed around 2004, and became a Dunkin Donuts. The time frame for this is like 1991 to 1999.

Edit: He also had Tekken 3 there, I played mostly Eddy Gordo.

I was one of the guys watching the stream from the very start non-stop waiting for UMK3 to come on (and shouting about it in chat constantly) :p
I really enjoyed watching it as did other people including those that havent experienced MK at high level play. I did get the impression that there are still a certain amount of people that really wanna see fatalities and a mix of characters (not just mirror human smoke matches). I don't know whats allowed at these events you guys have been going to but do you think an "exhibition round" might be worth doing?

By that I mean something like a 4 player 2vs2 (or standard matches doesn't matter too much) with the players having an opportunity to be "flashy" with interesting combos with different chars.

I understand us wanting UMK3 to be taken as a serious competitive fighter and I wouldn't want anything to be taken away from that but I could imagine a crowd really enjoying seeing a mix of chars doing impressive combos with finishing moves.

Thoughts?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
IceyTruth said:
I was one of the guys watching the stream from the very start non-stop waiting for UMK3 to come on (and shouting about it in chat constantly) :p
I really enjoyed watching it as did other people including those that havent experienced MK at high level play. I did get the impression that there are still a certain amount of people that really wanna see fatalities and a mix of characters (not just mirror human smoke matches). I don't know whats allowed at these events you guys have been going to but do you think an "exhibition round" might be worth doing?

By that I mean something like a 4 player 2vs2 (or standard matches doesn't matter too much) with the players having an opportunity to be "flashy" with interesting combos with different chars.

I understand us wanting UMK3 to be taken as a serious competitive fighter and I wouldn't want anything to be taken away from that but I could imagine a crowd really enjoying seeing a mix of chars doing impressive combos with finishing moves.

Thoughts?
When it comes to winning tournaments, you're normally going to see higher tier characters, Smoke, Ermac, Kabal, Kung Lao, Reptile, Robot Smoke, Nightwolf, but it comes down more to who the players think they have the best chance of winning with. If we could stream casuals, you'd get more variety.