What's new

E. Ryu / Oni Writeup.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Hey guys, I'm starting a blog and I'm planning on one of my first content posts to be a writeup on E.Ryu / Oni. I was wondering if you could tell me what you think of the writeup.

So far only E. Ryu is done, but I'll write Oni tomorrow. Please let me know what you think, and don't link this anywhere else yet! (There's some good info in here too.) I'm also aware that some of the info may be incorrect, but it's only a rough draft, I need to go back for more info.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody! Luckily this week I was able to head to one of my local arcades in So Cal and get a taste of Oni and Evil Ryu. There are a lot of questions and rumors circulating around, so I thought I could go in depth with each character:

Evil Ryu

Overview

Although his name is Evil Ryu, you shouldn't associate his playstyle with that of normal Ryu. His move set, movement options, vitality/stun, and combos are generally based off of Akuma. In general I believe E. Ryu will have a rushdown oriented playstyle, and will deal and take damage quickly.

Normals

As previously mentioned, most of E. Ryu's normals are based off of Akuma's normals.

- Light Punch

Standing: Normal Shoto st.LP. Doesn't combo into cr.MK or cr.HK. Does combo into cr.MP and st.HP, possibly cr.HP. Cancelable.

Crouching: Normal Shoto cr.LP. Doesn't combo into cr.MK or cr.HK. Does combo into cr.MP and st.HP, possibly cr.HP. Cancelable.

- Medium Punch

Standing: Ryu's far st.MP. Cancelable and combos into Hadouken.

Crouching: Shoto cr.MP but with more range and possibly more active frames. Links into itself and likely st.HP. Very good. Cancelable.

Forward+MP: E.Ryu does Akuma's Foward+MP. Hits overhead. Good mixup option.

- Hard Punch

Standing: Akuma's close st.HP. Cancelable and combos into pretty much anything. Very fast. From far is similar to Akuma's far st.HP. Useful in the same way.

Crouching: Akuma's cr.HP. Good vertical anti air. Stands the opponent up on hit. Cancelable.

- Light Kick

Standing: Akuma's st.LK in almost every way. Still useable to fake out opponents.

Crouching: Akuma's cr.LK in almost every way. Cancelable.

- Medium Kick

Standing: Similar to Akuma/Ryu far st.MK. Doesn't seem too useful.

Crouching: This will be extremely familiar to players of Third Strike, as it is an exact copy of Ryu's cr.MK from that game. Very long reach and a nice hitbox, however slower than the average Shoto cr.mk. Cancelable and combos into the same things, however it is very hard if not impossible to combo into from other normals.

- Hard Kick

Standing: Unfortunately E Ryu took his far st.HK from Ryu instead of Akuma. Similar in all aspects.

Crouching: Similar to Akuma's sweep, but a LOT slower. Good range. Hard if not impossible to combo into.

- Jumping Attacks

Almost all of his jumping attacks are the same as Akuma.

He has Akuma's jumping Down + MK dive kick at the top of his jump arc. Seems to be a little more vertical than Akuma's, however.

j.LK and j.MK are still extremely good crossups.

Specials

- Hadouken
QCF+P

E. Ryu's Hadoukens are extremely similar to Ryu and Akuma's, however it's hard to tell who's it takes after more. Useful in the same ways.
EX: Unfortunately EX Hadouken does not knock down, however it allows for EX Hadouken FADC combos into some moves like his U2.

- “Red” Fireball
HCB+P

Works almost exactly like Akuma's Red Fireball, however it isn't actually red, so I don't have a better name for this move.
EX: Faster recovery.

- Shoryuken
F,D,DF+P

Very similar to Normal Ryu's Shoryukens. Two things are different however. LP Shoryuken has extremely fast recovery, and in the corner you can juggle a U1 or HP Shoryuken from it without canceling. HP Shoryuken has a very good juggle potential, making combos like “Random Normal xx LK Tatsu > LP Shoryuken > HP Shoryuken” possible in the corner (people WILL freak out!)
EX: Deals lot's of damage and moves forward further, but has less invincibility. I assume it's more of a combo ender/punish.

- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
QCB+K

Works just like Akuma's Tatsu. Doesn't break armor, and LK Tatsu leaves you able to juggle the opponent aftwards.
Air: Crossup Tatsu works, however I haven't found any ways to combo after it midscreen.
EX: Just like Normal Ryu/Akuma's EX Tatsu. Can follow up with U1 or HP Shoryuken in the corner, just like Normal Ryu.

- Heel Drop
QCF+K

A new move to the game, E. Ryu raises his foot high above his head, takes a step forward, and slams it down to the ground in an arc (think Ryu's close st.HK, but angrier!) Only EX version is an overhead, and it is possible to combo into the LK version however I see very little use in that. Possibly a good move for pressure.
EX: Hits overhead. I could see this being useful.

- Teleport
F,D,DF+PPP/KKK or B,D,DB+PPP/KKK

Akuma's teleport. Possibly has more recovery, but still a useful move to escape mixup situations.

Super and Ultras

- Super
Raging Demon
LP, LP, Forward, LK, HP

An exact copy of Akuma's Raging Demon super. From my testing it appears as though it is a one frame super exactly like Akuma's, so you can't jump out of it if you're close enough.

- Ultra 1
Fireball Ultra
QCF,QCF+PPP

Very similar in use and damage to Normal Ryu's Ultra 1. The big difference is just how fast this move comes out. As mentioned earlier, this will connect after a non canceled LP Shoryuken in the corner. Very fast! Also supposedly chargeable, however I haven't been able to mess with that aspect yet.

- Ultra 2
Shoryuken Ultra
QCF,QCF+KKK

Very similar to Ken's Super, however it hits with one additional uppercut. If you hit an opponent on the ground it will go into full animation and end up with E. Ryu knocking them to the ground and dealing some more damage. Supposedly comboable from “Normal xx EX Fireball xx FADC Forward > U2” for full animation. Partial animation deals pretty decent damage still. Close to what Normal Ryu's U2 did on a juggle.

Combos

Almost all of E. Ryu's combos will be reminiscent of Akuma combos, with the added bonus of comboing into Ultra 1 the same way that Normal Ryu could.

- Combo Starters

These are the chains of normals that will probably start a combo:

• cr.LP, st.HP xx ?
  • cr.LK, cr.LP, cr.MP xx ?
  • cr.MP, cr.MP xx ?
  • cr.MK xx

- BnBs

• Combo Starter xx HP Shoryuken
  • Combo Starter xx LK Tatsu > HP Shoryuken (Midscreen)
  • Combo Starter xx LK Tatsu > LP Shoryuken > HP Shoryuken / POSSIBLY U1. (Corner)
  • Combo Starter xx LK Tatsu > U1/U2 is definitely a possibility, however I wasn't able to try it out.
Summary

If you want to play E. Ryu you have to ask yourself a question:
“Is what I'm gaining by playing E. Ryu over Akuma worth it?”

Gains:

• The ability to combo extremely easily into an extremely good, high damage ultra.
  • Higher damage combos.

Losses:

• Walk speed
  • Far st.HK
  • Air Fireballs
  • Demon Flip
  • Faster sweep
  • Combos into sweep
  • Knockdown on EX Fireball
  • Combos from crossup Tatsus

If your answer is yes, or if you're just looking for one of the flashiest characters around, then E. Ryu will be a good fit for you.

Tim Static

Adminerator
yea, what Rob said. I still wanna play this SOOO bad :embarassed:

Vanilla 4 was SO much more fun to play on the cab. i can only imagine SF4 Rv3.0 must be a lot better on a cab too.

PS- its still SF4 tho. -_-

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The style itself is good, but IMO it's a little too much spacing. Makes it feel much bigger than it actually is and should be.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
The style itself is good, but IMO it's a little too much spacing. Makes it feel much bigger than it actually is and should be.

See, THAT is exactly what I'm talking about. Perfect advice! Thank you so much.

I changed it, please tell me how it is now.

Also this blog should encompass multiple different types of games, especially Mortal Kombat 9, this is just a test idea.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Much better. It's about as compact as you can get a guide like this without it being too compact.