What's new

Dudes, this patch is actually... pretty good

@chud_munson @LawAbidingCitizen So NRS doesn’t want to do universal changes and character specific changes at the same time - I can accept that. But my concern is that it will be another 6 months before anything is fixed. Why did it take them years to (almost) fix all the broken hurtboxes? Were they collecting data? Conversing with top players? It’s indefensible.

I like that an 11 frame or faster medium must be universally respected after a blocked poke.

I like the input buffer on recovery so Sheeva f3 kombos don't miss as much.

I would rather have had a few more frames on the throw tech window than a throw damage nerf.

The "throw trade" nerf is largely not relevant.

Doing a huge character rebalance patch while opening up kustoms would have been stupid as hell- allowing kustoms literally rewrites the tier list, there's nothing to balance against....

....but Cetrion still got away with murder. Fuck you nature bitch

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
@chud_munson @LawAbidingCitizen So NRS doesn’t want to do universal changes and character specific changes at the same time - I can accept that. But my concern is that it will be another 6 months before anything is fixed. Why did it take them years to (almost) fix all the broken hurtboxes? Were they collecting data? Conversing with top players? It’s indefensible.
Ohh they definitely dropped the ball in many ways. They definitely are not perfect and even if they go for fixing the hurtboxes and wiffing issues in the next few patches I'm certain they won't fix all of them And new problems will arise.

I think it's pretty impossible to appease this community though.

Just want to say that i think this patch was great.

Since launch, i’ve struggled with finding a tournament variation that i really liked for the 10 or so characters i really wanted to play, but i couldn’t - they all felt too limited. i understand that was for balancing purposes, but no one was fun for me; no one made me want to lab them over and over. It would be one thing if this was my only game, but I’m spoiled and have a bunch of other fighting games i enjoy playing, so they’ve received a lot of my attention in the last year or so.

While customs haven’t made it so i can play all of those 10 characters in my ideal way, that was unrealistic to expect in the first place, and so far i’ve been having a blast labbing these new variations and having fun with characters i haven't been able to have fun with until now.

I was expecting there to be a pretty significant balance patch tied to this, but I understand why that didn’t happen - that would have been a nightmare honestly. I’m sure that patch is coming in the next 2-3 months though.

I also like all of the general system changes, except I’m not sure I’m a fan of the 3F faster wake-ups. I am more curious about the logic behind it tbh... Maybe just to make re-stands stronger? I’m also curious if this means you get up 3F faster after performing a Breakaway, because that would be an odd choice to me. If that is the case, I assume they're looking to put more emphasis on the breakaway/armor break mindgames.

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I think it's crazy anyone thinks this patch was anything but a lazy attempt to goad money out of customers.

The poke change is ridiculous because we already went through this with MKX. Why did they have to learn the same lesson TWO GAMES IN A ROW?

The lack of attention paid to balancing both moves and characters as a whole is insulting.

Top players are already saying they're bored, disappointed, or would rather play other games.

This game is just so lazy man. Every facet of it.
Top players say a lot of goofy stuff that isn't true. That's just appeal to authority.

Also: Cry more.

Gaxkang

Banned
So far playing some KL where folks are bringing their cheese out rather than just messing with new characters....yeah, this patch only brings my 1/10 score for MK11 gameplay up to a 1.5/10.

Nice to use customs tho that will increase the cheese factor...but the poke changes just don't seem compelling. Maybe it has to do with average fights online being 100+ ping or worse, but eh.
Throw game will still be more important than jailing, that I can see.

But the core issues plaguing the game from the beginning remain or in some ways are worse, so it still amounts to if Smash Bros got ambitious. :D

In other categories such as content, presentation, quality of workmanship, the game is like a 10/10.

That's a different criticism though, and one I agree with. I'll still defend that I think releasing this patch without a whole lot of character updates is the right move in a vacuum, but I also think they should be having folks basically full time trying to figure out the best way to tweak gameplay in the wake of the update.

So far playing some KL where folks are bringing their cheese out rather than just messing with new characters....yeah, this patch only brings my 1/10 score for MK11 gameplay up to a 1.5/10.

Nice to use customs tho that will increase the cheese factor...but the poke changes just don't seem compelling. Maybe it has to do with average fights online being 100+ ping or worse, but eh.
Throw game will still be more important than jailing, that I can see.

But the core issues plaguing the game from the beginning remain or in some ways are worse, so it still amounts to if Smash Bros got ambitious. :D

In other categories such as content, presentation, quality of workmanship, the game is like a 10/10.
You managed to punish -20 online yet?

Gaxkang

Banned
You managed to punish -20 online yet?
Sure, if it lets me. :p

I always tell people do not assume the windows you see in training mode when you go online. What little punishment the game has it has to be immediate, microsecond immediate...not within any windows training mode presents.

Of course, you have to block the thing first....which you may not be able to anyways. ;)

I always tell people do not assume the windows you see in training mode when you go online. What little punishment the game has it has to be immediate, microsecond immediate...not within any windows training mode presents.

Of course, you have to block the thing first....which you may not be able to anyways. ;)
All those buffer frames and it's still never gonna be your fault huh.
Should probably stop giving people bad advice, too.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_

If you go to settings you can practice with lag on. Hope that helps

Gaxkang

Banned
All those buffer frames and it's still never gonna be your fault huh.
Should probably stop giving people bad advice, too.
Heh I've gone into training mode to check things out, and checked windows out...it's not the same for sure.

So yeah it's you need to know a punishment that will hit every time (no inconsistency in hitbox interaction), will reach, and it needs to be done the instant you block.
Ya say that's bad advice...? :D

On a side note I'd like to block Sub's overhead + slide, but it won't be happening... :eek:

Last edited: