What's new

Dudes, this patch is actually... pretty good

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I read the patch notes, and tested the game, and i see ppl all over crying and saying "They didn't change anything, i had such high hopes for this patch"

You have buffer windows for less drop factor in combos
You have throws with less priorities
you have short hop attacks avoiding d1s
and you are still not satisfied?

Dudes... poke grab is half ded, i mean, some of you were running around with 5 to 6f pokes and be -3 after it, do you think it used to be fun to the rest of us? no?
NRS clearly touched the general gameplay issues which was the major problem of this game and ya'll still not satisfied? what kind of game do you want?
GTFO this patch is pretty good, and if you can't see the heavy shift on how this game it's going to play then i dunno what to say lmao.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
There is definitely some stuff to lab that's for sure. I think the people who are mad and are not satisfied are character loyalists who felt they didn't get moves fixed or their relatively tame character nerfed (Kitanas I'm talking about you)

I don't mean this as an insult to anyone but this community would need shit into the ground if it was up to them. No matter how many times the nerf hammer strikes there will always be a top ten S+ Broke tier and people will always complain about their characters lacking (buffs please) or characters being Uber broken (nerf plz)

But with that said it's near impossible to balance a game like this because there will always be a top and bottom gap from very small changes. For the most part NRS did very well at making characters competitive across the board. They made tweaks or small adjustments but they did do a couple drastic changes that shook up the tiers

But all that shit aside I think even though the game didn't drastically change from this patch in the ways people expected specifically for their mains. There is definitely a change of pace and Notable positive changes from this patch.

Poke mash has been neutered, everyone gets jailing from pokes on hit, flawless blocks are super easy now, Fatal blows are toned down and many characters jumped up tiers.

NoCharge

Noob
I read the patch notes, and tested the game, and i see ppl all over crying and saying "They didn't change anything, i had such high hopes for this patch"

Dudes... poke grab is half ded, i mean, some of you were running around with 5 to 6f pokes and be -3 after it, do you think it used to be fun to the rest of us? no?
NRS clearly touched the general gameplay issues which was the major problem of this game and ya'll still not satisfied? what kind of game do you want?
GTFO this patch is pretty good, and if you can't see the heavy shift on how this game it's going to play then i dunno what to say lmao.
Short hops do not avoid d1's, only hop attacks in their start-up frames.
Also, Shao Kahn is still ass, so you GTFO :DOGE

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Short hops do not avoid d1's, only hop attacks in their start-up frames.
Also, Shao Kahn is still ass, so you GTFO :DOGE
That is what they said, and also there is no reason for that change, every D1 it's -5 to -6 at best, you can hop attack in between their pokes anyway.
Feel sorry for shao tho.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Haven't test FBs, but giving what was said in the patch notes. . . FBs are still FBs. You can probably still throw them out & be OK.

Just going be my experience & only mines, but I can count on my hands how many times a D1 has poke me out the startup of short hop attacks it's very rare. Now if we talking about just short hop then yes , I have been down poke to Infinity.

Did they address that? No, they address something that rarely happens to me and it would seem like a lot of people as well, so for me and those people that change is utterly useless.

Wigy

There it is...
Is this patch a good step in the right direction- yes

has nrs been extremely slow and ineffective at sorting out glaring issues- yes

did people have expectations of some decent overhaul to individual balance after numerous patches that were big nothings and towers of time changes- yes

call everyone a crybaby- i call you guys bootlickers who need to play other games and see developers with better communication, community interaction put in 10x the effort.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
One of my biggest weaknesses in this game personally is when things are happening fast up close. I just can't hang with people that got quick reactions and quick fingers. My brain couldn't process that I blocked a poke or landed one and to plot my next steps of offense/defense.

I feel like this patch def helps players like me because now I can be deliberate and rewarded in my offense/defense rather than out-mashed by a kid whos machine gunning D1 into his 9f mid

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Universal changes were ace.

I assume there will be another patch in the future to focus on individual changes, maybe they want to observe how things play out before doing anything to characters specifically.
You've been saying this exact thing for a little over a year at what point will you stop?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I know I'll get shit on, but my honest opinion is not nearly enough changed. And I'm not just saying this because I was a Shao Kahn main when I actually played this game regularly.

Even with customs, I feel like some players will just be as bored as they were prior to the Ultimate patch within a couple weeks. For those enjoying the game a lot more, I'm happy for you. I still love MK and NRS but this just isn't the game for me. I feel they've played it too safe with this game and it's suffered because of that. I still find it boring to play and watch.

Mileena is pretty fucking cool, though. I'd consider buying her once she goes on sale by herself just to give her a try.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers

I felt like everything I was told or heard about ultimate was it would be the biggest patch to date largest most comprehensive endeavor they have ever attempted.

You don't need a crystal ball to tell that was a lie.
Is the patch not substantive? Of course not anything new is dope, however I think most people are pissed because things they said would be changed weren't. Changes that they alluded to never materialized and they laughed at people for asking for patch earlier saying we wouldn't understand they were right.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So you call out people for saying the patch is underwhelming then quote the system changes everyone in agreement is happy about?

No one’s complaining about the gameplay. We’re complaining about moves that have been utterly useless for the past year and a half.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think a lot of it boils down to expectations. I'm overall happy with the patch. Every character has better fundamentals now, and I enjoy the ability to make a custom variation. The variations might not always be crazy OP, but I genuinely enjoy being able to pick a move I like and try and find a way to make it work in a custom build.

I do wish they would have done more though. Just using Raiden as an example, there's two simple changes they could have done which would have really improved the custom experience for him: Make Jo Push a 1 slot move, add 2-3 seconds onto the Lighting Rod duration. Those moves have both been pretty hard to justify having or using in a build for awhile now, and neither was touched. So it's highly unlikely you're going to see any custom Raiden's using Jo Push, unless they're like me and are just messing around for fun. It sounds like a lot of characters have this issue. Hopefully the NRS team can take the next month or two and take a look at re-balancing some of these moves.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I've talked a lot of shit about this game for months now, justifiably so I think, didn't buy Aftermath, etc because I was disappointed with the direction the game was taking a year or so after release. I've been skeptical about NRS's ability/desire to break this mold and support their games holistically for more than a couple of years, but imo this patch is definitely a step in the right direction. I grabbed the new character pack and, for now, I'm back in.

Jbog

Noob
This patch is a total save for this game imo. Game is great now poke is no longer every characters best buttons! I played 10 sets last night and actually enjoyed the games no frustrating loses when I did lose was just out played not ripped by a bogus pokefest. Credit given patch is legit.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The truth is that certain people resolved to complain no matter what happened. We predicted it before and it’s playing out now.

There’s nothing wrong with making line-item suggestions for improvement. Not everyone will be happy with every patch. But when people cross over into stating things that are blatantly false, it’s clear that they weren’t really interested in the first place.

For example, saying “pokes are the same” or “no hitboxes have changed”. If the starting place of your discussion is a set of Alternative Facts then it’s impossible to actually have a discussion at all.

You’re 100% right that they made changes to the majority of areas of the meta that people mentioned. Pokes/jailing, throws, wakeups, fatal blow, crouching hitboxes, and custom variations for competitive play. To say that this doesn’t change the game at all, (even if it doesn’t change it the way one person specifically wants), or that they aren’t listening, is borderline delusion.

With that said, I also still have things I’m holding out for (for example, I still think non-canceled fatal blows should go away permanently on whiff or block), but I’m willing to discuss what I like and don’t like in a balanced way constructively, and that’s something we seem to be losing as a community.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Agreed with others that having so many "dead" (not competitively viable) abilities in the game is a major annoyance. Some characters are relatively locked into a handful of viable moves and don't have much creative freedom. A lot of these abilities have pretty obvious flaws, and it wouldn't have taken much tweaking to make them minimally competitive. I'm disappointed they haven't been addressed yet, but understand that the universal changes took priority.

That said, my major gripe with this patch continues to be the reduction in knockdown advantage. Every other universal change was requested and needed and will improve the meta, but I just don't get this one. Who or what is it supposed to help? Not only does it have no clear benefit, it's easy to see how it hurts every character and playstyle and ability that relies on setups or status effects that have a long startup or recovery. A lot of these characters were already struggling, and the knockdown nerf made them even worse, again for no clear balance reason.

Hopefully NRS will compensate by reducing startup and recovery on setup and status moves, but that could take months (if they do it at all). I wish I could at least understand why they thought this change was needed.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Is this patch a good step in the right direction- yes

has nrs been extremely slow and ineffective at sorting out glaring issues- yes

did people have expectations of some decent overhaul to individual balance after numerous patches that were big nothings and towers of time changes- yes

call everyone a crybaby- i call you guys bootlickers who need to play other games and see developers with better communication, community interaction put in 10x the effort.
Capcom communication is shit. Bandai Namco communication is shit. Team Ninja is shit.
Arc is about on par with NRS.
Double Helix/Iron Galaxy were much better than the norm.
and we can’t speak about Mike Z anymore.