What's new

DS UMK compared to arcade version

Hi all,

Have been checking out some of the great UMK vids on youtube and darktemplarz. Some of the stuff on display is nuts!

Trying to apply some of that theory to the DS game, coming up a little fruitless I have to say :(

For instance, with Reptile, the orb, HP HP, run underneath with special move, HP HP, run underneath with special move (I forget its command), dosen't work. :(

In other instances, (although probably for the better in multiplayer) you can't seem to do the launch combo > jump-in punch, launch combo, jump-in punch etc. combo

I'm sure there's tonnes more changed, so to what extent has the port been 'tidied-up'? Looking here for people's experiences with the DS compated to arcade. (since you all played arcade ver, just a liiiitle bit ;) )

Cheers.

PHIL

dreemernj

Ambassador
The port seems pretty dead on. I got 3 volleys of the Reptile dash juggle the other day. And I've relaunched and glitch canceled as well. The game runs a little quick so that might be changing the timing, but overall it's pretty spot on.

Tim Static

Adminerator
SkEvolved said:
Hi all,

Have been checking out some of the great UMK vids on youtube and darktemplarz. Some of the stuff on display is nuts!

Trying to apply some of that theory to the DS game, coming up a little fruitless I have to say :(

For instance, with Reptile, the orb, HP HP, run underneath with special move, HP HP, run underneath with special move (I forget its command), dosen't work. :(

In other instances, (although probably for the better in multiplayer) you can't seem to do the launch combo > jump-in punch, launch combo, jump-in punch etc. combo

I'm sure there's tonnes more changed, so to what extent has the port been 'tidied-up'? Looking here for people's experiences with the DS compated to arcade. (since you all played arcade ver, just a liiiitle bit ;) )

Cheers.

PHIL
I agree with Dreemer. I actually, for the first time ever, got ONE volley on the Reptile combo. I was psyched. :)

All the pyshics, gameplay, controls, combos, etc are pretty much identical to the arcade version.

If your not landing any of those combos, you just need to keep pratcing doing them faster. Trust me, they'll work.

This "port" is dead on, the only "bad" thing is the DS is SO small, hehe.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Everything in the videos for UMK3 arcade works in the DS version, just it's so damn hard to do with the tiny controls.

I figured you'd be the guys in the know :)

Wow- so i must just be very crap then! :D haha Need to work on my combos. Very intrigued after reading that all is still possible on DS.

I had 35 matches in a row with some dude last night, he was a good player, I just wish I could rmember his name! It would hav ebeen so handy if they added player names over the energy bar or something...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
dreemernj said:
The port seems pretty dead on. I got 3 volleys of the Reptile dash juggle the other day. And I've relaunched and glitch canceled as well. The game runs a little quick so that might be changing the timing, but overall it's pretty spot on.

Yeah, I agree it seems faster but it's dead on arcade perfect and I also got the relaunch with Kabal and C. Sub on the robots a few times already, everyone else it's a pain in the ass :evil:

Have you played on any other version of the game? It sounds like that you just started with the DS. If thats the case than you'll need ALOT of practice before you can do any of the combos that youve described. This games takes alot of time, practice, experience, etc... to get the hang of. :wink:

Sounds like a classic put-down to me.

I'm well aware that it takes a tonne of practice to get this good as shown in the videos. I take nothing away from these players who demo'd this stuff. In other posts, I've commented how amazing it is.

I played MK3 a bit.. but MK was waning for me a bit at that point...
I was more interested in the 3d fighters starting off.

So by UMK3... i wasn't at all interested to be honest.

I really just play this on DS now because it's MK and it's online. :p

MKF30

Tim Static said:
Well the single player is broken :roll:

If you're referring to the single player being cheesy, they're all like that...

I hate it how the CP cheeses you out sometime, throws can't block :x

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:

No, its broken.

You can infinte the CPU on anyone with RUN-LP in the corner. Even works on Kahn. Its blockable by another person, but the CPU has never blocked it on me during single player.

MKF30

Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:

No, its broken.

You can infinte the CPU on anyone with RUN-LP in the corner. Even works on Kahn. Its blockable by another person, but the CPU has never blocked it on me during single player.
I don't know about "broken" to me broken is a very big advantage and honestly, although the MK CP in most of the games(mainly the old ones) is annoying, it's also flawed as it has patterns that you can easily fool.

Sounds to me more like if anything it's flawed with easy patterns that you can easily detect.

If it were broken that badly I don't think playing the machine at all would fun, MK2 is a lot more difficult easily then UMK3 is. Usually the term "broken" is used in terms of very unbalanced or overpowering, UMK3 arcade is neither. Although if Kahn gets in you the corner and keeps ramming you, nothing you can do if the machine is feeling"win cheesy"

MK2 is a lot worse IMO

At least to me out of every MK, MK2 is really hard compared to the rest. My opinion.

Tim Static

Adminerator
But this only works on the DS version.

But with the AI being cheesey, or way to hard, remember, this game was made with the intent on people pumping quarters into them. So make it so hard, you gotta put more money iin it.

Examples are MKII (fuckers) and Super Smash TV.

MKF30

Ehh, lol they all seem alike to me personally I mean all the DS ports..I try the same tricks and it always works on all of them LOL :p like hop kicks to snuff out CP charging, works on every single UMK3 version I've played so far arcade accurate. 8)

Yeah, on the arcade bit to me all arcades were like that LOL...I hated that, way back when they were 75 Cents, then 50 then 25 etc.

MK2 and SSTV I totally agree, god knows how much money those machines made LOL :lol:

Also, the oldschool TMNT games...fun but you needed like 100 quarters lol :evil:

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
Ehh, lol they all seem alike to me personally I mean all the DS ports..I try the same tricks and it always works on all of them LOL :p like hop kicks to snuff out CP charging, works on every single UMK3 version I've played so far arcade accurate. 8)

Yeah, on the arcade bit to me all arcades were like that LOL...I hated that, way back when they were 75 Cents, then 50 then 25 etc.

MK2 and SSTV I totally agree, god knows how much money those machines made LOL :lol:

Also, the oldschool TMNT games...fun but you needed like 100 quarters lol :evil:
ALL those side scrolling games were token suckers. hehe

Final Fight, TMNT Arcade, Simpsons, Streets Of Rage, etc.

MKF30

Yeah, FF was awesome. I also really enjoyed playing the SNES versions of FF, FF2 and I think there was a FF 3 if I remember correctly.

TMNT for the SNES:Turtles in time was the shit! 8)

Midway's SSTV=beyong irritating! :x

Then there's NARC(original) the last boss was pissing me off so much when I played it on midway arcade...2 :shock:

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
Yeah, FF was awesome. I also really enjoyed playing the SNES versions of FF, FF2 and I think there was a FF 3 if I remember correctly.

Then there's NARC(original) the last boss was pissing me off so much when I played it on midway arcade...2 :shock:
I dont think I ever played those SNES versions of FF. I enever had a reason to play those games I played in the arcade because I praticcally grew up in a arcade.

Anyways, TMNT Tournament Fighters was fucking awesome for its day. It wasnt an arcade game, even though it played alot like a certain arcade 2-d fighter :roll:

Damn, I cant remember the name of the "sequel" to SSTV. I think its on MAT2...it was based on the Gulf War.

MKF30

Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:

I dont think I ever played those SNES versions of FF. I enever had a reason to play those games I played in the arcade because I praticcally grew up in a arcade.

Anyways, TMNT Tournament Fighters was fucking awesome for its day. It wasnt an arcade game, even though it played alot like a certain arcade 2-d fighter :roll:

Damn, I cant remember the name of the "sequel" to SSTV. I think its on MAT2...it was based on the Gulf War.

Total Carnage ^ also incredibly annoying :x

As for TMNT Tournament Fighters, it was a pretty good game for the SNES. Sega had one too just like their own "TMNT Turtles in time like game" but it wasn't nearly as good as the SNES versions, the SNES version was based off the arcade and very accurate.

MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:

As for TMNT Tournament Fighters, it was a pretty good game for the SNES. Sega had one too just like their own "TMNT Turtles in time like game" but it wasn't nearly as good as the SNES versions, the SNES version was based off the arcade and very accurate.
What about Smash TV?

MKF30

ButtManV3 said:
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:

What about Smash TV?

Yeah, SSTV Tim and I mentioned before, which was the first game before the sequel Total Carnage. :)

MKF30 said:
ButtManV3 said:
MKF30 said:
Tim Static said:
MKF30 said:

What about Smash TV?

Yeah, SSTV Tim and I mentioned before, which was the first game before the sequel Total Carnage. :)
MUTOID MAN OWNSS JOO!!!!! RAWR!!!

MKF30

I didn't play them much in the arcades, I get frustrated if the machine keeps beating me and taking my money :x :x

NARC was another Midway game that was irritating, the game took a while and the last boss was just annoying as hell..That mod crackhead boss or whatever lol.

I still remember seeing that game being played in the original first TMNT movie back in the early 90's. :lol:

Tim Static

Adminerator
MKF30 said:
I didn't play them much in the arcades, I get frustrated if the machine keeps beating me and taking my money :x :x
Man, if I were somwhow too be reimbursted for all the money I spend on arcade games, lol, I could uy a car. Seriously, hehe.

MKF30

I don't doubt that man lol, I'm sure the total between MK2 and UMK3 the arcades earned on those two games alone could buy me a corvette hehe(my dream car) :D