What's new

Discussion Don't Get Your Hopes Up - 50/50s, Oct 4th Update, and Everyone's Overreaction.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
We had an event on Saturday and I had a chance to speak to a old friend of mine who's working for the company that worked on MKXL in Warsaw - Poland. I was not able to get the details but there is a fat long list of changes coming. I know few things already but since patch is around the corner I'll wait.
I knew that what they shared in twitter was an ounce of what's coming tomorrow. I'll grab a pop corn and a coca cola to watch this interesting list of changes.

#NerfErmac

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
A few days ago, members of the NRS staff (including Ed Boon, Tyler Lansdown, Paulo Garcia and more) began teasing buffs and nerfs for tomorrow's big patch.

Amongst these "normalizations" - Alien now has a hurtbox on his tail, Raiden may have super armor on his Superman, Dualist Kang can now use his white projectile to blow up a stagnant red orb, and...more controversially...Quan Chi's b2 is now duck-blockable. This can only mean that Quan's b2 is now a mid hitting move, greatly taking away from his mixup game.

Immediately after seeing this brief snippit of a nerf, the NRS community...specifically top players...went wild. People see this nerf to Quan's b2 and, for some reason, immediately correlated that to all 50/50s being regulated, nerfed, or taken out altogether. The idea of a more neutral based game has made many players excited to see Mortal Kombat become a fighting game and not a coin flip simulator.

While the idea of MIXL becoming MKXL sounds amazing, it is fair to say that people are GROSSLY overestimating the nerf of b2.

Before I explain, I have no "inside information", just seeing this in a realistic POV.

Hard-to-blockable and unblockables are pretty prevalent in this game. Like...overly prevalent. Quan, Takeda, Cyber Sub, Cyrax..all of these characters have hard-to or unblockables. This is a serious concern for the longevity of a fighting game. Once you're in the corner against the likes of Quan Chi, you might as well quick teabag while holding block because you're lucky AF to block it even if you try.

Quan Chi's b2 nerf, IMHO, is a hard-to or unblockable nerf while trying to keep Quan's zoning game relevant because the low projectile in Summoner is important. If you see ANY universal nerf based off of Quan's individual b2 nerf, it won't be a widespread abolishment of 50/50...but an attempt to regulate the hard-to and unblockables in this game. I expect to see Takeda's ex kunais become a mid.

Thoughts?

Tldr; - Quan Chi's b2 nerf may be a sign that hard-to-blockables and unblockables will be regulated in this patch. I could be completely wrong tho. But, expecting NRS to nerf all 50/50s in the game is a reach. Don't set yourself up for the letdown because you will be more salty postpatch than you are prepatch.
Yep my thoughts exactly, been saying this since the first GIF. everyone freaked out. and TYM went out of hand. i was like this whole game is geared towards this, not to mention many characters where built with the focus of 50/50's being there Desgine, and many characters use Armored launchers as a defense including Kenshi. and im like they are in no way nerfing that shit universally it would ruin 90% of the cast. they would have to do a 40GB patch to fix that shit.

In otherwords you basically share the belief that i am correct and the 50/50's and Armored launchers are not going anywhere.

nice to see someone with a logical point of view.

We shall see today :)

MadeOfMetal

There's a reason they showed certain changes imo. Reptile nerf = Armored launchers being looked at.

D'vorah buff = Sonya's overhead looks slower
Quan's B2 = Overhead's /mixups might be toned down

at least imo. We'll see I guess but I'm super excited for this patch.
Sonyas Overhead was slowed down in that video, so was Subs B2. but what ev we shal see.

MadeOfMetal

Is when you're put into a situation you're forced to submit to your only available options, not necessarily being OH or low, it can be buttons or no buttons, wakeup, no wakeup, tech throw no tech throw, etc no etc.

Two sides of a coin.
yep there is stagger PRessure, Cancel Pressure, Number of hits, and many many more, Reaction to OS. even if 50/50's where removed there will always be a guess factor in Fighters and Reads. its what fighters are all about. and what ive been saying to everyone is taking away the mixups don't fix what you have a problem with. the same guys that swear remove mixups and game becomes honest will later find that they hjate the other shit just as much then complain about that.

and you can't remove it and call it a fighter. every fighter has a huge guessing game. Reading your opponent is the biggest skill a Player can have in fighters.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
There's also the trolling with the fake inputs on the special attacks.

Ermac has his own unique trolling, and that's to stay in air. The rest of us would guess what he would do once in mid-air. These would be teleportation attack, ground stomp and tele-lift. This is why I hate Ermac.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
yep there is stagger PRessure, Cancel Pressure, Number of hits, and many many more, Reaction to OS. even if 50/50's where removed there will always be a guess factor in Fighters and Reads. its what fighters are all about. and what ive been saying to everyone is taking away the mixups don't fix what you have a problem with. the same guys that swear remove mixups and game becomes honest will later find that they hjate the other shit just as much then complain about that.

and you can't remove it and call it a fighter. every fighter has a huge guessing game. Reading your opponent is the biggest skill a Player can have in fighters.
It will make the game more honest tho, as long as there is no unreactable mixups into them, that are equally safe.
I mean, kano could do his overhead string into knife slash or his low string into knife slash to remove the risks of his pressure every time someone blocked correctly, still having to deal with his up ball.

Sonya locking ppl in the corner, making even worse with delayed wakeups, demo destroying neutral armor on top of all that craziness etc etc.

MadeOfMetal

It will make the game more honest tho, as long as there is no unreactable mixups into them, that are equally safe.
I mean, kano could do his overhead string into knife slash or his low string into knife slash to remove the risks of his pressure every time someone blocked correctly, still having to deal with his up ball.

Sonya locking ppl in the corner, making even worse with delayed wakeups, demo destroying neutral armor on top of all that craziness etc etc.
i understand you get what im saying, we remove 50/50's and we will find a way to fuck other over. if not them ill use cancel pressure and keep you from doing shit. or ill do setups to break armor and jail pressure. there are so many examples.

but with or without it everything can be made cheap. them attacking everything one at a time does not fix it. Cheap just shifts

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i understand you get what im saying, we remove 50/50's and we will find a way to fuck other over. if not them ill use cancel pressure and keep you from doing shit. or ill do setups to break armor and jail pressure. there are so many examples.

but with or without it everything can be made cheap. them attacking everything one at a time does not fix it. Cheap just shifts
Kounter

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
A few days ago, members of the NRS staff (including Ed Boon, Tyler Lansdown, Paulo Garcia and more) began teasing buffs and nerfs for tomorrow's big patch.

Amongst these "normalizations" - Alien now has a hurtbox on his tail, Raiden may have super armor on his Superman, Dualist Kang can now use his white projectile to blow up a stagnant red orb, and...more controversially...Quan Chi's b2 is now duck-blockable. This can only mean that Quan's b2 is now a mid hitting move, greatly taking away from his mixup game.

Immediately after seeing this brief snippit of a nerf, the NRS community...specifically top players...went wild. People see this nerf to Quan's b2 and, for some reason, immediately correlated that to all 50/50s being regulated, nerfed, or taken out altogether. The idea of a more neutral based game has made many players excited to see Mortal Kombat become a fighting game and not a coin flip simulator.

While the idea of MIXL becoming MKXL sounds amazing, it is fair to say that people are GROSSLY overestimating the nerf of b2.

Before I explain, I have no "inside information", just seeing this in a realistic POV.

Hard-to-blockable and unblockables are pretty prevalent in this game. Like...overly prevalent. Quan, Takeda, Cyber Sub, Cyrax..all of these characters have hard-to or unblockables. This is a serious concern for the longevity of a fighting game. Once you're in the corner against the likes of Quan Chi, you might as well quick teabag while holding block because you're lucky AF to block it even if you try.

Quan Chi's b2 nerf, IMHO, is a hard-to or unblockable nerf while trying to keep Quan's zoning game relevant because the low projectile in Summoner is important. If you see ANY universal nerf based off of Quan's individual b2 nerf, it won't be a widespread abolishment of 50/50...but an attempt to regulate the hard-to and unblockables in this game. I expect to see Takeda's ex kunais become a mid.

Thoughts?

Tldr; - Quan Chi's b2 nerf may be a sign that hard-to-blockables and unblockables will be regulated in this patch. I could be completely wrong tho. But, expecting NRS to nerf all 50/50s in the game is a reach. Don't set yourself up for the letdown because you will be more salty postpatch than you are prepatch.
Reasonable train of thought. I never advocate destroying good characters and I think Quan is great in concept. My overall concern was exactly all you have said in this thread. Good one.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Your overhead will become 20-ish frames
Say goodbye to free armor breaking on wakeup with that f3 or whatever normal/string it is, which is now unsafe as well
Half of Bojutsu's armor is gone
Go to practice mode right now and keep NJPing until you get blisters on your fingers because today is the last day you'll enjoy that shit

Shall I go on?
Do you have evidence of any of that? or just speculation?