What's new

Discussion Don't Get Your Hopes Up - 50/50s, Oct 4th Update, and Everyone's Overreaction.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
A few days ago, members of the NRS staff (including Ed Boon, Tyler Lansdown, Paulo Garcia and more) began teasing buffs and nerfs for tomorrow's big patch.

Amongst these "normalizations" - Alien now has a hurtbox on his tail, Raiden may have super armor on his Superman, Dualist Kang can now use his white projectile to blow up a stagnant red orb, and...more controversially...Quan Chi's b2 is now duck-blockable. This can only mean that Quan's b2 is now a mid hitting move, greatly taking away from his mixup game.

Immediately after seeing this brief snippit of a nerf, the NRS community...specifically top players...went wild. People see this nerf to Quan's b2 and, for some reason, immediately correlated that to all 50/50s being regulated, nerfed, or taken out altogether. The idea of a more neutral based game has made many players excited to see Mortal Kombat become a fighting game and not a coin flip simulator.

While the idea of MIXL becoming MKXL sounds amazing, it is fair to say that people are GROSSLY overestimating the nerf of b2.

Before I explain, I have no "inside information", just seeing this in a realistic POV.

Hard-to-blockable and unblockables are pretty prevalent in this game. Like...overly prevalent. Quan, Takeda, Cyber Sub, Cyrax..all of these characters have hard-to or unblockables. This is a serious concern for the longevity of a fighting game. Once you're in the corner against the likes of Quan Chi, you might as well quick teabag while holding block because you're lucky AF to block it even if you try.

Quan Chi's b2 nerf, IMHO, is a hard-to or unblockable nerf while trying to keep Quan's zoning game relevant because the low projectile in Summoner is important. If you see ANY universal nerf based off of Quan's individual b2 nerf, it won't be a widespread abolishment of 50/50...but an attempt to regulate the hard-to and unblockables in this game. I expect to see Takeda's ex kunais become a mid.

Thoughts?

Tldr; - Quan Chi's b2 nerf may be a sign that hard-to-blockables and unblockables will be regulated in this patch. I could be completely wrong tho. But, expecting NRS to nerf all 50/50s in the game is a reach. Don't set yourself up for the letdown because you will be more salty postpatch than you are prepatch.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lol no signs he will be touched yet. But this has nothing to do with Kung Jin
Your overhead will become 20-ish frames
Say goodbye to free armor breaking on wakeup with that f3 or whatever normal/string it is, which is now unsafe as well
Half of Bojutsu's armor is gone
Go to practice mode right now and keep NJPing until you get blisters on your fingers because today is the last day you'll enjoy that shit

Shall I go on?

JDM

Noob
There's a reason they showed certain changes imo. Reptile nerf = Armored launchers being looked at.

D'vorah buff = Sonya's overhead looks slower
Quan's B2 = Overhead's /mixups might be toned down

at least imo. We'll see I guess but I'm super excited for this patch.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Your right that we could possibly be getting our hopes up but from the tweets I get the impression that armor in neutral may be gone and you only have armor on wake up or reversal.

I know it's only speculation but someone from nrs also tweeted blocking=punish or something to that extent which also leads me to believe raw armor in neutral is gone so when someone does a negative string they can't just armor to get their turn back

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Just to give my take on Quans B2.

Yeah he could still have his hard to blockable but now he can't just run up or jump in OH you and lead himself to a position where he can get his HTBs easily going.

So by that alone it be nerfed and im cool with it.

I also beggining to believe that it's getting overhype.

But not Kounter, Kounter is here to solve everybody's problems.
You got a question about the patch!... Trust in Kounter to be your answer.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Just to give my take on Quans B2.

Yeah he could still have his hard to blockable but now he can't just run up or jump in OH you and lead himself to a position where he can get his HTBs easily going.

So by that alone it be nerfed and in cool with it.

I also beggining to believe that it's getting overhype.

But not Kounter, Kounter is here to everybody's problems.
You got a question about the patch!... Trust in Kounter to be your answer.
KOUNTAH!!!

JDM

Noob
maybe they made quan's F2 an overhead instead? Kinda looks like one and would be slower/have less range so it wouldn't be an all encompassing footsie and mixup tool like his B2.

(at least I think it's f2, the overhead lookin chop)

omooba

fear the moobs
imo this just makes the game more basic and y'all will still find something to complain about. the game didn't need to be reworked just slight tweaking but eh tym will be tym can't wait till they burst your bubble

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
We had an event on Saturday and I had a chance to speak to a old friend of mine who's working for the company that worked on MKXL in Warsaw - Poland. I was not able to get the details but there is a fat long list of changes coming. I know few things already but since patch is around the corner I'll wait.

imo this just makes the game more basic and y'all will still find something to complain about. the game didn't need to be reworked just slight tweaking but eh tym will be tym can't wait till they burst your bubble
Yep, sure is. Can't wait for more entertainment here later after the Kombat Kast.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
Yep, sure is. Can't wait for more entertainment here later after the Kombat Kast.
It's okay everyone, after the blowup happens we have Reo to make a thread and talk sense into us