What's new

Strategy - Unstoppable Does unstoppables revive actually hurt him??

So we were thinking about captain low tie... Scratch that jason, and his unstoppable buff sacrifices up to 3 bars for 20 percent life.

Most of the time this isn't worth it.

If your opponent has 40 percent life and kills you round 1 or 2, you can never save meter for the next round. If you have 2 bars odds are you are just throwing it away in these types of situations. It's really only good round 3 or when you have 0 bars and/or its clos.

Should players have the option to input the revive??

I feel his armor buff is a similar situation, half the time you get in, then you hit them with a command grab or something and it stops mid bnb, you might invest resources to get a non guaranteed 20 percent, then get punished for more damage

It's possibles you might want to trade with his command grabs with an uppercut, so he gets less net dmg, then try to advance to punish him during rest and get a better net damage, there's so many downsides.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
To put it in another perspective...
If the opponent isn't ahead in life and you revive with more HP, isn't that a bit strong?
After all, they have to kill you, get in on you again, and kill you again.

Meanwhile you have access to a health regeneration passive which can further extend your lead.
Instead of it being 20%, we have to keep in mind the existence of that hp regeneration which could bring it to 30 or even 40% in some cases.
Also against some characters who depend on a close game (Like Lackey Torr) this could prove disastrous because he may never be able to open you up again.

Even if you lack the lifelead, since you can heal you can sit on the defensive and just build back up.

Yeah....jason seems to be cool but i dont know that im convinced his current design has what it takes to beat good players using top chars. Slow, easily read normals and his armor grants your opponent a free combo when it wears off...sheesh

To put it in another perspective...
If the opponent isn't ahead in life and you revive with more HP, isn't that a bit strong?
After all, they have to kill you, get in on you again, and kill you again.

Meanwhile you have access to a health regeneration passive which can further extend your lead.
Instead of it being 20%, we have to keep in mind the existence of that hp regeneration which could bring it to 30 or even 40% in some cases.
Also against some characters who depend on a close game (Like Lackey Torr) this could prove disastrous because he may never be able to open you up again.

Even if you lack the lifelead, since you can heal you can sit on the defensive and just build back up.
Not like jason is running the whole game, he's not part. Quick nor mobile

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I agree with you, like on paper it sounds awesome and fair but in practice when you finally do get in, you have to end it quick so you don't get punished. And for unstoppable..gah..if you can some how get in and get some damage in it might work for some clutch comebacks. But not so much in practice.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Not like jason is running the whole game, he's not part. Quick nor mobile
He doesn't need to be quick or mobile. Unlike the other two variations, Unstoppable doesn't have armor buff. Its replaced with health regeneration if I remember right.
I feel like Unstoppable is actually meant to be played defensively, constantly forcing back opponents and regenerating life.

Its like the Bane vs Batgirl MU, where Bane isn't made to play like he usually does. He doesn't go ham, its not an option.
He instead gets a lifelead and sits back, making batgirl come in and pushing her back out.

I think this variation is all about the risk vs reward of not being able to save your meter in between rounds (assuming you don't outright win the round before dying and reviving). Another benefit is that it essentially stops your opponent's combo since the game has to pause for Jason to revive (so its kind of this pseudo combo breaker).

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
Definitely hurts him, especially versus zoners.

You just sacrificed all your meter for a scant amount of health, so no armor. Plus, this is the only variation without his armor trait special. You've got to just wiggle your way in, and the little shuffle he does before he actually starts running doesn't help.

Sublime

Stop blocking my hits with your face!
I hope there would be a option that u could choose, hate loosing that meter i just built :(

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I posted this in the general discussion before the character even came out. It's pretty obvious that it's not great if you can't control it.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
This thread would make a lot more sense if Unstoppable Jason didn't have an awesome self-healing buff (with either 44 or 38 recovery frames depending on if it is meter-burned or not). If you are playing unstoppable correctly, you should be healing yourself several times per round, and as a result, you really shouldn't be losing rounds by too much. Therefore, having an extra chance at stealing a given round is a pretty big deal. Essentially, having both resurrection and Rise/Corpse Walk (his self-healing buff) gives Jason more life than any character in the game.

Of course, resurrection may be a potential weakness against hyper-zoners (although, they tend to have very poor damage output, so Rise/Corpse Walk should make a big difference in these match-ups), but conditional statements like that can be applied to all sorts of moves, for all sorts of variations, for all sorts of characters. In other words, this perpetual, conditional cluster-fuck of match-up specific considerations is something that was intended by the developers . . hence, VARIATIONS.

I think a lot of people forget that this game is designed for one to become competent with all three variations of a character, in order to properly navigate every potential match-up in the game. We all tend to want to find the "strongest" variation of a particular character and exclusively capitalize on that variations's particular strengths, but, In my opinion, this game just isn't designed for that strategy to be effective in the long run.

kaseyk

Noob
This thread would make a lot more sense if Unstoppable Jason didn't have an awesome self-healing buff (with either 44 or 38 recovery frames depending on if it is meter-burned or not). If you are playing unstoppable correctly, you should be healing yourself several times per round, and as a result, you really shouldn't be losing rounds by too much. Therefore, having an extra chance at stealing a given round is a pretty big deal. Essentially, having both resurrection and Rise/Corpse Walk (his self-healing buff) gives Jason more life than any character in the game.

Of course, resurrection may be a potential weakness against hyper-zoners (although, they tend to have very poor damage output, so Rise/Corpse Walk should make a big difference in these match-ups), but conditional statements like that can be applied to all sorts of moves, for all sorts of variations, for all sorts of characters. In other words, this perpetual, conditional cluster-fuck of match-up specific considerations is something that was intended by the developers . . hence, VARIATIONS.

I think a lot of people forget that this game is designed for one to become competent with all three variations of a character, in order to properly navigate every potential match-up in the game. We all tend to want to find the "strongest" variation of a particular character and exclusively capitalize on that variations's particular strengths, but, In my opinion, this game just isn't designed for that strategy to be effective in the long run.
some good points but almost every character has a shitter variations and as far as i can tell unstoppable is jasons and not having a choice if you want to rise or not and lose your meter sucks .

jason is fun for casual play but in competitive play hes real bad . just set dvorah to d4 repeat and you will see what i mean he has real bad footsie tools and damage is blah .

kaseyk

Noob
Character had yet to see a single tournament match. People call him unviable.

And that D'Vorah example? There are more characters than just Jason who might struggle vs counterpoking her.

I think people need to take a chill pill.
thats just a setting i use to test footsie tools and you know your going to face a dvorah if you go to tourny

i like using her specifically for her speed and small frame and helps me atleast figure out which moves to remove from my usable list at that range and with jason it really narrowed down his options to pretty much b12 . his backdash is also pretty bad .

please test it yourself before saying it's a bad test example :)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So you couldn't armor through her pokes? Nah, of course not.

Or block a poke and walk back? Hell, if she mashes another poke, you could whiff punish, possibly with his advancing, armored with meter shoulder charge.

Not every character is about mashing out counterpokes.

You could even use killing machine to ignore her poke game altogether and go for a throw.

Now i know Killing Machine has a duration. Jason players MIGHT have to learn and master it's duration.

You have options.

I feel unstoppable is his second best variation after slasher.

While this is true two many characters play the same in multiple variations despite their supposed differences. Jason for example plays the exact same in unstoppable and relentless yet gets a damage buff and self healing that can be setup off most his combos. Relentless has a very easy to read punishable teleport and a gimmicky inverse control special that takes too long to setup and at the same time has below average damage output when compared to his other two forms.

kaseyk

Noob
we already found the only
So you couldn't armor through her pokes? Nah, of course not.

Or block a poke and walk back? Hell, if she mashes another poke, you could whiff punish, possibly with his advancing, armored with meter shoulder charge.

Not every character is about mashing out counterpokes.

You could even use killing machine to ignore her poke game altogether and go for a throw.

Now i know Killing Machine has a duration. Jason players MIGHT have to learn and master it's duration.

You have options.
unstoppable does not have the armor buff .
he does have a heal buff for about 5% and dmg buff which for some reason can both be ex with no actual increase probably a bug