What's new

Question - Unbreakable Does Unbreakable do anything for Sub-Zero?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I disagree, no Klone = no respect.
Does EX-clone have good ways to mess with Lao's midscreen options? I imagine it's a good option against Lao players that don't have their execution down right and leave a gap after an EX hat spin. Or you can probably shut down Lao's offense to a good extent with normal clone.

I mean unless you're Foxy Grampa, then you don't give a fuck about clone.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Does EX-clone have good ways to mess with Lao's midscreen options? I imagine it's a good option against Lao players that don't have their execution down right and leave a gap after an EX hat spin. Or you can probably shut down Lao's offense to a good extent with normal clone.

I mean unless you're Foxy Grampa, then you don't give a fuck about clone.
Ex clone is probably the best parry in the game I think. Yeah you're right, bad execution can get you cloned.

Sub zero has pretty shitty options midscreen, that's why the clone is so powerful in the corner, take away the clone and all you have left is a shitty midscreen game and a corner game that's far too easy to escape.

His parry is basically a joke, even if the sub player scouts that you're baiting it, they haven't got enough to gain on that sort of read. It doesn't recover fast enough from deflecting projectiles. The aura should act like blood gods defence totem really.

Unbreakable is a dream, in reality it's the King of dog shite.

:DOGE

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
In what way? Kano is my kryptonite so any and all anti-Kano advice is godlike for me. Does EX-parry work against an EX-knives frame trap?
The fact that Cybernetic's zoning becomes irrelevant since he can just aura up and not give a damn. Why do people always talk about the rushdown parts of Cybernetic? Lol

DDutchguy

The fact that Cybernetic's zoning becomes irrelevant since he can just aura up and not give a damn. Why do people always talk about the rushdown parts of Cybernetic? Lol
Have only faced one really good Cybernetic, who wasn't that much into kniving all day but instead had godlike footsies to whiff punish all of my moves. As such I don;t know yet how much of a pain Cyber-zoning is.

Thing with Aura is, as others have mentioned in this thread, that the opponent still gets meter when you aura up. Then again, it would be kinda dumb if Unbreakable could just sit fullscreen, crouch block and nullify any and all benefit to a zoning game.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
So sick of ppl saying aura up and eat projectiles , that will not win a fight , eventually aura is gonna wear off and your going to eat Kanos knives while u try to aura up again , aura is useless against zoners and even worst for pressure characters cuz while your blocking there building meter
All unbreakable does is prolong your ass whooping

DDutchguy

So sick of ppl saying aura up and eat projectiles , that will not win a fight , eventually aura is gonna wear off and your going to eat Kanos knives while u try to aura up again , aura is useless against zoners and even worst for pressure characters cuz while your blocking there building meter
Can't believe I forgot the timer on Aura, very valid point. Aura isn't useless against zoners, it helps you get in without taking any damage on the way there. Imagine if Summoner Quan has you fullscreen and EX-rune's the shit out of you with a bat coming at you half the time. Once saw M2Dave play a zoning Summoner, it does noteworthy chip that Unbreakable can nullify.

DDutchguy

I mean it's not great but something lol. That's probably the thing with Unbreakable, the stuff you get is okay while Cryomancer gets stuff that's good and Grandmaster just kicks all sorts of ass.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Can't believe I forgot the timer on Aura, very valid point. Aura isn't useless against zoners, it helps you get in without taking any damage on the way there. Imagine if Summoner Quan has you fullscreen and EX-rune's the shit out of you with a bat coming at you half the time. Once saw M2Dave play a zoning Summoner, it does noteworthy chip that Unbreakable can nullify.
Icy slide gets you in when your getting full screen zoned , not aura , it might save you a points of health on the way in but it's not gonna change weather you win the match or not

Youphemism

Have only faced one really good Cybernetic, who wasn't that much into kniving all day but instead had godlike footsies to whiff punish all of my moves. As such I don;t know yet how much of a pain Cyber-zoning is.

Thing with Aura is, as others have mentioned in this thread, that the opponent still gets meter when you aura up. Then again, it would be kinda dumb if Unbreakable could just sit fullscreen, crouch block and nullify any and all benefit to a zoning game.
Well yeah, that's how Cybernetic has to play against Unbreakable because his other main good variation tool (his zoning) becomes less powerful because of aura. Yeah he gets meter but he still has to open you up, footsies is the only way to do that for him since Unbreakable has good tools up close between his 50/50s and parry and the aura stops him doing damage by throwing knives.
Lol stop. Obviously aura is going to wear off but who cares? All you need to do against Cyber is block one projectile (1% chip, ouch) then you can put aura back up and sit back and wait. You're not going to "eat" anything. Putting up aura makes zoning less of a problem since projectiles aren't going to do any damage to him that way, making coming in more necessary for the opponent. No Cyber is going to zone all day, especially considering Sub can also just slide under knives and be right in your face. I feel like I'm explaining basic Unbreakable meta here which I shouldn't have to.

Youphemism

Point is negating chip isn't gonna win you the match , saving 5% life cuz u had aura up isn't helping anybody
Dude stop downplaying, zoners tend to do more than 5% chip over the course of a match. And not taking damage helps Sub Zero, is that even a talking point? Obviously you're not going to make the entire match sitting there negating chip, the opponent is going to come in anyway because they can't zone because it isn't worth it since you have aura up.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
if was playing against someone using unbreakable and all they did was throw aura and block I would just keep zoning and get my damage whenever aura goes down , as sub your being pressured not the zoner , they have no reason to run in , sub is the one who has to break the pressure

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Well yeah, that's how Cybernetic has to play against Unbreakable because his other main good variation tool (his zoning) becomes less powerful because of aura. Yeah he gets meter but he still has to open you up, footsies is the only way to do that for him since Unbreakable has good tools up close between his 50/50s and parry and the aura stops him doing damage by throwing knives.

Lol stop. Obviously aura is going to wear off but who cares? All you need to do against Cyber is block one projectile (1% chip, ouch) then you can put aura back up and sit back and wait. You're not going to "eat" anything. Putting up aura makes zoning less of a problem since projectiles aren't going to do any damage to him that way, making coming in more necessary for the opponent. No Cyber is going to zone all day, especially considering Sub can also just slide under knives and be right in your face. I feel like I'm explaining basic Unbreakable meta here which I shouldn't have to.
Basic unbreakable meta?
There is no basic unbreakable meta because he has no tools to help you win the fight, parry is too much risk for little reward and aura just lets you be a punching bag
Now ex aura can make a big difference to level the playing field as far as damage goes but sub just doesn't build meter fast enough to make it a useable strategy

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
I think the balancing act of aura use is what makes him tough to play. On one hand, it's a good defensive option since it negates chip. On the other, it's your best tool for getting any worthwhile damage offensively by extending combos and setting up 50/50s using f4 ex aura. So while the move is versatile, it also gives the character a bit of an identity crisis.

I've tried playing offensive early on to get a life lead, then sitting back with aura up. But then I'm essentially just letting my opponent either build meter or go for a 50/50. I've had much better results simply playing this variation offensively, using aura to set up pressure and 50/50s.

Tldr: this is mkx it's a game of offense. It's going to be hard to success by sitting back and turtling even with aura

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Ex clone is probably the best parry in the game I think. Yeah you're right, bad execution can get you cloned.

Sub zero has pretty shitty options midscreen, that's why the clone is so powerful in the corner, take away the clone and all you have left is a shitty midscreen game and a corner game that's far too easy to escape.

His parry is basically a joke, even if the sub player scouts that you're baiting it, they haven't got enough to gain on that sort of read. It doesn't recover fast enough from deflecting projectiles. The aura should act like blood gods defence totem really.

Unbreakable is a dream, in reality it's the King of dog shite.

:DOGE
In a nutshell. Yes.

But, because Unbreakable doesn't do anything better than what his other variations do, there is no reason for it.

It needs super serious buffs, and you don't need to be an NRS dev to see it...although, I'm not sure they think anything is wrong with it.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I use it against, Tanya, V'Vorah, Liu Kang, etc. I like to make them think twice about pressuring me so I get out easily. Also the chip negation/ damage decrease has let me survive and make some pretty nice comebacks. In it's current state though, Unbreakable definitely need some fixes on parry and more strings to utilize parry. Particulary, meter building from parrying projectiles, less recovery on parry, and longer time on aura/ make aura heal.

SEN WIIISE

Kall the Kid, King Khanum!
I mean you can use meter to combo get extended damage or make strings safe. Depending on how and when you use Mb.db3.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
All the while kano builds meter and sub gains jack shit. When he decides to run in he will have more meter and he has better damage and better options up close. Sub should gain meter with blocked attacks while aura is up, if Kotal can sub should. Or the aura should negate meter build. The no chip thing is really cool but it does absolutely nothing to give sub the advantage like his other variations can.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I use it against, Tanya, V'Vorah, Liu Kang, etc. I like to make them think twice about pressuring me so I get out easily. Also the chip negation/ damage decrease has let me survive and make some pretty nice comebacks. In it's current state though, Unbreakable definitely need some fixes on parry and more strings to utilize parry. Particulary, meter building from parrying projectiles, less recovery on parry, and longer time on aura/ make aura heal.
LOL Liu Kang doesn't need to go in on unbreakable.