What's new

Question - Unbreakable Does Unbreakable do anything for Sub-Zero?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I use 123 xx slide for enders instead of b12 burst though for the corner carry and the hard knockdown.

Unless I wanted to milk every bit of damage.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Ima b12burst guy myself , I play a lot of no variation and it's a good way to squeeze every bit of damage , just wish it would connect after a b2 run

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
The thing with Unbreakable's parry is that if you make the right read, you get 20-25% for it. If you don't you get full combo punished for the opponent's highest damaging punisher. The risk/reward ratio just isn't right for a move that is integral to the variation. I'll say that when it comes to other parries in the game, Unbreakable is the only one to get a full combo for it. But as I said it's incredibly risky to perform.

Edit: Spelling error fixed
Sonya's parry meterless doesn't get damage good damage. Kitana's parry while you can hold it for a while gets like 19%. Liu kang gets a decent amount and all the liu/sonya/kitana players will tell you that their parry is viable. Want to know the differences between these parries and yours? You actually can parry lows while these characters can't(sonya can't even parry throws anymore). So, i just want to know why sub zero players are so adamant about it being bad. You can parry projectiles, only kitana and kenshi can specifically do that and yet again kitana's start up is infinite worse then parry.

Sub-zero needs a better recovery on projectiles. That's it, this variation is viable. Besides most sub-zeros use this variation all wrong anyways.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I find that ending things in burst puts me right where I want to be with sub , not to close to have to deal with wake ups but not to far to get out zoned

exflyingbooty

Oh wow why don't you teach us how to use it then, master?
I fixed what i said, everytime i've dealt with an unbreakable sub-zero all i see is offensive play. Literally string into parry which isn't that good or aura cancels(which are good) He can literally force people to do things in neutral or to make a move but very rarely do i ever see just him doing ice aura after an iceball into counter zoning. There's a lot unexplored with the character and yet i don't ever see an effort.

after two matches, they switch to cryomancer.

Braindead

I fixed what i said, everytime i've dealt with an unbreakable sub-zero all i see is offensive play. Literally string into parry which isn't that good or aura cancels(which are good) He can literally force people to do things in neutral or to make a move but very rarely do i ever see just him doing ice aura after an iceball into counter zoning. There's a lot unexplored with the character and yet i don't ever see an effort.

after two matches, they switch to cryomancer.
Fair enough. I do everything you said and I tried much more. I reserve my opinions about his viability, because almost everyone here will disagree with me and I don't feel like arguing with people who already have their minds set and won't change their opinions, but I'll say this at least; after the buffs, I haven't come across any MU where it's favourable to pick Unbreakable over the other 2 variations. The other 2 variations do what Unbreakable wants to do, and they do it better.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
With all the talk of sub zero buffs everyone comes up with , you know what I want?
I want b2 to combo after b33
So then you could b33d4 for the low or b33b2 for the overhead

exflyingbooty

Fair enough. I do everything you said and I tried much more. I reserve my opinions about his viability, because almost everyone here will disagree with me and I don't feel like arguing with people who already have their minds set and won't change their opinions, but I'll say this at least; after the buffs, I haven't come across any MU where it's favourable to pick Unbreakable over the other 2 variations. The other 2 variations do what Unbreakable wants to do, and they do it better.
fair enough, but let me ask this. It may not be favorable to pick unbreakable and are the mu's any worse when you do pick it?

Braindead

fair enough, but let me ask this. It may not be favorable to pick unbreakable and are the mu's any worse when you do pick it?
I believe so. GM with his clone makes MUs a lot better than Unbreakable and his tools. I'm not talking a 3-7 becomes a 7-3, but stuff like 6-4 for GM becomes 5-5 with Unbreakable can very easily occur.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Sonya's parry meterless doesn't get damage good damage. Kitana's parry while you can hold it for a while gets like 19%. Liu kang gets a decent amount and all the liu/sonya/kitana players will tell you that their parry is viable. Want to know the differences between these parries and yours? You actually can parry lows while these characters can't(sonya can't even parry throws anymore). So, i just want to know why sub zero players are so adamant about it being bad. You can parry projectiles, only kitana and kenshi can specifically do that and yet again kitana's start up is infinite worse then parry.

Sub-zero needs a better recovery on projectiles. That's it, this variation is viable. Besides most sub-zeros use this variation all wrong anyways.
I'm not saying this variation isn't viable, because it is, but Unbreakable's issue is mostly that Cryomancer and Grandmaster are just better picks. Cryomancer yields higher damage than Unbreakable both midscreen and in the corner without needing good execution to get worth-while damage like you need with Unbreakable. Grandmaster's clone is a better parry really. Much less risk, opponent is frozen in the same way they would be with the parry and leads to insane corner damage.

So since (in my opinion) the parry is a sub-par tool, though it's swaggy as fuck, which is why I play Unbreakable. Frozen Aura can be quite useful in certain matchups (Tanya, Johnny Cage) and the damage reduction on EX-aura is noteworthy enough. Regular frozen aura cancels however are - besides I think F4 (slightly plus) and EX-aura cancels are also mostly - besides B12 abd F4, which I believe are 0 and +14 respectively. Besides major swag points, the other variations are the better choice.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Unbreakable is the best choice against Cybernetic so......that's a thing.

DDutchguy

Unbreakable is the best choice against Cybernetic so......that's a thing.
In what way? Kano is my kryptonite so any and all anti-Kano advice is godlike for me. Does EX-parry work against an EX-knives frame trap?

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
even blood god does much better defensively than unbreakable

some fixes need to be done for this variation to work, otherwise its dead.

DDutchguy

I think unbreakable does well against df liu kang
Probably yeah. In general Frozen Aura does put up a good defense against characters with chip damage shenanigans, though it may make the opponent more likely to do throws (which you may be able to parry on a read lol).