What's new

Question - Unbreakable Does Unbreakable do anything for Sub-Zero?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I use it against, Tanya, V'Vorah, Liu Kang, etc. I like to make them think twice about pressuring me so I get out easily. Also the chip negation/ damage decrease has let me survive and make some pretty nice comebacks. In it's current state though, Unbreakable definitely need some fixes on parry and more strings to utilize parry. Particulary, meter building from parrying projectiles, less recovery on parry, and longer time on aura/ make aura heal.
Grandmaster does just fine against Tanya and Liu Kang, they are pretty much even matchups. D'Vorah is gonna rape Sub no matter which variation tho, but cryo is probably best for her. I agree with the rest of the post 100%.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
All the while kano builds meter and sub gains jack shit. When he decides to run in he will have more meter and he has better damage and better options up close. Sub should gain meter with blocked attacks while aura is up, if Kotal can sub should. Or the aura should negate meter build. The no chip thing is really cool but it does absolutely nothing to give sub the advantage like his other variations can.
Kano builds half a bar max before you don't have to deal with any more if you're playing the matchup correctly. Cybernetic only does more damage than Unbreakable with meter, Unbreakable does more meterless. Cybernetic's meterless output is around 28% and metered output is about 34%, Unbreakable gets 32% meterless. Also Cybernetic doesn't have better options up close, you have an overhead and low starter for one thing never mind a 7 frame starter. I agree aura needs buffed but that's a different thing. Unbreakable's aura and parry make it harder for Cybernetic than Grandmaster and Cryomancer, that was the main point.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Kano builds half a bar max before you don't have to deal with any more if you're playing the matchup correctly. Cybernetic only does more damage than Unbreakable with meter, Unbreakable does more meterless. Cybernetic's meterless output is around 28% and metered output is about 34%, Unbreakable gets 32% meterless. Also Cybernetic doesn't have better options up close, you have an overhead and low starter for one thing never mind a 7 frame starter. I agree aura needs buffed but that's a different thing. Unbreakable's aura and parry make it harder for Cybernetic than Grandmaster and Cryomancer, that was the main point.
Good points. Id still prefer grandmaster and cryomancer though. Kanos zoning isnt super hard to get around and once youre in, you dont need to rely on something as risky as the parry. Cry with the crazy damage and grandmaster with the klone and the corner game just feel more solid and complete. Ill be the first to admit i dont know a lot about the UB vs cyber matchup since i would use grandmaster for mostly all matchups. Thanks for the detailed reply to this thread and ill think about it.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Good points. Id still prefer grandmaster and cryomancer though. Kanos zoning isnt super hard to get around and once youre in, you dont need to rely on something as risky as the parry. Cry with the crazy damage and grandmaster with the klone and the corner game just feel more solid and complete. Ill be the first to admit i dont know a lot about the UB vs cyber matchup since i would use grandmaster for mostly all matchups. Thanks for the detailed reply to this thread and ill think about it.
No problemo, this is one matchup I've played quite a few times :) I wouldn't pick Grandmaster for this matchup tbh, the clone just gets nullified by knives. And if Sub thinks of hiding behind clone and doing an armoured move through knives to get in then ex knives not only goes through the clone, it also shreds the armour AND the third knife hits Sub lol. I think Unbreakable and Cryomancer are better choices, Unbreakable because it makes his zoning less effective (chip is still chip, any damage you can avoid taking is good) and therefore brings down Cybernetic's overall damage slightly and because you can mix up your close up game with the threat of parry and Cryomancer because of the higher damage output and 2 bar "vortex" I guess you can call it lol. I just think Grandmaster is tougher since every clone outside the corner becomes useless and he's not getting much started unless he manages to open Kano up and get him to the corner. Grandmaster's more complete in terms of tools in general but for this matchup I just don't see it being Sub's best choice.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
No problemo, this is one matchup I've played quite a few times :) I wouldn't pick Grandmaster for this matchup tbh, the clone just gets nullified by knives. And if Sub thinks of hiding behind clone and doing an armoured move through knives to get in then ex knives not only goes through the clone, it also shreds the armour AND the third knife hits Sub lol. I think Unbreakable and Cryomancer are better choices, Unbreakable because it makes his zoning less effective (chip is still chip, any damage you can avoid taking is good) and therefore brings down Cybernetic's overall damage slightly and because you can mix up your close up game with the threat of parry and Cryomancer because of the higher damage output and 2 bar "vortex" I guess you can call it lol. I just think Grandmaster is tougher since every clone outside the corner becomes useless and he's not getting much started unless he manages to open Kano up and get him to the corner. Grandmaster's more complete in terms of tools in general but for this matchup I just don't see it being Sub's best choice.
I only play against a cutthroat and can roll him over because the properties of that variations knife and well.. Slide gives no fucks. Ill probably go cryo for cyber in the future. Unless by some ungodly reason i decide to learn UB then i guess ill be able to handle kanos.