What's new

Question Does Simple = Easy to use?

No, it just means their moves are easy to pull off. It doesn't mean you know how to take full advantage of them or how they should be played.

Easy moves =/= Easy victories.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
simple does = easy to use
but a character can be easy to use and still not be that good
guile might be a good example but i dont know how good he is in the latest version

I think a simple character is an easy to use character but usually harder to win with. You was talking about Ryu,anyone can do Hadouken and DPs etc and all around his commands and general gameplan of controlling the mid range is quite simple and easily understandable.

I guess what i want to say is that simpler character usually can't gimmick it out of a hard situation at high level like a more options complicated characters can.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I hate that his thing is supposed to be super high damage at the cost of speed but then you have all these other characters that do just as good if not better damage while being so much faster. I wish grundy was ass on release like Bane was so he would've gotten overbuffed
I don't know a lot of characters that can do 80% midscreen for 2 bars.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I don't know a lot of characters that can do 80% midscreen for 2 bars.
Fair enough, as good or better damage is hyperbole, but what good is 80% midscreen when you're so slow you can't hit anyone? Why not settle for a character that does in the neighborhood of 40-45% and is faster and better at opening your opponent up?

To me, the biggest determinant of "easy to use" is how well rounded they are.

There's a reason you go on Killer instinct and only see Jago

Then you go online in SF4 and see an army of Ryu

And Injustice online it's Batman and Superman

People find characters that don't have to deal with a major meta-disadvantage are the easiest to use. Zoning characters have difficulty up close, Rushdown characters have difficulty full-screen, but the well rounded characters are always in the fight, and that's what makes them easy to use.

However, that doesn't make them "simple". Batman is easy to use, because he's well-rounded, just like Jago, and Ryu- but they're not simple because they have deep tactics and strategies.

That's the difference

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
The way I see it ppl want easy but also want S tier characters so they think they are "Good" lol smh it takes skill regardless.

RM Truth

Fair enough, as good or better damage is hyperbole, but what good is 80% midscreen when you're so slow you can't hit anyone? Why not settle for a character that does in the neighborhood of 40-45% and is faster and better at opening your opponent up?
Not saying one is better than the other. Just saying that there's a trade off for him being that sluggish. Also, I'd be really scared of a character that can do 80% damage if they could hit me really easily.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Not saying one is better than the other. Just saying that there's a trade off for him being that sluggish. Also, I'd be really scared of a character that can do 80% damage if they could hit me really easily.
My whole point is just that they made grundy that way, and that's fine. But then fucking Bane or Flash who aren't dealing with a sluggish trade off are doing 50 and 60% combos and it just doesn't seem fair. #gruffbundy

RM Truth

My whole point is just that they made grundy that way, and that's fine. But then fucking Bane or Flash who aren't dealing with a sluggish trade off are doing 50 and 60% combos and it just doesn't seem fair. #gruffbundy
They need it bro.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I run into people all the time online that rage on me when i pick dd. They bitch and say hes braindead and its just the character winning. They eventually try to mirror match you and 90% of the time it doesnt end well for them. The mirror matches say it all in this game.

9_Lives

Noob
Simple vs. Easy to win with is a better distinction. Simple = easy to learn/use/pickup to me, but falls in a hole against op characters that are harder to learn/use/pick up. But then there are characters that are both simple and easy to win with. On the flip side, there are characters that are both complex and hard to win with. Kind of a cool thing about fg's, there are all kinds of different characters and play styles so you can have two polar opposites enjoy the same game. What really matters in the end is how much practice each player put into their character, mu knowledge, fundamental understanding of spacing and other things. This is why I lose all the time. XD

Your question is too vague. Define simple. Are you referring to the simplicity of the characters execution requirements? The simplicity of the characters game plan? Are you referring to something else entirely? Please be more specific.

However, to answer your question I'd have to say yes, simple means easy to use. It means you can pick up the character and within minutes of playing be able to get things going. In Batman's case any shmuck can pick him up, call bats, release bats, dash in and get some j2's. Would it work in tournament setting? That depends on your opponent but I'll wager you would have to be a bit more creative than that to get out of pools.