What's new

Does anyone here play Pokemon competitively?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i don't play the card game....havent played it in a loooong time, i do still like the gb, gba, and ds games tho.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ok, so... you know you suck when your goal during a match is to faint at least one of the opponent's pokemon.

Tired of losing so badly!

Someone teach me how to build a team please? What are the roles you NEED to have on the team.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Ok, so... you know you suck when your goal during a match is to faint at least one of the opponent's pokemon.

Tired of losing so badly!

Someone teach me how to build a team please? What are the roles you NEED to have on the team.

Make your team all around and make sure to have a counter for everything. If you have a team made of all Fire pokemon, you're gonna get stomped by one Blastoise. 5 Firepokemon and one Electric will still lose, you need to have a large amounts of types. But having too many makes you unpredictable to even yourself.

Or you can just get Mew and pull Nasty Plot and Psychic >_> FrothyOmen

When i build a team, i try to have a balanced team that will meet everyone one of the more dangerous strategies that come up. A tank that can take tons of damage, a fast pokemon to make sure you strike first, etc. Make sure your team has a pokemon or two that have staying power (Roost or Recover for example)

Of course you're going to have weaknesses, but your Pokemon team is just that: A Team. You need to find a way to make sure the pokemon can counter their partner's weaknesses as well.

What is your current team? Mine (still a work in progress) is Azumarill, Crobat, Krookodile, Weavile, Victini, SableEye.
Maybe I'm not the best to say, but I think I'm starting to get the concept of how the game works.

Finally, here
http://pokemondb.net/type

Keep that in another tab or something in order to remember what type is good against what and work towards your strengths and against your opponent's weaknesses.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Team building is dependent on the type of team you want to use. If you want to go hyper offense, you have to come up with a team that keeps offensive momentum, which includes being able to force out opponents to set up various entry hazards and what not.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
DragonPick

I always put together a bunch of different types together. I would never do an all fire team or anything, but that's where my knowledge ends. Im not real sure on how to set up a team. And my biggest problem is I don't like using cutesy Pokemon. Lol

The team I made tonight was machamp, bisharp, arcanine, gallade, kingdra, and rhydon.

But see, I don't really know how to put a team together.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
The team I made tonight was machamp, bisharp, arcanine, gallade, kingdra, and rhydon.
Ok, the problem with this team, I think, is that the defense is pretty bad on average. Outside of Rhydon the defense is all average or worse. It's insanely offensive, I think you need more defense.

Try Cresselia and Dusknoir, they have pretty good defense. Also you might want someone on your team who can keep the others healthy.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ok, the problem with this team, I think, is that the defense is pretty bad on average. Outside of Rhydon the defense is all average or worse. It's insanely offensive, I think you need more defense.

Try Cresselia and Dusknoir, they have pretty good defense. Also you might want someone on your team who can keep the others healthy.
What would an example of that be?

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
What would an example of that be?
Well, more or less, pokemon that can use U Turn, Baton Pass, Protect, stuff like that. Pokemon that can use baton pass can buff themself, then trade to another pokemon with their buffs, so basically give a strong pokemon more power than they already have or fix their weaknesses.

In terms of keeping others healthy you'd want a pokemon like blissey who can use the move wish (heals whatever pokemon is on your side of the screen the turn after the move is used) and (ideally) something like aromatherapy (removes status from all team members). It's not necessary, I usually don't run teams with it, but it's something you can do.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
In terms of keeping others healthy you'd want a pokemon like blissey who can use the move wish (heals whatever pokemon is on your side of the screen the turn after the move is used) and (ideally) something like aromatherapy (removes status from all team members). It's not necessary, I usually don't run teams with it, but it's something you can do.
In these pokemon battles, can your pokemon hold items like leftovers?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
DragonPick
THTB
FrothyOmen

I think I finally have a decent UU team:

Raikou to lead
Blastoise to wall
Nidoking to special sweep
Arcanine to be defensive with good attack and speed
Honchkrow to physical sweep
Bisharp to look awesome (lol)

what do you guys think?

EDIT: update... LOL the last 3 people have rage quick with Raikou still on the field! XD

Blastoise isn't the sturdiest wall, however he's really good at handing out hax burns so he's pretty decent against physical sets if he gets a burn off. No longetivity though without wish support. I think that I could beat you out pretty easily with a mixed stall/phasing team, as you don't have very much to deal with that other than priority on arcanine. Its OK to not counter everything as that would make your team weak at doing any one individual thing, but you've gotta have a gameplan for that. If you want to play thursday afternoon or anytime after that I can throw together a team to show you how you're going to get stalled/phased to death

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers2678275
I recreated the Riolu sweep but against Ubers. If you have a couple minutes it's a pretty epic sweep lol

Edit: My name on Showdown is INJUSTICE. I pretty much only play OU though :/
Edit#2: Riolu sweep is a super gimmick and has a lot of ways around it but it's so satisfying when you pull it off against a team of Legendaries.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers2678275
I recreated the Riolu sweep but against Ubers. If you have a couple minutes it's a pretty epic sweep lol

Edit: My name on Showdown is INJUSTICE. I pretty much only play OU though :/
Edit#2: Riolu sweep is a super gimmick and has a lot of ways around it but it's so satisfying when you pull it off against a team of Legendaries.
Even with team preview he let his extremespeed user die and tried to rapid spin jellicent, what is this madness?

Good riolu sweep though, ive been caught once or twice by people using this tactic, its filth but theres alot of speedy priority users (or just protect users) that will rinse this tactic. Good game though knowledge is power and in this case the other guy just didnt see it coming.