What's new

Doctor Fate Matchup Discussion

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
I still think the matchup against supergirl is in her favor. Her d1 goes under nearly all of his normals, if you both throw a projectile at the same time she'll recover in time to block while you get knocked down, if she air dashes on your wakeup you get full combo punished, MB teleport full combo punishes all your ranged options and if they know the matchup they can combo after the MB teleport in such a way that they'll avoid running into your MB orb. I could be wrong but I definitely don't think it's in our favor. Also, what are deadshot's top three worst matchups? The deadshot matchup isn't just bad, it's quite possibly one of the most unpleasant things I've experienced in a game.
Yeah, i'm also thinking Supergirl beats Fate.

am the i only one that doesn't lose to supergirl? like i've only ever fought one that beat me ever since i learned to block teleport

of course, i'm also the one that gets bodied by scarecrow and atrocitus (granted, it was deoxys and rewind)

babalook

Noob
Fate's bad MUs IMO:

- Superman

- Supergirl

- Deadshot

MAYBE Catwoman, Cheetah and Batman.
Agreed, the start of the match against batman is very weird since he has three bats and is within dashing/jumping range. If he throws his 3 bats out the second he sees you do something you'll end up getting full combo punished and brought closer to the corner. When in the corner it's probably better to delay wakeup instead of glyph since it ruins a lot of his crossup setups, if he gives you a second to breath MB roll out of there. I actually think this might be in our favor if you're really comfortable against his options (like how to take advantage of the nerfed frame advantage after MB batrang). Idk how to anti air crossup Ji2 though. Never played a good cheetah or catwoman, I don't think superman is bad at all just don't use trait (or fireballs) when zoning and once they realize they aren't going to win the zoning battle and start approaching, start using trait, MB orbs, and f2 MB glyph to bait f23. I've been using things like (while in trait) f2 df3 walk up grab/b1d3db2 with a lot of success lately, the df3 can be jumped or back dashed but everyone expects the glyph and if they block the ankh 112db2 jails and Ji3 is basically a safe jump that hits in front if they stand block the ankh and behind if they crouch block it.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Just to throw my 2cents on his losing mu's IMO,
Deadshot
Superman
Supergirl (had even before last patch)
Batman

Unsure on Catwoman as have no Catwoman to play regularly, same cheetah that her name being thrown about ATM,

Sub zero actually does pretty well vs fate IMO (that's coming from playing my from both sides)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
My opinion on his losing matchups are
Deadshot(3-7)
Batman(4-6)
Superman(4-6)
Supergirl(4-6)
Catwoman(4-6)

I feel that a lot of the stuff Catwoman did to Fate pre patch she still does, she can't just go straight through his zoning anymore, I do think her tools are still really good for fighting Fate. He is super good right now, I think he can potentially win against everyone but Deadshot, I wouldn't even bother playing that one.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Ok after watching Sonicfox play captain cold at Viennality, we need to re-evaluate the captain cold matchup because I'm convinced its not a 7-3 anymore.

DarksydeDash

It could be like 6-4 now, but also Sonic Fox using a character people are most likely somewhat unprepared for is something to consider.
I have never seen a captain cold just charge trait and block perfect at the same time, we also have to consider how Fate handles the lvl 2 trait because on paper it looks horrible.

babalook

Noob
what about atrocitus, he can really abuse blood puddle against us, at mid screen if it trades with fireball he gets a meterless combo that drags us to the corner. We also have to waste meter on pushblock and MB fireball when he activates trait and his b23 and f2 shit tend to beat our f2 in the footsies game. Every ankh summon or orb is a risk due to blood puddle. Matchup feels rough.

fate's new b2 is really good at stuffing batman. there are two FT3s from hometown heroes i was in on twitch today and between that and the 2 hour set last night - i'm winning far more against the character than i used to. i'm honestly throwing out b2s as a deterrent for even thinking about jumping

i actually don't believe that supergirl is a bad matchup at all, i believe it's even - but i also play differently than others from what i hear.

IMO our bad matchups are:

• deadshot 3-7 at best (pick a new character)
  • superman soft 4-6 (play at half-screen, make him want to stay on the ground and then bait jumps with orbs so you can hit j1 and convert, then hit him with fireballs as he stands up)
  • catwoman soft 4-6 (don't play the f2 game, wait to hit with d1-glyph unless you start seeing a pattern. mb glyph to push full screen and start throwing out orbs now that they can't armor through it)
  • cheetah soft 4-6 (don't fall into a block pattern or hold this tick throw. stand inside orbs, punish foolishness with b2)
At this point most of the games I lose are just me getting outclassed (rewind's atrocitus) or me not having enough experience (vs any actually good scarecrow)

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Deadshot supergirl maybe maybe catwoman seem like the only rough ones
What about Batman? The thing with Batman to me is that his rushdown game is very oppresive... very easy for him to get the life lead then he can outzone Fate. outzone by the trades i mean :p

Last edited:

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
What about Batman? The thing with Batman to me is that his rushdown game is very oppresive... very easy for him to get the life lead then he can outzone Fate. outzone by the trades i mean :p
He got nerfed, his pressure is less effective now then it used to be. U just gotta be really on point and definently lab it out and practice blocking. 6-4 pre patch could be deemed to change now

check this video out and look for vs Icarus (my buddy is the batman player). We had to go against each other twice today, so you'll see two sets of FT3. It might give you some ideas, just don't make dumb mistakes like me and it'll be even better.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164941371

at first glance, is starfire going to be another bad matchup from a mechanical standpoint?

i'm genuinely tired of people that can fly/float to avoid fireballs while hitting me

(not taking into account damage, frames, etc. purely from a mechanical stand point since im not watching stream nor am i going to be the 500th person in Seattle using her)

DarksydeDash

@DarksydeDash any tips on the wonder woman matchup?
Abuse the fact she can't parry ankhs and know her shield toss range. Always remember that regardless of what she does with shield toss, she can't convert it into a full combo as long as you have an orb out. Play patient and out chip her after blocking a shield. Up close, she has no advancing strings so we can abuse F2 glyph to put us in prime position for a whiff punishing tool. Be aware that Wonder Woman players can and will abuse air shield toss to stay airborne over any projectiles fired or orbs made. You can counter this by simply jumping back or making a read with a forward j1. Don't forget to abuse push block if she manages to get in.

babalook

Noob
HUGE shout-outs to @OmGxBdON for his AMAZING performance at War of The Gods this week. Second place :D

dude, that 2 ankhs conversion was fucking godlike. never seen that :eek::cool:
That Catwoman matchup looks pretty rough, MB orb barely seems to slow her down. Didn't know she can use her matrix dodge to avoid ankhs plus that low whip and MB b3. Crazy comebacks from bdon though, that healing orb shit was hilarious.