What's new

DOA6 Discussion Thread

I love that grapplers are so good in this game. I feel fairly empowered against the army of Ninjas online. Holy shit Bayman's DDT is crazy if you get the whole chain.

Changes to online still badly needed though. 1 Online mode is just not enough. Especially given it's ranked which is best of three max- and that's if you're lucky enough to find someone who want just peace out after one loss or any game close enough to give them the slightest concern they won't win the next match.

Also wtf is this reward system. "Congrats on winning that match, here's 1/10th of a costume for a character you don't play" And that's with the "10x costume parts multiplier" supposedly running until March 10th.

^ like seriously, this has to be a joke right?

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I can't find any evidence that there is a proper DOA6 thread, so I'm crawling back into this one.

I like playing this when it's in training mode or against the CPU. People are nuts, and I'm not sure I'm up for the needed level of adaptation. Going to give it some time, but there are like two people with decent connections on PC and everyone wants to one-n-done even though we just going to get matched up again.

I know it's a dawn of time aspect of the game, but I hate the blocking being combined with hold. I have some much directional instinct from other games I end up doing holds 70% the time I just want to block. I'm trying to do directional blocking, but the button helps with low blocking and it just feels like a button block game and I can't get over it.

Frustrations aside, what is the point of "S"? There is already a mapping for the three button press, why are there two that are functionally the same? You can just hit the button combination in training and it will even display S instead which suggest to me they really are identical things.

Until you find a way to get them launched, you are always at risk of getting counter held right? Is it kind of a push your luck for damage thing? I feel like there is no time to breath and collect your composure in this game at all. You aren't even safe while in combo town. It makes it unusually stressful to play.

I feel like this game is going to be an abusive relationship for me. I really want to play it, but it makes me hate myself.

Positive side is the embedded frame data is the way things should be done. The last version of VF5 had it, DOA5 had it. This shouldn't be a such a rare feature of a game.
For holds, I use direction to block and when I know a certain string I'll just use the hold for that purpose I never block with it I find it a bit counter-intuitive.

For combos, the best thing to do is to stun them before going into the launch string because if you've noticed you can easily duck or block high hits in this game. So for example for Tina it would be :qtrKP to stun and PPPK to launch.

Overall it's a pretty cool fighting game to learn. You have time until MK11 drops, I would suggest trying out Hitomi or Tina.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm soooo bad at it lol

I've won maybe 6 total out of 30. I'm pretty much just a masher in this game.

I think my "main" so far is actually la mariposa (wasn't feeling mila). Still wanna try tina, christie, and kasumi. But I can't even combo with anyone yet, so I'm trying to stick with just one character.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
For holds, I use direction to block and when I know a certain string I'll just use the hold for that purpose I never block with it I find it a bit counter-intuitive.

For combos, the best thing to do is to stun them before going into the launch string because if you've noticed you can easily duck or block high hits in this game. So for example for Tina it would be :qtrKP to stun and PPPK to launch.

Overall it's a pretty cool fighting game to learn. You have time until MK11 drops, I would suggest trying out Hitomi or Tina.
I'm pretty hard core Kokoro at this point. I'm getting more into it as the day goes on. I'm really digging the 3.5 second load times on a PC SSD.

Some of the menu stuff drives me a little nuts like why is save replay in the way and why do I have to hit so many buttons to rematch. As hard as it is to earn even a color swap costume you end up fighting mirrors where you both look alike. I think some of that stuff that bothers me will get better as they work on it and I get used to it more.

Game wise it's running well, and I'm getting more used to it. Still getting blown up by dumb, but that's normal.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
omg, yes, going from fight to fight is sooooo annoying!! Completely agree. After the match you should just have a popup that says rematch or search. Why have to hit X 11 times to get to that? lol

RoGE

Noob
I'll most likely play it when the free to play version comes out. DoA5's f2p model was pretty dang solid so hopefully it's like that.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'll most likely play it when the free to play version comes out. DoA5's f2p model was pretty dang solid so hopefully it's like that.
I think the recently said they would do that at some point, but wouldn't say how long.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I love that grapplers are so good in this game. I feel fairly empowered against the army of Ninjas online. Holy shit Bayman's DDT is crazy if you get the whole chain.

Changes to online still badly needed though. 1 Online mode is just not enough. Especially given it's ranked which is best of three max- and that's if you're lucky enough to find someone who want just peace out after one loss or any game close enough to give them the slightest concern they won't win the next match.

Also wtf is this reward system. "Congrats on winning that match, here's 1/10th of a costume for a character you don't play" And that's with the "10x costume parts multiplier" supposedly running until March 10th.

^ like seriously, this has to be a joke right?
You don't get a lot of costume pieces in Online, but in the story mode and in DOA Quest you get from 200-400 a pop. So don't expect to unlock costumes if all you want to play is online. They will have a lobby for online soon, as of now all we get is ranked which is honestly fine by me.

I'm soooo bad at it lol

I've won maybe 6 total out of 30. I'm pretty much just a masher in this game.

I think my "main" so far is actually la mariposa (wasn't feeling mila). Still wanna try tina, christie, and kasumi. But I can't even combo with anyone yet, so I'm trying to stick with just one character.
You should try Tina, I feel like her combos are simple enough when you're starting out. Try this:
PPPK+bT and as you land, do a dT and she'll do a follow-up grab and squeeze their throat with her legs. It does a hefty amount of damage. Hitomi is also good for beginners.

I'm pretty hard core Kokoro at this point. I'm getting more into it as the day goes on. I'm really digging the 3.5 second load times on a PC SSD.

Some of the menu stuff drives me a little nuts like why is save replay in the way and why do I have to hit so many buttons to rematch. As hard as it is to earn even a color swap costume you end up fighting mirrors where you both look alike. I think some of that stuff that bothers me will get better as they work on it and I get used to it more.

Game wise it's running well, and I'm getting more used to it. Still getting blown up by dumb, but that's normal.
Ahahaha yeah and if you want to save the match, you'll end up missing the timer to rematch the opponent, which is stupid. That's why I got the deluxe edition, more costumes to start with while you unlock the other ones. XD

EDIT: I changed the thread's title so anyone can come here to discuss the game, and I'll work on a Combo thread.

Last edited:
People use holds waaaaay too much online. Hi counter throws delete lifebars in this game.

And there's pretty little reason for me to use holds against a fair amount of the players online. They just keep pushing buttons. Why risk the guess when I can just hit 3P when their string is done I've got 36 frames of critical stun. It's actually building bad habits in me when I play some of the higher ranks and I forget I actually need to throw in some mix every now and then instead of relying on every button I press always being a free counterhit.

I love the game overall (always been a big fan of DOA), but I’m disappointed in the stages. None of them really stand out to me, and it’s worse since there’s so few of them overall.
omg this. Some of the stages look really bad.

Sweat, Chinese Festival, and Unforgettable in particular look pretty awful, likely because they were more or less copy-pasted from Last Round. It's clear there's a bunch of reused textures that they didn't clean up. Unforgettable might be the worst offender because while the schtick is cool, there's actually missing effects for some stage hazards. Launch someone off a car and you don't see the explosion, you just see someone magically fly up into the air as a result of making contact with a Honda Civic

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I changed the thread's title so anyone can come here to discuss the game, and I'll work on a Combo thread.
People use holds waaaaay too much online. Hi counter throws delete lifebars in this game.

And there's pretty little reason for me to use holds against a fair amount of the players online. They just keep pushing buttons. Why risk the guess when I can just hit 3P when their string is done I've got 36 frames of critical stun. It's actually building bad habits in me when I play some of the higher ranks and I forget I actually need to throw in some mix every now and then instead of relying on every button I press always being a free counterhit.
You can stun the opponent with one hit so they won't be able to hold while you continue your combo. I suggest finding out what they are for the character you play with it'll make your life easier.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I changed the thread's title so anyone can come here to discuss the game, and I'll work on a Combo thread.

You can stun the opponent with one hit so they won't be able to hold while you continue your combo. I suggest finding out what they are for the character you play with it'll make your life easier.
I thought hold was the only thing they could do when in critical stun.

I have one that leaves me something like plus 60 but I've had hold happy people get me when I move in for the combo, so I throw them.

I thought that was the mind game. Maybe I just took too long?

I'm not sure how to lab this thing. There isn't a record feature right? And why no infinity stage this time? I also miss the explore a command stuff where you press a button and it lists everything you can do from whatever you last input was. That was genius.

I have one that leaves me something like plus 60 but I've had hold happy people get me when I move in for the combo, so I throw them.

Nah, that's right. At least for critical stun.

And the damage bonus for throwing a holding enemy is pretty crazy. I get 115 damage with Bayman everytime someone tries to hold me. And that's not a chain throw. Untechable guaranteed damage but people will still try to mash out hold like crazy against grapplers.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

I'm not sure how to lab this thing. There isn't a record feature right? And why no infinity stage this time? I also miss the explore a command stuff where you press a button and it lists everything you can do from whatever you last input was. That was genius.
Ah yes my bad, then if they don't hold after the stun, then they'll be stuck in the combo. Either way, I don't see many people doing holds after a stun online which is weird. I guess it mixes them up? I don't know, I always use stuns before going in a combo and it works out well, usually.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You should try Tina, I feel like her combos are simple enough when you're starting out. Try this:
PPPK+bT and as you land, do a dT and she'll do a follow-up grab and squeeze their throat with her legs. It does a hefty amount of damage. Hitomi is also good for beginners.
I've tried a lot more characters since my last post. I'll grab a screenshot of my stats and throw it up in here so you guys can all get a good laugh haha.

I think I'm getting slightly better though. I've stopped mashing (for the most part, still do when I get frustrated lol) and now I'm blocking a lot more and doing DP into Throw, PPDK into PP, PP into throw, BPP into throw. Basically I'm throwing a lot to avoid getting held cause that was happening to me a lot. Also I use DS a lot to counter stuff on wakeup. Probably not a great plan, but it usually works and does good damage.

I guess my biggest problems are holding (basically if you hit me and I don't block it, or block wrong, I'm screwed til your combo ends) and doing any launching combos aside from PPPK into air throw with tina. lol

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Holy crap the successful guard stats. 32% success rate at blocking. I've got a severe problem there. I'm not totally surprised, but to have a number. Yikes.

Holy crap the successful guard stats. 32% success rate at blocking. I've got a severe problem there. I'm not totally surprised, but to have a number. Yikes.
Eh, I'm 38% for highs, 34% for mid, 1% for lows.

Lows feel pretty weak in this game and are usually - on hit so I really don't bother. Except for Helena. She feels like a mixup monster.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I've tried a lot more characters since my last post. I'll grab a screenshot of my stats and throw it up in here so you guys can all get a good laugh haha.

I think I'm getting slightly better though. I've stopped mashing (for the most part, still do when I get frustrated lol) and now I'm blocking a lot more and doing DP into Throw, PPDK into PP, PP into throw, BPP into throw. Basically I'm throwing a lot to avoid getting held cause that was happening to me a lot. Also I use DS a lot to counter stuff on wakeup. Probably not a great plan, but it usually works and does good damage.

I guess my biggest problems are holding (basically if you hit me and I don't block it, or block wrong, I'm screwed til your combo ends) and doing any launching combos aside from PPPK into air throw with tina. lol

La Mariposa seems like a quick, mix-up, Tina. I always get my ass handed to me when I fight her. Between her and Tina, who do you prefer playing as?

I didn't even know you could see those stats, I only looked at the ones shown on the main menu.

Eh, I'm 38% for highs, 34% for mid, 1% for lows.

Lows feel pretty weak in this game and are usually - on hit so I really don't bother. Except for Helena. She feels like a mixup monster.
Yeah, give that girl an inch and you're done for. You think she's gonna hit high so you hold that and then she hits low and then you think to yourself 'she'll definitely go for a low again', but nope it's a mid aaaaaand round's over.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
God I fucking hate ayane or whatever the hell her name is. Can't hit that bitch even if you block, she's too damn fast.

God I fucking hate ayane or whatever the hell her name is. Can't hit that bitch even if you block, she's too damn fast.
When she cancels into her spin you can interrupt with a standing jab. She's also got more holes but just keeping her honest on her spin shit made a big difference for me.

Also this game has deceptively low blockstun and pre-patch SFV levels of input lag so on block you need to input your reversal string way sooner than you'd expect.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
They nickname her the beyblade for a good reason. Be patient, don’t mash and try to hold her high kicks for big damage. You can also punish her with down punch and tame her beyblade spins.