What's new

DOA6 Discussion Thread

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
So, for the first time in a long time, I was able to play a beta of a game that felt almost finished. Finally, we have on our hands a game that will be great at launch. A game that won't need a 40 GB update on the first day and that offers a very good alternative to the FGC, imo.

I played this game all weekend long, alone and with friends on both PS4 and XBOX One. I can't say much about the character diversity and different move sets as I focused on my main, Tina, and of course watching my friend's matches with Ayane also gave me a good idea of how she played but here's an early review of the game for those who are wondering if they should pick it up or not.

Gameplay:

So far, it seems that the game is way more balanced than the previous versions, especially as a Tina main I remember the Ayane V Tina matchup being really cancer because her mid-juggle grabs were shit and overall not well optimized. This time around they are very smooth and in DOA6, if you have patience and punish big, you have a better chance to win against quicker opponents with grappler type characters. No character feels too overpowered as of now, except maybe Honoka.

If you're new to the DOA franchise, holds are parries that have different inputs depending on what type of hit you want to counter. They add another layer of depth in the game that I believe intermediate and advanced players will love learning this mechanic.

Transitions, wall hits look and feel great, especially in one particular stage where if you're thrown against a wall the bystanders will push you back in and you can either try to counter or the opponent will be able to continue a combo. You can also break through some floors, like on the ship arena, set fire to the hull by throwing your opponents in flaming barrels and fight in a pile of gold. In some stages, you can ride dinosaurs or send your opponents flying into a T-rex's mouth. It's pretty freaking great.

The only problem I found was during some of Tina's grapples when the enemy hit the ground there was no sound whatsoever, like her d3 on a knocked down opponent.

Graphics:
Overall very nice, in the beta I noticed that they were some problems will light shadows in areas that were surrounded by trees, it seemed way too bright in contrast to the rest of the lighting, especially on female player's hair. There are also some weird colors on men's chest when they start to get sweaty, I noticed it on Zack and Hayabusa's alternate costumes. Other than that, facial expressions look realistic during break blows (super moves), though payer's mouths don't seem to move that much when they talk which looks a bit weird.

Menu/Navigation:
The menus were pretty good, tho the buttons in online ranked are a bit confusing when you want to select a character to start playing online. It doesn't feel intuitive to have to press 2 to go to the character select screen, then 3 to select then 1 to confirm that selection and then 3 again to start searching for a match. It feels like a big useless detour.

I've also noticed on both PS4 and Xbox when you try to navigate outfits, characters and customization options with the thumbsticks on pads it freaks out and doesn't go in the right direction or just jumps 3-4 options at a time.

Music: FREAKING AWESOME. Have a listen :d

Verdict/TL;DR: It looks great, feels great and it's really fun to play both alone and with friends. It offers depth and it's hard enough to keep intermediate to pro players entertained while they learn their characters and the game's specific mechanics. It has a few bugs here and there which I'm sure will be easily fixed. I would classify this as a definite pre-order.

Video of my online ranked matches with Tina w/commentary:

EDIT: If you've played it, fill out this survey to tell team ninja if you found any bugs and how your experience was playing the game: https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/doa6_trial_na

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Are you on PS4? We Should play once it comes out.
Yes ma'am! But i dont think i will be giving this game a buy at launch. Been out all weekend so didnt really give it another shot, but my heart is saying to hold off and wait till it goes on sale. I still have SC6 and Kingdom Hearts to keep me occupied until MK11 :)

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yes ma'am! But i dont think i will be giving this game a buy at launch. Been out all weekend so didnt really give it another shot, but my heart is saying to hold off and wait till it goes on sale. I still have SC6 and Kingdom Hearts to keep me occupied until MK11 :)
Nice, how's the new KH? I have SC6 and Tekken but I don't know, I prefer DOA over them. It just holds a special place in my heart :p

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The only 3D game I've really played is Virtua Fighter. How does DOA compare, in terms of gameplay?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
The only 3D game I've really played is Virtua Fighter. How does DOA compare, in terms of gameplay?
Well its closest to VF compared to any other 3d fighter actually. In DoA5 there was VF characters as guest characters and you could play them nearly 1:1.

Gameplay system also very close to VF, biggest differences are the stun system, and the fact everyone is a counter master like Aoi.

Stun system is basically converting hits into stuns, and from the stuns you can milk more damage and go into launches.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Damn haven't played that game in a long time, I honestly never really liked it, I feel like it's slower and there aren't enough juggling options like in DOA.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Damn haven't played that game in a long time, I honestly never really liked it, I feel like it's slower and there aren't enough juggling options like in DOA.
I really love VF. The core foundation is the game is so simple yet so well crafted/tightly made, but at the same time the more you start to understand the system the more depth there ends up being.

I really hope Tekken, SC, and DOA can be or can continue to be successful, because hopefully it convinces Sega to get back in the FG scene with VF6.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I really love VF. The core foundation is the game is so simple yet so well crafted/tightly made, but at the same time the more you start to understand the system the more depth there ends up being.

I really hope Tekken, SC, and DOA can be or can continue to be successful, because hopefully it convinces Sega to get back in the FG scene with VF6.
I would love to see how they would make a new VF game. I think if anything, this is the best time to get back into the game with all these big FGs coming out.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK about the game. I played a few hours of the Beta over the weekend. I got totally bodied last beta, but started winning a fair amount this time around.

I feel like I want to play it, but more out of some masochistic self torture that doesn't feel healthy. Winning at best felt like a relief, and losing was uniquely infuriating among fighters. I wasn't feeling emotionally rewarded in an positive way by it. When I switched back over to SC6, I felt significantly better about the experience all around.

Technically, it was in a better place than the last beta. Having something so full featured to try was nice, but I wasn't wowed by the never ending march of LQ connections. Not sure how much of that is the game and how much was player setups, but it felt on average worse than what I've become accustomed to.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it, but when there are so many wonderful fighters that I wish I could play more of, it's hard to know where I'm going to squeeze DOA6 in. I was really hoping I would bond to it more. I was way more excited for it than what everyone else is hyped up around here for.

VF6 really is the only giant, gaping hole in the fighting game world right now. At the very least if we could have an updated VF5, that would be something. On the DOA side, the VF characters actually translated pretty well over to DOA5. Too bad that was last game and now that dream is dead.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
IDK about the game. I played a few hours of the Beta over the weekend. I got totally bodied last beta, but started winning a fair amount this time around.

I feel like I want to play it, but more out of some masochistic self torture that doesn't feel healthy. Winning at best felt like a relief, and losing was uniquely infuriating among fighters. I wasn't feeling emotionally rewarded in an positive way by it. When I switched back over to SC6, I felt significantly better about the experience all around.

Technically, it was in a better place than the last beta. Having something so full featured to try was nice, but I wasn't wowed by the never ending march of LQ connections. Not sure how much of that is the game and how much was player setups, but it felt on average worse than what I've become accustomed to.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it, but when there are so many wonderful fighters that I wish I could play more of, it's hard to know where I'm going to squeeze DOA6 in. I was really hoping I would bond to it more. I was way more excited for it than what everyone else is hyped up around here for.
Damn really? Winning matches felt like the best thing ever, but again I've been playing DOA for a while and seeing my main now play this smoothly was just a great experience for me. Of course, it really all depends on your preference. I used to be SC all the way and this new one just didn't make me feel the same way it usually does.

trufenix

bye felicia
Thank you for actually transcribing some knowledge and not just dropping clickbait. I'll be sure to give it a view.

I'm all in for this, but I gotta buy Crackdown 3 first.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Teach me how to play this please! lol

I had fun during the demo, but I was so bad at it.

I wanna play Mila, Tina, or Hitomi. (in that order of preference haha)

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Thank you for actually transcribing some knowledge and not just dropping clickbait. I'll be sure to give it a view.

I'm all in for this, but I gotta buy Crackdown 3 first.
Thanks a lot! I was so impressed by this beta it's hard not to want to review it, at least get some people interested in it as well.

Teach me how to play this please! lol

I had fun during the demo, but I was so bad at it.

I wanna play Mila, Tina, or Hitomi. (in that order of preference haha)
We can do that :D Those are actually all the characters I want to learn, Tina I know very well from previous games, but Mila and Hitomi look freaking great in this game.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
We can do that :D Those are actually all the characters I want to learn, Tina I know very well from previous games, but Mila and Hitomi look freaking great in this game.
Dope stick btw.

See that christie round 1? That was basically me all demo haha. I've only played NRS games so this was quite a different experience for me.

I was pretty disappointing that the netcode had not improved.

I want to believe they'll fix it but it just isn't in the cards at this point. Like its worse SC6 still.

Gameplay is still tight though. Playing Bae-man and Honkers feels amazing.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I love the game overall (always been a big fan of DOA), but I’m disappointed in the stages. None of them really stand out to me, and it’s worse since there’s so few of them overall.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Dope stick btw.

See that christie round 1? That was basically me all demo haha. I've only played NRS games so this was quite a different experience for me.
I think learning to do the holds will help you with a player that is heavily pressuring like I did on that Christie. They can really turn a match around since they counter and do damage. But if you get it when it's out, let me know and I can show you the ropes! (no pun intended XD)

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I can't find any evidence that there is a proper DOA6 thread, so I'm crawling back into this one.

I like playing this when it's in training mode or against the CPU. People are nuts, and I'm not sure I'm up for the needed level of adaptation. Going to give it some time, but there are like two people with decent connections on PC and everyone wants to one-n-done even though we just going to get matched up again.

I know it's a dawn of time aspect of the game, but I hate the blocking being combined with hold. I have some much directional instinct from other games I end up doing holds 70% the time I just want to block. I'm trying to do directional blocking, but the button helps with low blocking and it just feels like a button block game and I can't get over it.

Frustrations aside, what is the point of "S"? There is already a mapping for the three button press, why are there two that are functionally the same? You can just hit the button combination in training and it will even display S instead which suggest to me they really are identical things.

Until you find a way to get them launched, you are always at risk of getting counter held right? Is it kind of a push your luck for damage thing? I feel like there is no time to breath and collect your composure in this game at all. You aren't even safe while in combo town. It makes it unusually stressful to play.

I feel like this game is going to be an abusive relationship for me. I really want to play it, but it makes me hate myself.

Positive side is the embedded frame data is the way things should be done. The last version of VF5 had it, DOA5 had it. This shouldn't be a such a rare feature of a game.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Wow nice breakdown there, perked my interest a bit with DOA. My friend used to be a pro DOA player but has since become one of YT's biggest channels so he retired. Used to love getting bodied by him back in 2004, 2005 in DOA lol. Fun times.