What's new

Do you want variations in MK12?

Should variations return in MK12?

• Yes - Just variations (MKX)

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Yes - but I want variations to be tournament and customs casual (MK11)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No - I want customs to be the standard

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • No - 1 version of each character (MK9)

Votes: 110 76.9%

• Total voters

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Here is a famous quote:

Similarly, there is no combination of words that can adequately express the level of "Jesus titty-fucking Christ, NO" that I want to use to answer this question.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I'd dig full customs. So similar to the MK11 system, but you can slot in some moves when you pick your character. Maybe include some presets that can be customized if you know the combination you want.

One of the issues I have with MK11 is that it didn't go all-in on the customization. It's not just the tournament-variation thing, it's also far too annoying to swap loadouts during casual matches.

Edit: Watching this pros-playing-customs tournament now, and it's awesome. I like the game in its current state, but this shows how much potential is still there.
^This. Customs open the door to a ton of balance issues up front, but there's also a fuckton of creativity and variability in matchups behind that same door.

Otherwise, I'd prefer no variations but with a few more special moves than the very limited base sets from MK9.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
No, I think that characters should come as they are without losing their identity (raiden not having teleport or flying man is weird just as sub not having his clone or jade having her glow)

i liked the variations, but they have run their course for me in terms of the creativity. I think that the variations are good for this trilogy of mk, but the next trilogy should have another gimmick or fun twist (such as a “rage” mode for characters or more specific character passive abilities would be cool to see)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Unless variations are gone, Injustice 1 will be their peak in terms of variety of archetypes. I'm not talking about viable character variation, the balance was awful. But they've come a long way with their balancing skills since then, I'd like to see them go crazy with wildly different characters but better balance. Injustice 2 was close.

it's' like every other month. mkx variations = done fine. mk11 variations = done ass. mk12 = just leave it alone because there's clearly no consistency

At this point I just don’t care. I guess no. What I really want is another company to make the next Mortal Kombat NRS are just assholes. Please. WB Games, make them go away.

No, I think that characters should come as they are without losing their identity (raiden not having teleport or flying man is weird just as sub not having his clone or jade having her glow)
See i would say Raiden's identity comes from his lightning abilities, not his other moves - that's what has been his defining characteristic to me. Same with Subzero, freezing; kitana/mileena/kung lao, their weapons. What they do with them, or what their other moves are somewhat irrelevant. Yes they have been a part of their character since forever, but it doesn't mean they have to be the same every single time. I like the fact that NRS doesn't feel the need to copy/paste each character at each new game. Most are samey enough so you can tell who they are without needing to be told, or be shown how to play them.

With Raiden in MK11 he's been given the most options with his lightning abilities ever. Summon, strike, bolt, staff. There's lightning everywhere!

Sure it might be weird for a character to not have a classic move, but i don't think it completely negates who they are as a character, just that small part of them.

If Raiden didn't have any lightning attacks, that to me would be a worse situation than the loss of teleport or electric fly. Also in most cases if they remove something they've got something else to make up for it. You don't have a teleport, sure, here's a buff with a 6frame counter+low projectile+lowered chip damage+mid-screen juggle. Do you really need extra mobility on top of all of that?

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
if they keep variation system for mk12 i am afraid that d1 or jump kick could be variation specific moves cos we already have neutral jump punch and sweep as variation specific moves. LoL.

i dont want the mkx/11 system back, but on-the-fly style switches like in 3d mk. maybe the switch tempo should be reduced so that it cant be spammed but only be done in a setup. 2 styles per character, one main and one that complements, like in helping to overcome difficult matchups. the starting style should be picked in char select.

Plop

Noob
I think it'd be a good idea to use this time to experiment with the custom variations in the game now. This game is so basic. Half the fun of fighting games is finding new shit and there's just NO new shit in this game. If we went with custom variations for a while, let's be real, would it honestly break the game?
The idea of custom variations is great. I thought it would be implemented better than this, but i also thought people would use it more than this too.

I think they should return to complete characters. They tried it a few times, which is a good thing.

Advantages of complete characters is that the developers can focus on more important things like:

• More base roster characters
  • More variated move-set/specials per character
  • Specials that are closer to what actually fits the characters
Currently specials are too similar. Understandable as the variation system required much work. Time is better spent on complete characters with less similar moves.

NRS could do variated stages? Stages that have variations.
For example add Rain, lightning effects, different sky color, etc

Last edited:

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I think they should return to complete characters. They tried it a few times, which is a good thing.

Advantages of complete characters is that the developers can focus on more important things like:

• More base roster characters
  • More variated move-set/specials per character
  • Specials that are closer to what actually fits the characters
Currently specials are too similar. Understandable as the variation system required much work. Time is better spent on complete characters with less similar moves.

NRS could do variated stages? Stages that have variations.
For example add Rain, lightning effects, different sky color, etc
They didn’t try at all with MK11 tbh. It’s the same as MKX now, no custom variations— no novelty. It’s even worse than MKX for the fact it took them half a year to come up with the third variation lol. But it’s okay to announce a KP in april lol. Not that custom variation idea was ever good, only an idiot would come up with something as chip.

DarkSado

Noob
They marketed this game like CUSTOMS CUSTOMS CUSTOMS, but then last minute they through some shit together. Make it like mkx if variations are still gonna be a thing.
To be fair they say there where going with pre variation system in January. I don’t get why people feel like they been lie to about the customs thing.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The marketing for INJ2 was every battle defines you, which didn't make much sense for the tournament scene. So I don't know if the problem is the marketing.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Just give us a legacy game and stop introducing new crap every title. Variations have sucked since MKX. A character either has one great variation or 2 decent ones.
Why is a variation being good so important. If they're fun that's the main thing. And there were so many fun variations in that game, even if they weren't "viable".

Why is a variation being good so important. If they're fun that's the main thing. And there were so many fun variations in that game, even if they weren't "viable".
Why make all of these variations that cost time and money just for it to be dookie crumbs? Ask yourself, am I a NRS shill?

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Customs add to the replayability and makes every opponent a different experience. especially when you can customize your fighter

colby4898

Why make all of these variations that cost time and money just for it to be dookie crumbs? Ask yourself, am I a NRS shill?
Because it's fun. The majority of players are casual and play other casuals. They couldn't care less if inferno is the worst variation. If they enjoy it they'll play it. And if you're playing at a casual level, even a non casual level, you can still win and have fun with those variations as many did. It's only when it gets to the very top players, which make up a fraction of a percentage, you wont see these characters being used in tournament. Even still those players will use the other variations out of tournament for fun. It's a game. The most important thing is that it was fun. And having access to 100 interesting well made variations was fun, even if some of them were shit.

Because it's fun. The majority of players are casual and play other casuals. They couldn't care less if inferno is the worst variation. If they enjoy it they'll play it. And if you're playing at a casual level, even a non casual level, you can still win and have fun with those variations as many did. It's only when it gets to the very top players, which make up a fraction of a percentage, you wont see these characters being used in tournament. Even still those players will use the other variations out of tournament for fun. It's a game. The most important thing is that it was fun. And having access to 100 interesting well made variations was fun, even if some of them were shit.
Fun is definitely something I don’t hear associated with MK11 often lmao. You shills are funny.

EDIT: in terms of fun this game sucks even more. The krypt was bunz since launch, the game was grindy af, still can’t unlock everything a year in, etc.

MK9 still reigns supreme over this puddle of dog piss lmao

Last edited:
I am glad some people are genuinely questioning people's idea of a "complete" character. See, without variations, it's not like you would get all the moves currently part of a variation that can be customised. Since we are so used to characters have a plethora of moves, you really think with the current amount of button combinations you could have no variations and have a complete character? Come on, be real, if MK12 trotted out characters with a few special moves and some staple ones missing or some you liked from 9, X or 11 then you'd cry about how basic the character is and feels incomplete.

Then let's talk about the myth that MKX variations system was perfect and MK11's shit. As one poster on here said, for some it worked, but some characters they really forced variations on and thus made it feel like a character was broken down into 3 parts and incomplete. Reptile is the ultimate example for me, he just didn't have enough moves to really be separated into 3 different variations. Now that doesn't mean it cannot work but clearly NRS failed to come up with enough to make it work. I think both systems are flawed, but I agree that in X for some characters at least they made a variation feel like its own character with a distinct look. For 11 though, the customisation allows to make some great variety of the same character. Take Shang Tsung, you can make him his own character, but also make him a morphing ninja focused one.

With regards to the question, I actually want neither. If they are going to do it, I'll take a hybrid form of this and 3D era or just straight up the Deception / DA form. Three variations, one weapon based, able to switch in-game with a stance or whatever to signify it. My biggest want is no variations, but a creative way to get more out of the amount of buttons we have now to be able to perform more moves. I don't want to have to worry about choosing and spending all this time on customising a character.

Overall I'd like to see less focus on the amount of moves we can perform, but rather the whole aspect of immersion. What the 3D era did right and gets credit for is the music, announcers and stages in general. What specifically speaks to me is the depth and distance of the arenas and how the 3D style allowed you to really be part of the stage, move around in it, actually going around a corner in some arenas to explore a different part. If they ever find a way to make it a more immersive 3D experience given the reality of graphics and designs now moving around what look beyond marvelous, would give us the in-arena finishers rather than stage fatalities and allow for the kind of action we saw in the MK11 trailer where Raiden pummelled Scorpion. That once a character is knocked down with say 10% health bar left, he just becomes a punching bag that you can finish off with a combo like the OG brutality.

I digress, but my point stands. Either none but then a creative way to give us more moves - so not just Trilogy and MK9 style -, the 3D era form or a hybrid but definitely a NO to just a copy of MK9, MKX or MK11.

colby4898

Fun is definitely something I don’t hear associated with MK11 often lmao. You shills are funny.

EDIT: in terms of fun this game sucks even more. The krypt was bunz since launch, the game was grindy af, still can’t unlock everything a year in, etc.

MK9 still reigns supreme over this puddle of dog piss lmao
I agree MK11 isnt fun at all because it did it all wrong. But MKX did it right and it was insanely fun to play.