What's new

Do you want variations in MK12?

Should variations return in MK12?

• Yes - Just variations (MKX)

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Yes - but I want variations to be tournament and customs casual (MK11)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No - I want customs to be the standard

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • No - 1 version of each character (MK9)

Votes: 110 76.9%

• Total voters

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Title says it all

Personally I do. But not like in MK11.

MK11 variations are terrible imo. MKX was built with variations in mind, so each variation had it's own unique feel, style, and design choice. They invented moves which would work well specifically for the variation style they had in mind. Basic example, special forces Sonya they gave her a b2 launcher just because they felt that variation needed something else. If in MK11, that would have to take up a slot. Which I think limits how variations should work.

The reason they suck in MK11 is because they were built with customs in mind. Each character was given a base move set, then a load of extra specials. After they did that they worked on putting these moves together to make a variation, while having to stick to their own 3 slot limitation they created for themselves. This made each variation feel bland and not thought out.

In MKX they didnt have these slots, they could have whatever moves they wanted with any variation and could balance them all without having to consider customs. If they wanted to add a move to a variation for example, they could do that with out thinking how it would take them over the 3 slots they already filled.

I want them to return like MKX. I think this will ultimately work better than fully custom. As when they balance moves, they have to balance them against all possible combination of moves, which I think will make some moves feel underwhelming and variations, again, dull.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I think I would, but it would have to be done either like MKX, as you already mentioned, or like MK11 customs.

Sucks so hard that they designed the variation system around this innovative 3 slot system then made it basically irrelevant. If they'd have stuck to customs a lot of the balance work would have been complete by now and we'd be well on the way to a balanced, and most importantly fun, game.

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
If they're implemented similarly to MKX, where the entire game was built from the ground up with variations in mind from the start? Sure.

But if it's gonna be like MK11, where they were thrown in at the last minute "oh shit, that assignment's due tomorrow!" addition, they can keep it.

colby4898

Absolutely not. They’ve had three games to get this right and still have yet to fully succeed.

Designing a single character to fit nearly every known FG archetype out there simply can’t be done.
Why do you think MKX didnt so it successfully?

I'd rather them not personally, but realistically it's hard to expect they won't considering how well the last few games have sold--the overall userbase has spoken, no?

I do like the direction they took in Injustice and hope they continue down that road with I3. No variations and a cool gear system for casual play.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
MKX had the right idea. While hardly perfect, it had variations that were character specific and actually brought a unique flavor.
Whereas MK11 seemed to be a slapdash reaction to people asking for full custom, which when combined with the new neutral oriented style resulted in very generic gameplay.

However, kudos to NRS for always trying something new, but better luck next time i guess.

I'm ok with MK11 variation system if all the moves left out were incorporated in tournament play or at least given as a base move.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yes. I really like variations but I think they should stick to two distinct ones. MKX had the issue of balancing 3 wildly different variations in one character, making them ofter feel like completely different characters (Takeda is a good example). MK11 has the issue of variations lacking an identity and thus one variation often being the clearly strongest. 2 variations makes it easier to balance and make them fit a play style (zoning/spacing/grappling/rushdown/aerial control/setup/etc)

colby4898

It went down to having only one truly viable variation for each character
I dont think that's true. For some characters sure. And even so that doesnt make it a failure. Just because they weren't being used in tournaments doesnt mean they weren't being used... tournament players make up the smallest percentage of the player base. That shouldn't really be used when deciding if it worked.

No variations. I originally loved the idea, but I'm realizing that by adding more options, they're really just removing the character's identity. By having custom variations, everything feels completely homogenized. I'd rather have lots of characters that play very well defined roles, and all of the expressivity comes from lots of ways of playing that role.

Just give us a legacy game and stop introducing new crap every title. Variations have sucked since MKX. A character either has one great variation or 2 decent ones.

I’m honestly not sure if I’ll play another mk game and I probably won’t for sure if they do variations cuz it’s clear they can’t. I’m gonna wait and see how things turn out instead of outright buying the next one

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Do it like Injustice 2 where it's one complete character and you can fuck around with variations if you want in casual matches.
Yeah but there was so many cool moves that were locked away for kustoms while some characters were just kind of boring. I think they just make a ton of moves and end up with plenty of extras which creates the variation/loadout system but they should work towards using those moves in expanded move lists rather then having different modes. And I don't want this split playerbase shit, just one game with one version of each character but with more meat on each character.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah but there was so many cool moves that were locked away for kustoms while some characters were just kind of boring. I think they just make a ton of moves and end up with plenty of extras which creates the variation/loadout system but they should work towards using those moves in expanded move lists rather then having different modes. And I don't want this split playerbase shit, just one game with one version of each character but with more meat on each character.
Then I'd just go with the MK9/Injustice 1 system.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I'd much rather have just 1 complete character. imo the variation system hurts character designs because everyone needs a base kit that can function well with a bunch of different tools and it just ends up with every character having a set like v1. the zoning variation, v2. the rushdown variation, and v3. the weird and bad one. No character can really be locked into a specific archetype which kind of limits the potential. One of my favorite parts about the injustice games is that they have a lot of awesome character designs that really push their archetype like Grundy, hawkgirl, captain cold, and bane which I don't think they could really do if those characters had to flex into 2 other variations.