What's new

Question Do you guys feel that MKX is the hardest fighting game to date?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
People who say MKX was super easy, either sucked at it and just hated on it, or played it so much for 2 years that it became easy, like anything else.

To me games like SFV and Inj 2 are way easier than MKX, but Tekken 7 is definitely harder. Some of the hardest characters on MKX can resemble some of the easier Tekken characters for sure, but if you found MKX harder you probably weren't really playing Tekken correctly.

For people that will say i'm wrong about SFV/Inj 2, there's nothing in Inj 2 as difficult as cancel characters, Displacer Raiden, even like master of souls bnbs at the end. There were potatoes like characters I played, but there were also characters that potato players like me would just stay away from. Even Cassie Cage corner combos and Mileena opties were harder than anything necessary in Inj 2. Kung Lao is basically a Tekken character in comparison to Inj 2 characters.

SFV is literally made to be a potato game outside of Menat I guess.

DBFZ is the easiest game in existence so don't even go there lol. It's made super simple on purpose like it's a more extreme example of SFV.

Edit: So yeah MKX isn't really that hard but in comparison to modern fighting games it's in no way the easiest. Inj 2 is so easy that people think Ivy bnbs are hard.
you arent wrong, but you gave 2 games that are also easy, like MKX

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
Anime games blow mkx out of the water.

In a game like blazblue it'll take you months to be anywhere near decent at the game. To be excellent you basically need to be a god, option selecting option selects and managing your character's (stupidly complicated) unique mechanics.

On top of that the pace is way faster than mkx's pace, there are characters with more mix than anything in mkx and there's also air footsies, which is almost like another plane in which the game takes place.

And that's a recent game, if we go back in history I'm sure we'll find something even harder

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
For people that will say i'm wrong about SFV/Inj 2, there's nothing in Inj 2 as difficult as cancel characters, Displacer Raiden, even like master of souls bnbs at the end. There were potatoes like characters I played, but there were also characters that potato players like me would just stay away from. Even Cassie Cage corner combos and Mileena opties were harder than anything necessary in Inj 2. Kung Lao is basically a Tekken character in comparison to Inj 2 characters.
I mean, are execution and the game being hard really the same, though? I wonder mow much the meta itself counts for difficulty of the game.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Why people use combos to discuss how hard a game is baffles me lol. A game isn’t hard because of combos, it’s hard because of execution. Meaning movement, notations, frame data, etc.

The easiest character to play in Tekken is harder to use than any character in any NRS game, including MKX, and I’m not talking just combos. How they move (which is 8 ways btw), notations (which are just frame inputs), frame data (literally over 60 moves), etc.

There’s just no comparison lol.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Why people use combos to discuss how hard a game is baffles me lol. A game isn’t hard because of combos, it’s hard because of execution. Meaning movement, notations, frame data, etc..
Because doing difficult to execute combo's in a high-level environment against strong opponents, on top of any other things you need to be aware of such as positioning, movement, or your opponents options, adds to the difficulty of of the game itself.

It's only one aspect, I agree people kinda overlooked everything else, but it's still a pretty important part in deciding whether a game is difficult or not

Why people use combos to discuss how hard a game is baffles me lol. A game isn’t hard because of combos, it’s hard because of execution. Meaning movement, notations, frame data, etc.

The easiest character to play in Tekken is harder to use than any character in any NRS game, including MKX, and I’m not talking just combos. How they move (which is 8 ways btw), notations (which are just frame inputs), frame data (literally over 60 moves), etc.

There’s just no comparison lol.
IDK about that bro that sound like a really vague statement. Also people list the number of strings in tekken but truth is you don't need to know every string lol. People will mostly use their character BnB strings and stick with them. Nobody has time to learn 100+ moves for any FG

xKhaoTik

EWGF is harder to do than anything in a NRS game, and that isn’t even that hardest thing to do in Tekken.

That right there says a lot.

Rabbit

thugs bunny
mkx is one of the few fighters where i consistently played against people who can complete optimized combos in what should be an unplayable connection.

xKhaoTik

IDK about that bro that sound like a really vague statement. Also people list the number of strings in tekken but truth is you don't need to know every string lol. People will mostly use their character BnB strings and stick with them. Nobody has time to learn 100+ moves for any FG
Facts but at the same time, just the strings or normals they use in Tekken are more than what we use in NRS games. Also Factor in the stances, like ACTUAL stances.

Facts but at the same time, just the strings or normals they use in Tekken are more than what we use in NRS games. Also Factor in the stances, like ACTUAL stances.
Not every characters have stances that you really need to factor in.And you said that the easiest character in Tekken is harder to learn than the hardest in MKX which I doubt. I don't think Tekken 6 Lars is harder than High tech Jacqui for example

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
To be fair, that goes for literally every fighting game. I'll reference the only one I'd be comfortable saying I was decent in, Injustice 1. I didn't know Wing Evade 1 even existed in that game until I accidentally did it in training mode one day, you can ask any other Hawkgirl player and they'll say the same thing. Where that gives Tekken credit is that you have a million more options because you have so many strings to mess with, that in the back of their head, your opponent does have to worry about seeing something they haven't seen before.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
To be fair, that goes for literally every fighting game. I'll reference the only one I'd be comfortable saying I was decent in, Injustice 1. I didn't know Wing Evade 1 even existed in that game until I accidentally did it in training mode one day, you can ask any other Hawkgirl player and they'll say the same thing. Where that gives Tekken credit is that you have a million more options because you have so many strings to mess with, that in the back of their head, your opponent does have to worry about seeing something they haven't seen before.
Like how Red Hood might actually air to air you with his air grab.

BTW everyone Red Hood has an air grab.

xKhaoTik

i usually agree with you my dood khao, but EWGF isn't that hard to do.. Kabal was def harder then executing a EWGF
Yea I agree EWGF isn’t hard at all but I’m saying it’s harder to execute than anything in an NRS game. At least IMO.

And Kabal wasn’t hard to use to me. He was just muscle memory. I found Sindel and Skarlet harder to use

Deep33

Noob
People who say MKX was super easy, either sucked at it and just hated on it, or played it so much for 2 years that it became easy, like anything else.

To me games like SFV and Inj 2 are way easier than MKX, but Tekken 7 is definitely harder. Some of the hardest characters on MKX can resemble some of the easier Tekken characters for sure, but if you found MKX harder you probably weren't really playing Tekken correctly.

SFV is literally made to be a potato game outside of Menat I guess.

DBFZ is the easiest game in existence so don't even go there lol. It's made super simple on purpose like it's a more extreme example of SFV.

Edit: So yeah MKX isn't really that hard but in comparison to modern fighting games it's in no way the easiest. Inj 2 is so easy that people think Ivy bnbs are hard.

I see a lotta comments that are either genuinely ill-informed or just obnoxious falsities spewed by fan boys who are incapable of being un-biased. So i’ll respond to you Tweedy. I agree completely on Inj2 and SFV (though I beg to differ on SFIV)

I know you play competitively and you played potato characters because money was on the line, heck most of the guys who show up at top 8 do just that. Rewind chose to differ, brought Displacer and even beat Sonicfox in Kombat cup last year. But, I can count the number of times he dropped the Displacer BnBs (anything with 3X F12B2) or resorted to the less optimized variants.

Since the guys who showed up at Top 8 stuck with potato Kenshi, potato Kung Jin and Kitana, the game didn’t end there. You guys laughed off leatherface. VLJV 14 today has a leatherface killer that will bury each and every one of ya. Heck, 3 years later, I am finding practical tech with MoS that I am sure will never ever show on a Top 8 tourny. His practical setups can be way swaggier than what Cyrax ever had.

However, NRS reserved 1 variation in “almost” every character in the roster for the CHARACTER LOYALIST AND ENTHUSIAST. As we both know, these variants are extremely hard in execution and have layers of depth that I feel are way beyond anything Tekken 7 has. Notable variants, Nimble (Basilisk, deliberate time alteration), MOS/Displacer, A-List, Duelist, Hat-trick, Cyrax, Bo Rai Cho, Hunter, etc, etc, come to mind.

But, here’s how Tekken adds “depth” and difficulty. Just throw in way more mindless watered down strings and make the roster large! Take away any tutorial, replays, etc and make the Noobs exclaim “oh my god, what the hell did I get myself into” Nothing innovative, no unique/thought provoking gameplay design. Just water it down and add a lot. That’s the Tekken game designer’s cop out. The hardest combo in this game, I could get it down 20/10 times in under an hour. Yes, this matters! Because a character like Displacer’s BNB will be dropped by a guy in Top 8 (like Rewind) multiple times in a tourny after 3 years of practice. You of course didn’t have these problems. But, that's very understandble, you're not a character loyalist or an enthusiast, you're a run of the mill tournament player.

Heck, all the Tekken bros seem to exclaim that I have “God like reactions”, “if I don’t have the read, I simply react”. I have to tell myself that well after 13yrs of Melee and 3 yrs of MKX, well, I am j ust a regular dude in that world, but in the special olympics slow ass world of Tekken, I am god like apparently.

Last edited:

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Yea I agree EWGF isn’t hard at all but I’m saying it’s harder to execute than anything in an NRS game. At least IMO.

And Kabal wasn’t hard to use to me. He was just muscle memory. I found Sindel and Skarlet harder to use
no way! sindel i can agree with was as hard due to awkwardness of the input, but skarlet no way

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I see a lotta comments that are either genuinely ill-informed or just obnoxious falsities spewed by fan boys who are incapable of being un-biased. So i’ll respond to you Tweedy. I agree completely on Inj2 and SFV (though I beg to differ on SFIV)

I know you play competitively and you played potato characters because money was on the line, heck most of the guys who show up at top 8 do just that. Rewind chose to differ, brought Displacer and even beat Sonicfox in Kombat cup last year. But, I can count the number of times he dropped the Displacer BnBs (anything with 3X F12B2) or resorted to the less optimized variants.

Since the guys who showed up at Top 8 stuck with potato Kenshi, potato Kung Jin and Kitana, the game didn’t end there. You guys laughed off leatherface. VLJV 14 today has a leatherface killer that will bury each and every one of ya. Heck, 3 years later, I am finding practical tech with MoS that I am sure will never ever show on a Top 8 tourny. His practical setups can be way swaggier than what Cyrax ever had.

However, NRS reserved 1 variation in “almost” every character in the roster for the CHARACTER LOYALIST AND ENTHUSIAST. As we both know, these variants are extremely hard in execution and have layers of depth that I feel are way beyond anything Tekken 7 has. Notable variants, Nimble (Basilisk, deliberate time alteration), MOS/Displacer, A-List, Duelist, Hat-trick, Cyrax, Bo Rai Cho, Hunter, etc, etc, come to mind.

But, here’s how Tekken adds “depth” and difficulty. Just throw in way more mindless watered down strings and make the roster large! Take away any tutorial, replays, etc and make the Noobs exclaim “oh my god, what the hell did I get myself into” Nothing innovative, no unique/thought provoking gameplay design. Just water it down and add a lot. That’s the Tekken game designer’s cop out. The hardest combo in this game, I could get it down 20/10 times in under an hour. Yes, this matters! Because a character like Displacer’s BNB will be dropped by a guy in Top 8 (like Rewind) multiple times in a tourny after 3 years of practice. You of course didn’t have these problems. But, that's very understandble, you're not a character loyalist or an enthusiast, you're a run of the mill tournament player.

Heck, all the Tekken bros seem to exclaim that I have “God like reactions”, “if I don’t have the read, I simply react”. I have to tell myself that well after 13yrs of Melee and 3 yrs of MKX, well, I am j ust a regular dude in that world, but in the special olympics slow ass world of Tekken, I am god like apparently.
You can do the hardest stuff in tekken? Show me a vid of you hitting CH df2 PEWGF with kaz or taunt jet upper with Bryan.
Im sorry man but the reason mkx was hard was because it was unbalanced and unfair.
Safe 50 50s , armoured launchers were a thing for a good amount of the games life. I know alot of this stuff was gone in the last patch but so were alot of the players because of this. Dont get me wrong i enjoyed mkx and played it for a couple of years but the info required to play this game at a competitive compared to tekken is like comparing a kiddy pool to the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Because doing difficult to execute combo's in a high-level environment against strong opponents, on top of any other things you need to be aware of such as positioning, movement, or your opponents options, adds to the difficulty of of the game itself.

It's only one aspect, I agree people kinda overlooked everything else, but it's still a pretty important part in deciding whether a game is difficult or not
This is true ^ I mean some games have insanely, precise timing combos and others are just easier while some are just stupid hard.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
To be fair the user's OP wasn't at all speaking about execution -- we've gone way down the execution rabbit hole, but that's not what he meant; he was talking about meta and gameplay considerations :cool:

For the record, I still don't think he's correct, but this discussion isn't about what game has the hardest controller inputs for a given move or combo.