What's new

Do you feel MK11 combos are big enough & entertaining?

How do you feel about MK11 combo length and depth?

• They are too long and filled with depth we have never seen before!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
combos were clearly more fun and execution based in mkx but I think they've reached a decent medium in mk11. too bad you got characters like sonya hitting you for 40% + for one bar

I don't care how long and elaborate they are, bnbs aren't hype. Shit like cyrax and kitana combos in x were just obnoxiously long. Plus you can't have long combos because of the way meter comes back
i don't think it's the bnbs that are meant for hype. it's the super optimal combos that are meant for hype. cyrax combos were super fun before and maybe even after the nerf. guess some people don't know the joy of hitting some amazing combo

I think they're fine. There could be a bigger variety, but I prefer Mortal Kombat be a more footsie-based game. I love the Crushing Blow mechanic and think it fits Mortal Kombat perfectly.

Injustice should be the combo-heavy title. I'd like to see the two franchises separate themselves in direction. Mortal Kombat, the heavier, more methodical fighter and Injustice, the higher mobility and faster-paced game.
yet neither of those have been true for either of the titles lately

“Long combos” is an overrated concept.
I much prefer the SamSho style of play.
but we're not playing samsho. samsho is like one of the more niche fighters and it's earned it's style of play.

I'm not sure what character you guys remember in MKX that had "a bunch of different combo options". I'd like some examples and not just rose tinted glassery. Kenshi did not, Kotal did not, Kano did not, Ferra/Torr did not.

All MKX had was the two 50/50 options led to your launcher, then the same BNB into outrageous ozi / armor crush / reset setup. watch for the break, watch for the mash, lather, rinse repeat.
kenshi definitely had some slightly execution heavy combos in kenjutsu. most of the characters with rrun cancels had numerous combo paths.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
combos were clearly more fun and execution based in mkx but I think they've reached a decent medium in mk11. too bad you got characters like sonya hitting you for 40% + for one bar
i don't think it's the bnbs that are meant for hype. it's the super optimal combos that are meant for hype. cyrax combos were super fun before and maybe even after the nerf. guess some people don't know the joy of hitting some amazing combo
yet neither of those have been true for either of the titles lately
but we're not playing samsho. samsho is like one of the more niche fighters and it's earned it's style of play.
Multi-quote is your friend.

Combos are fine in MK11 I got no issue. Even the craziest NRS combos still aren't much compared to any versus game. I am pretty happy where it stands right now. There are the solid bnbs that are easy, and most characters have the execution heavy stuff to squeeze out an extra percent for those people who wanna go for it.
versus games on are a completely different level with combos though but even non versus titles like tekken, sf4, kof, mk9, and even mkx had crazy combos

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, please try to not double post and put all your posts in one if you can as to not clutter the forum. Thanks. 2 in a row is a pardonable offense, but 4? Bruh, you're testin' me.
clutter? a post from like 2 days ago? filthy cassie mods

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm not sure what character you guys remember in MKX that had "a bunch of different combo options". I'd like some examples and not just rose tinted glassery. Kenshi did not, Kotal did not, Kano did not, Ferra/Torr did not.

All MKX had was the two 50/50 options led to your launcher, then the same BNB into outrageous ozi / armor crush / reset setup. watch for the break, watch for the mash, lather, rinse repeat.
I agree tbh, mkx you basically had your consistent optimals which nearly everyone used as their bnbs just like most games (mk11 included). Mk9 had a bit more variety in combo paths for "combo artists" but again, in general once you found your optimal damage/setup bnb that is what you used (in tournament settings at least).

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

Kano had three variations which all comboed differently. The combos also varied between corner and midsceeen.

Fyrtherkire there were more random hit conversions. Ex knives in cybernetic gave a combo on hit although it was not his launcher, a stray db1 anti airing in cutthroat would give you a combo. Those kind of conversions are few and far between in MK11. See Kitanas fans for instance

DeftMonk

Noob
for me the problem is lots of character’s approach is very one dimensional and normals/kB all support this one specific approach to playstyle. This makes Willy no name high ranked on PS4’s version of x char and say slayer/other pro’s playstyle almost identical. Some characters are excluded because they have one tool that is super good outside of their aimed purpose (scud shot etc.) This holds the game back a bit more than combos being limiting imo.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)

I'm not sure where you are coming from. Look at most characters they are limited to special moves locked in variation to do the majority of thier combos. Erron Black uses LnL one variation, Kano has the 24 1+3 string locked in variation he has very small combos other than that but his longest combos are in variation. Jax Hunker Down has like what two combo starters one being 34f startup one time use and his other various has the stance and special all locked in variation.
tons of characters Have thier comboabilty locked in variation or KB one time use.
MKX and 9 didn't do this they all had normals and base moves that started combos multiple options.

what I'm suggesting is characters have 2 or 3 base moves that launch so they can combo in every variation, I can see Zones nor needing this but Rushdown and Footsie characters would benefit from this and odd Variations would see more light.