What's new

Do you feel MK11 combos are big enough & entertaining?

How do you feel about MK11 combo length and depth?

• They are too long and filled with depth we have never seen before!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
NO! I’ve been saying this since day 1. 90% of my time playing MKX was labbing. Every character had so much experimentation available. In MK11, they traded in all the fun for a better competitive environment. I went back and played MKX a couple days ago and I was kicking myself with glee because I had become so desensitized to fun from playing MK11; I was reminded why I fell in love w Netherrealm in the first place. This game is going to die quick. You can’t expect people to watch each character played the exact same way regardless of the player. I wish NRS would open this game up already.

NO! I’ve been saying this since day 1. 90% of my time playing MKX was labbing. Every character had so much experimentation available. In MK11, they traded in all the fun for a better competitive environment. I went back and played MKX a couple days ago and I was kicking myself with glee because I had become so desensitized to fun from playing MK11; I was reminded why I fell in love w Netherrealm in the first place. This game is going to die quick. You can’t expect people to watch each character played the exact same way regardless of the player. I wish NRS would open this game up already.
Nobody is in the rooms either. At the most there's 20 people max during peak hours. Even then everybody is in KOTH. And matches are too long and slow paced for KOTH this time around. There's was always 90 to 100 guys in at least 1 room all day in MKX. Also, what ever happened to trash talk? It was so fun hanging out in the rooms talking shit to each other, then gloating about how you wrecked someone afterwards. But everybody was cool. In MK11 they censor everything. It's so stupid. It's an M rated game with blood and gore but the developers don't want any banter or swearing? Were all adults here.
The game has been losing players. I said it before but I'm constantly matching up with the same guys in ranked and casual. MKX was the best. I miss it.

I started playing MKX the last two days and sadly you are so right.......I was a KItana main in MKX and all earlier games and this game has sucked ALL the love I had for Kitana away. It's just NOT fun.....the same couple combos done over and over and over and over......The variety in MKX was really good. Like you said MK11 is probably better for competition but its very lacking in the fun department for me.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The combos in this game are hella wack. Nothing like MKX with Liu's air dragon loops, Cyber Sub's dive whiff combos, or Torr's Pain cancels.

This game absolutely has execution, but very little of it looks impressive. I'm a big time combo queen, but all of my time in the lab feels wasted when I finally find some sick shit, but it's still not even close to as optimal as the standard 1,2,3 launcher, j.2, 3 ender

Afumba

Noob
I don't care how long and elaborate they are, bnbs aren't hype. Shit like cyrax and kitana combos in x were just obnoxiously long. Plus you can't have long combos because of the way meter comes back
I see it differently. Loved those combos and never got tired of seeing them. Heck i loved them even in MK9, they were broken and dumb but also fun and hype.

Meter wouldnt be a big deal, they could just slow down the general meter regen a bit. Its a bit too fast anyway.

AugustAPC

Not For Sale
What do you mean? How do combos being longer effect footsies? Neutral is before the combo starts, I specifically stayed the damage could be less for longer combos for all I care, allowing more footsie.
Honestly I didn't read your post body. I just read the topic, voted and answered the question. The title of your thread seemed pretty self explanatory and didn't need any elaboration.

Regardless, if you spend a longer time doing combos, you will spend less time in neutral fishing for pokes. It means that the defending player gets to respond faster. Games with longer combos also tend to promote massive bursts of damage during these sequences (see KI, MvC or BlazBlue) or scaling so severe that late hits are almost negligible (see SFIV). There's nothing inherently wrong with either of these approaches, but there's nothing wrong with games that focus more on rewarding strategy over execution, like SFV and MK11.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I don’t have a problem with combos not being long, I just wish more characters had paths available like one combo for side switch one for hkd into good oki one for corner carry etc. Lacking this stuff makes the game have one less level of depth imo. Nrs has such a hardon for tekken why not add wallsplat combos btw.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
MK11 combos in general are boring, i just wish we could have a bit more liberty of creativity with some characters, this include Skarlet, her combos are bland AF

Skarlet used to have the best combo routes to ever exist in MK9 and i can't shake this feeling that even then, her combos route has been slowly being removed, basically NRS has dumbed down a highly technical character

We went from this technical

Which they nerfed in the same game

to this

And now its even worse

Next game she is in, we won't even combo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35141

Combo paths I feel are pretty much the same.
Starters consisted of low/overhead, fastest or longest reaching move and mk11 is no different.
Enders were hard knockdown, highest damage or restand mk11 is pretty much the same.
Movesets mostly feel watered down though

Johnny is the 1 exception for me he is probably the worst tier wise compared to mk9 and X but I find his moveset more fun
Sub zero, liu kang, black, cassie, lao mkx counterparts were way more flashy.

I dont miss every character in mkx being Sonya in mk11 where mixups had mixups.
Dont miss some characters constant pressure some characters had due to their ultra meter building ability.

It definitely depends on the character, but overall the system is just slightly more rigid and less fun to combo than it should be. Something like Injustice 2, where every character has the built-in pop-up/knock-up, was close to my ideal combo length to complexity ratio.

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I'm not a combo focused player by any means, so I'm fine with the catalogue we have at the moment for most of the characters. However, I can understand that many people misses having more options for some characters.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I just want every character to have combo options like sonya,noob,lui etc.

I dont want them to play the same but some characters feel limited for no good reason which makes people like us kano mains do the same easy 1bar 30% combos

K3M1K4l

Banned
I miss the execution barrier of using chars like the joker ( I also miss teeth set ups), poison ivy or blue beetle. There was something about doing those optimals mid match that gave me a little extra hype. I’ve been playing Johnny because he isn’t very flowchart and has multiple mixups but his combos are so bland...smh!!!

Cassie combos seems to be the only one with a little swag. Kung Lao has some cool stuff too

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If you compare the MK11 combo system with MKX, I'd say it's not long, like in MKX, and not short, like in SF series and SamSho7. It's medium in hit counter percentage, and that's fine for everyone. Every character has almost the same amount of hits in combos. The problem with it is dealing too much unecessary damage, like Jacqui and Geras. Meanwhile, some characters do long combos, that lead to barely 60% damage. Some characters, like Geras and Jacqui, have the ability to reach even more than 70%.

So the combos are fine as they are. The unbalanced damage is the problem itself.

I don't care either way. If it's flashy and does less damage and you lose due to it, what good did that do you or anyone else?

I'd rather substitute consistency and efficiency over flashy combos any day.

Some people care too much about combos and think they're what wins games and that you're some kind of newb if you don't do optimals all the time.
this is why i hate MKX. Well one of the many many many reasons.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Entertainment comes from converting something into a combo, not from predertermined combos, aka bnb's. All combos bocome stale, no matter the first impressions of flashines. Thus the game without the player is nothing. Yes, I think MK has hype in converting combos because it has meterlesslaunchers, normal launchers, juggles etc.
Except Kollector, this guy has only one combo:DOGE And Scorpion who has only one launcher.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
It's not about length. It's about variety. You had so many options in X it's crazy. Just look at reptile shenanigans in noxious or nimble. It like they said "Half the fun shit has to go if we wanna be competitive." You can have footsie based games AND entertaining shit at the same time. Look at Tekken. I've been playing it like crazy lately.

Just look at the kind of options MKX Kitana had. You want combos with unbreakable damage? Done. Full screen pick ups? Done. Want to show off? Done? Dont like run cancels? Fine. 2n1 cancels off an anti-air? Sure thing. Is sharpen active? Consider changing your ender.

Compare all that to whatever MK11 Kitana is supposed to be. Is she BAD? No. Is she boring as all hell and feel neutered for some reason? HELL YES.

Run button was probably a mistake overall in terms of balance but it added really amazing skill floors and ceilings to characters. When I was new I couldn't even play Jax because I thought the dash punch run cancel stuff was impossible. But you practice and you realize that Jax just requires more skill for how DUMB his wall carry was. Then I could move on to rocket cancels.

Dvorah had really fun cancel pressure and had entire combo paths locked out if you couldn't put the work in. She had fun setups to blow up wake-ups with puddle, side switch air throw, blahs blah blah.

Point is, everything you can do with an MK11 character feels too regimented and strict. You spend more time seeing what you cant do than vice versa. I got bored of MK11 Sub after like 3 or 4 days; I swear to god it took me WEEKS to get even halfway good with GM Sub in X. There was just more to learn.

The variation system plays a significant role in my opinion. Certain characters have their combo extenders as part of their base tool set and some need to spend a slot to have it essentially limiting them to 1 variation.

I remember them saying that Frost had some crazy multi-head combos and Stephanie saying i can't wait to see how many heads per combo people are gonna do... The answer is 0-1 because no one ends their combo in a Frost head toss.

Last edited:

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Combo paths I feel are pretty much the same.
Starters consisted of low/overhead, fastest or longest reaching move and mk11 is no different.
Enders were hard knockdown, highest damage or restand mk11 is pretty much the same.
Movesets mostly feel watered down though

Johnny is the 1 exception for me he is probably the worst tier wise compared to mk9 and X but I find his moveset more fun
Sub zero, liu kang, black, cassie, lao mkx counterparts were way more flashy.

I dont miss every character in mkx being Sonya in mk11 where mixups had mixups.
Dont miss some characters constant pressure some characters had due to their ultra meter building ability.
The number of paths is the problem, not the structure of paths. I don’t understand why if a character has a midscreen path to 29% damage, why they can’t have 10 midscreen paths to 29%. It doesn’t seem it changes anything other than adding fun (and positively affecting breakaway meta). I realize combo damage must to be limited b/c the awesome new KB mechanic, but why should that affect creativity?

Also, Johnny had tons of combo ability in MKX, more than any character in MK11 for sure; even if you exclude stunt double. The stuff you could do off of db4 in the corner was incredibly satisfying. His njp and cancels opened up a lot of creativity. Midscreen did require f24 d1 f3 bd3, but still had plenty available after that. There really isn’t a character limited more in MKX than the least limited character in MK11.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
It's not about length. It's about variety. You had so many options in X it's crazy. Just look at reptile shenanigans in noxious or nimble. It like they said "Half the fun shit has to go if we wanna be competitive." You can have footsie based games AND entertaining shit at the same time. Look at Tekken. I've been playing it like crazy lately.

Just look at the kind of options MKX Kitana had. You want combos with unbreakable damage? Done. Full screen pick ups? Done. Want to show off? Done? Dont like run cancels? Fine. 2n1 cancels off an anti-air? Sure thing. Is sharpen active? Consider changing your ender.

Compare all that to whatever MK11 Kitana is supposed to be. Is she BAD? No. Is she boring as all hell and feel neutered for some reason? HELL YES.

Run button was probably a mistake overall in terms of balance but it added really amazing skill floors and ceilings to characters. When I was new I couldn't even play Jax because I thought the dash punch run cancel stuff was impossible. But you practice and you realize that Jax just requires more skill for how DUMB his wall carry was. Then I could move on to rocket cancels.

Dvorah had really fun cancel pressure and had entire combo paths locked out if you couldn't put the work in. She had fun setups to blow up wake-ups with puddle, side switch air throw, blahs blah blah.

Point is, everything you can do with an MK11 character feels too regimented and strict. You spend more time seeing what you cant do than vice versa. I got bored of MK11 Sub after like 3 or 4 days; I swear to god it took me WEEKS to get even halfway good with GM Sub in X. There was just more to learn.
I feel like it has to do with both paths and length as well as ending options. Obviously 11 is measuring short in the combo department, that's easy to see no matter what NRS title you played previously. I don't think we have to sacrifice combo depth, diversity and options to keep MK11 competitive and fair. I don't think it really even effects balance as long as its scaled properly. I want the option to have multiple starters and enders with hopefully some swag in between. What I really don't like is that all if the combos are extremely easy to master most being 3-8 hits. I would like players to put more work into midscreen and corner damage not just have it auto rolled into 40%. I wasn't even limiting it to lengtg! I doNet care if its more KB's, a few normal launchers per character, or Custom Variations/Additional Variations being allowed in Tournament play. As it is now most characters only have one launcher and it comes from a special move locked in variation and of course Universal KB's and character Specific KBs..
But its worth mentioning certain KB's are not practical and need adjustment. Some characters need more combo paths some may just need different variation whatever works I'm for it.
I want the game to last 5 years or more.