What's new

Do you feel MK11 combos are big enough & entertaining?

How do you feel about MK11 combo length and depth?

• They are too long and filled with depth we have never seen before!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 35141

I was all for custom variations to improve variety but do some people realize there are some really broken more or moves added to other moves just makes them OP.

I keep seeing well you could do this or this but I think some are confusing mix up starters with starters.
Johnny can start a combo off b3, f2, f3, f4 s1, s2 just because they dont all start as a low or overhead doesnt mean there not starters.

But everyones right bring back mk9s broken choppy everything bounces combo system

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Does it really matter how long/creative a combo can be anyway? As soon as someone finds the optimal stuff, it's all you'll see everyone do.
This is pretty much how I look it at it. Even in other games once everybody has discovered what is optimal to use in each situation that is what most people are using.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
It’s all about the routes - pure and simple. Give us more routes and this game would be perfect in terms of variety and tech discovery. I don’t think opening up variations is the ultimate fix, either.

Take Liu for example. Yes He has two meterless launches in base form. But no one uses F2 for, like, anything anymore so that leaves F3333 midscreen as his only combo route. No meter special launchers except for low fireball in the corner.

His KB’s are some of the best in the game and you can pull some nutty stuff in the corner off of f43u3 and the parry KB but overall, most people will just F43 into bike kick on hit.

And his other non-tourney abilities are pretty much trash. None have launching capabilities so you wouldn’t be opening any routes anyway.

Then there are characters like Jax with his hunker down variation that has like one route to combos and it’s gimmicky.

I don’t know how they would give us more routes though bc it’s a core gameplay mechanic so guess we live with what we have...

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
It’s all about the routes - pure and simple. Give us more routes and this game would be perfect in terms of variety and tech discovery. I don’t think opening up variations is the ultimate fix, either.

Take Liu for example. Yes He has two meterless launches in base form. But no one uses F2 for, like, anything anymore so that leaves F3333 midscreen as his only combo route. No meter special launchers except for low fireball in the corner.

His KB’s are some of the best in the game and you can pull some nutty stuff in the corner off of f43u3 and the parry KB but overall, most people will just F43 into bike kick on hit.

And his other non-tourney abilities are pretty much trash. None have launching capabilities so you wouldn’t be opening any routes anyway.

Then there are characters like Jax with his hunker down variation that has like one route to combos and it’s gimmicky.

I don’t know how they would give us more routes though bc it’s a core gameplay mechanic so guess we live with what we have...
Personally I think they could cHange certain moves to combo launch or make certain moves get KB launch that don't currently and some characters could just get new variations with more combo paths.
I think it can easily be done and since the balance patch hasn't happened it could very well happen.
Remember before day one they removed multiple KB per combo which I didn't like but understand some characters get too much damage but they could just scale it.
Example:
Scarlet is a character who used to be a combo queen but in 11 she gas one launcher aside from universal KB. How about her B34 launch midscreen and her blood burst launch midscreen?

Other characters can have a normal that has an additional input which launches but is unsafe but hit confirmable similar to Jacquis F314-1+3 but these characters get a launch from it. So in Jades case her low starter has a twin button ender that launches but is -14 on block.
Kotal should launch from 221 or his F243.
Shangs F242 launches higher.
Kitanas overhead string could popup and be slightly unsafe.
Something like this that is universal for all characters that isn't tied to variations so all Variations have comboabilty. I bet this would turn other vars viable. I'd definitely be using Shangs Spellmaster variation if he had comboabilty other than the slow af projectile its a shame. Hell I'd be using so many characters if they had more combo paths that where base normals.

But I think certain characters need only different variations or KB fixed

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
I actually like al
Personally I think they could cHange certain moves to combo launch or make certain moves get KB launch that don't currently and some characters could just get new variations with more combo paths.
I think it can easily be done and since the balance patch hasn't happened it could very well happen.
Remember before day one they removed multiple KB per combo which I didn't like but understand some characters get too much damage but they could just scale it.
Example:
Scarlet is a character who used to be a combo queen but in 11 she gas one launcher aside from universal KB. How about her B34 launch midscreen and her blood burst launch midscreen?

Other characters can have a normal that has an additional input which launches but is unsafe but hit confirmable similar to Jacquis F314-1+3 but these characters get a launch from it. So in Jades case her low starter has a twin button ender that launches but is -14 on block.
Kotal should launch from 221 or his F243.
Shangs F242 launches higher.
Kitanas overhead string could popup and be slightly unsafe.
Something like this that is universal for all characters that isn't tied to variations so all Variations have comboabilty. I bet this would turn other vars viable. I'd definitely be using Shangs Spellmaster variation if he had comboabilty other than the slow af projectile its a shame. Hell I'd be using so many characters if they had more combo paths that where base normals.

But I think certain characters need only different variations or KB fixed
I actually like a lot of these ideas and hadn’t thought of it like that. Like even Liu Kang - I would totally settle for his second MB bike kick be the flip launcher like in MKX. It could still count towards his KB count too as you are still technically MB’ing more than once. They would have to adjust heavy though like scale the damage on the launcher and maybe up the KB req from 3 to 4 times

Gaxkang

Banned
If anything the longer ones are too long...but then I am not a fan of longer, big damage combos in a fighting game really heh.

If I had it my way the longest combo would be a string and a special. :p

DeftMonk

Noob
C
The number of paths is the problem, not the structure of paths. I don’t understand why if a character has a midscreen path to 29% damage, why they can’t have 10 midscreen paths to 29%. It doesn’t seem it changes anything other than adding fun (and positively affecting breakaway meta). I realize combo damage must to be limited b/c the awesome new KB mechanic, but why should that affect creativity?

Also, Johnny had tons of combo ability in MKX, more than any character in MK11 for sure; even if you exclude stunt double. The stuff you could do off of db4 in the corner was incredibly satisfying. His njp and cancels opened up a lot of creativity. Midscreen did require f24 d1 f3 bd3, but still had plenty available after that. There really isn’t a character limited more in MKX than the least limited character in MK11.
mkx a list pre last update was the most fun thing of all time in an nrs game for me.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
News flash, fighting games are all about combos. The combos are fine as is.

And idk about you all, but I'm perfectly fine not sitting through mk9 cyrax combos or mkx kitana combos any more. That shit was annoying as hell.
yep, not missing those stupid shit so far ..... MK11 is going in the right direction, despite having some polemic stuff here and there, it is way more bearable than all broken cheap old stuff we have to deal with in MK9 and MK11 together, hehe ..... :p

it's not funny having to eat a 60% killer kombo why you guessed wrong a 50/50 string and all , so .... long combos could be only appease if they do less damage, like Killer Instict, you have a 30 hits combos, but, each hit, take only 1% of health bar, so, it's nice to see, but the damage is not exaggerate to the point the opponent has no chance to overcome that once the match come back to the neutral stage :)

LawAbidingCitizen

News flash, fighting games aren't all about combos. The combos are fine as is.

And idk about you all, but I'm perfectly fine not sitting through mk9 cyrax combos or mkx kitana combos any more. That shit was annoying as hell.
I didn't purpose high damage super long combos. I purposed something between MKX &11 which is scaled so it doesn't do any more damage than now. I'd be fine with some getting damage nerfs. This wouldn't make it Kitana length just more options on start and ender. Maybe I wasn't clear about that in OP

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I didn't purpose high damage super long combos. I purposed something between MKX &11 which is scaled so it doesn't do any more damage than now. I'd be fine with some getting damage nerfs. This wouldn't make it Kitana length just more options on start and ender. Maybe I wasn't clear about that in OP
Whether they do 10% or 60%, if they're cryax or kitana length combos, they're way too long imo.

Sure, it's fun performing them, but the rest of us out there aren't the happy compliant opponent that the practice mode AI is. We don't want to sit there for 30 seconds while you perform your long ass, entertaining combo. We want to get back to the fighting.

Give characters as many options for starters and enders as you want, I'm fine with that, but the length of the combos currently is a good length imo.

Afumba

Noob
yep, not missing those stupid shit so far ..... MK11 is going in the right direction, despite having some polemic stuff here and there, it is way more bearable than all broken cheap old stuff we have to deal with in MK9 and MK11 together, hehe ..... :p

it's not funny having to eat a 60% killer kombo why you guessed wrong a 50/50 string and all , so .... long combos could be only appease if they do less damage, like Killer Instict, you have a 30 hits combos, but, each hit, take only 1% of health bar, so, it's nice to see, but the damage is not exaggerate to the point the opponent has no chance to overcome that once the match come back to the neutral stage :)
The problem here is the damage these combos did, the combo itself were awesome. Nobody saying longer combos need to do insane damage. They could opt to give us longer combos but keep the damage arpund the level we have now. They also dont have to be extremely long, a middle ground would be great though. Just a tad longer ad they are now is all.

Having multiple options on how to continue and end juggles would be fun and doesnt take away anything as long as the damage is kept around the way it is.

Going from someone like Ermac in previous games to MK11 feels a bit sad when it comes to combos and their variety.

Game is still great, for me it would be even better with longer combos and more variety.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
The combos are my #1 complaint about MK11. Everything feels so limited and there's no room for creativity. The combos suck compared to MK9, Injustice, MKX and INJ2. I've complained about them so much, I'm sure people are sick of seeing my thoughts, though.

Look at Kitana. Can anyone who loves that character honestly say they're happy with how she feels in this game? Kitana without fan combos is like a pizza without cheese or something.

I really hope in future patches/versions of the game, NRS adds new combo routes or something. I'm so bored with MK11 already. It really bums be out because I don't think I've ever been more excited for an NRS release after seeing the game revealed.

If the Nightwolf Kombat Kast begins with Bit saying "Nightwolf isn't really a combo character. I'd say he's more of a mid-range footsies character", I'm going to snap my own neck.

LawAbidingCitizen

The combos are my #1 complaint about MK11. Everything feels so limited and there's no room for creativity. The combos suck compared to MK9, Injustice, MKX and INJ2. I've complained about them so much, I'm sure people are sick of seeing my thoughts, though.

Look at Kitana. Can anyone who loves that character honestly say they're happy with how she feels in this game? Kitana without fan combos is like a pizza without cheese or something.

I really hope in future patches/versions of the game, NRS adds new combo routes or something. I'm so bored with MK11 already. It really bums be out because I don't think I've ever been more excited for an NRS release after seeing the game revealed.

If the Nightwolf Kombat Kast begins with Bit saying "Nightwolf isn't really a combo character. I'd say he's more of a mid-range footsies character", I'm going to snap my own neck.
IM actually not board with MK11 there is a lot to it with KB's, FLB and Footsies/Shimmy focus its very fun and possibly thier best game yet with pretty decent balance out of the box. It does have its faults Like more Hitbox issues than any previous MK, lack of combo paths and diversity, limited variations and customization, maybe Fatal Blows and Meter issues and KB requirements causing a huge disparity between characters damage output and comeback factor.
But its my favorite MK and I loved 9 & X

LawAbidingCitizen

I came from mkx cyrax . This game is like the sahara desert of creativity 8(
I still equal parts love it and hate it though
I was a Cyrax main in MK9 & X and yeah its depressing path wise. I used several characters in X like predator, Triborg, Alien, Cassie, Kitana, and some Mileena. Kitana in 11 is nothing compared to MKX comboabilty. Honestly every character in 11 has far less combo paths and enders than X had. What I didn't like was the last couple patches on XL that felt like characters where ruined or fractions of their firmer selves.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I was a Cyrax main in MK9 & X and yeah its depressing path wise. I used several characters in X like predator, Triborg, Alien, Cassie, Kitana, and some Mileena. Kitana in 11 is nothing compared to MKX comboabilty. Honestly every character in 11 has far less combo paths and enders than X had. What I didn't like was the last couple patches on XL that felt like characters where ruined or fractions of their firmer selves.
I miss Pred's combos so much, the laugh he does during the brutality. It was so satisfying to do.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If anything the longer ones are too long...but then I am not a fan of longer, big damage combos in a fighting game really heh.

If I had it my way the longest combo would be a string and a special. :p
You're no longer playing MK at that point, you're playing Samurai Showdown.

Longer combos have been a part of MK since MK3, and even MK2 had some solid combo options (although admittedly limited).

I'd feel the exact same way if Tekken removed the freedom you have with combos. It's just always been part of the game and wouldn't feel right without it.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm not sure what character you guys remember in MKX that had "a bunch of different combo options". I'd like some examples and not just rose tinted glassery. Kenshi did not, Kotal did not, Kano did not, Ferra/Torr did not.

All MKX had was the two 50/50 options led to your launcher, then the same BNB into outrageous ozi / armor crush / reset setup. watch for the break, watch for the mash, lather, rinse repeat.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Combos are fine in MK11 I got no issue. Even the craziest NRS combos still aren't much compared to any versus game. I am pretty happy where it stands right now. There are the solid bnbs that are easy, and most characters have the execution heavy stuff to squeeze out an extra percent for those people who wanna go for it.