What's new

Do you consider out gearing your opponent fair?

Noob
I absolutely hate the gear system. I play one character and have her geared up because I like the look. But so many people wont turn the gear off and I end up winning because my gear is better. Then they don't rematch and I sit another 10 minutes looking for a game for the same thing to happen. I don't care if somebody wit better gear beats me. They generally rematch and I get some play time in. But when I win because of gear it makes me want to stop playing. I am in no way getting better, just getting stronger. I don't care how unfair or fair the loser feels it is for the gear to be on, I only care about how unfair it is that It is helping me. I have made a character with base gear, but hate using them because they look day 1.

It gets so bad that I will just give up trying to win and focus on beating my opponent in ridiculous ways. I had a dude start every combo with a jump in. So I only used air to air kicks to beat him. Then he ran away and I sent him a message asking why he didn't rematch me. And he told me because all I do is jump kick. There are to many low level players for mid level players to get any good games in. And the gear just makes it even more harder.

This is like my second time posting on this wonderful site and I guess my reply didnt upload. Like what is this guy deal? Did he compete in like tournaments? He's a horrible person. My partner and I dug up his stream and he's the definition of narcissistic megalomaniac individual. I am interested in his interactions with this community.
hes got a youtube channel too, he is obsessed with his ranking stats and said he was going to contact the authorities to address the "hackers" who eventually beat his score. he does this in several games.

and no he never competed because his style of inj1 play only worked with the bad netcode and online lag. i mopped him up several times

hes got a youtube channel too, he is obsessed with his ranking stats and said he was going to contact the authorities to address the "hackers" who eventually beat his score. he does this in several games.

and no he never competed because his style of inj1 play only worked with the bad netcode and online lag. i mopped him up several times
Haha that's hilarious. Yea i beat him pretty easy and i am not super good at the game. I just blocked and punished.

Why are people complaining about the gear system?? We knew this was being implemented when the game was announced lol. The other player shouldn't be forced to turn gear off just bc you want to. They grind for the gear for a reason. Cmon guys this is silly. Not fair??? Its completely fair. You can grind just as much as the other player to get the same gear. They weren't handed gear. You cant even buy it.

I look at gear as skins and cosmetic changes to my character. I don't ever want to play with gear on so i choose to play ranked. Which is what the mode was intended for. The only thing i wish is i could play ranked sets. Having both options would be ideal. But im not gonna complain about a player using his gear that he earned and uses in a mode intended for gear.

Noob
Why are people complaining about the gear system?? We knew this was being implemented when the game was announced lol. The other player shouldn't be forced to turn gear off just bc you want to. They grind for the gear for a reason. Cmon guys this is silly. Not fair??? Its completely fair. You can grind just as much as the other player to get the same gear. They weren't handed gear. You cant even buy it.

I look at gear as skins and cosmetic changes to my character. I don't ever want to play with gear on so i choose to play ranked. Which is what the mode was intended for. The only thing i wish is i could play ranked sets. Having both options would be ideal. But im not gonna complain about a player using his gear that he earned and uses in a mode intended for gear.

The main complaint about it is that people want to have to turn gear on, and have it mutual. Not have to turn it off.

And my complaint about the gear is that it makes it easier for me to get cheap wins. Against my will. I don't want the assistance it gives. But I do want the cosmetic. Sometimes my net is to slow to play ranked against players in other countries. Sometimes I want to be able to rematch.

I know plenty of players who tried to get into fighting games with I2 and have dropped it because they don't like how hard it is against some over spec'd characters. I had to show a few how to turn the gear off, and they tried again, but then still had the problem where the majority of people wont turn it off. And they get wrecked playing ranked.

The whole issue will be solved if they make us have to turn gear on. Instead of off. At that point if the opponent doesn't want to play the game with the gear off then they can bail and get the negative effects on there rankings or whatever. It will also help a lot of new players have a fair match. I would imagine many think they have an advantage turning the gear on so they can handle better players without thinking the opponent they are facing can do the same thing. Happens a lot in RPGs.

The main complaint about it is that people want to have to turn gear on, and have it mutual. Not have to turn it off.
Having the gear be on or off doesn't make a difference. Making it mutual however is a big change and sounds like what you really want. You want to be able to force people to play with gear off for a mode intended to be used with gear lol. So that means you would basically sit at the stage select screen until the opponent selects gear to be turned off and if he quits he gets a loss??? Cmon man.

But I do want the cosmetic. Sometimes I want to be able to rematch.
This is something i can understand. But the solution is not to force people to turn gear off...its to give people a rematch option in ranked. Taking away the option from your opponent to use his gear does not solve this problem. And gear is already cosmetic. you can have your gear on in any game mode.

The whole issue will be solved if they make us have to turn gear on. Instead of off. At that point if the opponent doesn't want to play the game with the gear off then they can bail and get the negative effects on there rankings or whatever. It will also help a lot of new players have a fair match.
Its already fair bruh. You have to GRIND to get the gear. Every player is on the same playing field when they start out. My problem with the OP is that its basically asking "Is it fair that my opponent has better gear than me?". If you are looking for a "fair" match you need to hit up ranked. Player match is not meant to be played without gear. Im glad they gave us the option to turn it off. But the whole point of getting the gear is to use it. Those people earned it. So instead of asking NRS to force people to play with gear off on PLAYER MATCH i would encourage them to expand on ranked or give us a new mode where we can play sets without gear stats.

Having the gear be on or off doesn't make a difference. Making it mutual however is a big change and sounds like what you really want. You want to be able to force people to play with gear off for a mode intended to be used with gear lol. So that means you would basically sit at the stage select screen until the opponent selects gear to be turned off and if he quits he gets a loss??? Cmon man.

This is something i can understand. But the solution is not to force people to turn gear off...its to give people a rematch option in ranked. Taking away the option from your opponent to use his gear does not solve this problem. And gear is already cosmetic. you can have your gear on in any game mode.

Its already fair bruh. You have to GRIND to get the gear. Every player is on the same playing field when they start out. My problem with the OP is that its basically asking "Is it fair that my opponent has better gear than me?". If you are looking for a "fair" match you need to hit up ranked. Player match is not meant to be played without gear. Im glad they gave us the option to turn it off. But the whole point of getting the gear is to use it. Those people earned it. So instead of asking NRS to force people to play with gear off on PLAYER MATCH i would encourage them to expand on ranked or give us a new mode where we can play sets without gear stats.
The grind is the issue, gear is random, it's a lottery, it's uncontrollable.

If you're playing an mmo and you get your epic raid gear, it's the same as anyone else who gets the same gear. That's not what happens in injustice 2.

Gear acquisition isn't standardised, there aren't sets you should be aiming for that have have standardised stats. You just grind and hope. Two people can grind for the same time and end up with wildly different results.

There's so many ways the gear system is flawed, but there's only one way to guarantee it's off

Noob
They didn't grind for it, they didn't work hard for it, they didn't earn anything. They simply played the game and it came.

I don't want to sit at a stage select screen waiting for the opponent to turn their gear off. I want them to sit at the stage select screen waiting for me to turn it on.

Yes we do all start at the same place, but we don't get games with people on the same level gear wise, so we end up playing with vastly different gear stats. I don't think it is unfair. I simply think it is unfair that I am forced into a situation where I don't have to work to win because my gear is superior to somebody elses and I can floor them with a couple combos.

If the option was that we both had to agree to use gear it would solve a lot of problems people have with the game. Those that want to use gear will more often than not use it in a match because a lot of the newer players want it on. But those who don't want to use it will still be able to have some great games. If I play for an hour on any given evening, I will probably have 3 or 4 gear free fights. Because the majority play with it on.

But, if it was made so that I had to agree to it being turned on, I could never agree and I could enjoy all the fights I get in that hour. And that means I get all the games I want, but all the guys I face have to sacrifice one game where they don't get to use the gear. Since the majority is still the majority they will all find each other and get to play gear on.

Noob
I think referring to it as grinding is a bad thing to do. It isn't a grind. You don't have to go out of your way of what you are doing and focus on killing rats for 30 hours straight.

You get it for simply playing the game. And you get so much shit that you can sell for a stack dosh and buy more boxes to open. And since a massive portion of players are "auto grinding" it takes even more away from the whole system.

My point is that its equal opportunity. You can get as much gear as those guys get. It being random means that you all have the same chance of getting epic gear. That mode was designed for gear play which is why its turned on by default.

"I don't want to sit at a stage select screen waiting for the opponent to turn their gear off. I want them to sit at the stage select screen waiting for me to turn it on."

This still is a round about way of saying "I don't want my opponent to play with gear unless i want to. And if he doesn't like it he can quit and incur a loss". So your basically trying to force the opponent into a situation where he cant use his gear. This game mode was made for the gear bud. You guys just don't like gear period.

As i said before i don't play with gear on. I don't like the gear stats. they are fun sometimes to goof around but i like to play competitively. They have a mode for me and its Ranked. The only issue i see is i cant get in enough quality games bc its always 1 and done. They should be expanding on a mode without gear for competitive purposes. But that doesn't mean they should take it away from people bc people here want to have more matches with no gear.

I wish there was a version of player match with a no gear only option but i cant get mad at somebody wanting to use gear as it was intended.

My point is that its equal opportunity. You can get as much gear as those guys get. It being random means that you all have the same chance of getting epic gear. That mode was designed for gear play which is why its turned on by default.

"I don't want to sit at a stage select screen waiting for the opponent to turn their gear off. I want them to sit at the stage select screen waiting for me to turn it on."

This still is a round about way of saying "I don't want my opponent to play with gear unless i want to. And if he doesn't like it he can quit and incur a loss". So your basically trying to force the opponent into a situation where he cant use his gear. This game mode was made for the gear bud. You guys just don't like gear period.

As i said before i don't play with gear on. I don't like the gear stats. they are fun sometimes to goof around but i like to play competitively. They have a mode for me and its Ranked. The only issue i see is i cant get in enough quality games bc its always 1 and done. They should be expanding on a mode without gear for competitive purposes. But that doesn't mean they should take it away from people bc people here want to have more matches with no gear.

I wish there was a version of player match with a no gear only option but i cant get mad at somebody wanting to use gear as it was intended.
But your only option is ranked, if you want to play king of the hill, or just goof around with a new character without affecting ranked, there's no option.

It's not a case of just getting epic gear either. As I said, epic gear isn't equal. It's a lottery on top of a lottery.

If NRS wanted gear to be used, it would need to be implemented purposely, as it is, it doesn't even function for that. You don't grind for the gear you want, you just grind for more boxes that may have what you want.

The gear system is objectively a worthless and absolute failure

But your only option is ranked, if you want to play king of the hill, or just goof around with a new character without affecting ranked, there's no option.
"They have a mode for me and its Ranked. The only issue i see is i cant get in enough quality games bc its always 1 and done. They should be expanding on a mode without gear for competitive purposes" Directly from the post you quoted.

If NRS wanted gear to be used, it would need to be implemented purposely, as it is, it doesn't even function for that. You don't grind for the gear you want, you just grind for more boxes that may have what you want.
I'm not praising the gear system. The OP asked if it was fair to outgear your opponent. It completely is. Whether or not its a lottery does not change the fact that you have the same chances as the next man to get the gear you want. Since i don't play with gear stats i could care less how they are. I like the gear pieces for the character customization. But i also recognize that people do care about the gear stats and use them online in player match which was intentional.

"They have a mode for me and its Ranked. The only issue i see is i cant get in enough quality games bc its always 1 and done. They should be expanding on a mode without gear for competitive purposes" Directly from the post you quoted.

I'm not praising the gear system. The OP asked if it was fair to outgear your opponent. It completely is. Whether or not its a lottery does not change the fact that you have the same chances as the next man to get the gear you want. Since i don't play with gear stats i could care less how they are. I like the gear pieces for the character customization. But i also recognize that people do care about the gear stats and use them online in player match which was intentional.
I'm saying it's not fair because loot acquisition isn't balanced or fair, the stats aren't balanced, it's all too random.

It's completely unfair because it's all random. It could be so much better as a system, but it's just a trash random loot system

dansel

Noob
this game needs a new online mod: player match with tournament settings. the gear is cool, and there should be a place for a battle of well geared characters with custom abilitys. but i think it is very stupid to get raped, if you try to learn an new character and you opponent refuse the tournament settings and picks his level 20 main with godly rolled stats. yesterday i played with my level 10 scarecrow against a level 20 superman and got killed with 1.5 combos :(

Parasurama

Dragon
Most people on this forum (I think) want to get better and choose competitive mode since they may compete and want to get experience. Most people in general want to win online and experience the gear/RPG thing.

Each unto their own but I think that competitive mode should be changed for both characters if one person wants it. Enabling gear and stats should be a conscious choice... because it is 'fair' especially if you are learning a character and they are new.

Last edited:

zabugi

The only Real Master
Since both players can customize their characters I see no point in asking whether its fair or not. Just get the best gear for ur character and get to mopping.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
When I look godlike with my leveled 20 gear and my opponent has default looking gear, yeah, I pity them.

Noob

Exactly. I don't want them to play with gear if I don't. Just as they force me to play with gear on against my will.

According to the stats the majority are playing gear on, I assume that's mostly against their will. But assumption aside, this indicates that the minority want gear off, so forcing players to turn gear on is a better option than turning gear off. Because I will be able to always play gear off, and the people I play against can have a game against me with their gear forced to be off and then go back to gear on with the majority. Its unfair that the minority must play more games in the way they don't want to and the majority never have to play against their preferred option at all.

I don't think its fair.

A noob will jump on thinking he has some Godlike gear, refuse to turn it off and I do some average combo that rapes with the extra damage. And he runs away with some shitty defeated attitude. Making him sour against me and the game. Its hard enough trying to balance total noob annihilation and giving them a chance to make sure the community doesn't fall to pieces because we aren't holding on to the newer players. The added gear I am forced to use makes it impossible for a noob to do shit.

But mostly, I just don't want the advantage, and I don't want 1 game per opponent in ranked.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

I agree largely with what you're saying.. but, just because I have gear, doesnt mean I did anything to earn it.

Case in point, right now, my PS4 is running an Endless AI tower with Ivy to level her. I have it set to AI, AI set to 30 in Rushdown and Combo. I have my fightstick plugged in with its turbo option on, mashing X like a maniac... So at the end of each match my fight stick just clicks AI Ivy into the next match. It'll go until she loses, which with most characters is 30~ matches in. I use the same technique to beat towers and multiverse stuff. It also auto-rematches when it loses in regular towers (endless obviously backs back out and if I dont stop it, chooses endless again, picks player controlled Batman, and then just mashes his st.3 until it loses, which is actually about 4-5 matches in.. though once it made it to around 8.

Why am I doing this? To collect gear for no reason other than random cosmetics, unlock shaders and level characters when Im not actually playing the game. It takes, I dunno, counting loading times, 1-2m to get her running a new tower when one is beat so if my GF or niece arent using my PS and I feel like it, I set it up and let it grind away. I *SHOULD* have friggen abused the 30m to lv20 strategy more heavily and gotten everyone there instead of like a third of the cast.. but they patched it out. =[

Im not posting this to brag about a bunch of pointless gear, I play exclusively pre-arranged sets so its not something that affects me. I'm just saying that just because someone has a bunch of crazy gear it doesnt necessarily mean they earned it, lol. Ive NEVER played a match against another player with Aqua, Adam or Deadshot and I have gear sets that give them 2900-3000+ str and abil with 2500~ Def lol.