What's new

Do you consider out gearing your opponent fair?

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Oh shit! I played the OP! Plays gear on only and rages on the mic lol!

The topic answer is obvious OP. No wonder you always pick gear on.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
I tried playing you with gear off and you wouldn't, beat my sub and ran when I went to character select for my main, while raging on the mic. You play Atrocitus too man cmon!

Admiral_Agony

Weapon Design Engineer LMMFC
I tried playing you with gear off and you wouldn't, beat my sub and ran when I went to character select for my main. You play Atrocitus too man cmon!
You're probably the Wonder Woman user who isn't too happy about losing with better gear. Either way, Atrocitus isn't even the best character on this roster, high tier sure, but not the best.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Lol no! Joker sub, Cheetah main. You ran after one win with gear on.

And LOL at that Atrocitus downplay bro. Be real.

Admiral_Agony

Lol no! Joker sub, Cheetah main. You ran after one win with gear on.

And LOL at that Atrocitus downplay bro. Be real.
He's better than Black Adam? Huh....Interesting...

Unless you were someone I was trolling I have no memory of this, as I do tend to troll a lot on player matches.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Atrocitus is arguably a top 5 character ATM, and yes, you did run after beating my Joker one game while raging on the mic. Denial is real lol.

Admiral_Agony

Funny how I keep getting called out for playing Atrocitus who's high tier when I mained Ferra\Torr in MKX and I used Atrocitus in the beta because he just looked awesome and I fell in love with his design and rush down. No one in the beta initially knew who was the best of the limited bunch, I just mained who I thought would appeal to me.

Admiral_Agony

Atrocitus is arguably a top 5 character ATM, and yes, you did run after beating my Joker one game while raging on the mic. Denial is real lol.
Top 5 sure. You saying it's denial doesn't make it so. You wouldn't be the first person who was salty they lost to me and attempted to insult me.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Play whoever you want, I don't care. You bought the game, no one should decide who you use. Just don't downplay and deny that you ran lol.

Admiral_Agony

Play whoever you want, I don't care. You bought the game, no one should decide who you use. Just don't downplay and deny that you ran lol.
Not downplaying I said he wasn't the best, that would easily go to Black Adam. I ran? If I beat you once and wanted to leave that's not running. I have no way of remembering every single person I play with. I may have had to go to the bathroom, I may have ordered food and wanted to eat it. If you want a run back, politely ask for one, because whatever it is your trying to do right now is only confusing me.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
The problem isn't that it isn't fair. It's that two very different groups of people are in strong disagreement on what the terms of battle will be and what skills are to be rewarded / apply to the terms of victory.

The core TYM crowd wants to let things like reactions, engine knowledge, character knowledge , and generic fighting mechanic mastery alone to define victory.

The other group wants to apply progression, and stat hacking to influence it, or to just get paid off for their time and monetary investment. They are both valid but neither group is going to understand one another but are forced to constantly try to negotiate a compromise nobody wants every time they meet someone.

It's ultimately just as unfair to expect someone to play your way as it is for them to expect you to play theirs. It's not a fair situation for either camp. I don't see any point in getting frustrated in the players when the problem is the lack of options for finding players that want to play the same way you do.

Admiral_Agony

The problem isn't that it isn't fair. It's that two very different groups of people are in strong disagreement on what the terms of battle will be and what skills are to be rewarded / apply to the terms of victory.

The core TYM crowd wants to let things like reactions, engine knowledge, character knowledge , and generic fighting mechanic mastery alone to define victory.

The other group wants to apply progression, and stat hacking to influence it, or to just get paid off for their time and monetary investment. They are both valid but neither group is going to understand one another but are forced to constantly try to negotiate a compromise nobody wants every time they meet someone.

It's ultimately just as unfair to expect someone to play your way as it is for them to expect you to play theirs. It's not a fair situation for either camp. I don't see any point in getting frustrated in the players when the problem is the lack of options for finding players that want to play the same way you do.
I suppose that's a fair perspective. My only issue in this particular fight against the Wonder Woman player, was that with his/her gear being significantly better than mine in every category was somehow perfectly fair. My epic sets I have equipped in most cases are worse than some of most of my blue gear(explain that one to me lol)and is only what I have made up to make what I think are awesome looking costumes.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
You weren't polite on the mic and had a scrubby attitude, (like who complains about Joker with Atrocitus while winning ffs?) so why should I be polite to you? We can run it back any time late night. Gear off, and don't sulk this time.

Admiral_Agony

You weren't polite on the mic and had a scrubby attitude, (like who complains about Joker with Atrocitus while winning ffs?) so why should I be polite to you? We can run it back any time late night. Gear off, and don't sulk this time.
I may have on he mic complained about certain characters because a lot of injustices mechanics are still new to me. I didn't understand combos and frame data until I got into MKX. I know for an fact I don't go insulting players on the mic, I may complain about the game mechanics from time to time but my frustration is never purposely targeting another player. My gamer rage gets the best of me sometimes but it's never directed at players, just the game. I'm sorry if whatever I may or may not have said in a match that may or may not have happened offended you, but don't do out of my way to insult people or send hatemail, which is why despite all you're saying about me now I'm still not throwing it back at you.

Admiral_Agony

gear is fun :)

it can be nice to have a handicap too depending on who your playing against.
I wish I could have stats off abilities on. I play a lot of Robin along with Atrocitus and the staff of Grayson is so much fun. I wish I had the knowledge I do now when I played the first injustice I would've mained Nightwing so fast lol

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I suppose that's a fair perspective. My only issue in this particular fight against the Wonder Woman player, was that with his/her gear being significantly better than mine in every category was somehow perfectly fair. My epic sets I have equipped in most cases are worse than some of most of my blue gear(explain that one to me lol)and is only what I have made up to make what I think are awesome looking costumes.
That's what a gear battle is; you can be beat by the stats. You were forced to play on those terms and your "skill" is only a portion of what factors into victory.

Is it fair that you got sucked into terms you would not have preferred because the game can't group you with like minded people? I'd say not really. But then you aren't really respecting or investing in those terms, so I really wouldn't put any emotional investment into the loss. You are going to win some, and lose some, and ultimately be a lot more than your IJ2 win loss ratio. Let it be, and only count the those games that use competition mode.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I fucking hate the gear system. It makes it so that the game rewards you for just playing longer instead of playing better, what this means is that you can get more successful over time using the exact same ticking strategy. You can trash a much better player by doing random shit with supergirl because she has an epic butt plug of Zor el or whatever that makes her take no damage from punishes. Just casualized cancer.

Admiral_Agony

That's what a gear battle is; you can be beat by the stats. You were forced to play on those terms and your "skill" is only a portion of what factors into victory.

Is it fair that you got sucked into terms you would not have preferred because the game can't group you with like minded people? I'd say not really. But then you aren't really respecting or investing in those terms, so I really wouldn't put any emotional investment into the loss. You are going to win some, and lose some, and ultimately be a lot more than your IJ2 win loss ratio. Let it be, and only count the those games that use competition mode.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. I didn't realize how much depth there was to these games until I got into mkx and learned about the pro scene. I thought going from MKX to injustice 2 would be an easy transition but it hasn't been...I'm learning and improving every day but the injustice 2 is really demanding a higher level of execution from me than MKX. I was one of the lucky ones to get in on the beta and my lord did it humble me fast. By the time the beta was said and done I had won a lot more than I lost but I had so many more questions at the end than I felt I had answers.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
Before anyone States the obvious, I'm aware ranked disables gear by default.

Now, for those who wish to find people in player match to play longish sets, do you think it's fair if an opponent intentionally goes to pick a character with significantly better gear than yours?
I play people in Player Matches, and often times, they're willing to go gearless. When I start winning consecutively, they tend to go back and quickly re-enable gear on their end and pick the stage before I can back out. I've many times let this rock, because for some people, giving their 'better' opponent a handicap makes them feel more competitive, and that's fine and all, but they aren't learning. And if you aren't learning in a fighting game, what's the point at all?

Admiral_Agony

I play people in Player Matches, and often times, they're willing to go gearless. When I start winning consecutively, they tend to go back and quickly re-enable gear on their end and pick the stage before I can back out. I've many times let this rock, because for some people, giving their 'better' opponent a handicap makes them feel more competitive, and that's fine and all, but they aren't learning. And if you aren't learning in a fighting game, what's the point at all?
That's what I'm trying to hard to do is learn but I feel like I'm so far behind that I didn't get into injustice 1 like I should've. At the time not knowing there was a pro scene or a galaxies worth of tech and mechanics. I've been doing A LOT better since the beta days but I'll be darned if I said it's been easy.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Wait... So you played this dude. Wouldn't turn of gear, and then we're upset that his gear was higher than yours?

I feel like I'm missing a piece of this story.

Admiral_Agony

Wait... So you played this dude. Wouldn't turn of gear, and then we're upset that his gear was higher than yours?

I feel like I'm missing a piece of this story.
Two different dudes, and I have no memory of this fight where I wouldn't turn my gear off. The only times I'm adamant about not turning my gear off is when I'm trying to troll with the staff of Grayson which lately has only been backfiring on me xD

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Two different dudes, and I have no memory of this fight where I wouldn't turn my gear off. The only times I'm adamant about not turning my gear off is when I'm trying to troll with the staff of Grayson which lately has only been backfiring on me xD
Yeah. Sounds like it is.